Account Bound Crafting

Reece.7341

I've been waiting and dying for this to come out, and I hope they do roll account bound crafting out this year. Definitely first world problems, but it is annoying to have all recipes account bound, but have all crafting not, so I have to log out to new characters to craft, or bite the bullet and spend the gold to level up everything else on my new main.

Long story short, I don't see why we don't have account bound crafting as it is so easy to get Lv80 these days that crafting experience really shouldn't be a factor and it would be a huge convenience.

Thoughts?

Are you asking for all characters on each account to be able to have access to the same crafting disciplines?

It certainly would be less trouble for me personally and I'd probably be willing to spend gems to unlock such a feature. However, I doubt it will happen.

* There's a gem shop item to expand disciplines per character from two to three or four.

* It's a significant materials sink.

* There's an existing work-around: the Mistlock Sanctuary pass. Allows you to warp to the crafting stations, do your thing, and boomerang back to your previous location.

Seems like a big cost to ANet with a minor benefit.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Are you asking for all characters on each account to be able to have access to the same crafting disciplines?

>

> It certainly would be less trouble for me personally and I'd probably be willing to spend gems to unlock such a feature. However, I doubt it will happen.

> * There's a gem shop item to expand disciplines per character from two to three or four.

> * It's a significant materials sink.

> * There's an existing work-around: the Mistlock Sanctuary pass. Allows you to warp to the crafting stations, do your thing, and boomerang back to your previous location.

>

> Seems like a big cost to ANet with a minor benefit.

And on top of all this a lot of people do still use crafting as a quick way to level. You can't go from 1-80 just by crafting any more, but it still gives a significant chunk of XP for what they consider a reasonable gold cost. I think there would be a lot of anger if that was taken away. There was enough of a fuss when they made learned recipes account-wide, because some people thought it meant you wouldn't be able to discover recipes another character already knows and therefore wouldn't get the XP.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Are you asking for all characters on each account to be able to have access to the same crafting disciplines?

> >

> > It certainly would be less trouble for me personally and I'd probably be willing to spend gems to unlock such a feature. However, I doubt it will happen.

> > * There's a gem shop item to expand disciplines per character from two to three or four.

> > * It's a significant materials sink.

> > * There's an existing work-around: the Mistlock Sanctuary pass. Allows you to warp to the crafting stations, do your thing, and boomerang back to your previous location.

> >

> > Seems like a big cost to ANet with a minor benefit.

>

> And on top of all this a lot of people do still use crafting as a quick way to level. You can't go from 1-80 just by crafting any more, but it still gives a significant chunk of XP for what they consider a reasonable gold cost. I think there would be a lot of anger if that was taken away. There was enough of a fuss when they made learned recipes account-wide, because some people thought it meant you wouldn't be able to discover recipes another character already knows and therefore wouldn't get the XP.

Right. That wouldn't affect veterans much, since many have huge stockpiles of tomes of knowledge. But it would impact newer players.

I do wonder how many extra crafting license they have actually sold. While that option is out there, it is hard for me to imagine it is a big seller.

Switching characters is not that hard. Since crafting level is not tied to character level (your low level characters can craft ascended items), I'd expect that most people used multiple characters, since you got 4 when the game came out (so enough for all the crafting disciplines). And by the time you probably realized that 'it would be nice if character X could craft these items instead of character Y', you probably don't want to go through the effort of re-leveling the skill.

Adding something like a 'shared crafting license', which when activated, allowed a crafting discipline to be shared among all characters (and starting with whichever character has the highest point) might be something I'd consider buying if the price was reasonable, because that really would be a convenience item. Otherwise, I just swap characters to the one with the needed crafting - even if not in town, the cost to get back to town and back to where they were is pretty minor.

> @"Solvar.7953" said:

> I do wonder how many extra crafting license they have actually sold. While that option is out there, it is hard for me to imagine it is a big seller.

I bought one because I park my characters somewhere helpful and found it tedious to bring them to a city for crafting and then find their way back to a parked spot. I already had a single toon reserved for roaming dailies and refining ascended mats; I wanted one for cooking.

Not long after, ANet added the Mistlock Sanctuary, which is even better: any parked toon can boomerang easily back after crafting, banking, or picking up this or that from the TP.

So I wouldn't buy one now, but at the time it was worth 150g of convenience for me (the gems were bought cheap and the license was on sale).

That said, I can't imagine it's anywhere near as big a seller as any of the other 800 gem+ convenience items.

> Are you asking for all characters on each account to be able to have access to the same crafting disciplines?

>

> It certainly would be less trouble for me personally and I'd probably be willing to spend gems to unlock such a feature. However, I doubt it will happen.

