Any chance for a PvP-only AMA?

kKagari.6804

> @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > @vorpal.1497 said:

> > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > I'm out of the office this week. I can look into seeing what we might be able to do next week. No promises.

> >

> > "I'm on vacation and therefore have tons of free time for stuff like this, but I hate this job and this product and want nothing to do with it outside of paid time"

>

> I actually really like my work. But my time off is family time. Just the fact I'm here looking at forums on my time off should tell you something.

Just so you know, although I do express my opinions about the state of the game and what I feel about the decisions being made, this thread is a really good one and it would do wonders in my eyes if you followed through with it.

Any chance you could discuss these possible changes and Anet's goal for PvP with top PvPers like Chaithh or Helseth to gather their input as well? I would greatly appreciate it, as would many others.

> @shadowpass.4236 said:

> > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > @vorpal.1497 said:

> > > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > I'm out of the office this week. I can look into seeing what we might be able to do next week. No promises.

> > >

> > > "I'm on vacation and therefore have tons of free time for stuff like this, but I hate this job and this product and want nothing to do with it outside of paid time"

> >

> > I actually really like my work. But my time off is family time. Just the fact I'm here looking at forums on my time off should tell you something.

>

> Just so you know, although I do express my opinions about the state of the game and what I feel about the decisions being made, this thread is a really good one and it would do wonders in my eyes if you followed through with it.

>

> Any chance you could discuss these possible changes and Anet's goal for PvP with top PvPers like Chaithh or Helseth to gather their input as well? I would greatly appreciate it, as would many others.

I did PM chaith, have not yet got a response :(

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > @vorpal.1497 said:

> > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > I'm out of the office this week. I can look into seeing what we might be able to do next week. No promises.

> >

> > "I'm on vacation and therefore have tons of free time for stuff like this, but I hate this job and this product and want nothing to do with it outside of paid time"

>

> I actually really like my work. But my time off is family time. Just the fact I'm here looking at forums on my time off should tell you something.

Good answer. Not everyone is a workaholic. I recently moved on from a position that required 65+ hours per week every week. Of course since it was salary I only got paid for 40. Why would someone voluntarily spend more time working and not getting paid for it? And why would someone have a problem with someone who doesn’t work on their time off.

Time off is supposed to be time off and should be for family. I think that you posting on time off does say a lot about you caring for what you do. I don’t even take my work computer home when I’m on PTO let alone do anything work related.

My first day in the forums and Ben already seems like an awesome dev.

I completely agree with the need of voice and fast comms, two of the most important things in any competitive game/mode (which includes WvW, but that is a topic for another thread). I'm pretty sure everyone have experienced intense games where a second could make all the difference and having not to type during this time would definitely open the PvP scene to more strategic and 'decision impacting' games.

I also agree with proper tutorials, maybe in a form of a video/cinematic in-game for new players. Both in the Heart of The Mist and also outside of it for the newly created characters or account at least. I've met a lot of new players who are too afraid to click on the crossed swords icon. According to them they're not ready for PvP because they don't have a decent armor set yet. We're different than most other games out there in all the good ways but I feel like we don't clear these misconceptions well enough. When I first started Guild Wars 2, I only did PvE and quit after a couple months. I discovered PvP around a year later, and it was what made me stayed and eventually explore all the other things the game has to offer.

I'm not sure if it's doable, but maybe we can have the new players play an AI game or two before jumping into a real PvP match. Have the Professions NPCs capture, decap points and defend objectives in a proper game. It could also be an option for them later on if they wanna practice again but since its a PvP game mode, they won't get rewards and experience for playing AI games.

tl;dr

YES to PvP AMA!