Damage 'types'? (Not really sure if this has been touched on by anyone else, but oh well!)

Wilson.2486

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > As much as I like the complexity (old school DnD nerd here), I feel GW2 is better off without it.

> >

> > More streamlined.

> >

> > Also, speaking of DnD: imagine of GW2 had enemies immune to "normal" weapons like DnD has. Like, you could only harm them with an Ascended or better weapon equipped. Hehe...

>

> That kind of already exists, except it's more like "This foe cannot be harmed unless you perform some extra task to temporarily make the foe vulnerable".

But that is a whole world of difference, because it means that just about any character in any build, weapons etc, CAN do it. You don't need the Holy Avenger +5 of evil dispelling and awesome-swag-walks just to be able to hurt it.

I much prefer designs that puts the "optimalized" way in the hands of players, not in the gear. GW2 already does this pretty well, where you can use your weapon skills, and swap weapons to counter what enemies does or to do better damage etc. Passive systems like "I got a fire sword, and this enemy takes +4% more damage from fire" is just crazy boring. Honestly the more I look at Pen and Paper RPG's after playing GW2, I want to mod/create in a system closer to GW2's into whatever RPG I'm looking at, because the system is just that much more engaging.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > > As much as I like the complexity (old school DnD nerd here), I feel GW2 is better off without it.

> > >

> > > More streamlined.

> > >

> > > Also, speaking of DnD: imagine of GW2 had enemies immune to "normal" weapons like DnD has. Like, you could only harm them with an Ascended or better weapon equipped. Hehe...

> >

> > That kind of already exists, except it's more like "This foe cannot be harmed unless you perform some extra task to temporarily make the foe vulnerable".

>

> But that is a whole world of difference, because it means that just about any character in any build, weapons etc, CAN do it. You don't need the Holy Avenger +5 of evil dispelling and awesome-swag-walks just to be able to hurt it.

>

> I much prefer designs that puts the "optimalized" way in the hands of players, not in the gear. GW2 already does this pretty well, where you can use your weapon skills, and swap weapons to counter what enemies does or to do better damage etc. Passive systems like "I got a fire sword, and this enemy takes +4% more damage from fire" is just crazy boring. Honestly the more I look at Pen and Paper RPG's after playing GW2, I want to mod/create in a system closer to GW2's into whatever RPG I'm looking at, because the system is just that much more engaging.

It's really not different. The only difference is that gw2 conveniently puts the necessary means to make the target vulnerable within your reach without having to leave the battle (i.e. plot convenience). If it were more a reflection of reality, those immune targets would be immune to your normal weapons unless some special person with a special weapon was with you, exactly like you described in to previous post.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> As much as I like the complexity (old school DnD nerd here), I feel GW2 is better off without it.

>

> More streamlined.

>

> Also, speaking of DnD: imagine of GW2 had enemies immune to "normal" weapons like DnD has. Like, you could only harm them with an Ascended or better weapon equipped. Hehe...

I really kinda wish they had done something like this with raids.

> But that is a whole world of difference, because it means that just about any character in any build, weapons etc, CAN do it. You don't need the Holy Avenger +5 of evil dispelling and awesome-swag-walks just to be able to hurt it.

>

> I much prefer designs that puts the "optimalized" way in the hands of players, not in the gear. GW2 already does this pretty well, where you can use your weapon skills, and swap weapons to counter what enemies does or to do better damage etc. Passive systems like "I got a fire sword, and this enemy takes +4% more damage from fire" is just crazy boring. Honestly the more I look at Pen and Paper RPG's after playing GW2, I want to mod/create in a system closer to GW2's into whatever RPG I'm looking at, because the system is just that much more engaging.

And just to elaborate, I'm not saying we should just insert more damage types into GW2, because GW2's combat style and gear system do not support such a change unless those things were altered to better incorporate such a system. What I'm saying is, a system with more damage types isn't somehow inferior or less streamlined, it's just different.

For example, Blade and Soul has a damage type system where you have characters that deal different damage types (like Kung Fu master is able to do wind and/or fire damage, Warlock is able to do shadow and/or ice damage, etc) and the way their system works is you are capable of decreasing a foe's resistance to certain damage types with certain skills as well as changing your skills to perform more and better of a damage type while doing less of the other type. Their system is built on a give and take type of system as well as their gear being able to increase that element damage. It partially dictates your characters' builds. I think their system is rather odd but I can see where they are going with it and how you can build around it.

So going to your example, of course it's going to look bad when you try to super-impose another games' system onto another that doesn't support it. The question I would ask is, if you were trying to put damage types into GW2, how would you do it? Even if it's merely cosmetic, what changes would you add to make it so?

