Why it's so hard to get to legend.

Interpretor.3091

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about what tier i'm in, but i REALLY care about match quality.

Look at that matches log, it's ridiculous. These matches could NEVER be won by the losing team because there's an insane skill gap between the teams.

502 x 73? 501 x 184? 501 x 161? 502 x 50? There's, maybe, 3 quality matches on your history.

Look how this matchmaking got sorted out:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/f0/74/f0f07426abef9adf295c7f663cf2bc0f.jpg

> @Crinn.7864 said:

> > @huehuehueh.5106 said:

> > Its because you dont multiclass, but hey you got 2 raptor loot boxes so its all worth it in the end.

>

> Last time I checked practically none of the people that get legend multiclass.

1. Steelrage (Mirage)

2. tehmaverick (Mirage?)

3. Moobs (Firebrand/Dragonhunter?)

4. Ambi (Thief)

5. Arken (Firebrand)

6. controlfreak (Firebrand)

7. tsawr (Firebrand?/DH/thief?)

8. Vacheron (?)

9. Chaith (Holosmith)

10. Ryan (Firebrand)

Currently most of the top 10 are Guard/Firebrand mains. Shows how strong Firebrand support is in conquest right now...

> @Malafaia.8903 said:

> I don't care about what tier i'm in, but i REALLY care about match quality.

> Look at that matches log, it's ridiculous. These matches could NEVER be won by the losing team because there's an insane skill gap between the teams.

>

> 502 x 73? 501 x 184? 501 x 161? 502 x 50? There's, maybe, 3 quality matches on your history.

> Look how this matchmaking got sorted out:

> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/f0/74/f0f07426abef9adf295c7f663cf2bc0f.jpg

I actually only queue on 'prime time' (6pm - 11pm mostly) and actually TRY and get good fights and fun games..and most of them actually were a lot of fun and close... contrary to what you think. It was something I was trying recently. First half of this season (first 50 games) I only played on non-prime time hours as Core Warrior and maxxed out at like 1600-1620.

Now I only play prime time NA and I'm actually playing Spellbreaker and get teamed with and against some solid players who I know are good and know the game. I rocketed up 150 more rating after that...HOWEVER, that being said, I have noticed that I will see like 2-3 players on both teams who are good and then 1-2 players who, when I look up their rank, are WAY too low to be playing with and have no business being that high. It's interesting when I see people on my friends list who are closer to my rank and who are in DIFFERENT matches at the same time. IDK why it doesn't just put everyone at my rating together in the same match.

> @Jeknar.6184 said:

> The best part is that your first loss pretty much invalidade your past 3 matches and still leave you at a -1 defict.

Yep, game eventually punishes you hard for winning too much lol. And to put it into perspective, that loss has Ryan on the other team. Who is currently top 15 consistently (same ranks as me right now).

Aaaand another proof of how wonky is MM and rank gain/loss system. As long as MM's goal are fast queues and rank gain/loss system assumes that match was fair and considers only your personal MMR vs avg enemy MMR and doesn't take your teammates into account, all of us will continue to see such numbers. It actually gets worse - the higher you are ranked, the more hilarious (in sad sense) it gets +3, -50, +0, +5 (yes, it is a thing).

Besides mentioned, imo, flawed ranked system, it is also very lonely on the top (hello low population).

> @Interpretor.3091 said:

> > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > @huehuehueh.5106 said:

> > > Its because you dont multiclass, but hey you got 2 raptor loot boxes so its all worth it in the end.

> >

> > Last time I checked practically none of the people that get legend multiclass.

>

> 1. Steelrage (CHRONO)

> 2. tehmaverick (Mirage?)

> 3. Moobs (Zeromis, POWER MIRAGE)

> 4. Ambi (Thief)

> 5. Arken (Firebrand)

> 6. controlfreak (Firebrand)

> 7. tsawr (Firebrand?/DH/thief?)

> 8. Vacheron (?)

> 9. Chaith (Holosmith)

> 10. Ryan (Firebrand)

>

> Currently most of the top 10 are Guard/Firebrand mains. Shows how strong Firebrand support is in conquest right now...

> @Chaith.8256 said:

> > @Interpretor.3091 said:

> > > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > > @huehuehueh.5106 said:

> > > > Its because you dont multiclass, but hey you got 2 raptor loot boxes so its all worth it in the end.

> > >

> > > Last time I checked practically none of the people that get legend multiclass.

> >

> > 1. Steelrage (CHRONO)

> > 2. tehmaverick (Mirage?)

