Need advice on Reaper vs Spellbreaker (video)

EremiteAngel.9765

Hello Warriors!

I recently fought a Spellbreaker that I felt was very composed and gave me the sense that he totally knew what he was doing, but at the same time, it also felt like he wasn't using any of the usual gap closing utilities that I see most warriors use.

Was there a recent change in meta?

Also, based on your experience fighting power Reapers, what could I or the Spellbreaker have done better?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMQjknrpaIk

The spellbreaker's utilities were berserker stance, endure pain, and featherfoot grace. In your footage he used berserker at 1:10, endure pain at 1:34, and featherfoot at 1:43.

I assume by gap closing utility you mean bull's charge, which isn't really popular for the meta spellbreaker build (def/disc/spellbreaker) because it can't be traited without taking the strength line. Meta is double stance with either featherfoot or break enchantments.

You basically had him at 1:45, most of your cooldowns were up while he'd just used everything and was at low health. If you'd healed and kited away instead of casting deathly swarm into his block while backpedaling, I'm pretty sure you would've won. Leaving shroud wasn't necessarily a mistake since he was in block and reaper shroud degens fast now, you still had enough resources to down him in your normal set. You could've potentially recovered by using corrupt boon at around 1:55 to nerf his pressure with 10 seconds of weakness, buying you enough time to heal.

The spellbreaker actually played pretty impatiently, using shield bash immediately after the block is predictable as you noted, it also wastes a cc when you still had all your endurance/stunbreaks available. He wasted a full counter at 0:55, used it again off cooldown at 1:29 but failed to proc, and finally landed one at 2:02 when you were already pressured. Spellbreaker should generally have a favorable matchup against power reaper because it can easily proc full counter off shroud 2, axe 2, and gs 4.

> @Torqiseknite.1380 said:

> The spellbreaker's utilities were berserker stance, endure pain, and featherfoot grace. In your footage he used berserker at 1:10, endure pain at 1:34, and featherfoot at 1:43.

>

> I assume by gap closing utility you mean bull's charge, which isn't really popular for the meta spellbreaker build (def/disc/spellbreaker) because it can't be traited without taking the strength line. Meta is double stance with either featherfoot or break enchantments.

>

> You basically had him at 1:45, most of your cooldowns were up while he'd just used everything and was at low health. If you'd healed and kited away instead of casting deathly swarm into his block while backpedaling, I'm pretty sure you would've won. Leaving shroud wasn't necessarily a mistake since he was in block and reaper shroud degens fast now, you still had enough resources to down him in your normal set. You could've potentially recovered by using corrupt boon at around 1:55 to nerf his pressure with 10 seconds of weakness, buying you enough time to heal.

>

> The spellbreaker actually played pretty impatiently, using shield bash immediately after the block is predictable as you noted, it also wastes a cc when you still had all your endurance/stunbreaks available. He wasted a full counter at 0:55, used it again off cooldown at 1:29 but failed to proc, and finally landed one at 2:02 when you were already pressured. Spellbreaker should generally have a favorable matchup against power reaper because it can easily proc full counter off shroud 2, axe 2, and gs 4.

Thanks Torq for the detailed reply! That was very helpful. I see the fight much clearer now that I know what utilities were in play.

Great advice for both reaper and sb.

I'll link this in the necro forum so more get to learn too =]

Thanks for sharing!

* Was there a recent change in meta?

Answer: No, actually warrior got nerfed bad.

* Also, based on your experience fighting power Reapers, what could I or the Spellbreaker have done better?

Answer: Get good kid, you are a backpedaler so I suggest stop backpedaling while fighting, also you did not even use your healing skill when you clearly needed it.

Also, when you are running away from him you don't cast spells!

I know most people don't like to hear the brutal truth as it is, but the truth is you are a bad necro.

really there is no advice we can give you on how to fight warrior, you have to discover that for yourself by getting good at the game.

Start by not backpedaling because that kills most of the people.

> @EremiteAngel.9765 said:

> Thanks Torq for the detailed reply! That was very helpful. I see the fight much clearer now that I know what utilities were in play.

>

> Great advice for both reaper and sb.

>

> I'll link this in the necro forum so more get to learn too =]

>

> Thanks for sharing!

The first guy in the video comments also had some good advice, I've dueled him before and he was one of the best necro players I've met.

> @Hitman.5829 said:

> * Was there a recent change in meta?

> Answer: No, actually warrior got nerfed bad.

> * Also, based on your experience fighting power Reapers, what could I or the Spellbreaker have done better?

> Answer: Get good kid, you are a backpedaler so I suggest stop backpedaling while fighting, also you did not even use your healing skill when you clearly needed it.

> Also, when you are running away from him you don't cast spells!

>

> I know most people don't like to hear the brutal truth as it is, but the truth is you are a bad necro.

> really there is no advice we can give you on how to fight warrior, you have to discover that for yourself by getting good at the game.

> Start by not backpedaling because that kills most of the people.

Anyone can make mistakes, that doesn't necessarily make Eremite a bad player. He kited well around the middle of the fight and during lich form, a lot of necros don't know that you can cast lich auto backwards.