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > As much as I like the complexity (old school DnD nerd here), I feel GW2 is better off without it.

> >

> > More streamlined.

> >

> > Also, speaking of DnD: imagine of GW2 had enemies immune to "normal" weapons like DnD has. Like, you could only harm them with an Ascended or better weapon equipped. Hehe...

>

> That kind of already exists, except it's more like "This foe cannot be harmed unless you perform some extra task to temporarily make the foe vulnerable".

and now in PoF we just get "randomly invulnerable"

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > > As much as I like the complexity (old school DnD nerd here), I feel GW2 is better off without it.

> > >

> > > More streamlined.

> > >

> > > Also, speaking of DnD: imagine of GW2 had enemies immune to "normal" weapons like DnD has. Like, you could only harm them with an Ascended or better weapon equipped. Hehe...

> >

> > That kind of already exists, except it's more like "This foe cannot be harmed unless you perform some extra task to temporarily make the foe vulnerable".

>

>

Not to be cheeky, but look for other PnP RPGs ;) More narratively focused (for example FATE) are much more focused on the "will this mechanic create fun and cool scenes?".

Of course, hacking RPGs to do what you want is kind of ingrained in the hobby! :D

i think the damage types are a cosmetic easter egg from GW1, where the damage type you were using actually played a part in how you sometimes fought monsters, such as undead and necromancer minions taking double damage from holy damage. (with ray of judgment basically obliterating MM teams from pvp) plus certain types, like said holy, also ignored armor except under special circumstances - making them ideal to take down heavy armored classes.

One combo i remember utilising myself was Stone Striker - an elementalist enchantment that converted damage you dealt and recieved into earth damage - and mantra of earth, a mesmer stance that reduced earth damage by about half - effectively giving you a 50% resistance to pretty much all forms of damage. comboed with several other earth magic gizmo, geomancers insignia and the elementalist easily became a tank for the party.

(Until they encountered a mesmer or necro of course)

this is also the game that also had the mechanic of actually being able to resist or deal more damage based on where you hit an enemy player - rangers on the high ground for example not only shot farther and for more damage but also hit enemy players squarely on the head, whereas a warrior got a lot of damage reduction from simply placing a superior rune of absorption on the chest piece, as this was where they got hit most of the time in close quarters. Spells also hit players feet, oddly enough, so armor to reduce spell damage were often placed on the feet.

> @"Carlin Sanders.3587" said:

> i think the damage types are a cosmetic easter egg from GW1

Not so much easter eggs as features newer implemented. We had another noticable one on launch - the karma system. Its been entirerly removed from the UI today (only the meaningless currency remain). You could see if your character was "good" or "bad" by bars similar to xp, but it didnt do anything. This is why we still have some NPC dialogue that give you heart/fist options.

The astral axe you craft also has fire damage on it. Usually these types of damage are on legendary weapons. But they seem to be adding them more. Also some non legendary weapons replace the basic skin of a skill, like majorys axe, when you throw an axe you see her axe skin instead of a normal axe. kinda cool when you come across these.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage_type

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Carlin Sanders.3587" said:

> > i think the damage types are a cosmetic easter egg from GW1

> Not so much easter eggs as features newer implemented. We had another noticable one on launch - the karma system. Its been entirerly removed from the UI today (only the meaningless currency remain). You could see if your character was "good" or "bad" by bars similar to xp, but it didnt do anything. This is why we still have some NPC dialogue that give you heart/fist options.

>

That was entirely unrelated to Karma. The two has never been linked.

It was more of a disposition system á la the Fable games. Or alignments in Dungeons & Dragons.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> It was an interesting detail but never really found it relevant when making a build. It very occasionally came into play for very specific situations. There was also a water magic debuff that could get removed if you hit the enemy with fire damage and one of the monk henchmen's autoattack deals fire damage ...

There were definitely specific situations, yeah... in pvp often it was superior to do non-elemental and non physical damage if running spike builds for instance because of varying resistances (Obsidian Flame spike, IW consistent damage through all defenses, etc.) In PvE certain zones and clears were much easier with certain elements. The undead thing mentioned above sure, but in particular the Ring of Fire missions. Before the Nightfall days of heroes I used to run people through the final mission with just henchies and a W/E, Icy Dragon Sword, Hundred Blades build with Conjure Frost. By converting all of my damage output to cold AoE it made the titans easy to deal with and the mission as a whole pretty simple to run. There were other examples of this as well. Holy damage dervishes were particularly popular for a while in pvp, not only because there weren't any particular armor resistances to Holy, but also because self sac minion-mancers were a thing in the RA/TA environment, and the holy scythe hard countered it better than anything else with double damage AoE cleave.