Community vs guild

SugarCayne.3098

It really depends on the GvG team and the leader's personality.

My experience has been that these guys are part of the server and when not doing GvGs, they're out leading with public tags, or at the very least cooperating with other commanders on the map.

Subsequently because these guys are cooperative with everyone, most people leave them alone when they GvG. Give some to get some kind of deal. There's usually even a big crowd that comes out to watch -- at least in the heyday of GvG.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the option, I'd remove guilds from the entirety of GW2. The underlying design ethos of the game never required them and much of the content actively works against them. Like Dungeons, Guilds seem to be a comfort blanket ANet hung on to from earlier MMOs, but whereas they had the presence of mind to let Dungeons wither and die, they still pay some lip service to the usefulness of guilds, albeit less so than they did a few years ago. The Squad function combined with the LFG tool provide all the flexibility the game requires, in WvW and PvE alike. If there were no guilds players would use both more effectively and readily.

WvW particularly was promoted as a battle between large armies over territory, not a head-butting contest between relatively small, semi-private groups. Like most aspects of the original GW2 design that has been fatally compromised over the years by changes in both the wider structure (Megaservers) and the specific playing field of WvW itself (Endless tinkering with the scoring system). Those who say server pride is dead are wrong but they may be right in saying its too late to go back to where we were.

Blow it up and start again. And this time, leave guilds out of it.

> @"Reverence.6915" said:

> Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

>

You can call anything compromise of people as community but it doesn't automatically means they are tight. That is to say, even a group of lost sheeps can be called a community.

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> > Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

> >

>

> You can call anything compromise of people as community but it doesn't automatically means they are tight. That is to say, even a group of lost sheeps can be called a community.

Sheep, like beer, is both plural and singular.

That said, calling unguilded players lost sheep is probably not going to win you points.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

>

Again, pointless if the server you're on is dead. Servers die not because of a lack of population - that is merely a symptom of larger causes. Servers die because of a lack of leadership provided by the guilds (or lack thereof) that run the events to keep a server alive. Pugmanders won't keep a server alive by themselves. It'll always be the big guilds providing the bulk of the support for a server.

> @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> > Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

> >

>

> Again, pointless if the server you're on is dead. Servers die not because of a lack of population - that is merely a symptom of larger causes. Servers die because of a lack of leadership provided by the guilds (or lack thereof) that run the events to keep a server alive. Pugmanders won't keep a server alive by themselves. It'll always be the big guilds providing the bulk of the support for a server.

That’s not true at all in my experience. It’s the pug groups that create and run the events.

Guilds tend to be focused on their guilds. Exceptional guilds will dedicate a portion of their game time to overalll server activity, but for the most part they’re insular.

> @"SugarCayne.3098" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > > > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> > > Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

> > >

> >

> > Again, pointless if the server you're on is dead. Servers die not because of a lack of population - that is merely a symptom of larger causes. Servers die because of a lack of leadership provided by the guilds (or lack thereof) that run the events to keep a server alive. Pugmanders won't keep a server alive by themselves. It'll always be the big guilds providing the bulk of the support for a server.

>

> That’s not true at all in my experience. It’s the pug groups that create and run the events.

>

> Guilds tend to be focused on their guilds. Exceptional guilds will dedicate a portion of their game time to overalll server activity, but for the most part they’re insular.

There are guilds that leads the server tagging up for the server and support pugs all the time, and there are guilds who just tell people to kitten off, troll team chat and insults everyone's intelligence to self validate their epeen.

I guess it used to be common to see seasoned commanders leading the server pugs without their guilds, it is so rare these days.

> @"ThunderPanda.1872" said:

> > @"SugarCayne.3098" said:

> > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > > > > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> > > > Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Again, pointless if the server you're on is dead. Servers die not because of a lack of population - that is merely a symptom of larger causes. Servers die because of a lack of leadership provided by the guilds (or lack thereof) that run the events to keep a server alive. Pugmanders won't keep a server alive by themselves. It'll always be the big guilds providing the bulk of the support for a server.

> >

> > That’s not true at all in my experience. It’s the pug groups that create and run the events.

> >

> > Guilds tend to be focused on their guilds. Exceptional guilds will dedicate a portion of their game time to overalll server activity, but for the most part they’re insular.

>

> There are guilds that leads the server tagging up for the server and support pugs all the time, and there are guilds who just tell people to kitten off, troll team chat and insults everyone's intelligence to self validate their kitten.

>

> I guess it used to be common to see seasoned commanders leading the server pugs without their guilds, it is so rare these days.

... but then again isnt guilds being able to lead their raids instead of being "forced" to lead pugs a sign of a healthy game? That means guilds have manpower available.

> > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"Reverence.6915" said:

> > > > Servers matter little if the server you're on is dead. Guilds are the foundation on which server communities are built. Guilds matter way more

> > > Players are the foundation on which guilds are built, hence they matter more than guilds by that same logic. And since players make up the entire server community, that means they matter more.

> > >

> >

> > You can call anything compromise of people as community but it doesn't automatically means they are tight. That is to say, even a group of lost sheeps can be called a community.

>

> Sheep, like beer, is both plural and singular.

>

> That said, calling unguilded players lost sheep is probably not going to win you points.

>

>

And what points am I trying to gain here?

> @"PrinceofPleasure.5270" said:

> Your poll is lacking the third option: both. Because that's what is necessary for a server to remain healthy, a good balance of "casual" or ppt orientated players, as well as GvG guilds that keep your fighting force in good shape and high quality.

That would be option one if you read ;)

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> >

>

> You can call anything compromise of people as community but it doesn't automatically means they are tight. That is to say, even a group of lost sheeps can be called a community.

In terms of being "lost sheep" i'd say that is exactly what many players who spend countless hours in a video game and feel the need to always be in a guild are.

I love guilds, I wish anet would redesign wvw so more gl's could orchestrate better comps. Without guilds hosting raids, wvw is becoming much more boring. But I think "hosting" is a major term here. Guilds need a smart hierarchy to create a comp and organize raids, but I think keeping the group closed is better left to the boarderlands. In eb, closing a tag is like using a portal bomb, seems like a good idea until the wipe.

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > **Guilds are just chatrooms in a comunity, altough that comunity only exist tied to a server wich means, comunities only exist on WvW..**

> >

> > Out of the comunity theres, the pugs... aka pve players.

>

> I’m a pug. Definitely not pve though.

So, you are in the comunity but not in the chat rooms :) dont call urself a pug.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> @SugarCayne., only NA servers or it is my impression?????

Yes. Also I don't see how that equates to community if one person is asking someone to just transfer to their server. The only server on that list that consistently has server-wide camaraderie would probably be Maguuma.

"Now GTFO." - Maguuma Motto

> @"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @SugarCayne., only NA servers or it is my impression?????

>

> Yes. Also I don't see how that equates to community if one person is asking someone to just transfer to their server. The only server on that list that consistently has server-wide camaraderie would probably be Maguuma.

>

> "Now GTFO." - Maguuma Motto

I bet most players would desagree, that's not what Mag chat's and Ts are about.

That is not how Mag is labeled.