PvP Discussion: Miscellaneous

> @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > @kKagari.6804 said:

> > > @Cynz.9437 said:

> > > Don't want to hijack the thread but how long will pvp discussions be open? It is late here T_T

> >

> > I think it is til end of the week.

>

> Yeah, we'll be active on them at least until Friday.

noooooooo don't skip my question about minimaps T__T

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**New range system based on prestige**

Design the old range system for one that is "prestige" style bone, when you reach a maximum level reseta levels and earn a badge to show. For each new won cattle, they will give you a reward chest according to the level, it can contain PvP coins, gold, designs, etc. The final prestige chest should be similar to the Byzantium chest (repeatable).

This system will only show the time and dedication that you carry in PvP, you should have the option of displaying the prestigious badge next to your name. Also every certain amount of prestige to win a title, also win some piece of unique armor, or a unique mini as well.

> > @serenity.4712 said:

> > Adding additional PvP titles and possibly armor/outfit/cosmetics for people who have played for a really long time. Examples:

> >

> > 150 matches won as a Warrior gives you Champion Legionnaire...add a special title for 1000 matches won for each class, and a special cosmetic for 2000 wins etc.

> >

> > Also in general I would suggest cosmetics that stand out and make people know that you're a PvP player. Such as unique armors/weapons that are not that easly obtainable. Something to work forward to through a few seasons or so.

>

> Titles are a relatively easy reward we can make and give out. I've had a feeling that we're on a bit of a title overload for PvP though. That being said, I'm not closed off to the idea.

The one (ok, two) thing that I always thought would be cool in this regard, would have been an "Earn all 9 classes' champion titles" achievement, and maybe one that refreshes with each new elite spec (probably not in the tech, but would show who's dedicated to a class), so i.e., "champion zealot" would be 150 wins with core guard and 150 wins with Dragonhunter when HoT was current expac, but then is rescinded at PoF launch (keep the same amount of AP, but an additional tier is added and you can't wear the title until then), that reqs 150 Firebrand games

Hi ben, thanks again for discussion. Someone has raise the question but you havent answered yet, is it true the server changes makes the ping higher in certain region? I'm SEA player and in past several weeks i noticed the ping is spiking to a level that's unplayable (above 400), preciously it wasn't like this.

> > @breno.5423 said:

> > HP bar. This is all what i want.

> > How can i play a healer role if i can't see the health of my team?

>

> This bothers me too. At some point I asked a programmer to look into the feasibility of this, but I don't think I ever put it on the backlog. It's going there now.

Can you ask about optional keybindi ng to target allies? Like bind something to target teammate #1, #2 etc. Would be super helpful as a support.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @Darek.1836 said:

> > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > @breno.5423 said:

> > > HP bar. This is all what i want.

> > > How can i play a healer role if i can't see the health of my team?

> >

> > This bothers me too. At some point I asked a programmer to look into the feasibility of this, but I don't think I ever put it on the backlog. It's going there now.

>

> Can you ask about optional keybindi ng to target allies? Like bind something to target teammate #1, #2 etc. Would be super helpful as a support.

Yeah, I can ask about it.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @kKagari.6804 said:

> Hi Ben,

> Thanks again, for doing this!

>

> This is something I've harped on for ages now, but I have issues with the following, in terms of PvP:

>

> 1) The minimap is not very useful. When zoomed out to see the entire map, player icons overlap each other and you often can't see how many people are fighting over each node. Competitive PvP minimaps need to require minimal interaction, since gameplay is so fast. It also doesn't help that when you zoom in to see the nodes more clearly, the minimap snaps back to where your player is after a brief period of time.

I'll add it to the lists of thinks to talk to about with our gameplay programmers. Just based on my previous experience with minimaps, this could be a pretty big ask.

>

> 2) The minimap pings are not useful. TICK, CROSS, ! and CROSSHAIR mostly mean the same things and I rarely see anyone use them in PvP. My suggestion would be to have SWORD, SHIELD, ! and CROSS, to denote ATTACK, DEFEND, BE CAREFUL, DO NOT GO.

