Would you trade a character name if someone asked?

My Characters use random lore-ish names so I don't know why anyone would want them. It's not hard to make a different one.

If that wasn't the case and I did make a character that by chance was a tag that someone has gone by on the internet for a long time then sure, so long as they pay for a name change. If they just like the name and wanted I would probably charge more.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know.. why can't we have duplicate names in the first place?

When mailing you always refer to the .1234 behind a person's name, and when you interact with a person you either know them, or you're with them physically.

So why can't we have duplicate names?

I mean.. sure, someone might be confused once, but that risk is about identical as confusing juliá and julià.

But any sane person would always double-check a recipients name when mailing, anyway. And i think most people mail by rightclicking in the chat or friendlist.

i'd be fine with giving up my character's name, snuglock grinnjaw, and changing it to something memey- IF the compensation was good enough (paying for the contract and a couple dozen g extra at least).

Although i don't think my name is funny or cool enough to have someone else want it.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> The nearest to that I've seen is when they added the new Elonian hair styles and I made a character called Missandei of Narth after the Game of Thorns character, because one of the hair styles looked a lot like hers. Shortly after I loaded into the tutorial I found myself next to two other Missandei's, but obviously slightly different variants on the name. Talking to them I found out that we'd all assumed just Missandei would be taken (turns out it wasn't, I checked later that night) and we'd all had different approaches to modifying the name - all 3 of us got an unused name on our first attempt and I doubt we were the only people to have that idea.

Sounds like all three of you were suffering from minor variations of the same (wait for it) Missandei Standing.

More seriously, it's food for thought when people complain that they must, absolutely must have a certain combination of letters. Even Aragorn has many names, as does Voldemort and Palawa Joko and so on. Would my gaming life be that much improved if I had been able to snag the character name, "Who" from the start? (Well, yes, of course it would have... but that's besides the point.) Names are obviously important to us, but perhaps we let them consume out attention too much nonetheless.

@"Balthazzarr.1349"

Can you read even between the lines here? Or do you just ignore now the fact, that I wanted to try to be nice only with my name list...

If everything you can think about right now is only of becoming potentially infracted for just answering me, then I in fact just do believe that the deletion of your post was rightfully made by the Mods, because I absolutely believe in them in this case, that they were, unlike you now, able to read between the lines and see what perhaps my true intention with this post was in real, which I wanted to describe now.

Why? Because I just saw now, with your bad reaction, that you totally got everything into the wrong throat here, what I explained here at the beginning by using a kind of german slang at the start of my post, but maybe this doesn't sound the same way on English like it does for us in Germany - my bad for thinking so - in that case sorry again for misunderstandings.

However, I suggest, we just let it be here and forget everything here now, because as it seems I'm unable to fix here, whats already broken in how you think about my intentions ...

> @"Orpheal.8263" said:

> @"Balthazzarr.1349"

>

> Can you read even between the lines here? Or do you just ignore now the fact, that I wanted to try to be nice only with my name list...

> If everything you can think about right now is only of becoming potentially infracted for just answering me, then I in fact just do believe that the deletion of your post was rightfully made by the Mods, because I absolutely believe in them in this case, that they were, unlike you now, able to read between the lines and see what perhaps my true intention with this post was in real, which I wanted to describe now.

> Why? Because I just saw now, with your bad reaction, that you totally got everything into the wrong throat here, what I explained here at the beginning by using a kind of german slang at the start of my post, but maybe this doesn't sound the same way on English like it does for us in Germany - my bad for thinking so - in that case sorry again for misunderstandings.

>

> However, I suggest, we just let it be here and forget everything here now, because as it seems I'm unable to fix here, whats already broken in how you think about my intentions ...

oh dear.. I even said I had no ill will.. ??? I don't understand why you're continuing to get angrier at me... my "stick planted in my butt" comment was seriously a joke at myself... not a shot at you. It's really too bad this is typed in a note instead of spoken in voice to each other because we'd be laughing about how silly this got instead of potentially escalating into something it shouldn't be. Honestly I will say this again, it's all good.. there is no issue at my end.

Depends how involved I am in the character in question, I suppose. If it's a character where I just levelled, then left on the back burner, then I might consider it, but most of my characters are like children to me. I've named them, made them, nurtured them, developed them etc. To give away their name, I feel would be giving away a part of that work.

Plus, I don't know how I'd feel if I saw that person's character on the same server as me with my old character name. It'd be kind of like giving up a child for adoption to a neighbour - I'd probably regret it when seeing that name every day in my face.

Maybe that's an extreme comparison, but a comparison nonetheless.