> * There's a gem shop item to expand disciplines per character from two to three or four.

> * It's a significant materials sink.

> * There's an existing work-around: the Mistlock Sanctuary pass. Allows you to warp to the crafting stations, do your thing, and boomerang back to your previous location.

>

> Seems like a big cost to ANet with a minor benefit.

I would shell out gems for this also. I wonder how many crafting licenses they actually sell. I can't image it would be as high as sells to do account wide crafting on all disciplines. At the very least I wish I could use one character to do all my crafting on. I also wish we could get TP deliveries via the crafting stations instead of having to run back and forth between the crafting stations and TP.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > At the very least I wish I could use one character to do all my crafting on.

>

> You can. You can change which craft is active when you please for a small fee (50s for a 500 level craft). You don't lose progress by switching out what crafts you have active

For myself, I have all but cooking mastered across 3 toons. I wish I could have all 8 on one, and just craft what I need where and when I need it. I leveled them all, already, and just would prefer to not have to log out/in when I need to change.. or, at the very least; buy the 4th crafting slot and be able to re-organize all 8 across 2 toons the way I would prefer.

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> I also wish we could get TP deliveries via the crafting stations instead of having to run back and forth between the crafting stations and TP.

I think a lot of people would pay for that. And I think ANet might be tempted, depending on interface issues.

* I believe that all crafting stations in Tyria are proximate to some sort of BLTC access.

* If anything, this might organically increase demand on some mats/pre-fabs, since people might be more liking to choose crafting if it's more convenient.

Worth a thread of its own in my opinion, @"Tekoneiric.6817".

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > Are you asking for all characters on each account to be able to have access to the same crafting disciplines?

> > >

> > > It certainly would be less trouble for me personally and I'd probably be willing to spend gems to unlock such a feature. However, I doubt it will happen.

> > > * There's a gem shop item to expand disciplines per character from two to three or four.

> > > * It's a significant materials sink.

> > > * There's an existing work-around: the Mistlock Sanctuary pass. Allows you to warp to the crafting stations, do your thing, and boomerang back to your previous location.

> > >

> > > Seems like a big cost to ANet with a minor benefit.

> >

> > And on top of all this a lot of people do still use crafting as a quick way to level. You can't go from 1-80 just by crafting any more, but it still gives a significant chunk of XP for what they consider a reasonable gold cost. I think there would be a lot of anger if that was taken away. There was enough of a fuss when they made learned recipes account-wide, because some people thought it meant you wouldn't be able to discover recipes another character already knows and therefore wouldn't get the XP.

>

> Right. That wouldn't affect veterans much, since many have huge stockpiles of tomes of knowledge. But it would impact newer players.

I really can't see it impacting new players much.

It still costs like 50+ gold to simply get 7 levels per craft.

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > It still costs like 50+ gold to simply get 7 levels per craft.

> [Not anymore](http://gw2crafts.net/total.html).

> Total of 151 gold to rank all of the traditional crafts to 400.

>

That's still terrible.

151 gold to get 63 levels.

The level amount is not bad, but... I think leveling even from 1 to 63 I couldn't even get 151 gold like that.

And also "New player" having 151 gold unless they bought from the gem conversion (and in that case I think it would be even cheaper to just buy a level 80 boost) doesn't help.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > It still costs like 50+ gold to simply get 7 levels per craft.

> > [Not anymore](http://gw2crafts.net/total.html).

> > Total of 151 gold to rank all of the traditional crafts to 400.

> >

>

> That's still terrible.

> 151 gold to get 63 levels.

> The level amount is not bad, but... I think leveling even from 1 to 63 I couldn't even get 151 gold like that.

> And also "New player" having 151 gold unless they bought from the gem conversion (and in that case I think it would be even cheaper to just buy a level 80 boost) doesn't help.

My point is that it's not a "no impact" change as suggested above.

Maybe some people like the fact that they can gain levels while ranking up their crafts. Maybe some people convert cash to gems to gold. 151 g to L60-65 (or more likely, for L30-L80) is a lot cheaper than 550 gold for the instant L80 option from the gem shop.

The point is that it will affect some players. Whether that's enough to matter to ANet is another question.

They've done several adjustments to their account/character bound stuff over the past, with ascended items, dyes, etc. I'd hope it would be something that wouldn't require much dev time. Honestly I just like feeling the character I'm playing is 100% completed as a new main and the crafting each discipline to 500 again is pointless as all the crafting cooldowns are account bound. It just makes sense given their current system to have it account bound at this point.

