How to make world maps completion more fun and interesting?

I don't know. If it's not fun or interesting for you don't do it I suppose. Pls read my signature if your answer is "but I need world completion(Y) for (X)" to get your answer right there.

I'm not a big fan of map completion either, it's better now than it was before HoT release, when they up'd the rewards a bit, but if it wasn't for those legendaries and that one GH decoration, I wouldn't have done it 7 times now. It's a chore rather than something I look foreward to. I wouldn't now how to improve this. However, every now and then I do a bit on the two alts that don't have it yet, just to be done with it. I take my time, doing whatever map I feel like, so I don't get bored. By that it doesn't get stressful and I can enjoy maps and places, open world bosses or event chains I usually don't come across a lot.

I guess it all boils down to your mindest when doing map completion. If you NEED TO BE DONE IN A WEEK ZOMG!!! then it's stressful and tedious busywork. If you do it when you feel like it, take your time, maybe take someone with you so you can talk while doing those kitten hearts or something like that, it's a lot more relaxing. Everything else is, well, up to, you. If you don't like doing something, don't do it.

OP are you asking how to go about getting through world map completion now, without a change to the game? Or asking for suggestions for what ANet could do to make it more fun?

For the latter, I don't think ANet should make substantial changes, unless they entirely remove hearts from the requirements (and I think that would be a bad idea, even though I personally dislike a lot of hearts as currently implemented). The system works well enough, it's fun for a lot of people, and removing hearts would reduce the process to a "same old/same old" of epic proportions. It would be faster, but even more dull than it is now.

For the former:

* [Lulle's Advanced World Map](https://oopsy.enjin.com/forum/m/41271713/viewthread/28848825-law-lulles-advanced-worldcompletion-guide) completion guide (caveat: does not include shortcuts made possible by using mounts)

That's an incredible time saver

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > Remove hearts, especially repeatable ones.

>

> I'd say repeatable hearts are a positive. The issue is that AFTER you map completed a heart and unlocked the vendor it SHOULD STAY UNLOCKED!!

I like being able to repeat them as well, but I'd maybe like to see a split on the store. A basic tab that has most things and a locked tab that has things like being able to buy a short stack of resources for the area. So take something like Lake Doric. Once I unlock a heart, I should always be able to buy, say, a miniature ghost cat that is for sale from that heart, but if I want the stack of jades I can buy each day, I should have to complete the heart to access that.

I've done map completion several times, just finished it on my Ele a few weeks ago and honestly, gliders and especially mounts made it a thousand times more fun and interesting than it was before. I'd like some better rewards though, guaranteed Key AND 2-3 trans charges for big maps (not small ones like Southsun Cove), more mats or something useful.

I think stuff like the bloodstone visage, big multi-map content that rewards something unique that you'll want to use are the way to go.

Improving rewards in general would be great. I mean no matter what you do how hard the content is, you'll 70% of the time get a bunch of greens.

Re-tiering rewards so that harder stuff gives guaranteed exotics, or some ascended mats would make the game much more rewarding and worth playing.

Stick those in stuff outside the big meta farms, so that people have incentives to do them. Like the anomaly thing rewarding mystic coins. But without having to hope that you have enough people to do it...

I mean there's a lot of fun content, like JPs, bounties, champions, world bosses, etc.

People don't do them because they're not rewarding enough. No matter how much fun you have, if you're not forwarding a goal, it feels empty and useless.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > Remove hearts, especially repeatable ones.

>

> None of the maps with repeatable Hearts applies to World Completion, only Core Tyria maps apply...any other maps you complete are because you want to, not because you have to.

Have to or the guide will always lead to the reset hearts.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > Remove hearts, especially repeatable ones.

> >

> > None of the maps with repeatable Hearts applies to World Completion, only Core Tyria maps apply...any other maps you complete are because you want to, not because you have to.

>

> Have to or the guide will always lead to the reset hearts.

My question is, why do people even have the guide on? Perhaps the first time through a map maybe, but once through a map I see no need for the guide, but then again, my play style is to not use the guide at all...so I don't have that problem. Also understand that not everyone plays the same way and others can play as they see fit, I just wonder what purpose does the guide provide to people...to me it removes the sense of exploration(for the first time on a map). For subsequent play through's I usually just remember the location of most events...or they pop up in the corner when you get close enough, what I'd really like is if it didn't show me anything in the content guide when I have it turned off, not even when I get close to it, unless I'm actually searching for an event or something.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > Remove hearts, especially repeatable ones.

> > >

> > > None of the maps with repeatable Hearts applies to World Completion, only Core Tyria maps apply...any other maps you complete are because you want to, not because you have to.

> >

> > Have to or the guide will always lead to the reset hearts.

>

> My question is, why do people even have the guide on? Perhaps the first time through a map maybe, but once through a map I see no need for the guide, but then again, my play style is to not use the guide at all...so I don't have that problem. Also understand that not everyone plays the same way and others can play as they see fit, I just wonder what purpose does the guide provide to people...to me it removes the sense of exploration(for the first time on a map). For subsequent play through's I usually just remember the location of most events...or they pop up in the corner when you get close enough, what I'd really like is if it didn't show me anything in the content guide when I have it turned off, not even when I get close to it, unless I'm actually searching for an event or something.

