Winter's Presence collection too expensive to complete

Dreddo.9865

> @"Gambino.2109" said:

> > @"nekretaal.6485" said:

> > Drinks were 8s the first year, now the drinks are down to less than 2s. The collection gets cheaper and cheaper every year.

>

> Umm no..

>

> The drinks we're manageable if you mastered that Jp.. if not, bell choir wasn't a bad option either.. other wise a few friends to help with drinks..

>

> The sigils/runes on the other hand.. hooboy. In 2015 guess how much I spent for 50? yep 39 silvers for each, so that was about 19-21 gold for 50 and 42-50 for both sigil/rune 50 gold at most for both 50 gold man!!!

>

> So here we are 2017, where you're paying 7.6-8 gold for 1 sigil/rune.... Soooo 400 gold for one stack of 50 and another 400 for the other stack.. so 800 total..

>

> How is 50 vs 800 gold getting cheaper each year? And I don't want to hear that oooh this is a prestige shiny thingie... it shouldn't just be given away.. seriously shut up with that. I got mine for a reasonable 50 gold, and put in a ton of work on doing the jp to acquire the jp.. it felt good and fair getting all 10k drinks working hard each day and coming closer and close..

>

> Now I see my friends.. with sad faces.. cause the poorly handled sigils/runes we're grossly implemented to have a value that went way over the radar and heavily punishes those that did not acquire it in 2015 and those new to the game.. and for what? A mystic coin sink?

Unless SPDY is wrong, mishief sigils were around 3.5g December 11th and earlier. They've only shot up to 8g because everyone wants them, and judging by the last year it takes a few months for the prices to settle after. I wish I had thought of this before, being 50 sigils away from presence is such a tease. But yes, getting it now is a lot more pricey, but not too bad if you buy them during the off season.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Gambino.2109" said:

> > @"nekretaal.6485" said:

> > Drinks were 8s the first year, now the drinks are down to less than 2s. The collection gets cheaper and cheaper every year.

>

> Umm no..

>

> The drinks we're manageable if you mastered that Jp.. if not, bell choir wasn't a bad option either.. other wise a few friends to help with drinks..

>

> The sigils/runes on the other hand.. hooboy. In 2015 guess how much I spent for 50? yep 39 silvers for each, so that was about 19-21 gold for 50 and 42-50 for both sigil/rune 50 gold at most for both 50 gold man!!!

>

> So here we are 2017, where you're paying 7.6-8 gold for 1 sigil/rune.... Soooo 400 gold for one stack of 50 and another 400 for the other stack.. so 800 total..

>

> How is 50 vs 800 gold getting cheaper each year? And I don't want to hear that oooh this is a prestige shiny thingie... it shouldn't just be given away.. seriously shut up with that. I got mine for a reasonable 50 gold, and put in a ton of work on doing the jp to acquire the jp.. it felt good and fair getting all 10k drinks working hard each day and coming closer and close..

>

> Now I see my friends.. with sad faces.. cause the poorly handled sigils/runes we're grossly implemented to have a value that went way over the radar and heavily punishes those that did not acquire it in 2015 and those new to the game.. and for what? A mystic coin sink?

Not to single you out here, but you and a few others in this/other similar thread seem to be missing a key economic concept in determining how much you spent on Winter's Presence: Opportunity cost. You didn't just spend the 50g you spent on the Sigils and Runes; you also spent the money that you could have earned by selling the presents/drinks that you farmed or were gifted. If you farmed/were gifted and consumed 800g worth of drinks and bought 50g worth of sigils and runes then the skin cost you 850g, not 50g. You have to count the market value of all the items that you consumed unlocking the skin, not just the liquid gold that you spent. Not to do so makes the numbers you're using meaningless.

> @"Vanity Flare.8539" said:

> I cried for hours

For pixels? For a game?

I'm sorry, it's hard to give sympathy where it's due when the community has gotten so emotional and so rabid for their shiny things that they cry.

Like I'm sorry, but this disturbs me greatly.

This is cosmetics, this isn't ascended armor or infusions for fractals. People are literally pulling their hair out for..cosmetics.

Idk if I should clap for gw2 or laugh.

> @"Lilyanna.9361" said:

> > @"Vanity Flare.8539" said:

> > I cried for hours

>

> For pixels? For a game?

>

> I'm sorry, it's hard to give sympathy where it's due when the community has gotten so emotional and so rabid for their shiny things that they cry.

>

> Like I'm sorry, but this disturbs me greatly.

> This is cosmetics, this isn't ascended armor or infusions for fractals. People are literally pulling their hair out for..cosmetics.

>

> Idk if I should clap for gw2 or laugh.

hate to break it to you but, GW2 is mostly VANITY WARS. Not about guilds but about your armors, your fashion sense, How you decorate your self, your mount, your home. . .

> @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > @"DakotaCoty.5721" said:

> > I wish people would stop trying to devalue expensive items so they become common as sin. I've seen countless threads about this, infusions, invisible boots and much much more.

>

> "***Legendaries*** should be cheaper!" XD

crafting precursors the 1st time, now that SHOULD BE CHEAPER then buying them off TP. (i thought that was the point, nopes wrong about that too)

> @"Pimpology.6234" said:

> I would have rather the drinks stayed expensive, you can farm those if you want. The sigil and runes you can't and that's **SAD**.