This is probably not too difficult of a change. Though, there is always some concern with changing something that's been that way for a while. Though, considering this feature isn't used a lot, it's less of a concern. We'll talk about it.

> 3) New players generally don't look at their minimaps enough. I've made a suggestion in the past that the minimap should be enlarged upon player death, until they respawn, to guide players better when they respond. Too often do I see new players run and die to the same nodes they died at previously because they didn't consult the minimap.

Similar to point 1, this could be a lot of work for difficult to measure gain.

> and finally:

>

> **I'd really appreciate a better tutorial system to teach new players the mechanics of Conquest. Conquest is a very nuanced game mode and it just seems like there aren't enough interactive methods of teaching players the ins and outs of things like rotation and +1.**

>

> Any chance for any of the above to be looked at? Thanks!

We've talked about adding a tutorial a lot. A good tutorial is actually a lot more work than you'd think. I'll add to our list, but no guarantees.

> > @kKagari.6804 said:

> > Hi Ben,

> > Thanks again, for doing this!

> >

> > This is something I've harped on for ages now, but I have issues with the following, in terms of PvP:

> >

> > 1) The minimap is not very useful. When zoomed out to see the entire map, player icons overlap each other and you often can't see how many people are fighting over each node. Competitive PvP minimaps need to require minimal interaction, since gameplay is so fast. It also doesn't help that when you zoom in to see the nodes more clearly, the minimap snaps back to where your player is after a brief period of time.

>

> I'll add it to the lists of thinks to talk to about with our gameplay programmers. Just based on my previous experience with minimaps, this could be a pretty big ask.

>

> >

> > 2) The minimap pings are not useful. TICK, CROSS, ! and CROSSHAIR mostly mean the same things and I rarely see anyone use them in PvP. My suggestion would be to have SWORD, SHIELD, ! and CROSS, to denote ATTACK, DEFEND, BE CAREFUL, DO NOT GO.

>

> This is probably not too difficult of a change. Though, there is always some concern with changing something that's been that way for a while. Though, considering this feature isn't used a lot, it's less of a concern. We'll talk about it.

>

> > 3) New players generally don't look at their minimaps enough. I've made a suggestion in the past that the minimap should be enlarged upon player death, until they respawn, to guide players better when they respond. Too often do I see new players run and die to the same nodes they died at previously because they didn't consult the minimap.

>

> Similar to point 1, this could be a lot of work for difficult to measure gain.

>

> > and finally:

> >

> > **I'd really appreciate a better tutorial system to teach new players the mechanics of Conquest. Conquest is a very nuanced game mode and it just seems like there aren't enough interactive methods of teaching players the ins and outs of things like rotation and +1.**

> >

> > Any chance for any of the above to be looked at? Thanks!

> We've talked about adding a tutorial a lot. A good tutorial is actually a lot more work than you'd think. I'll add to our list, but no guarantees.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the hard work that is required. That said, I think tutorials is a must-have. A lot of new players are overwhelmed and turned off PvP :(

This is going to sound super annoying since it's more a UI request but I often spectate and the health bars in the spectate mode are a lot more readable then ones given to you in game. They show a lot less clutter of the players name and guild tag. I think across all game modes I'd just love to have an option for choosing this and maybe a class icon next to it. I understand the tech is there but I also understand Anet likes to keep the game looking similar across all aspects. Just seems weird spectator has it but we don't get an option that's all.

Could we make team chat messages visible through a text bubble like with the /say, /party and /squad messages? It's easier to read if someone doesn't have the team chat channel checked or checks the chat box. The team chat doesn't make any sound or indication to catch people's attention. Or at least make it have the whisper cue. Is this possible to implement? Or at least could it be an option that can be toggled on or off?

> @beatthedown.2651 said:

> > @breno.5423 said:

> > HP bar. This is all what i want.

> > How can i play a healer role if i can't see the health of my team?

>

> So much this. Also the way how boons are displayed isn't that good. They are all colored the same and please don't use white-orange...

> The endurance bar should also slightly change color as you have at least one dodge. Such flaws make it really hard to see things from the corner of the eye, especially since pvp is pretty fast.

I'd like to give additional visibility to the white-orange issue. I'm not sure if this issue belongs here since it's game wide, though.

