Why no ui option to toggle distances of "stuff"?

Swagger.1459

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I'm not sure what you're after, could you explain a bit more perhaps?

What he said.

But i'm going to assume you want visual indicators for ranges...

Well, except for portals, which is wonky. You already have those.

You can look at the skill bar after you pick a target, if there's a red bar under the icon, its out of range. If there isn't one, then you're in range. Easy.

For ground targeted spells, there's 2 ways to do it. You either have it unlocked and you have to wait for the marker to go green from red (if you're using normal targeting or quick cast with ground target) or you can lock it so you can't aim past max range.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I'm not sure what you're after, could you explain a bit more perhaps?

Option to toggle a number above a target so I know exactly how far the target is.

I drop a Mesmer portal and it also has a number on it indicating its distance from me.

Stuff like that...

The the game tracks distances of everything, so why can we not display some of the distances?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > I'm not sure what you're after, could you explain a bit more perhaps?

>

> Option to toggle a number above a target so I know exactly how far the target is.

>

> I drop a Mesmer portal and it also has a number on it indicating its distance from me.

>

> Stuff like that...

>

> The the game tracks distances of everything, so why can we not display some of the distances?

>

There's probably some good reasons. I think one of the dps meters had it, and it was one of the "illegal" things on it that got the developer banned from GW2. So, yeah.

I can tell you an easy one. You might use it to track people behind obstacles.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I can see that being useful, but not sure I'd want more UI clutter.

It’s not useful to see if your target is in range of your skill? Go to wvw and see your target moving around?

My optional UI clutter (a simple number), doesn’t affect you right?

This game has a mostly fixed UI with tons of clutter btw.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > I can see that being useful, but not sure I'd want more UI clutter.

>

> It’s not useful to see if your target is in range of your skill? **Go to wvw and see your target moving around?**

>

> My optional UI clutter (a simple number), doesn’t affect you right?

>

> This game has a mostly fixed UI with tons of clutter btw.

That's probably why they don't want it in the game.

Tons of clutter? It's the cleanest UI in any MMORPG out there. Dafuq are you talking about?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

>

> Thought the devs wanted us to look at the game, not keep eyes on a little red bar on the ancient UI?

>

> Why are we forced to use a UI with less features than mmos built in the 90s?

Pretty sure MMOs built in the 90's were all text... But i digress. It's to prevent cheating and reduce the clutter you complained about.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > > Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

> >

> > Thought the devs wanted us to look at the game, not keep eyes on a little red bar on the ancient UI?

> >

> > Why are we forced to use a UI with less features than mmos built in the 90s?

>

> Pretty sure MMOs built in the 90's were all text... But i digress. It's to prevent cheating and reduce the clutter you complained about.

So wanting a tiny distance number above my target is somehow related to cheating? This little distance number would also be considered visually breaking clutter? Seeing the exact distance to my Mesmer portal would somehow destroy the game?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > > > Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

> > >

> > > Thought the devs wanted us to look at the game, not keep eyes on a little red bar on the ancient UI?

> > >

> > > Why are we forced to use a UI with less features than mmos built in the 90s?

> >

> > Pretty sure MMOs built in the 90's were all text... But i digress. It's to prevent cheating and reduce the clutter you complained about.

>

> So wanting a tiny distance number above my target is somehow related to cheating? This little distance number would also be considered visually breaking clutter? Seeing the exact distance to my Mesmer portal would somehow destroy the game?

1) Yes, if you can track a player that isn't within eyesight, it might be abused.

2) Maybe, Arena Net ARE very strict on how they like the game to look, which is why they aren't that keen on allowing UI customization.

3) That is a different matter. They can't really show that because of restrictions on the skill system.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

>

> Thought the devs wanted us to look at the game, not keep eyes on a little red bar on the ancient UI?

>

> Why are we forced to use a UI with less features than mmos built in the 90s?

What's the difference from checking a red bar (that goes like: "Yes" or "No") then checking a number that you gotta translate first (how far is that for skill X?)

You are making trouble where's none.

Excelsior.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > > > > Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

> > > >

> > > > Thought the devs wanted us to look at the game, not keep eyes on a little red bar on the ancient UI?

> > > >

> > > > Why are we forced to use a UI with less features than mmos built in the 90s?

> > >

> > > Pretty sure MMOs built in the 90's were all text... But i digress. It's to prevent cheating and reduce the clutter you complained about.

> >

> > So wanting a tiny distance number above my target is somehow related to cheating? This little distance number would also be considered visually breaking clutter? Seeing the exact distance to my Mesmer portal would somehow destroy the game?

> 1) Yes, if you can track a player that isn't within eyesight, it might be abused.

> 2) Maybe, Arena Net ARE very strict on how they like the game to look, which is why they aren't that keen on allowing UI customization.

> 3) That is a different matter. They can't really show that because of restrictions on the skill system.

>

Targeting already breaks after a certain distance... The distance indicator can follow the same rule, and all players would have access to it as on option. Still an issue?

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > > Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

> >

> > Thought the devs wanted us to look at the game, not keep eyes on a little red bar on the ancient UI?

> >

> > Why are we forced to use a UI with less features than mmos built in the 90s?

>

> What's the difference from checking a red bar (that goes like: "Yes" or "No") then checking a number that you gotta translate first (how far is that for skill X?)

> You are making trouble where's none.

>

> Excelsior.

Well theres one option that limits AOE range spell and u wont enter in the red zone of the casting with the mouse, mouse and aoe location will be "locked" and u will never leave the green zone of casting with the mouse pointer.

For single skills i thnk it is not needed players need to know by visually the distance, players will get used to distances after tick the option above

Sorry the bad english :>

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > I'm not sure what you're after, could you explain a bit more perhaps?

>

> Option to toggle a number above a target so I know exactly how far the target is.

>

> I drop a Mesmer portal and it also has a number on it indicating its distance from me.

>

> Stuff like that...

>

> The the game tracks distances of everything, so why can we not display some of the distances?

>

>

Wait, can you please tell me how I can tell how far is too far to drop a Mesmer Portal? I can never see this or know how to notice. It would help me out a ton when portaling people.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> Don't you already know if they are in range by the red bar?

What red bar???