> Anyone can make mistakes, that doesn't necessarily make Eremite a bad player. He kited well around the middle of the fight and during lich form, a lot of necros don't know that you can cast lich auto backwards.

mmmm I don't think not using healing skills the whole fight counts as a mistake. Like I said, the truth will hurt, but it needs to be said as it is. This person's skill level low.

I could go on and on about this guy playing skills, but I won't. Just look at him use Lich form without using the utility skills first, atleast use them first so that when you come back from Lich form they are reset back and you can use them again.

Again, the truth hurts, but someone needs to say it.

Hey no worries. I can take constructive criticism =]

About backpedaling, I know a lot of players don't do that because most of their skills, especially channeling, auto turns them depending on the opponent's position.

It doesn't work for a necro though. There is no auto turning and target has to be in front of me for axe 1 or 2 to work for example.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Also regarding using utilities first before using lich, Lich doesn't make me immune to damage except for the extra 10k HP which I use as a pseudo shroud during my shroud's downtime.

IMO it is more the timing and not necessarily the sequence of utilities first before Lich or vice versa. Bearing in mind that none of a necro utilities gives damage immunity.

> @EremiteAngel.9765 said:

> Also regarding using utilities first before using lich, Lich doesn't make me immune to damage except for the extra 10k HP which I use as a pseudo shroud during my shroud's downtime.

>

> IMO it is more the timing and not necessarily the sequence of utilities first before Lich or vice versa. Bearing in mind that none of a necro utilities gives damage immunity.

You could have used corrupt boon and corrupt his boons to do more damage with Leach form.

Also, You could have used #5 on offhand dagger while the warrior was chasing you, but you just ran in a straight like taking damage and dealing no damage.

If you are in Lech form spam all the skills like a mad man and take advantage of all the skills.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Torqiseknite.1380" said:

> The spellbreaker's utilities were berserker stance, endure pain, and featherfoot grace. In your footage he used berserker at 1:10, endure pain at 1:34, and featherfoot at 1:43.

>

> I assume by gap closing utility you mean bull's charge, which isn't really popular for the meta spellbreaker build (def/disc/spellbreaker) because it can't be traited without taking the strength line. Meta is double stance with either featherfoot or break enchantments.

>

> You basically had him at 1:45, most of your cooldowns were up while he'd just used everything and was at low health. If you'd healed and kited away instead of casting deathly swarm into his block while backpedaling, I'm pretty sure you would've won. Leaving shroud wasn't necessarily a mistake since he was in block and reaper shroud degens fast now, you still had enough resources to down him in your normal set. You could've potentially recovered by using corrupt boon at around 1:55 to nerf his pressure with 10 seconds of weakness, buying you enough time to heal.

>

> The spellbreaker actually played pretty impatiently, using shield bash immediately after the block is predictable as you noted, it also wastes a cc when you still had all your endurance/stunbreaks available. He wasted a full counter at 0:55, used it again off cooldown at 1:29 but failed to proc, and finally landed one at 2:02 when you were already pressured. Spellbreaker should generally have a favorable matchup against power reaper because it can easily proc full counter off shroud 2, axe 2, and gs 4.

Does anyone know if full counter can be interrupted or cancelled by an unblockable fear? At the 1:29 mark u mentioned he did a full counter but failed to proc. I had done a Lich fear at that point which is an unblockable fear. Could it have cancelled his full counter?

If yes, does that mean unblockable attacks will not trigger full counter?

In principle, I believe it can. But remember that Full Counter gives one stack of stability. So you'd either need two unblockable cc's (like fear) or you'll need to use an unblockable corrupt to convert that stab to a fear. Otherwise your one fear will get checked by his stability with no other effect.

Then again, I don't know if that would cancel the Full Counter or just send him running with a bubble around him.

> @"Choppy.4183" said:

> In principle, I believe it can. But remember that Full Counter gives one stack of stability. So you'd either need two unblockable cc's (like fear) or you'll need to use an unblockable corrupt to convert that stab to a fear. Otherwise your one fear will get checked by his stability with no other effect.

>

> Then again, I don't know if that would cancel the Full Counter or just send him running with a bubble around him.

In theory it's possible to interrupt counter before it pops,but if it happens its pure luck or you face someone having godly ninja reflexes.

> @"Hitman.5829" said:

> > Anyone can make mistakes, that doesn't necessarily make Eremite a bad player. He kited well around the middle of the fight and during lich form, a lot of necros don't know that you can cast lich auto backwards.

>

> mmmm I don't think not using healing skills the whole fight counts as a mistake. Like I said, the truth will hurt, but it needs to be said as it is. This person's skill level low.

> I could go on and on about this guy playing skills, but I won't. Just look at him use Lich form without using the utility skills first, atleast use them first so that when you come back from Lich form they are reset back and you can use them again.

>

> Again, the truth hurts, but someone needs to say it.

>

The way I see it, if you're seeking help and can take criticism (both praise or harsh), you can't be all bad.