Griffons Should Benefit from Updrafts

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > "Closer to physical reality."

> >

> > Not so sure about that. Physical reality is that something the size of a griffon, with only a griffon's wingspan, isnt going to be able to glide let alone carry an armored man while doing so.

> >

> > That said, I am of two minds on this matter. It might add an additional layer of cool factor to the griffon mount, but it would make them that much better than other mounts. I am not sure that adding yet another advantage for having more in game wealth is the best idea. Or perhaps I have that last part wrong and the ability to use updrafts would be another gold sink...perhaps an additional 1000g in "training" fees to unlock the feature.

>

> Glider aircraft IRL make use of updrafts and they are heavy. Updrafts doesn't have to act the same on the griffon as it does the in game gliders. In game gliders basically stop their forward motion in the updraft. With the griffon it could be more of an uplift while still moving forward so the griffon would move out of the updraft faster than gliders would. To make full use of the updraft the player on the griffon would need to circle around and hit the same updraft over and over.

>

> Updrafts are a good game mechanic that need to be used for any flying creature. I'd like to see them have other non-player flying creatures to use them.

Yes gliders in real life can glide because of their wingspan to weight ratio. Something not shared by griffons. I only mentioned this element because the OP referenced real world physics. In a fantasy world real world physics MIGHT not be relevant, and probably shouldnt have been used as a justification here. And, for the record, no it is not a, "need," that the mechanic be used for flying creatures in game. A desire yes, a nice though, why not, a need...no.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @gaborkaldy.3210 said:

> > By introducing the flying mount ANET confirmed that sooner or later the gliders will slowly die off.

> > The only reason keeping them in the game are the "HoT ONLY" buyers who are not attractive commercially anymore alone.

> >

> > The mounts skins are more expensive and generate more income therefore I believe ANET will focus on them in the future and it is just a matter of time to make the updrafts available for griffons, or at least the mid air, mount up, mount down.

> >

>

> I don't have a Griffon and probably won't get one. Not sure why aNet should lock me out. That's like banning all combustion engines when the first electro engines were on the streets.

>

> Excelsior.

Technically speaking, you wouldn't be locked out. You'd still be able to use gliders even if you don't have a griffon. And as it is, the griffon already takes precedence over gliders in just about every area besides HoTS maps for people who have them (though, gliders do still have use in some situations where griffons do not, such as being usable in combat and in WvW).

In my opinion, if there was one reason for ANet not to invalidate gliders by giving griffons updrafts, it's simply because they'd still want to be able to monetize them in the gem store, and so it wouldn't make much sense to take away their appeal. With that being said, I'd personally just be happy with the ability to dismount in mid air, so we can fly to an updraft with a griffon, then use a glider to go up and then mount the griffon in mid air again. I certainly wouldn't say no to griffons being able to use updrafts either, but I have a feeling that won't happen for reasons I stated above.

I too would like the griffon to be able to use updrafts and at least i think a good way of implementing it is to have the updrafts glider mastery be a requirement for to work. That way people still need HOT to use the updrafts and it wont need an entirely new mastery.

I dont think it would invalidate gliders either as they are often useful if you need to run away in combat or just because they are more convenient at times due to their smaller size.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > I don't think Skimmers or Griffons should be able to use updrafts. While it makes sense logically, this is literally the only advantage a glider has over a Griffon.

> Gliders can also use ley-lines, and they're far more precise in terms of maneuvering

Important Leylines in the game thus far:

~ Two HP's in Auric basin (Easier to use bunny)

~ TD Nuhoch Lane (You'd be better off pulling out a Raptor or Jackal)

~ Dragon's Stand mid-lane. (You could also use a griffon)

~ One HP in Dragons Stand (easier to use bunny)

~ Dragons Stand Boss (Griffon is downright faster between islands, though it admittedly can't drop the bomb)

~ Bloodstone Fen (Griffon is faster, unless you wanna reach the upper levels. I presume it also can't be shot down, which is a plus)

~ That annoying one in Bitterfrost you wish wasn't there, that surrounds the whole middle of the map and exists soley to impede access to the Sanctuary Vista.

Leyline is a largely redundant (and sometimes annoying) mastery, now that we have PoF. You can hardly call this a plus.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > > I don't think Skimmers or Griffons should be able to use updrafts. While it makes sense logically, this is literally the only advantage a glider has over a Griffon.

> > Gliders can also use ley-lines, and they're far more precise in terms of maneuvering

>

> Important Leylines in the game thus far:

> ~ Two HP's in Auric basin (Easier to use bunny)

> ~ TD Nuhoch Lane (You'd be better off pulling out a Raptor or Jackal)

> ~ Dragon's Stand mid-lane. (You could also use a griffon)

> ~ One HP in Dragons Stand (easier to use bunny)

> ~ Dragons Stand Boss (Griffon is downright faster between islands, though it admittedly can't drop the bomb)

> ~ Bloodstone Fen (Griffon is faster, unless you wanna reach the upper levels. I presume it also can't be shot down, which is a plus)

> ~ That annoying one in Bitterfrost you wish wasn't there, that surrounds the whole middle of the map and exists soley to impede access to the Sanctuary Vista.

>

> Leyline is a largely redundant (and sometimes annoying) mastery, now that we have PoF. You can hardly call this a plus.

You forgot the Ember Bay leylines which I actually find very useful.

> @"Phil.7369" said:

> yes definitely do something like this. Griffons are so unique and expanding on them is a must for Anet!

*boggles*

You do realize a lot of people do not have the griffon nor do we care to, right? Why are they a 'must' to expand on? I would rather see those resources go to something that is more universal.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> Leyline is a largely redundant (and sometimes annoying) mastery, now that we have PoF. You can hardly call this a plus.

Yes, fortunately I was slow collecting HPs. When I found out that leyline could actually cause problems in some areas I specifically did not get it.