Should we dry up the lakes?

Hell no! I like underwater combat. I remember when i started playing GW2 in 2014 and i was mind blown by the fact that lakes and rivers where not just some impassable terrain only present for aesthetic purpose (like it was in every other game i previously played), but instead something you could actually explore.

Of course, underwater combat has its problems, but the solution is fixing them, not erasing underwater combat from the game.

I like underwater combat. It was one of the things that sold this game for me! I could see them getting rid of underwater-only gear and skills, but I would much rather have an update to the underwater combat and underwater section designs. Orientation isn't too much of a problem in a well-designed "level". I think people don't spend enough time underwater to get used to the intricacies. That is definitely a gripe I have whenever I hop on an alt. I'm just not used to fighting underwater so I forget what skills do.

We just need some fun underwater areas. Most UW content is Krait, Undead, pirates, piranha, or otherwise hazardous. How many players are going to say, "I love hanging out with the Quaggon armor repair porporson." Of _course_ people are down on under water content. Arenanet has only made trouble for us under the sea.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> This thread unfortunately contains a common element you see quite often in the forums which is

> "I dont like underwater combat so lets get rid of it for everyone."

> Or more generically , get rid of everything I dont like.

>

It doesn't matter if you like it or not. The point is the system IS bad. The positioning of hitting things and missing attacks, lots of skills and traits not working being useless. Sometimes things above you below you and next to you all attaching you making grouping mobs an actual mess.

At no point did I say I dislike underwater combat. But the fact is it just does not work well at all. If something in a game doesn't work means it should get removed not if you like it or not

> @"Sylent.3165" said:

> > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > This thread unfortunately contains a common element you see quite often in the forums which is

> > "I dont like underwater combat so lets get rid of it for everyone."

> > Or more generically , get rid of everything I dont like.

> >

>

> It doesn't matter if you like it or not. The point is the system IS bad. The positioning of hitting things and missing attacks, lots of skills and traits not working being useless. Sometimes things above you below you and next to you all attaching you making grouping mobs an actual mess.

>

> At no point did I say I dislike underwater combat. But the fact is it just does not work well at all. If something in a game doesn't work means it should get removed not if you like it or not

Umm it does matter...its a poll thread.

> @"Sylent.3165" said:

> > @"mauried.5608" said:

> > This thread unfortunately contains a common element you see quite often in the forums which is

> > "I dont like underwater combat so lets get rid of it for everyone."

> > Or more generically , get rid of everything I dont like.

> >

>

> It doesn't matter if you like it or not. The point is the system IS bad. The positioning of hitting things and missing attacks, lots of skills and traits not working being useless. Sometimes things above you below you and next to you all attaching you making grouping mobs an actual mess.

>

> At no point did I say I dislike underwater combat. But the fact is it just does not work well at all. If something in a game doesn't work means it should get removed not if you like it or not

Nobody is taking away my piranha's...only wish I had them as an underwater pet instead of a skill.

The problem isn't the combat or that it's underwater, it's that you and many others lack the skill9s) to determine distance and location in a 3d environment such as underwater...a skill everyone should have some ability with irl, which is easy to then convert using in a virtual 3d environment like a game.

It is not just underwater combat, a lot of things need to be reworked. For example, if you are not high enough when you enter the water you will wind up swimming on it .... with almost no skills available to use. If you were previously navigating via the keyboard you can not use the intuitive pagedown to dive (which is what you would do underwater) but have to use your mouse. Just draining the lakes would be giving up, I would want to see a discussion of the problems so anet can decide on a best solution.

Repost from another thread asking the same questions. No it should not be gotten rid of... most people seem to agree it needs an overhaul but only a few actually seem to want it gone entirely:

Underwater combat does need an overhaul I think, but not as drastic as some people believe. There are a few classes that need some existing overland utilities/heals/trait-lines to be converted to underwater ones (revenant most especially). Beyond that, the biggest issue with underwater combat is that it is slow, and brings the entire game combat to a screeching halt when the overland typically feels fast paced and impactful. This is largely a power creep issue from elite specs and balancing, and to fix this, it's mostly a numbers tweaking game. A lot of underwater skills could be improved heavily in damage without affecting pvp environments significantly, particularly if every class gets the same treatment. If it really becomes a balance problem, drain the remaining water from the WvW areas. A number tweak alone that made everything underwater hit as hard and as fast as it does above would be enough to fix most of the issues with underwater combat just feeling bad (as long as you add in those utility skills I mentioned earlier... it never feels good to have your build style completely change to something useless the moment you step off land).

For the people with Spacial Awareness problems: The best solution to this would be to take spacial awareness mostly out of the equation. How do you do this without getting rid of the three-dimensional movement? Think old ranger longsword or new daredevil staff. Ranged weapons (Trident and Speargun) don't really have much of an issue underwater as they will track towards your target. If every melee skill underwater moved you towards your target but didn't move you through your target, as current staff Weakening Charge does, then that would make the combat feel better, but also make it so the people with poor spatial awareness no longer have to guess if they are close enough to hit what they are targeting.

Its almost funny (the sad, tragic kind of funny)

Whenever people make a topic with suggestions how to fix UW content it gets ignored, gets buried in the list, and anet will never notice.

Yet whenever people complain amd want uw content removed you suddenly get 2-4 pages of uw-content supporters.

Make up your mind, people, at this rate you’re keeping the rants high on the list and the positive topics get buried. Anet already often forgets they have a forum, we should let bad topics like these get buried so anet doesn’t see them

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> Its almost funny (the sad, tragic kind of funny)

> Whenever people make a topic with suggestions how to fix UW content it gets ignored, gets buried in the list, and anet will never notice.

> Yet whenever people complain amd want uw content removed you suddenly get 2-4 pages of uw-content supporters.

>

> Make up your mind, people, at this rate you’re keeping the rants high on the list and the positive topics get buried. Anet already often forgets they have a forum, we should let bad topics like these get buried so anet doesn’t see them

Not surprising though to see people react to negativity more than to positive constructive criticism. This is the internet after all.