New Appreciation from an Old Veteran (Spoilers)

I just played through the final battle with Zaitan on an old alt that skipped this story step (most of my alts have). I wanted to get this step done with once and for all because this char's story journal is messed up. Recently I used a level up to 80 when PoF came out and played through the personal story on a new character (not this one) and became re-familiarized with the story . I asked in LFG for a group but no one joined so I soloed it. With our advanced specializations, we can, but that is not the point of my post. I remember people were upset that we did not personally attack Zaitan and just stood at cannons. We did not see or care that the choices we made in the story enabled our defeat of him. Solo. I was actually more aware of what we were doing in the instance and paid more attention to what the NPCs were saying. Now knowing what has happened since has made the ending of the core personal story very poignant.

Haters will always post something negative in response, but I challenge you to do what I did.

> @"Mordule Standish.2371" said:

>

>

> > @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > The final story instance to kill Zhaitan was nerfed to be able to be done solo a long time ago.

> >

> > There is no Arah story now, as it is that final instance Victory or Death.

> >

>

> The nerf was not my point. Reading is fundamental but comprehension doesn't always follow.

I didn’t see any point to your post other than your understanding of the story itself, which is a personal thing. Poignant that it won’t be altered to be a real fight, sure. Anet learned from that though. And a challenge to do what exactly? Feel what you feel? Do the story solo?

> @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > @"Mordule Standish.2371" said:

> >

> >

> > > @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > > The final story instance to kill Zhaitan was nerfed to be able to be done solo a long time ago.

> > >

> > > There is no Arah story now, as it is that final instance Victory or Death.

> > >

> >

> > The nerf was not my point. Reading is fundamental but comprehension doesn't always follow.

>

> I didn’t see any point to your post other than your understanding of the story itself, which is a personal thing. Poignant that it won’t be altered to be a real fight, sure. Anet learned from that though. And a challenge to do what exactly? Feel what you feel? Do the story solo?

The point of my post is completely personal and I am not ashamed of that. Do you lurk here just to attack positive personal opinions?

Everyone's mileage varies. I've only soloed it, and personally most of what I recall is all of my "helpful" NPCs standing in the cabin and doing nothing at all, then afterwords babbling as if they had. While at times I am happy to mechanically do a story instance well, I don't feel that walking to my marks and performing my scripted actions in someone else's bad play is much of anything. Our story choices have no bearing beyond pass/fail, we all fight the same last battle regardless.

I'm happy for you that you had this epiphany but simply exhorting others to have the same doesn't really work.

Victory or Death was very personal for me and I took great joy gunning those dragons from the sky. The shadow they casts, shadowed the ones I loved and lost. I fought alone, sort of, Caithe was sort of there? So were all the others, but, yes, the final battle was bitter-sweet. When I saw Zhaitan fall, I cheered and woke my dog up. Oops. (sorry your majesty, it won't happen again) The battles leading up to Victory or Death filled me with determination. (can't spell determination without termination...) I wanted more than anything to see everyone happy.

> > > @"Mordule Standish.2371" said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > > > The final story instance to kill Zhaitan was nerfed to be able to be done solo a long time ago.

> > > >

> > > > There is no Arah story now, as it is that final instance Victory or Death.

> > > >

> > >

> > > The nerf was not my point. Reading is fundamental but comprehension doesn't always follow.

> >

> > I didn’t see any point to your post other than your understanding of the story itself, which is a personal thing. Poignant that it won’t be altered to be a real fight, sure. Anet learned from that though. And a challenge to do what exactly? Feel what you feel? Do the story solo?

>

> The point of my post is completely personal and I am not ashamed of that. Do you lurk here just to attack positive personal opinions?

It's the internet.

> > > @"Mordule Standish.2371" said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > > > The final story instance to kill Zhaitan was nerfed to be able to be done solo a long time ago.

> > > >

> > > > There is no Arah story now, as it is that final instance Victory or Death.

> > > >

> > >

> > > The nerf was not my point. Reading is fundamental but comprehension doesn't always follow.

> >

> > I didn’t see any point to your post other than your understanding of the story itself, which is a personal thing. Poignant that it won’t be altered to be a real fight, sure. Anet learned from that though. And a challenge to do what exactly? Feel what you feel? Do the story solo?

>

> The point of my post is completely personal and I am not ashamed of that. Do you lurk here just to attack positive personal opinions?

It wasnt just a positive personal opinion though. It was a request of other players.

I find victory or death a bore regardless of doing it solo or with a group in ye olde days. Think about. Its literally just 3 boss fights, followed by a rail shooter, followed by another boss fight, followed by another rail shooter that last like 20 minutes. Its long, its boring, its rushed. Well however something so slow can feel rushed. It gives me zero emotion.

TL;DR Logan should have died.

> @Dawdler.8521 said:

> I find victory or death a bore regardless of doing it solo or with a group in ye olde days. Think about. Its literally just 3 boss fights, followed by a rail shooter, followed by another boss fight, followed by another rail shooter that last like 20 minutes. Its long, its boring, its rushed. Well however something so slow can feel rushed. It gives me zero emotion.

>

> TL;DR Logan should have died.

Pretty much this. My issue with Logan in that mission is that there are two ends to any cable. Why stay behind to cut it at ground level rather than cut it on the ship?

Stupidity should not be rewarded with survival. That was a darwin award moment and should have ended accordingly.

> @Dawdler.8521 said:

> I find victory or death a bore regardless of doing it solo or with a group in ye olde days. Think about. Its literally just 3 boss fights, followed by a rail shooter, followed by another boss fight, followed by another rail shooter that last like 20 minutes. Its long, its boring, its rushed. Well however something so slow can feel rushed. It gives me zero emotion.

>

> TL;DR Logan should have died.

I'm laughing harder than I should it this. It's like "Retreat!"..."Block"! imminent death using plot shield! It's super effective! In the meantime, Zhaitan is sort of polishing his talons and buffing them, wondering how long it's going to take for them to realize he's just chilling. 'Cause that's what dragons do? Something like that.