Design-A-Weapon Contest: Ask your questions here

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mean to devalue the artist whose creation rn is top on votes but theres just so many amazing pieces in these 20 it seem very unfortunate only 1 can win. Is it imposible to let us pick 3 instead of 1? id love more of these added in game if not all. even if its in them spam of many months/ a year.

> @"xikira.3264" said:

> Why wasn't there a short-bow option to vote on :(

Hear, hear. I wanted to vote for a dagger and a shortbow. We only got one vote, though.

@"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" I dunno if you saw [this reddit post about the weapon contest](

), but maybe people are unhappy and feel that the dagger which was labeled as sword is unfair to the artist. Many players have stated they would have voted for that dagger IF it was not labeled as a sword. Also, the pool can be abused via incognito/private windows, allowing multiple votes per player.

I beg you to recreate the poll in a way that cannot be abused and relabel the dagger. A mistake is a mistake; we're all human and not perfect. Please, for the sake of the artist and to avoid further abuse, I highly recommend, no, I ask politely, that the poll be remade.

> @SmirkDog.3160 said:

> I can't wait for the new staff, staff, and greatsword.

>

> All sarcasm aside, I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of weapon variety for the finalists, so getting only one vote or only 3 winners doesn't upset me much. Where's the shortbow? Shield? Warhorn? Did I just miss them?

Plenty of shields in the neighbor thread, along with scepters, a rifle and other weapon types that are not among the finalists. Why they are not among the finalists is a very good question.

I've seen the 20 finalists, and seriously, if these twenty are the creme dela creme out of the 900 entries, then this choice is really disappointing and I'm glad, that we can vote out of them only 1 weapons, because out of this 20 finalists is really also only like a hand full of entries, that actuall made a really outshining good weapon design, while liek the other 15 entries are boring 0815 designs, which even partwise don't fit into the art style of GW2 at all, like for example the longbow - stuff like that belongs maybe to WoW, but not to GW2

Number 19 looks so extremely unpractical as a sword, that you have to ask yourself, how the hell do you want to cut even anything with this.

It even has barely a blade for a sword weapon ...to do that with all the impractical wings there, maybe you will want to poke somebody to death with that perhaps ...because slicing and cutting can you forget with this thing lol

I#m also very surprided, why we have to vote for the weapons on Dulfy, and not here? At least I haven't seen here yet an official Voting Thread made by ANet, where you also can see the 20 finalists and vote for them. Again its a third party site, where somethign important like this is being made.

Not that I'd really complain about this, dlfy is an awesome site, find it just weird that Anet hasn't even made any official announcement jhere on the forums, that voting for the weapons actually has started!!

Kind of gives you as a player the impression, as if they even don't care about it, that people should get informed over this fact and that people have time only for voting until friday the 10th november!

That way will surely participate not as many people in the voting, as how much potentially surely could, if there would be more information about this on the top of the site...

If I would have to name my top 5 of the 5 among which I think, which will make for becoming the winner, then I think it will be number 1, 3, 12, 15 and 20, and i think personally, number 15 or 20 wins - wil lbe getting close between those 2.

I'm hard undecided between voting either for 3 or 20, but I've still time to make up my final decision until 10th november : D

PS: numbers based on dulfies list up, however, have overseen that the site relinks to ANets official voting site, where the weapons are listed up in a different row up

> @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

> > @"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" said:

> > > @"Stéphanie Bourguet.5287" said:

> > > I will try to make a Flickr album of the finalists tomorrow but you might have to wait a bit longer to see all of the entries: I need to remove duplicates and personnal information details from the entries ;) - e-mails addresses and countries. I'll leave the name though, to make sure the artists are credited.

> >

> > The album of finalists is available on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/albums/with/72157665734510569 (Artists will be credited in the description once the poll ends).

>

> Nice. I don't know if you were told, but [this weapon design is a dagger according to the artist]( 2017 Design-A-Weapon Contest - Finalists), not a sword. I think it might hurt h

Oh those are all amazing!!!!!

Big congratulations to those who made the top 20!

Well done!!!

Celebrate others victories like they are your own

Be happy for others.

> @Orpheal.8263 said:

>At least I haven't seen here yet an official Voting Thread made by ANet, where you also can see the 20 finalists and vote for them. Again its a third party site, where somethign important like this is being made.

They announced it few days ago.

Here you go: https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/choose-your-weapons-in-the-design-a-weapon-finalist-poll/

Social media too. e.g https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/photos/a.135044094208.103264.114036714208/10155298450309209/?type=3&theater

Hey, I would really like to vote for the "sword" with the dragon wing like applications if it was a dagger. It looks more like a dagger to me and the artist stated on reddit, that it's supposed to be a dagger. So, is it possible to get some information on how this will be handeled? Will it stay a sword or changed to dagger?

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy I got 5th place!! Congrats to all of the winners and I agree with you Randulf the torch for sure deserved the top spot!. Now that the contest is over and I can finally talk about my weapon, I thought I could give a little perspective on my inspirations for my weapon design to anyone that is interested. :)

I visited China for a month last year and while I was there I hiked up 3 of the 4 sacred mountains. However the one that really stuck in my memories the most was Mt. Emei, I will never forget reaching the summit after 3 days hiking and looking over a sea of clouds into the sunrise, a soft wind blowing the scent of incense about as Buddhist monks silently walked into a large golden monastery situated at the edge of a cliff overlooking the sunrise. As depicted in my weapon, the golden monastery on the left side was my representation of the temple at the summit while the clouds encompassing it represented "the cloud sea" as they called it from 13 thousand feet. The dragon coiling around the blade is something I saw allot not only at the monastery's but in many urban areas all throughout places I visited in China. There is a legend of two dragons, one of the clouds and one of lightning that fight (or play) with an orb of great power, and so since my weapon was themed after the heavens and clouds, I would have the cloud dragon holding the orb. The energy flowing through the weapon from the orb is my representation of Chi or Qi, and the large jade orb behind the dragon represents the ebb and flow of life.

Sorry for the rant, I just remember seeing someone ask for more insight on the artist's reasons for making their weapons and well, that's mine for you :D again congrats to the top 3 winners!