Well that's the thing. What you can farm and put effort in it can have a reasonable price, I myself farmed abt 4k drinks last year and left the rest for now. But the sigils and the runes? Well some people have stacked hundreds of them and are happy that they will make a big profit. But this has nothing to do with the achievement. And yes I am talking about the achievement and not the 'shiny pixels' for which I wouldn't care less.

I was fortunate enough to remember the last year, and got some sigils and runes while the price was low to me and my friends. I do realize that the stock was so low though (only couple of thousand) that there really wasn't enough for everyone and they would have run out in no time, if other people were as early as I was.

Also I think winter's presence is the main collection of the wintersday event. All the activities go towards it. It'd be nice if people who already got a lot of parts for it from other achievements didn't have to give up on it due to such a high paywall. It's harsh compared to the Halloween backpack collection.

Well as things are I am skipping the achievement with the hope that they rectify this next year. According to BLT sites the demand is almost 25 times more than the supply for sigils of mischief (for runes of snowfall is 1:2). So if the current supply system remains the achievement will be simply undoable.

> @"Dreddo.9865" said:

> Well as things are I am skipping the achievement with the hope that they rectify this next year. According to BLT sites the demand is almost 25 times more than the supply for sigils of mischief (for runes of snowfall is 1:2). So if the current supply system remains the achievement will be simply undoable.

People forget that the supply on the TP isn't all the supply there is. And that folks only need to complete this once.

The supply for the runes has actually increased since last month (below 9k in October, 14k today). The primary reason for the spike in prices is the same as every year: enough people are impatient about getting their shiny _now_ that they are willing to pay extra. The price has always dropped each year after the holidays.

The situation is more complex with the mischief sigils since some supply drops from Wintersday gifts and the TP supply is relatively low by comparison. On the other hand, people open a ton of W-Gifts, which is why drinks are less than 20% compared to the first year (and less than 15% compared to peak).

> @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > @"DakotaCoty.5721" said:

> > I wish people would stop trying to devalue expensive items so they become common as sin. I've seen countless threads about this, infusions, invisible boots and much much more.

>

> "***Legendaries*** should be cheaper!" XD

Legendaries *have* become cheaper :P

> @"Willhart.8230" said:

> Also I think winter's presence is the main collection of the wintersday event. All the activities go towards it. It'd be nice if people who already got a lot of parts for it from other achievements didn't have to give up on it due to such a high paywall. It's harsh compared to the Halloween backpack collection.

If you are going to compare it to Halloween it should be against Nightfury not the backpacks.

To create a supply and demand system, we need a rare supply, and a use that will cause a high demand. This means players will be rewarded for one activity, and can use those rewards to pay for the fruits of another person's labour. This is why I disagree with the premise of this thread - people choose to run holiday activities over regular activities, and they deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

I was happy with the JP nerf, did the cost calc on winter's presence, decided it would cost far too much real world money to complete and just decided not to do Wintersday this year.

I am happy enough with PoF and even some older HoT content that the lack of an event distraction is actually nice. And I still give Anet money- just not going to buy 500+ GP just for a snowflake effect I won't actually use that often. I have bought a fair number of keys. I love what they did with the BL chests.

This was always expensive. Checking back at the history. When first introduced the drinks plus mystic coins would have costed around 780g+. Last year it would have been around 830g, +/- some 10s of gold depending on when you did it and how you got your drinks. Right now it is around 877g. Is it too much for a skin? Depends on how much you want/like it. It costed me around the same back when I made Infinite Light

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> This was always expensive. Checking back at the history. When first introduced the drinks plus mystic coins would have costed around 780g+. Last year it would have been around 830g, +/- some 10s of gold depending on when you did it and how you got your drinks. Right now it is around 877g. Is it too much for a skin? Depends on how much you want/like it. It costed me around the same back when I made Infinite Light

Am I reading the SPDY graphs wrong? Mischiefs were listed as sell order for around 3.6g December 11th and lower, they shot up to 8.4g sell listing now. Snowfalls 1.2g to ~4g December 12th to now. I am only delaying my presence hoping they will be back lower around Feb+ but if they won't I"ll probably bite the bullet and just buy now.

> @"Despond.2174" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > This was always expensive. Checking back at the history. When first introduced the drinks plus mystic coins would have costed around 780g+. Last year it would have been around 830g, +/- some 10s of gold depending on when you did it and how you got your drinks. Right now it is around 877g. Is it too much for a skin? Depends on how much you want/like it. It costed me around the same back when I made Infinite Light

>

> Am I reading the SPDY graphs wrong? Mischiefs were listed as sell order for around 3.6g December 11th and lower, they shot up to 8.4g sell listing now. Snowfalls 1.2g to ~4g December 12th to now. I am only delaying my presence hoping they will be back lower around Feb+ but if they won't I"ll probably bite the bullet and just buy now.

Sigils probably shot up after people figured out the recipe for the eggnog helmet

I have completed Winter's presence this year. The craftables were about 800g to get the stuff I didn't have. Another 100+ for drinks and well it was close to 1000 gold for the skin. Honestly it felt less rewarding than Nightfury since you get an ascended item plus skins from that vs just skins. I loved the questing of the Mad King Back items, even have the one from the Lunatic collection.

My real complaint with Wintersday is how superficial it seems. There's not any real lore stuff to do. The race is my favorite event of this holiday.