I would like to see some support for in game communities. I know there are a few different community run PvP events( like UGO, FAME 1v1, and I remember a guild league that was once proposes to the team yet never received), that the current player base would like to see . I know UGO has received support, but the other two I have listed havent. A proposition would be small gem prize or even just an anet dev showing up to one of events would be nice.

Tournaments of legends would be nice to see again, or something similar.

I love the statues for the monthly, and this may be far fetched but maybe giving guild hall trophies for wining tournaments. Similar to the ones the servers have in their wvw instances .

Change out the season rewards already. Gold is nice, but I think the community is bored of getting recycled titles. Maybe use ranks to enter specific tournaments (bronze and silver at)(gold at) (plat and legend at) for unique rewards.

Reposted from a different thread:

You guys gotta stay on top of your game. I've already expressed some of this in previous posts, but here, I mean policing. There's been a lot of bots, match manipulators, true afkers, unlike me who afks when the match is 400-100 and I'm on the loosing team. Don't feel like playing out the last 100 points, but true afkers. Verbal abusers, hackers, etc. This stuff ruins it for everyone and just makes us not want to play. Again, bad for retention. But you gotta have the budget for it. Talk to the higher ups. If this stuff runs rampant, then everything is just moot.

Honestly, If there isn't changes with the budget to do things that keeps PvP fresh with new skins (or whatver the rewards might be), new maps on a frequent basis, and policing, then just shut it down now and don't bother. You get what you put into it. If there's gonna be lack luster effort put into PvP (and I'm not talking about the people currently working on it, I'm sure they're giving it their all, I'm speaking towards resources), then you're gonna have a lackluster, and dwindling player base. Put in more effort on a consistent basis, then the people will come.

Also, one of my biggest pet peeves about this game's PvP is the lack of UI customization. Pretty much every game I've played has it. In PvP and WvW, it is very important to see enemy buffs/condis as well as your own. As it is, they are teeny tiny on polar opposite sides of the screen. I'd like to be able to resize them independently of other facets of the UI, move them to where I want on my screen. Have the option of having buffs/condis floating over enemy/alies. Pretty much like every other game does it. This, imo, has been long overdue.

> @Razor.6392 said:

> Add a "ON MY WAY" ping if you can. Very useful.

>

> Normally in the games I played, the ping wheel has...

>

> * Default ping (no wheel direction)

> * On my way ping

> * Defend ping

> * Need support / assist me / help ping

> * Retreat / danger ping

>

>

>

And an option to turn off all pings. They do drive me insane with people spamming for no reason.

> @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > @Rennie.6750 said:

> > And an option to turn off all pings. They do drive me insane with people spamming for no reason.

>

> Pls dont. PvP should be all about communicating with the team, so you should improve its features instead of disabling them.

>

>

Why not? I value my sanity more than what a 12 year old wants, living the mental narrative of being the reincarnation of Sun Tzu and spamming "doot doot doot" for the entire game like a moron to make sure we do understand in what mood he is.

> @Rennie.6750 said:

> > @Razor.6392 said:

> > Add a "ON MY WAY" ping if you can. Very useful.

> >

> > Normally in the games I played, the ping wheel has...

> >

> > * Default ping (no wheel direction)

> > * On my way ping

> > * Defend ping

> > * Need support / assist me / help ping

> > * Retreat / danger ping

> >

> >

> >

>

> And an option to turn off all pings. They do drive me insane with people spamming for no reason.

Quaggan agrees. If someone has map awarness pings only disturb his gameplay, so yes, people should have ability to turn them off.

> @Rennie.6750 said:

> > @Ashyri.5426 said:

> > > @Rennie.6750 said:

> > > And an option to turn off all pings. They do drive me insane with people spamming for no reason.

> >

> > Pls dont. PvP should be all about communicating with the team, so you should improve its features instead of disabling them.

> >

> >

>

> Why not? I value my sanity more than what a 12 year old wants, living the mental narrative of being the reincarnation of Sun Tzu and spamming "doot doot doot" for the entire game like a moron to make sure we do understand in what mood he is.

Can just limit how many pings one can make within short period of time. Haven't had issues with current pings.