Whats the scrapper for?

Amaranthe.3578

It was supposed to be a melee brawler that gives super speed like a chrono did quickness/alacrity, but it was never really good at it and super speed was never really used for anything. And the melee brawler part would have been fine had the damage not been subpar or mesmers not so efficient at tanking.

Scrapper doesn't really fit any role in PvE.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > @"HyperLooser.2698" said:

> > hammer scrapper is a superb solo class, has survivability, decent damage and superb AoE CC with daze fields. Along with power renegade, my favourite solo pve class.

>

> would you please link a solo pve scrapper build?

[gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhSsYtWw6KQ7FL3FFYDGhBgYB9DhI9tH75OA-jxRGQBA4BAogLAwAV+BRlgkRHAgU/BE7PAA-e](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhSsYtWw6KQ7FL3FFYDGhBgYB9DhI9tH75OA-jxRGQBA4BAogLAwAV+BRlgkRHAgU/BE7PAA-e "gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhSsYtWw6KQ7FL3FFYDGhBgYB9DhI9tH75OA-jxRGQBA4BAogLAwAV+BRlgkRHAgU/BE7PAA-e")

If i'm on my own i'm running this. U can also use zerker trinkets i'm just liking the boon duration bonus. Also u can make a few tweaks for more offense and less defense. Never found a place where i can't go with this setup. Some ppl are also using elexier gun instead of the granadekit but i like an range option to be more versetile. U also can drop the granadekit for bulwark gyro if you face an nasty encounter. Outside of PoF i'm using also explosives as mastery instead of alchi and swich the granedkit into bombkit for more close combat fun.

I'm opening with the hammercombos and toolbeltskills for first dps and buffs. Switching over to FT for stability and Might to build quickness. Using Flashgranade for blinds and AA if i need to go ranged. Mostly using Hammer and FT on the fly. Elexir B is my pre pot or if things are going to be nasty.

I'm often using the sneak gyro to skip anoying mobs or sneak into a place and steal an HP/chest/MP. I'm also running this build in fractals, full zerker and complete offensive skilled/traited.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQJAqelcThyrY1VwWLw6FL3FF9q365OYDGhBgYB9D5AA-jxxEABAciAcS5ngKBVU9H30Tg/+DG8ABIFALK2A-e

This is my unkillable close range flamethrower juggernaut. Just close within melee, pop some potions and unleash flaming destruction on the enemies. Stacks massive regeneration and protection. All the while maxing the damage output with 10x attacks a second on flamethrower. Highest DPS of any class and the least damage taken

i'm not even sure what's scrapper for. lol. but it definitely leans toward solo players. you have sustain, can be tanky, deal good damage, lots of aoe and cc.

i say scrapper is underestimated rather than underperformed. holosmith takes the spotlight with the crazy damage but has little to no sustain.

i think they need to rework gyros. some aren't even useful and slightly slow/bugged. but the stealth gyros, detect stealth, and function gyro are too good.

Scrapper was meta when HoT came out and was one of the unkillable spec 1 vs 1 kinda like how mirage is right now. It got nerfed to the ground.

Holo is a big spike class right now but no-where near unkillable like scrapper was but i believe its burst will get fixed soon.

ANET specialize in taking a complete OP spec and nerfing it into void that its no longer viable.

> @"Krag.6210" said:

> It was supposed to be a melee brawler that gives super speed like a chrono did quickness/alacrity, but it was never really good at it and super speed was never really used for anything. And the melee brawler part would have been fine had the damage not been subpar or mesmers not so efficient at tanking.

> Scrapper doesn't really fit any role in PvE.

That's because they designed it exclusively for PvP, which is nonsense imo. They could've created a spec with acceptable dps while tanking, and all we've got are pvp related traits , a few of which have never been used succesfully, like shocking speed or applied force.

> @"Akeno.4962" said:

> > @"Krag.6210" said:

> > It was supposed to be a melee brawler that gives super speed like a chrono did quickness/alacrity, but it was never really good at it and super speed was never really used for anything. And the melee brawler part would have been fine had the damage not been subpar or mesmers not so efficient at tanking.

> > Scrapper doesn't really fit any role in PvE.

>

> That's because they designed it exclusively for PvP, which is nonsense imo. They could've created a spec with acceptable dps while tanking, and all we've got are pvp related traits , a few of which have never been used succesfully, like shocking speed or applied force.

Pretttttty much.

Even a cursory examination of scrapper indicates it was solely designed for PvP:

* Its "unique mechanic," the function gyro, is practically worthless outside of PvP/WvW contexts. They didn't even bother to do some minor utility improvements for PvE (context actions/rezzing/etc).

* Gyros are extremely weak in PvE contexts. The survivability they provide is genuinely unimportant in PvE, as any kind of support a player might need would be provided by an ally better-suited for that task (IE Druid/Firebrand).

* The hammer itself is a tanky weapon, but doesn't provide the kind of utility that a chronotank can in PvE. The damage it does does not make up for its lack of utility in PvE.

* The traits were very clearly designed for PvP, with a heavy emphasis on CC, which, while important in PvE, isn't as important as PvP.

It seems this expansion round, the Deadeye got the Scrapper treatment, except Deadeye seems to be designed for WvW instead. Spellbreaker is also purely PvP-oriented. Meanwhile, classes like Guardian never seem to get the short end of the stick.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> Pretttttty much.

>

> Even a cursory examination of scrapper indicates it was solely designed for PvP:

>

> * Its "unique mechanic," the function gyro, is practically worthless outside of PvP/WvW contexts. They didn't even bother to do some minor utility improvements for PvE (context actions/rezzing/etc).

