Getting Aged Ectoplasm Will Drive Me Crazy

I feel like getting this Aged Ectoplasm is taking way too long.

It feels like when a few weeks back there was a bug that wouldn't let you get certain achieves picking up items, only this time there's no obvious tell that it's a bug.

I DOUBT it's a bug, only cuz I thought killing elementals to get something in Bloodstone fen was taking WAY too long too, then BAM, what I wanted dropped.

But these ghosts for the aged ectoplasm... probably 15 times Hab, a few times the canyon ghosts.

Is this actually intended ?

This is weeks of this.

Is there anything else I can expect to farm and farm and farm just to have some simple little thing drop?

Can it be possible this would never drop in 89 billion years?

I hope there is a counter somewhere in the game code.....

"Player killed 89,764,984 ghosts, let's force it to drop finally".

It's just 1 of 200 things we need to do for this. Besides the gold. It feels like it's way off on the RNG.

Everyone has an RNG collection drop that just won't... drop. Be thankful that for you it's something that has lots of potential foes. My last PoF/specialization collection item was the junuundu bezoar (worm tooth). There just aren't that many around that you can kill and they don't die quickly either. I gave it a rest for a couple of weeks, came back with a different toon on the way back from something else, and voila, dropped from the next worm.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Everyone has an RNG collection drop that just won't... drop. Be thankful that for you it's something that has lots of potential foes. My last PoF/specialization collection item was the junuundu bezoar (worm tooth). There just aren't that many around that you can kill and they don't die quickly either. I gave it a rest for a couple of weeks, came back with a different toon on the way back from something else, and voila, dropped from the next worm.

there are a decent number of them at the junundu hatchery and they do die pretty quickly. there are even more than it appears because the vets summon additional ones. they are fairly easy to kill unless you are trying to melee something that lives in lava/sulfur.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Everyone has an RNG collection drop that just won't... drop. Be thankful that for you it's something that has lots of potential foes. My last PoF/specialization collection item was the junuundu bezoar (worm tooth). There just aren't that many around that you can kill and they don't die quickly either. I gave it a rest for a couple of weeks, came back with a different toon on the way back from something else, and voila, dropped from the next worm.

>

> there are a decent number of them at the junundu hatchery and they do die pretty quickly. there are even more than it appears because the vets summon additional ones. they are fairly easy to kill unless you are trying to melee something that lives in lava/sulfur.

I probably made my point poorly. The main thing is that RNG is apparently the same for all the various collection items, but the sheer number of foes readily available to kill is not. So it's simply a lot more tedious to track down junuundu than ghosts, because ghosts can be found in more spots more often and in greater numbers.

First, the ones in the lava/sulfur aren't easily kited, so you can only kill one at a time. The Hatchery area doesn't have any killable worms when the training event is up (and for a brief period before & after) and there aren't all that many worms. You can kite 2 usually, sometimes 3, but you also have to deal with the landsharks, which gums up the process. (Near as I can tell, the babies summoned by the vets don't drop much, or at least, I never got any drops from them; just from sharks and the vets.)

I'm not saying it's "difficult"; it's just more tedious than most of the other drops **if** you're unlucky, because you are much more limited with how many you can kill over any given 10 minute period. (And eventually, DR kicks in if you over farm.) I estimate that I killed over 50 worms before I stopped counting, mostly in the hatchery, but just to keep from being bored, I also tried some in the sulfur. (And actually, a Mirage using a portal can do some nice melee to speed things up. I mostly tried it just to keep myself entertained.)

In case it's not clear, I'm not _complaining_ or suggesting the collection requirements be changed. I'm just trying to point out that some of the items are easier to deal with than others. Aged Ecto is among the worst. Tiger's Claw is also pretty bad (tigers are really easy to kill; they just don't spawn in high numbers). And, for me anyhow, the worm tooth was the worst.

tl;dr RNG is sometimes bad on collection drops, but it's more noticeable for some foes than for others.

Raids do it pretty well.

Every kill you get Magnetite Shards, and a very small chance to drop unique ascended equipment.

If you’re an unlucky sob, you can eventually buy a piece of equipment with the magnetite, giving a second, non-RNG outlet.

I’ve always wished for such an outlet on Tequatl, too

According to the wiki, it is an exotic item. Drop chances of exotic items depend on MF. So I would try it with a character with outmaxed MF:

- Enrichment

- Food & Utility

- Celebration Booster

- Item Booster

- Banner

- Guild Buff

- Lunar Boost

There is no guarantee it works, but if you are camping for so long, I would give it a try. I would also suggest to ask in your guild for help, pick a class with a multi-tag ability, like engineer-flamethrower and and rush through the spawning-places with a small zerg. You tag all mobs, the others dispose of them quickly. Once you are at the end of the path, turn back and grab the loot. If you are fast enough, the mobs might already respawn when you are back at the start again. When runing with the guild/friends and Hab is up, try to get at least one member of your party on another map and do the events in order, so you can slay more ghosts in a short time (like old AB Multiloot ^^).

> @"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

> According to the wiki, it is an exotic item. Drop chances of exotic items depend on MF. So I would try it with a character with outmaxed MF:

> - Enrichment

> - Food & Utility

> - Celebration Booster

> - Item Booster

> - Banner

> - Guild Buff

> - Lunar Boost

>

> There is no guarantee it works, but if you are camping for so long, I would give it a try. I would also suggest to ask in your guild for help, pick a class with a multi-tag ability, like engineer-flamethrower and and rush through the spawning-places with a small zerg. You tag all mobs, the others dispose of them quickly. Once you are at the end of the path, turn back and grab the loot. If you are fast enough, the mobs might already respawn when you are back at the start again. When runing with the guild/friends and Hab is up, try to get at least one member of your party on another map and do the events in order, so you can slay more ghosts in a short time (like old AB Multiloot ^^).

>

Maybe this had nothing to do with it... BUT....

I used a celebration boost of 100% magic find...

Aged Ectoplasm dropped on my first Hab run (maybe 10 ghosts killed in the pre, and 15 ghosts contacted with during mid Hab).

Thanks for the MF idea... it MAY have done it. Then again it may have just been total blind luck, who knows.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

> @"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

> According to the wiki, it is an exotic item. Drop chances of exotic items depend on MF. So I would try it with a character with outmaxed MF:

> - Enrichment

> - Food & Utility

> - Celebration Booster

> - Item Booster

> - Banner

> - Guild Buff

> - Lunar Boost

>

> There is no guarantee it works, but if you are camping for so long, I would give it a try. I would also suggest to ask in your guild for help, pick a class with a multi-tag ability, like engineer-flamethrower and and rush through the spawning-places with a small zerg. You tag all mobs, the others dispose of them quickly. Once you are at the end of the path, turn back and grab the loot. If you are fast enough, the mobs might already respawn when you are back at the start again. When runing with the guild/friends and Hab is up, try to get at least one member of your party on another map and do the events in order, so you can slay more ghosts in a short time (like old AB Multiloot ^^).

>

Did just that today after 2 days of insane spirits killing, spamming all the MF i could and seems to have helped. Thx.