The problem with repeatable renown hearts.

Mal.1670

One of the most satisfying parts of the base game for a lot of players has probably been the pick-up-and-play nature of exploring maps, discovering events, getting bits of map completion here and there, all building up to something bigger reward down the line if the journey wasn't already reward enough. While repeatable renown hearts remove some of the gratification of (permanently) completing a map, they offer replayability that didn't exist previously.

The problem is that unlike the easily accessible base game's hearts (and events/map completion in general), repeatable hearts are completely all-or-nothing. This is compounded by the fact that unlike many of the renown hearts in Central Tyria, the hearts in PoF maps usually take far more time to complete. There's no longer the ability to save partial progress on a repeatable heart while you explore a map, because at every daily server reset, you lose any progress you might have made. And that's no fun!

**Suggestion: if you don't fully complete a repeatable heart in one day, the progress you made is saved until you return and fully complete that heart.** Then it resets the next day as usual.

Yes, we can only speculate how much this would add to programming time, but considering that repeatable renown hearts are looking to be a mainstay in new Living World maps, this should be a very welcome change especially to the players who have complained about them. Like I said, I don't mind repeatable hearts since they do add replayability; they could just really use the capacity to save partial progress like the regular hearts in the open world. Thoughts?

> @"Mal.1670" said:

> **Suggestion: if you don't fully complete a repeatable heart in one day, the progress you made is saved until you return and fully complete that heart.** Then it resets the next day as usual.

Did you mean something other than this?

>> Partially completed renown hearts now keep their progress across daily reset.

>> [source](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/315811/#Comment_315811)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> I thought they added that already.

>

> [Game Release notes: Dec 12, 2017](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/20444/game-release-notes-december-12-2017#latest)

> >Partially completed renown hearts now keep their progress across daily reset

That seems to bug on occasion, I did one of the Elon Riverlands hearts on a new character and completed it about 70% then logged out, when I came back the next day after reset the heart was reset to 0%.

> @"Lexi.1398" said:

> Partially done renown hearts have never saved progress after daily reset for me though, i thought this was a viable suggestion to start with because of that. perhaps needs a bug fix then?

It has worked fine for me so far and i had one save over multiple days which i had forgotten about.. If anyone finds it isnt saving, best bet is to submit a bug report on the heart which reset.

I just wish the repeatable hearts had core items available all the time after first completion and special items available on daily repeat. They could even shuffle special and import items around depending on the day to keep people interested. For example one heart on Ember Bay could say that they got a special shipment of snow truffles one day. If they account capped players on how many of the items they could buy a day of special items it wouldn't blow the economy and keep people jumping around doing hearts. Web tables would spring up for tracking which repeatable hearts have which items that day based on player input.

The devs could use a automatic system to help them to balance players across maps based on trends. If one map had a lull they could offer really good items which would cause people to flow to that map. In addition to regular crafting items they could include things like 10 mystic coins, 50 thermocataltic reagents, etc. They could have back-end tables to prices in map currency and unbound/volatile magic that sites could track.

I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

And there’s no setting for this either.

You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

> They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

>

> And there’s no setting for this either.

> You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

> We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

I've been saying this for months now.

This is the exact reason why I can't stand them.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

> They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

>

> And there’s no setting for this either.

> You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

> We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

I'd love a setting on the guide. It keeps reverting to the LS1 story recap, for me.

Iightt would be great if we could right click it and choose what it guides us to, that would be perfect.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

> > They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

> >

> > And there’s no setting for this either.

> > You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

> > We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

>

> I've been saying this for months now.

> This is the exact reason why I can't stand them.

More to the point, "Disable all explorable content." No vistas, no POI's, no hearts. Doing dailies would become infinitely easier.

> @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

> > > They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

> > >

> > > And there’s no setting for this either.

> > > You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

> > > We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

> >

> > I've been saying this for months now.

> > This is the exact reason why I can't stand them.

>

> More to the point, "Disable all explorable content." No vistas, no POI's, no hearts. Doing dailies would become infinitely easier.

That's all I would want honestly.

> @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

> > > They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

> > >

> > > And there’s no setting for this either.

> > > You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

> > > We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

> >

> > I've been saying this for months now.

> > This is the exact reason why I can't stand them.

>

> More to the point, "Disable all explorable content." No vistas, no POI's, no hearts. Doing dailies would become infinitely easier.

because dailies are so hard now?

> @"DarcShriek.5829" said:

> > @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > I have a different problem with the repeatable hearts:

> > > > They prevent you from seeing events on the map. The LS maps are so small that a repeatable heart on the other side of the map will dominate the content guide,even when an event is realistically closer.

> > > >

> > > > And there’s no setting for this either.

> > > > You can turn off the content guide, turn off events but keep tracking hearts, or track hearts and events where hearts are dominant.

> > > > We need a content guide option that says “_track events only, and ignore the six-forsaken repeatable hearts_”

> > >

> > > I've been saying this for months now.

> > > This is the exact reason why I can't stand them.

> >

> > More to the point, "Disable all explorable content." No vistas, no POI's, no hearts. Doing dailies would become infinitely easier.

>

> because dailies are so hard now?

Maybe easy wasn't the correct word, but events are always the lowest on-screen notification priority. On a non-completed map (or completed map with reset hearts) you always have to change settings in order to see event notifications. On some maps that I've done 100% I still get the occasional "there's an unexplored location in this area" because maybe I missed some remote map corner or something. If any exploration item is closer than an event it will take priority in the notification area. It's a constant annoyance.

Oh what the hell I could have sworn that the repeatable hearts reset all progress at daily server reset time [(like it says on the wiki)]("https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Renown_Heart#Repeatable_renown_hearts"), then I log in to see a smidgen of progress on a nearby heart after reset. Wut?! Is it a 24 hour reset? I know I've passed repeatable hearts that I'd gained progress in previous days but it was back to zero... >_< I blame bugs, yes that's it of course :sweat_smile:

Anyways, remember how ANet made a patch to make the HoT maps more accessible some time after release? In general PoF maps are more solo-friendly, but the requirements to complete hearts could probably be scaled down a bit, daily reset of partial progress or no.

> @"Mal.1670" said:

> Oh what the hell I could have sworn that the repeatable hearts reset all progress at daily server reset time [(like it says on the wiki)]("https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Renown_Heart#Repeatable_renown_hearts"), then I log in to see a smidgen of progress on a nearby heart after reset. Wut?! Is it a 24 hour reset? I know I've passed repeatable hearts that I'd gained progress in previous days but it was back to zero... >_< I blame bugs, yes that's it of course :sweat_smile:

>

> Anyways, remember how ANet made a patch to make the HoT maps more accessible some time after release? In general PoF maps are more solo-friendly, but the requirements to complete hearts could probably be scaled down a bit, daily reset of partial progress or no.

Fixed the Wiki; it hadn't yet been updated. (Also, your link does not work.)