Design-A-Weapon Contest: Ask your questions here

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" said:

>Yellow/green/red lines of the handles need to be observed.

I'm confused about this. In the template, the Rifle skin shown has a pistol grip that only partially stays within the boundaries. If I have to observe the boundaries does that mean if I designed a rifle with the same pistol grip as the rifle shown it would be rejected?

Hello so I submitted my files to the weapon contest, however, I ended up misreading the rules and accidentally sent a .ZIP file. I corrected this by submitting them the RIGHT way, but does that still mean I'm disqualified? This might be kind of a stupid question, but it's worrying me a little and I'd just like to have some peace of mind.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @DietPepsi.4371 said:

> > @"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" said:

> >Yellow/green/red lines of the handles need to be observed.

>

> I'm confused about this. In the template, the Rifle skin shown has a pistol grip that only partially stays within the boundaries. If I have to observe the boundaries does that mean if I designed a rifle with the same pistol grip as the rifle shown it would be rejected?

>

It goes out of the blue lines (which is okay) but a good part of the handle is within the green/yellow lines, which is where the character will hold the riffle.

> @Ashuleey.2074 said:

> Hello so I submitted my files to the weapon contest, however, I ended up misreading the rules and accidentally sent a .ZIP file. I corrected this by submitting them the RIGHT way, but does that still mean I'm disqualified? This might be kind of a stupid question, but it's worrying me a little and I'd just like to have some peace of mind.

.ZIP files won't be taken into account and will be removed during the security scan. As long as you submitted your entry again as a PNG/PSD or JPG it's fine ;).

Good luck, guys! And thanks for allowing this, Team ANet. I know my own idea of a weapon wouldn't work within the confines of the rules (The Croaker--a frog's-mouth blunderbuss which shoots out a murder of crows instead of pellets so that the victim eats crow as he croaks), but I'm excited to see what everyone else brings to the table.

Game on!

I have an idea but I'm not sure if it'd be considered too close to a legendary. It's mostly just because it'd require a bit of animation similar to another weapon in game (non-legendary) but I don't wanna cross any bounds. Can I PM someone the idea to check if it's okay? or should I just give up on it and go with something else?

I'm new to submitting work for contests, however, I submitted my work. I had a question about if it was for a single weapon or for the group that I found in the template. I sent it in 3 days prior to you getting back to me about whether it was 3 design sheets, with multiple weapons, or 3 different weapons. I sent in my sheet of the weapon set. Then I received your email saying it was for 3 separate weapons. Are my designs round filed now? Can I resubmit 3 of the sheet, or do am I disqualified?

I have 2 last minute questions! Is RGB color okay, or should our submissions be CMYK for printing purposes? And second, is the background color strictly black, white, or transparent? I feel my design displays best on a medium gray background, but I want to respect the rules of course.

> @"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" said:

> Quick reminder that the deadline is this Sunday! :) Please don't forget to submit your entries!

>

> @"Makarow.3028" : You don't need erratum unless you're updating an entry.

> @"Lunar Advexis.2734" : 300dpi is the minimum. Anything above is fine.

Is it okay if we submit our PSDS with like a couple of folders in it to maybe show the process of our work? I usually have a layers folder, then a colors folder, then the final flattened image on a seperate layer. Is this okay?

> @Tyche.4072 said:

> Is it okay if we submit our PSDS with like a couple of folders in it to maybe show the process of our work? I usually have a layers folder, then a colors folder, then the final flattened image on a seperate layer. Is this okay?

I've just 'flattened' all weapon layers on 'base' (merged them with base shape of weapon layer), and left 'hidden' folder with re-scaled guidelines (aligned to weapon), added contact data on text layer and locked layer for background on bottom. I think that should be okay and best for 'quickest edit' for Arena.net's team. ;)

> @Zoltreez.6435 said:

> cant wait to see the works and start voting.....

>

> juts plssssssss for everything that is GW2 don't let it be infested with MLP and Anime weapons..................

I agree.

I also really do hope that the shortlists are an eclectic reange of weapons that arent so close to existing weapon sets, I'm just glad that I didnt submit my quaggan-plush-tied-to-a-stick design, cos i swear, I choked when the choya-on-a-stick was released (and laughed for a good 5 minutes). That would have been a waste of a submission as it would look way too similar

> @CornishRose.2815 said:

> > @Zoltreez.6435 said:

> > cant wait to see the works and start voting.....

> >

> > juts plssssssss for everything that is GW2 don't let it be infested with MLP and Anime weapons..................

>

> I agree.

> I also really do hope that the shortlists are an eclectic reange of weapons that arent so close to existing weapon sets, I'm just glad that I didnt submit my quaggan-plush-tied-to-a-stick design, cos i swear, I choked when the choya-on-a-stick was released (and laughed for a good 5 minutes). That would have been a waste of a submission as it would look way too similar

The rules state the weapons must be GW2 themed, so we're not getting "anime" or MLP weapons. If people do submit those, the weapons would be disqualified.

@"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" I remember reading on the old forums we could put, in the picture the type of weapon it is (E.G. "Dagger," "Sword," "Greatsword," etc.) if we want to make it clear. Is that correct? If so, would we put it with our info or can we put it in the opposite corner?

When i finished my work i was disappointed about the 30 mb max size of the files. >.< i scaled my pic down from the weapon-template-size to the wanted 30mb and it lost so many details.

additionally:

I really think there should have been a way to write in a tiny infotext about the weapondesign. For example I painted a phoenix-bow and its not noticeable at the first look. For my sylvari-based staff i wish i could say, that i have taken elements from the sylvari plant on the 2nd floor and the blue sylvari-glass. Also some sort of sparkles are transfered within the staff in some sort of energy and i really wish i could have given a hint to this.

> @MidnightX.6294 said:

> When i finished my work i was disappointed about the 30 mb max size of the files. >.< i scaled my pic down from the weapon-template-size to the wanted 30mb and it lost so many details.

>

> additionally:

> I really think there should have been a way to write in a tiny infotext about the weapondesign. For example I painted a phoenix-bow and its not noticeable at the first look. For my sylvari-based staff i wish i could say, that i have taken elements from the sylvari plant on the 2nd floor and the blue sylvari-glass. Also some sort of sparkles are transfered within the staff in some sort of energy and i really wish i could have given a hint to this.

I think that what you described in the second paragraph should and will most likely be clear to the people who'll look at the concepts. What makes the phoenix-bow a phoenix-bow? The form? The fiery colors and/or effects? You don't have to explain where the elements came from for the staff and the energy flowing within is just energy flowing within. Also your ideas sound really cool and I can't wait to see them.

In art, it's important to leave some things for the observer to come up with. It usually works much more personal that way.

Though I think in our case this was just for the sake of the contest and because the judges are more interested in the drawings.