Game suggestion: Need additional meta-type events to obtain amalgamated gemstones - pretty please

Gayle.1807

I'm trying to craft a legendary weapon. Mats .... keep me extremely busy in the game. Amalgamated Gemstones are now problematical (and I need 250). There are four methods to obtain them...1) HoT meta events; 2) WvW reward track; 3) Mystic forge, and 4) buy off BLT.

The last two methods are particularly expensive. To use the mystic forge I end up paying around 1 gold per gemstone. It takes 75 gems (varying types) to make 10 (or 25 if I get extremely lucky). Buying off BLT is even more expensive - 1.75 to 2 gold each. Both of those options are extremely expensive. And, the WvW reward track helps, but that doesn't provide enough amalgamated gemstones to make a significant difference.

The only other method is successful participation in HoT meta events. To get 250 amalgamated gemstones I have to hustle my little toons feet (or paws) to as many HoT metas as I can. If, life is kind to me, I can get to four metas per day. If I do that it will take 2 months to get all the amalgamated gemstones. However, there seems to be few meta's going on now. I do everything I can think of to find an active meta map ... including LFG and arriving 15-30 minutes prior to the meta. Tonight I couldn't find an active TD map. The DS event I attempted was failing from the start. DS metas take so much time that maps that don't look that they have a reasonable chance of succeeding. Please bear in mind, I rarely leave an organized maps - I hang in the vast majority of times (I'm not a quitter!!).

I wish GW2 have other means of getting the amalgamated gemstones. I'm willing to put the work in, but HoT doesn't look like a viable source for getting the amalgamated gemstones. Perhaps they can be an added reward in other game metas (Triple Trouble, Tequatl, etc.).

> @"Gayle.1807" said:

> I'm trying to craft a legendary weapon. Mats .... keep me extremely busy in the game. Amalgamated Gemstones are now problematical (and I need 250). There are four methods to obtain them...1) HoT meta events; 2) WvW reward track; 3) Mystic forge, and 4) buy off BLT.

That's a lot of options. If it were easier to obtain them, then they wouldn't be worth much and the reward for doing HoT or reward tracks would be lower. I just look at them as a good sink, like the Icy Runestones. There's a couple of sites that figure out for you how much you save by forging, but it's usually so little that I just put in a buy order for the amount I need, at a price that the market has seen in the last month or so. And then wait. (And pay a little extra if I'm impatient.)

If I have enough orbs, I'll use those. The 10x recipe only requires 25 uses if you get really unlucky.

> @"Gayle.1807" said:

> The last two methods are particularly expensive. To use the mystic forge I end up paying around 1 gold per gemstone. It takes 75 gems (varying types) to make 10 (or 25 if I get extremely lucky). Buying off BLT is even more expensive - 1.75 to 2 gold each.

If that was true, people would craft for 1 gold and sell for 1g 75s - 2g until crafting and purchasing prices are close to each other. The market works in a way that crafting costs little less than buying. You are missing something in your cost calculation for the mystic forge recipes.

A legendary weapon costs as much as it costs, and that depends on material prices. You are actually lucky these days because after PoF, prices for the materials that are needed to craft them dropped significantly. I crafted nevermore maybe 3 months ago for about 3k gold, now it only costs you 2235 gold. I don't think we need more sources for gemstones, there are already several ways to get them. And if they added more sources that cut the costs of gemstones to half, they would just change the recipes so you need 500 of them ^^

Okay, I admit I didn't take the time to actually calculate the exact cost of making the amalgamated gems using the mystic forge. Here is how I calculated the cost of making the gemstones in the mystic forge: it takes 75 gems at around 25silver = 18.75 gold, plus 5 ecto @ 20silver = 1 gold. So, the cost is 19.75 gold. I get 10 amalgamated gems for 19.75 gold...or 1 amalgamated gem for around 2 gold. That is based on current TP sell prices. So, yes, my calculation was incorrect. My material point (pun intended) is the expense of making the amalgamated gems. Another thing to bear in mind is the odds of getting 25 amalgamated gems from the mystic forge is low. I don't have the statistical data, but from experience I've had that happen 3 times....and I've used the mystic forge to make several hundred of the darn things.

I've crafted Nevermore, Chuka/Champaway, and Astralarius. Plus, I've also made Meterlogicus, Kudzu, Quip, and Bifrost. Believe me, I know the effort needed to obtain the materials, gold and achievements for the legendary weapons. My concern is lack of participation in HoT metas is going to raise the cost of amalgamated gems (and their components). Based on the basic principle of economics - supply and demand - the less participation in HoT metas means fewer amalgamated gems will be available. Plus, the introduction of new legendary weapons means there will be a higher demand for the amalgamated gems. So, I see the TP price for them is highly likely to go through the roof. Eventually, GW2 will come up with a solution. I was just pointing out the impact of lack of participation in HoT meta's. I don't think the amalgamated gems should be easy (thereby increasing the quantity required). I was throwing out the idea of making them a reward in the major meta (i.e. Triple Trouble) events outside of HoT .

Okay, all that said...time to farm the 18,000 elder wood logs and 19,000 mithril ore I need to make The Shining Blade. Have fun folks!!

• 1 month later...

I'm going to go ahead and agree with the OP. The gemstones are getting really pricey. Gift of mastery was originally just grindy bits in the form of karma, SP, GoB, and Map. Now for 2nd gen legendaries Gift of Mastery has a TP option. How is that masterful at all? The gemstones are now up to almost 2g a pop. Can we just like make the gemstones more accessible or get rid of them all together and just make fulgurite (with PoF grindy parts as alternative) replace them. :\

I would have added the gemstones to PoF meta events on the heels of carrying over the HoT legendary weapons into PoF. If the weapons had been finished prior to the expansion release I would think differently, but since the last of the weapons are being released with season 4 (pof content) there can be some flexibility in how to acquire them considering where majority of the population is right now.