It's the little tidbit of areas of "unexplored area" which can be sometimes impossible to find.

Some of them I've finally learn how to locate like that one in Plains of Ascalon for the guild mission/dungeon thing, but the problem is for it to even uncover I need to smear my face all over the door to get bruises and splinters all over my face because anywhere not violating the door will not trigger that area as discovered.

Same for a Skritt area which I think is a story instance place on I think Gengaran Fields or Harathi Highlands.

I'd say let us choose to completely reset map completion. You could only reset maps in groups (Base game, HoT, PoF, LWS3) and only if you've completed the group entirely, we'd get rewards again but you'd definitely have to work for them again and give up access to some waypoints for a while. I personally love mapping and I'd be all for something like this. I would also like to see some small additions made to the little golden 100% mapping icon for the extra stuff, maybe something like small vines around the icon for HoT or flames under the icon for PoF.

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> >

> > None of the maps with repeatable Hearts applies to World Completion, only Core Tyria maps apply...any other maps you complete are because you want to, not because you have to.

>

Again, World Completion doesn't include any repeatable Renown Hearts.

Now, if you mean completing all HoT maps, or all PoF maps, that would be something different; but not World Completion.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > Remove hearts, especially repeatable ones.

> > >

> > > None of the maps with repeatable Hearts applies to World Completion, only Core Tyria maps apply...any other maps you complete are because you want to, not because you have to.

> >

> > Have to or the guide will always lead to the reset hearts.

>

> Again, World Completion doesn't include any repeatable Renown Hearts.

>

> Now, if you mean completing all HoT maps, or all PoF maps, that would be something different; but not World Completion.

As I said after that still though:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> >

>

Either give me a heartless guide, an anti-Jiminy Cricket, or remove repeatable hearts.

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > Remove hearts, especially repeatable ones.

> > > >

> > > > None of the maps with repeatable Hearts applies to World Completion, only Core Tyria maps apply...any other maps you complete are because you want to, not because you have to.

> > >

> > > Have to or the guide will always lead to the reset hearts.

> >

> > My question is, why do people even have the guide on? Perhaps the first time through a map maybe, but once through a map I see no need for the guide, but then again, my play style is to not use the guide at all...so I don't have that problem. Also understand that not everyone plays the same way and others can play as they see fit, I just wonder what purpose does the guide provide to people...to me it removes the sense of exploration(for the first time on a map). For subsequent play through's I usually just remember the location of most events...or they pop up in the corner when you get close enough, what I'd really like is if it didn't show me anything in the content guide when I have it turned off, not even when I get close to it, unless I'm actually searching for an event or something.

>

> It's the little tidbit of areas of "unexplored area" which can be sometimes impossible to find.

> Some of them I've finally learn how to locate like that one in Plains of Ascalon for the guild mission/dungeon thing, but the problem is for it to even uncover I need to smear my face all over the door to get bruises and splinters all over my face because anywhere not violating the door will not trigger that area as discovered.

>

> Same for a Skritt area which I think is a story instance place on I think Gengaran Fields or Harathi Highlands.

Hm, interesting, even with the guide off I still get that little "Unexplored Area" man up in the corner where the guide is normally...I get that thing on my main character when I go near someplace it says I haven't explored...even though I have, and the area it points to I can't even get near anyways. I do know the area you're talking about in Harathi Highlands, that would be the Feral Dens, and it is a location you can visit in the personal story if you select the Skritt, but I usually get that when I go near the waypoint that is right outside of the door...sounds like you might be encountering a glitch if you need to get that close to the door for it to register has having "discovered" those locations though. I'm an explorer by nature though so I always go into every nook and cranny, even more so now that we have mounts...have already found several areas where the terrain is not solid and I can walk/run/fly right through or underneath it, also have gotten stuck by getting outside of the playable area, but that's a different issue.

World completion is supposed to be a "work", costing time and efforts, especially as its final reward is a gift that is not supposed to be obtained easily. To find it fun - or not- is a matter of personal taste. Now if we repeat it several times (I did it 17 times, out of which 3 when WvW was part of it), it is clear that soon or later, we can get somewhat bored at it. But then we can vary the way we do it. Me for example, I always have a toon working it out as a "side" activity. I go somewhere with a main objective, and while I am there, I do vistas, pois and hearts around. After a while doing things here and there, I reached 80% done and from that step, I set it a higher priority and complete what is missing, what is less boring than doing one full area at a time (for me).

All in all, I find the way it is very logic: World completion requires to complete the world, that is made of: Vistas, pois and hearts. Sic.

Two thoughts to make world completion better/more interesting:

1) Add region completion rewards. Once you complete all the Ascalon maps, you get some reward related to those maps. Some for Kryta, Orr, etc. Not sure exactly what, but this could be related to the region in some way.

2) Remove the no gliding/no mount areas. Mounts & gliding make completion easier, but somewhat frustrating to be hopping along and get bumped off the mount because it is a no mount area. Likewise, remove a lot of the invisible walls. Maybe this would make some jumping puzzles trivial to complete, but so long as there are mesmers porting, not really any more trivial than that. Some puzzles are well enough separated from the world that the no mount/no gliding prohibition does not affect anything, so could remain for those.