Seeing who thumbed someone down may not be so wise

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> @Zavve.8205 said:

> Even though it technically does not do anything actually harmful, I can see if some people may be kinda bothered if they look at their account stats and see 300 thumbs down lol.

>

> IDK maybe remove the thumbs down stat tracker on our account page? Just a suggestion, either way I am sure some forum things will be adjusted in the near future.

Wouldn't that be an indication to start making better posts?

Or a way to realize that your opinions may be contrary to everyone else.

> @Wolfey.3407 said:

> I think keeping thumbs up and thumbs down is fine... I do believe that seeing who did what is a bad idea.. not to mention also, that it clutters up the post quite a bit. I can see this being a massive annoyance on developer posts where you will probably get a few hundred combined thumbs up and down.

Yeeaah.. Just waiting for one of those "game is too hard/easy" threads or the "anti-meter/meta" thread that boils over into a thumb-slinging bloodbath.

There will be icons *everywhere*.

> @particlepinata.9865 said:

> > @Ashamir.9574 said:

> > I don't know if this is case, but if you're right it's a things that should be looked into, in my opinion.

> > If people can see who down-voted them, it might discourage people to act on their opinion because their fear retribution.

>

> You can see them under your posts, scrolling over the avatars.

Yep. Also gives you the date and time it happened. lol.

> @Rauderi.8706 said:

> > @Wolfey.3407 said:

> > I think keeping thumbs up and thumbs down is fine... I do believe that seeing who did what is a bad idea.. not to mention also, that it clutters up the post quite a bit. I can see this being a massive annoyance on developer posts where you will probably get a few hundred combined thumbs up and down.

>

> Yeeaah.. Just waiting for one of those "game is too hard/easy" threads or the "anti-meter/meta" thread that boils over into a thumb-slinging bloodbath.

>

> There will be icons *everywhere*.

Oh gods...that mental image is terrifying.

Still, I have to wonder how many icons an individual post can support. I mean, if you potentially get 100s of ups, does it eventually condense in some way? Make the images smaller? Or does it just keep stacking them, turning the page into a giant scrolling wall of icons? Anyone wanna test this insanity with me?

I actually like the idea of being able to see how many people agreed or disagreed with my posts in a quick count. I often post ideas I think people might like, but if I'm wrong I want to know. Of course the actual posts will be more effective for finding out _why_ that is, and what may need changing to make an idea workable, but the up/down vote count makes a good summary.

Of course it might help that I have a pretty thick skin and more than my fair of experience with internet forums. People down voting my posts isn't going to bother me that much.

> @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

> > @Rauderi.8706 said:

> > > @Wolfey.3407 said:

> > > I think keeping thumbs up and thumbs down is fine... I do believe that seeing who did what is a bad idea.. not to mention also, that it clutters up the post quite a bit. I can see this being a massive annoyance on developer posts where you will probably get a few hundred combined thumbs up and down.

> >

> > Yeeaah.. Just waiting for one of those "game is too hard/easy" threads or the "anti-meter/meta" thread that boils over into a thumb-slinging bloodbath.

> >

> > There will be icons *everywhere*.

>

> Oh gods...that mental image is terrifying.

>

> Still, I have to wonder how many icons an individual post can support. I mean, if you potentially get 100s of ups, does it eventually condense in some way? Make the images smaller? Or does it just keep stacking them, turning the page into a giant scrolling wall of icons? Anyone wanna test this insanity with me?

OP got a second row of icons now LuL.

> @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

> > @Rauderi.8706 said:

> > > @Wolfey.3407 said:

> > > I think keeping thumbs up and thumbs down is fine... I do believe that seeing who did what is a bad idea.. not to mention also, that it clutters up the post quite a bit. I can see this being a massive annoyance on developer posts where you will probably get a few hundred combined thumbs up and down.

> >

> > Yeeaah.. Just waiting for one of those "game is too hard/easy" threads or the "anti-meter/meta" thread that boils over into a thumb-slinging bloodbath.

> >

> > There will be icons *everywhere*.

>

> Oh gods...that mental image is terrifying.

>

> Still, I have to wonder how many icons an individual post can support. I mean, if you potentially get 100s of ups, does it eventually condense in some way? Make the images smaller? Or does it just keep stacking them, turning the page into a giant scrolling wall of icons? Anyone wanna test this insanity with me?

If this is the case, I want to collaborate with a bunch of people to strategically like a post in such a way that their profile icons create a photographic mosaic.

• ArenaNet Staff

First, I want to say that I agree with feedback that the avatars are a wee bit too large. I've put in a lower-priority request for us to revisit them. I'm not sure if it's possible to redo that aspect, but I want us to take a look.

Second, let's give this "visibility" a little time, and see how it goes. There are positives: No stealth "thumbs down" sprees. There may be negatives: a clutter of icons and possible social implications. I'd like to revisit this in a week or so and see where we stand, from both a forum member and administrator perspective.

Thanks for the input. You are more than welcome to also share your thoughts in the official feedback thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/269

> @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

> > @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

> > > @Rauderi.8706 said:

> > > > @Wolfey.3407 said:

> > > > I think keeping thumbs up and thumbs down is fine... I do believe that seeing who did what is a bad idea.. not to mention also, that it clutters up the post quite a bit. I can see this being a massive annoyance on developer posts where you will probably get a few hundred combined thumbs up and down.

> > >

> > > Yeeaah.. Just waiting for one of those "game is too hard/easy" threads or the "anti-meter/meta" thread that boils over into a thumb-slinging bloodbath.

> > >

> > > There will be icons *everywhere*.

> >

> > Oh gods...that mental image is terrifying.

> >

> > Still, I have to wonder how many icons an individual post can support. I mean, if you potentially get 100s of ups, does it eventually condense in some way? Make the images smaller? Or does it just keep stacking them, turning the page into a giant scrolling wall of icons? Anyone wanna test this insanity with me?

>

> OP got a second row of icons now LuL.

Yeah, but we're still under 30 (when I checked). We need a much larger pool. What happens at 100, 200, 500? Basically we need each unique person on the forum for the next month to up, down, or helpful, one specific post.

> @SkyShroud.2865 said:

> > @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

> > Thumbs up/down/helpful should be seen only as a number. There is no point showing the name.

>

> But you just demonstrated how it can be easily abused by thumbdowning every single post in this thread.

Yup. But if they wanna have thumbs up and down they should consider removing the names.

This is how it works on Paradox forum. ![](https://puu.sh/xy5gB/dc83eba4c1.png "")

While I'm still sticking to my previous post (after all it's only been, what, half an hour?) about removing names and icons from the forward facing part of the site, I have to admit I'm getting a chuckle out of all the up and down votes. The up and helpful votes make me feel little fuzzy too, which also makes me giggle cause it really shouldn't. And yet at the same time, seeing the same person up vote most of my posts tickles the little 'stalker!' flag in the back of my mind too. I'm having way too much fun with this.

> @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

> > @SkyShroud.2865 said:

> > > @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

> > > Thumbs up/down/helpful should be seen only as a number. There is no point showing the name.

> >

> > But you just demonstrated how it can be easily abused by thumbdowning every single post in this thread.

>

> Yup. But if they wanna have thumbs up and down they should consider removing the names.

> This is how it works on Paradox forum. ![](https://puu.sh/xy5gB/dc83eba4c1.png "")

>

I guess you can say anet wanted it yet at the same time do not want it to be abused so testing it to see that without anonymously will it provide a better feedback accuracy. Furthermore, Paradox's community is different from here.

Archived