weakness

Eddbopkins.2630

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread should be about weakness and how it shuts down power builds...all the while condi builds get nothing to mitigate there damage...its just really unbalanced in this regard....the argument of just avoid it in the 1st place is b.s, when nearly all condi application skills has little to no animations or tells and specially when there aoe applications.

> @"Eddbopkins.2630" said:

> This thread should be about weakness and how it shuts down power builds...all the while condi builds get nothing to mitigate there damage...its just really unbalanced in this regard....the argument of just avoid it in the 1st place is b.s, when nearly all condi application skills has little to no animations or tells and specially when there aoe applications.

Not sure I understand. Condi needs to hit something to be applied. So all skills that prevent hits work just as well against power and condi. Once applied, people have access to resistance and cleanses which shuts down condi as well. There are plenty of tools to mitigate condi. Probably why it has been almost entirely driven out of the meta for sPvP.

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > @"Swagg.9236" said:

> > > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > > @"Swagg.9236" said:

> > > > > @"Genesis.5169" said:

> > > > > > @"Swagg.9236" said:

> > > > > > Flavor decision and flavor tradition in-line with GW1 designs. Conditions were never intended to be damage; might and vuln also used to only affect direct damage (power). Conditions never had a true function in GW2 to begin with, and the stacking mechanic is GW2's most innovative mistake. Weakness being out of place is only further proof of this.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yep so all those sigil/runes that explicitly increases condition damage, and all of the dire/carrion/sinsiter/rampers gear was in the game for show.

> > > > >

> > > > > Rune of the kriat for bleeding damage was because bleed damage was never meant to be a main source of damage they just put it in the game to confuse people, Anet and there sneaky sneaky ways.

> > > >

> > > > Zerk meta was fine, yet it also proved GW2's limited gameplay designs. GW2 launched with a viable and acceptable way of calculating outgoing damage onto targets. Conditions never had a role; they only became relevant when anet decided to listen to flavor-centric vocal minorities who *felt* that conditions should also compete with zerk stats for optimal PvE DPS. There was never any argument to justify this *feeling*, it was just a thing that people *felt* should exist. So, yes, all those sigils were trash and the only armor set was Berserker. Everything else was for show.

> > >

> > > Devs said before launch that condition damage was supposed to be an alternative to Power, so sorry Swagg, you are completely wrong on this one.

> >

> > Devs can say whatever they want, but if the game's own mechanics say otherwise, then their words are pretty meaningless. GW2 only had 1, clear-cut, most-viable, "why wouldn't you use this" gear option and rune/sigil set for years, and everything worked just fine. The fact that that meta only featured 4 mainstay classes only means that this game only needed 4 classes max. Everything else is just bloat.

>

> Dev's words tell you their intent. Since you were saying that "conditions were never intended to be damage," well, you're just wrong. The intent was clearly that they were intended to be such. From that single fact, the rest of your argument falls apart.

Their intent doesn't really matter either if the game functioned fine with zerk meta for 3 years before getting a bandaid patch which only resulted an identical paradigm (zerk meta became viper meta, and everyone continues to use all but <5% of the game's available stat options). You should have realized that GW2 devs were in over their own heads pre-launch when they claimed that "untyped damage" (conditions) was supposed to be an alternative to "untyped damage" (zerk stats).

• 4 months later...

I'd rather ANET change weakness just a little and then see what happens. I hate that not only does it reduce outgoing power dmg, but for whatever reason (and isn't stated on the tooltip) negates crits. Why in the heck is it a CHANCE of reducing outgoing dmg by a % instead of just a flat reduction? Why does it reduce crits? So...make it a flat 25-50% reduction and let power dmg crit despite weakness. See what happens, adjust a bit if needed. And it probably should work on condi attacks - reduces outgoing condi dmg by a % (adjust as needed - probably could get away with it being lower than it's influence on power damage). But I wouldn't make it work on condi to start off. See how it affects power first.

Listing the existence of Resistance as a reason why we shouldn't take al ook at Weakness concerning condi builds is a bit...off, considering that Res is nowhere near as available as other forms of mitigation, and when it IS available it's usually more...class-based, as opposed to something you can build into your setup. I have no way to make the choice and build resistance into my thief setup, for example. Resistance seems really randomly (and rarely) scattered around, same as Weakness - there's scourges, mesmer power block (who even runs that though in a competitive setting?) and...a thief trait or two, I think? Most of the time I don't even worry about weakness. The few times it is present, it's absolutely crippling. ANET definitely needs to take a look at Weakness's availability vs it's strength/utility in x many situations. It has WILDLY varying availability and usefulness. I think it'd be good for the game to make it less useful in situations it's extremely powerful, but make it more useful in places it's lacking, and give a couple more classes/builds the option to acquire weakness (by giving some other trait up or w/e) if they want.