> > 3. Moobs (Zeromis, POWER MIRAGE)

> > 4. Ambi (Thief)

> > 5. Arken (Firebrand)

> > 6. controlfreak (Firebrand)

> > 7. tsawr (Firebrand?/DH/thief?)

> > 8. Vacheron (?)

> > 9. Chaith (Holosmith)

> > 10. Ryan (Firebrand)

> >

> > Currently most of the top 10 are Guard/Firebrand mains. Shows how strong Firebrand support is in conquest right now...

>

>

Thanks, wasn't too sure. I didn't realise how versatile mesmer was right now when it came to builds.

> @Chaith.8256 said:

> > > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > > Its because you dont multiclass, but hey you got 2 raptor loot boxes so its all worth it in the end.

> > >

> > > Last time I checked practically none of the people that get legend multiclass.

> >

> > 2. tehmaverick (Mirage?)

> > 4. Ambi (Thief)

> > 5. Arken (Firebrand)

> > 8. Vacheron (?)

> > 10. Ryan (Firebrand)

> >

> > Currently most of the top 10 are Guard/Firebrand mains. Shows how strong Firebrand support is in conquest right now...

>

>

We could say same about Mirage, Mirage is also #1 on EU.

> @Chaith.8256 said:

> > > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > >

> >

> > 2. tehmaverick (thief)

> > 4. Ambi (Thief)

> > 5. Arken (Firebrand)

> > 8. Vacheron (?)

> > 10. Ryan (Firebrand)

> >

>

>

Not saying this to toot my own horn but just to throw another class into the mix. I was 1830 yesterday and am currently 1782 (RIP -40), but don't show up on the leaderboard because I was on vacation during the start of the season so I haven't quite met the game minimum yet. Hopefully soon.

This was done 100% on spellbreaker. SB still pretty strong.

It helps to play close to prime time and avoid ranked during crazy off peak times, such as 3 am. At least in EU that makes a huge difference, because during PT you'll have similar rated or slightly lower rated players in your team while offpeak it reaches down to Gold League and you gain little vom wins yet get heavily punished for losses. That is speaking from a Plat T3 perspective on EU, might be a bit different on NA with their several time zones. I often play late night but usually avoid ranked after 1am, because I'll just have crazy matches of which some are unwinnable and yet still cost me a ton of rating.

> @Cynz.9437 said:

> Aaaand another proof of how wonky is MM and rank gain/loss system. As long as MM's goal are fast queues and rank gain/loss system assumes that match was fair and considers only your personal MMR vs avg enemy MMR and doesn't take your teammates into account, all of us will continue to see such numbers. It actually gets worse - the higher you are ranked, the more hilarious (in sad sense) it gets +3, -50, +0, +5 (yes, it is a thing).

> Besides mentioned, imo, flawed ranked system, it is also very lonely on the top (hello low population).

Regardless of whether the MM should make fast and low quality or slow and high quality, the fact is personal mmr vs average of enemy team is the most accurate way to represent the skill level of someone under the given parameters. There is a nice 20-30 page research paper that goes into detail and explains it well for those who did not take the time to research or just do not understand how glicko2 works.

However back to the topic of fast/ low quality vs slow/ high quality, it is fairly subjective based on where you are on the ladder. My opinion at plat 1 rating it is fine as is. No system will have amazing matches because every system is human derived that can't possibly take into account human error. Those that believe they can do better I highly encourage you to research and derive a system to prove me wrong that such a system exists. But until then complaining about why something works the way it does without knowing how it works accomplishes nothing.

> @Interpretor.3091 said:

> > @Jeknar.6184 said:

> > The best part is that your first loss pretty much invalidade your past 3 matches and still leave you at a -1 defict.

>

> Yep, game eventually punishes you hard for winning too much lol. And to put it into perspective, that loss has Ryan on the other team. Who is currently top 15 consistently (same ranks as me right now).

The reason you are getting punished is the two people on the other team who's rating is way below yours are lowering the rating of the team you lose to.

> @"Faux Play.6104" said:

> > > @Jeknar.6184 said:

> > > The best part is that your first loss pretty much invalidade your past 3 matches and still leave you at a -1 defict.

> >

> > Yep, game eventually punishes you hard for winning too much lol. And to put it into perspective, that loss has Ryan on the other team. Who is currently top 15 consistently (same ranks as me right now).

>

> The reason you are getting punished is the two people on the other team who's rating is way below yours are lowering the rating of the team you lose to.

What avout the two people on my team whos rating is also low and is largly the reason we lost the game?