> * Gyros are extremely weak in PvE contexts. The survivability they provide is genuinely unimportant in PvE, as any kind of support a player might need would be provided by an ally better-suited for that task (IE Druid/Firebrand).

> * The hammer itself is a tanky weapon, but doesn't provide the kind of utility that a chronotank can in PvE. The damage it does does not make up for its lack of utility in PvE.

> * The traits were very clearly designed for PvP, with a heavy emphasis on CC, which, while important in PvE, isn't as important as PvP.

>

> It seems this expansion round, the Deadeye got the Scrapper treatment, except Deadeye seems to be designed for WvW instead. Spellbreaker is also purely PvP-oriented. Meanwhile, classes like Guardian never seem to get the short end of the stick.

Spellbreaker actually has a pve niche: high level fractals. And, to make matters worse, all it probably needs for raid viability is a pve version of revenge counter that lets you "remove" boons (for traits to activate) even if the enemy has no boons, some seconds after a full counter.

Deadeye could have turn into the mightbot after warrior nerfs if they hadn't given that role to Druid.

But Scrapper doesn't have any possible solution in its current state. Holosmith is a better alternative in every single mode, even if Scrapper was designed exclusively for pvp.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> > @"Akeno.4962" said:

> > > @"Krag.6210" said:

> > > It was supposed to be a melee brawler that gives super speed like a chrono did quickness/alacrity, but it was never really good at it and super speed was never really used for anything. And the melee brawler part would have been fine had the damage not been subpar or mesmers not so efficient at tanking.

> > > Scrapper doesn't really fit any role in PvE.

> >

> > That's because they designed it exclusively for PvP, which is nonsense imo. They could've created a spec with acceptable dps while tanking, and all we've got are pvp related traits , a few of which have never been used succesfully, like shocking speed or applied force.

>

> Pretttttty much.

>

> Even a cursory examination of scrapper indicates it was solely designed for PvP:

>

> * Its "unique mechanic," the function gyro, is practically worthless outside of PvP/WvW contexts. They didn't even bother to do some minor utility improvements for PvE (context actions/rezzing/etc).

> * Gyros are extremely weak in PvE contexts. The survivability they provide is genuinely unimportant in PvE, as any kind of support a player might need would be provided by an ally better-suited for that task (IE Druid/Firebrand).

> * The hammer itself is a tanky weapon, but doesn't provide the kind of utility that a chronotank can in PvE. The damage it does does not make up for its lack of utility in PvE.

> * The traits were very clearly designed for PvP, with a heavy emphasis on CC, which, while important in PvE, isn't as important as PvP.

>

> It seems this expansion round, the Deadeye got the Scrapper treatment, except Deadeye seems to be designed for WvW instead. Spellbreaker is also purely PvP-oriented. Meanwhile, classes like Guardian never seem to get the short end of the stick.

Id understand if the 4th e spec would be heavily focused on a specific mode but doing this now is pretty weird

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQJAqelcThyrY1VwWLw6FL3FF9q365OYDGhBgYB9D5AA-jxxEABAciAcS5ngKBVU9H30Tg/+DG8ABIFALK2A-e

>

> This is my unkillable close range flamethrower juggernaut. Just close within melee, pop some potions and unleash flaming destruction on the enemies. Stacks massive regeneration and protection. All the while maxing the damage output with 10x attacks a second on flamethrower. Highest DPS of any class and the least damage taken

Does this actually work? I may have to give it a shot!

Lol scrapper didn't suddenly become bad they were pushed out of the pvp meta by scourge and replaced by holosmith which hits a heck of a lot harder and doesn't require them to be in full time melee to deal decent damage has more mobility and funny enough more cc because they use rifle compared to scrapper that tend to stick with hammers. A Scrapper could build exactly like the meta holosmith build because most of the stuff is core eng it really just comes down to the fact that holosmith hits way harder and whatever defensives scrapper had can be replaced with core eng utility to mimic or get close to what scrapper was capable of. The only real thing scrapper has on holosmith was the cleanse potential from cleanse gyro and the passive healing from superspeed everything else core eng can provide an alternative for.

I think he was made as a PvP malee brawler or a frontliner. And at some point it really worked as a PvP class. The problem that with all the balancing it gradually got useless. I hope that with their new more favorable to skill splits strategy that they might do a scrapper fix to make again a good PvP class. I think i like the idea of Elite Specs to have such game mode specializations.

TBH that is probably a consequence of the Specs in HoT being rushed and in the process of balancing the issues with all the Specs, scrapper got the short end of the stick.

PoF Specs seem much more patiently designed as a whole. I would not worry about holo. But i would like to see the scrapper become a good frontliner at least.

> @"Turin.6921" said:

> I think he was made as a PvP malee brawler or a frontliner. And at some point it really worked as a PvP class. The problem that with all the balancing it gradually got useless. I hope that with their new more favorable to skill splits strategy that they might do a scrapper fix to make again a good PvP class. I think i like the idea of Elite Specs to have such game mode specializations.

>

> TBH that is probably a consequence of the Specs in HoT being rushed and in the process of balancing the issues with all the Specs, scrapper got the short end of the stick.

> PoF Specs seem much more patiently designed as a whole. I would not worry about holo. But i would like to see the scrapper become a good frontliner at least.

I would like to see scrapper actually fulfill what seems to be its intended role -- frontline support. With an AI rework of the gyros and a retooling of several skills to buff damage/survivability and buffs, it could be exactly that.