Crafting is already an odd mix of character based skills and account shared attributes. Recipes (that you buy) are learned at the account level (good thing, IMO). Crafting certain ascended materials is limited to 1/day, not 1/character. But then the crafting disciplines themselves are tied to each character. It is sort of a non obvious mix there.

If they make crafting level shared across characters as a purchasable option, I don't see many issues with it. Those people that want to level characters by crafting could still do so (just don't by that option). I'm not sure how you would really undo it - I bought the option, but I want to actually level up this character with crafting.

This certainly is just a convenience item. In some cases, certain characters would still be the one that crafts certain things, just because they would hold the various intermediate items instead of putting them in storage.

> I bought one because I park my characters somewhere helpful and found it tedious to bring them to a city for crafting and then find their way back to a parked spot. I already had a single toon reserved for roaming dailies and refining ascended mats; I wanted one for cooking.

>

> Not long after, ANet added the Mistlock Sanctuary, which is even better: any parked toon can boomerang easily back after crafting, banking, or picking up this or that from the TP.

>

> So I wouldn't buy one now, but at the time it was worth 150g of convenience for me (the gems were bought cheap and the license was on sale).

>

> That said, I can't imagine it's anywhere near as big a seller as any of the other 800 gem+ convenience items.

Wait, so the ACL lets you have up to 4 active at the same time on all characters? As in, no more need to go to the respective npc's to swap between disciplines just hit up the different crafting stations as you like? Or does it allow you to just have 4 but you still need to swap them around to be active? I ask because I ended up getting a couple when they were per character a few years ago but I currently still need to see an npc to swap them. For example I have jeweler 400, Armorsmith 500, and weaponsmithing at 75 or something. The active ones are Armor/Jewel and i'd need to swap one out with weaponsmith for it to be active. Is it different now? Cuz if it is, I may need to contact support and ask them what I can do to get it fixed for myself.

> @"Tanuk.7961" said:

>

> > I bought one because I park my characters somewhere helpful and found it tedious to bring them to a city for crafting and then find their way back to a parked spot. I already had a single toon reserved for roaming dailies and refining ascended mats; I wanted one for cooking.

> >

> > Not long after, ANet added the Mistlock Sanctuary, which is even better: any parked toon can boomerang easily back after crafting, banking, or picking up this or that from the TP.

> >

> > So I wouldn't buy one now, but at the time it was worth 150g of convenience for me (the gems were bought cheap and the license was on sale).

> >

> > That said, I can't imagine it's anywhere near as big a seller as any of the other 800 gem+ convenience items.

>

> Wait, so the ACL lets you have up to 4 active at the same time on all characters? As in, no more need to go to the respective npc's to swap between disciplines just hit up the different crafting stations as you like? Or does it allow you to just have 4 but you still need to swap them around to be active? I ask because I ended up getting a couple when they were per character a few years ago but I currently still need to see an npc to swap them. For example I have jeweler 400, Armorsmith 500, and weaponsmithing at 75 or something. The active ones are Armor/Jewel and i'd need to swap one out with weaponsmith for it to be active. Is it different now? Cuz if it is, I may need to contact support and ask them what I can do to get it fixed for myself.

>

>

They let you have up to 4 open, no swapping necessary. So for instance you can have all three armor crafting and say cooking on one character, and all 3 weapon crafting and jeweler on another.

Yeah, I better contact support then to see if the ones I got a long time ago are grandfathered into that, or if I would indeed need to get the new ones. Since I only really do crafting on a few of the characters it would be more convenient for me to just have 2 of them so I don't have to try to remember who has which discipline on them.

> @"Tanuk.7961" said:

> Yeah, I better contact support then to see if the ones I got a long time ago are grandfathered into that, or if I would indeed need to get the new ones. Since I only really do crafting on a few of the characters it would be more convenient for me to just have 2 of them so I don't have to try to remember who has which discipline on them.

Talk to the NPCs. I suspect you just have to pay the 40-50s fee once to reactivate. The game probably has no way of knowing that you added a license after deactivation, but it always remembers what your character learned.

The additional crafting license literally just removes the need to go to the crafting vendor and swap crafting disciplines. It has no bearing over how many you can learn. I have a single character with all disciplines at 500/400, and it takes two clicks to swap to a new discipline and the vendor is always standing next to you... to me the crafting licenses aren't worth it at all.

That's why I don't understand why they don't have it to be account bound when every other aspect of crafting (other than your crafting level) is.

No brainer to me and I would love to not have to log onto alternate character(s) to craft. Especially when making legendaries.

with tomes and writs being an almost everyday reward, i don't see why ppl worry about crafting leveling.

better yet, new players don't have the gold nor the materials to craft anything until later in the game, in the time they can craft anything they are already around level 20. (and might already sitting on a tome and some writs)