Mounts. How gamechanging do you think they'll be?

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> imo gliding was a gamechanging update to the game and I'm thinking mounts will be the same. All the maps are going to feel smaller but in return all those who haven't gotten alts out to get waypoints will be able to get them much easier. In events like Tequatl I'm expecting to see hordes of mounts when running back from the battery defenses and the another horde running around when the Karka Queen spawns. I'm expecting to see mounts in HoT when running through or to events. Having mounts with speed buff, the ability to leap gaps and leap up is going to change how people feel about those maps and how fast they can get to events. There's always the possibility that ANet will add mounts to WvW to territories the players have captured. What changes do y'all think mounts will bring to PvE and do you think they should be added to WvW?

>

> Edit. And the changes to weapons used (weapons that give a speed boost), traits, sigils and runes. All speed boosts will be affected by mounts.

I find there are several issue with mounts that might have been fix, but seeing as you have to dismount when ever interacting with an object I dont think you will be mounted for that long. I could be wrong I see people using mounts to get to different points on the map, but I don't see them being that game changing really. I could be wrong we have not see all the different mounts or how useful they will be outside the demo so I'll hold my finally judgments for tomorrow. However, I did not find mounts to be all that faster than running.

> @xXMapcoXx.9614 said:

> [...] However, I did not find mounts to be all that faster than running.

They have been estimated to move 100% faster than players. And they do not slow down in combat. In comparison, out of combat players can move at 33% speed at most.

But since the camera gets higher, and the overall model is bigger, they may not seem like moving that fast.

But try to race a Dash daredevil land they will eat your dust.

> @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> > @xXMapcoXx.9614 said:

> > [...] However, I did not find mounts to be all that faster than running.

>

> They have been estimated to move 100% faster than players. And they do not slow down in combat. In comparison, out of combat players can move at 33% speed at most.

>

> But since the camera gets higher, and the overall model is bigger, they may not seem like moving that fast.

>

> But try to race a Dash daredevil land they will eat your dust.

100% seems a bit much. I compared running under Swiftness with running on a Mount and it was definately faster (thank god) but not from 33% to 100%. I did a timed run and it was more like 45% or so. WHich is still a huge improvement in my book. But the best thing is indeed that they do not seem to slow down when you run past mobs that get a hit in. Though I am not entirely sure of this. I know Mounts have their own HP but can they be crippled for instance?

> @CharterforGw.3149 said:

> I wonder if they will eventualy add the mounts to the core zones. it will require more resources to implement than gliding in most cases, since you shouldn't be able to get to unreachable places with the mounts

They said mounts will be useable outside of the PoF maps. They'll probably fix any map breakout problems as they arise.

I also can't wait to get rid of my perma swiftness runes, focus and all that bs on my builds bc traveling speed is important. screw you swiftness! LOL. Also can't wait to see a zerg in wvw like a stampede of mounts loooll but don't forget, mount health is limited so as soon as you get hit once or a few times you'd probably be dismounted, alot of things hit harder with 5000 or 10k damage even in pve. So it might not help traveling that much say in HoT with clumps of enemies like snipers and frog thieves even if you're fast

> @Tyncale.1629 said:

> [...] I know Mounts have their own HP but can they be crippled for instance?

They are not immune to snare conditions, but they are immune to their effects. Like enemies with a locked defiance bar. While mounted, these conditions are still applied to you riding your mount, but they will get a gray background and have no effect.

Excuse the question, but has it been confirmed already that mounts will also be available for use outside of PoF?

As for gliding, I am still thinking "Bummer!" on several occasions when gliding through core Tyria and either bumping against an invisible wall or, worse, get stuck somewhere without a possible means of escape other than using a waypoint.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> imo gliding was a gamechanging update to the game and I'm thinking mounts will be the same. All the maps are going to feel smaller but in return all those who haven't gotten alts out to get waypoints will be able to get them much easier. In events like Tequatl I'm expecting to see hordes of mounts when running back from the battery defenses and the another horde running around when the Karka Queen spawns. I'm expecting to see mounts in HoT when running through or to events. Having mounts with speed buff, the ability to leap gaps and leap up is going to change how people feel about those maps and how fast they can get to events. There's always the possibility that ANet will add mounts to WvW to territories the players have captured. What changes do y'all think mounts will bring to PvE and do you think they should be added to WvW?

>

> Edit. And the changes to weapons used (weapons that give a speed boost), traits, sigils and runes. All speed boosts will be affected by mounts.

IMO all aspect related to exploring and travelling through the maps will suffer a great impact from the mounts general speed boon. Perma-swiftness builds are likely to dessapear in most areas. Battle focused builds will be the only reasonable ones to make, wiping away quite a lot of interesting choices and gameplay styles.

However, I recognize that I was expecting a MUCH, MUCH WORSE situation. The actual design of the mounts's movement is far superior to what I believed could be done, and it even leave some areas where perma-swiftness, speed sharing and movement skills could have superior precision (and therefore, be used) than simply jumping on the new "horsies".

So. How game-changing do I think mounts will be? Much less game-changing than I was expecting, much more than I wanted.

> @PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

> Gliding in core Tyria maps was both subtle and helped breath life into those maps. I don't think mounts will have the same effect. They have a purpose on those new maps in PoF, but they really don't belong on core maps.

Well, I disagree about the second part of your post. Even with all the waypoints in Tyria there is still too much running imo, especially when you are heading to an event and off course the closest waypoint to that event is unavailable. :) Good example would be the run to that Centaur Boss in Harathi Hinterlands. And then there are those HoT maps where you can not walk 10 yards without bumping into mobs that love to cripple you which is one of the things I really dislike about the game. I know you can maneuver smartly to avoid this mostly but to me that always felt like a chore, even with speed runes, specific Traits, dodges, cleanses and what not.

I am so going to enjoy running through a pack of mini raptors or outrun the attacks of a Bristleback or make a big nose to those steamroller mobs, who will only see my heels. Well, my Raptors heels. :) Oh, and those Vines....

Definately agree with the first part of your post though.

> @Tyncale.1629 said:

> 100% seems a bit much.

Unless they changed it from the beta weekend, I used the available positional data to calculate the speed, which was slightly more than double the normal out of combat run speed, which is about 293in/s. To confirm, I also calculated swiftness, which was the expected 33%, while super speed was only 36% due to the movement speed cap. Also, gliding is the same as running and lean gliding is the same as swiftness, when only comparing the horizontal speed.

> @Ashantara.8731 said:

> Excuse the question, but has it been confirmed already that mounts will also be available for use outside of PoF?

It was confirmed the day they revealed them,