Suggestion for teaching the playerbase/improving match quality

Gandarel.5091

So PvP doesn't really have a tutorial right now and people are still making the same mistakes that were common 5 years ago. I have a suggestion: whenever someone hits the ranked button a question pops up, and they have to give the correct answer in order to enter the queue.

If the answer is incorrect, they get 30 seconds of non-stacking dishonor. 30 seconds is big enough to discourage spamming random answers, but not long enough to cause serious frustration.

**Questions could range from easy to hard, point is people would actually pick up some knowledge with every match they play.**

**Example1:** When does Meditation of Tranquility (aka lower buff) spawn the second time on the map Temple of the Silent Storm?

**A)** 3:30 on the timer **B )** 2:30 on the timer **C)** 1:30 on the timer

Correct answer is B, obviously, but even now I see so many people who are not used to longer matches on the map and simply aren't paying attention to the second spawn of the buff or may not know it even exists.

**Example2:** You've lost a duel 3 times in a row against the same enemy who's holding the point. You respawn, what do you do?

**A)** Go elsewhere. **B )** I'm feeling lucky, YOLO **C)** I'll went my frustration and flame my team

A is obviously currect, but I think we all know this is the least common thing people do in soloQ out of the 3. This question makes those players basically call themselves out on it by giving an answer they weren't following.

**Example3:** Are you playing a build you'd be happy to have on your team?

**A)** Yes **B )** No..

Again, A. Everyone's going to pick A because they know it's correct! But this question isn't designed to keep people out, just to make them view their actions through someone else's POV. I'm not saying everyone should play the meta, but hopefully this makes people have a little more respect towards others and cut down on the number of people playing stuff akin to Rampager Staff glyph ele.

I could write many more but you get the point. What do you think?

> @ThePlayMaker.1058 said:

> Uhhh no. Nobody wants to do a questionnaire to play a match of pvp. That would kill the already poor population we have.

If someone can't answer or google when lower buff spawns on Temple in 2017 he shouldn't be allowed to enter ranked, wouldn't you agree?

A tutorial is long overdue but it's something new players just blaze through without learning a damn thing. This could actually TEACH people constantly.

BUT if devs don't want to bar people from entering ranked then I suggest a change to how it works: they que, question pops, people can enter regardless of the answer but the correct answer will give 1 extra pip at the end of the match.

> @NotASmurf.1725 said:

> > @ThePlayMaker.1058 said:

> > Uhhh no. Nobody wants to do a questionnaire to play a match of pvp. That would kill the already poor population we have.

>

> If someone can't answer or google when lower buff spawns on Temple in 2017 he shouldn't be allowed to enter ranked, wouldn't you agree?

>

> A tutorial is long overdue but it's something new players just blaze through without learning a kitten thing. This could actually TEACH people constantly.

>

> BUT if devs don't want to bar people from entering ranked then I suggest a change to how it works: they que, question pops, people can enter regardless of the answer but the correct answer will give 1 extra pip at the end of the match.

Not knowing the exact timing of a map mechanic shouldn't disqualify you from being able to play ranked at all. Ranked is supposed to be designed with the intent that better players are higher ranked and play against each other and lower ranks are worse players and play against each other. The problem isn't that Anet is allowing what you deem to be inferior players into ranked. The problem is those players are getting matched with higher caliber players.

How about not allowing people to play ranked before X games of unranked? Got matched with somebody playing PvP for the very first time in some random leveling spec and asking map instructions after the gates had opened. Just WHY?? How can this be allowed? You waste my time and ruin the new player's experience who is probably not coming back to PvP any time soon after being farmed a few dozen times.

> @Cosbuster.4379 said:

> How about not allowing people to play ranked before X games of unranked? Got matched with somebody playing PvP for the very first time in some random leveling spec and asking map instructions after the gates had opened. Just WHY?? How can this be allowed? You waste my time and ruin the new player's experience who is probably not coming back to PvP any time soon after being farmed a few dozen times.

This player is a troll. There is a minimum PvP Rank (20) required before you're allowed to play Ranked.

I feel most of what players know is to 'hold points' and that is that. But every map has something than can give a better informed team a big advantage. I've lost count of Capricorns lost because team would rather stay and defend points, while giving the enemy team 150 free points for the duration of the match, sitting in circle while Skyhammer rained down on them, then get frustrated they don't get resed or situations where you are having all 3 points in Temple and your team confidently says to stay to defend them, while the enemy gets all 3 instantly with one commune.

> @FrozenStarRo.7240 said:

> I feel most of what players know is to 'hold points' and that is that. But every map has something than can give a better informed team a big advantage. I've lost count of Capricorns lost because team would rather stay and defend points, while giving the enemy team 150 free points for the duration of the match, sitting in circle while Skyhammer rained down on them, then get frustrated they don't get resed or situations where you are having all 3 points in Temple and your team confidently says to stay to defend them, while the enemy gets all 3 instantly with one commune.

Hah, I actually had a map where our team lost the fight for tranquility and so the enemy team capped all three points. Our thief yelled at us "you let them cap all three!?!?!" like he thought we had just lost all three points normally.

Guess who was absent during that big brawl under the mountain?

Oh well. I think there is a bit of a flaw to the current match making system that puts players of too varying skill or MMR together on same or opposing teams. This should even out over the long run (and I think it does) but it makes for a lot of frustrating games that feel lopsided. Match quality seems to be a real issue but not sure if that is just this season or if its always been the case.

That's an intersting idea about the quiz and it would maybe even make some people do some research on the questions. And that's always a plus. But I remember someone had an idea on the old forum that when you start playing PvP you have only one reward track (and all others are locked until after you finished this one) and you can't finish it with PvP exp points but you every reward is somehow connected to one of the PvP maps, e.g. first few rewards are gained for capping/decapping/defending points, then later rewards for killing Svanir/Chieftain, for using trebuchet in Khylo.... And that would force people to get acquianted with secondary map mechanics. And I think that would be a good way to introduce people to how PvP works.

this has been suggested many more times.

the rank requirement would be an decent start if rank farming weren't allowed, that's why Cosbuster encountered a player who had no idea what to do besides bieng rank 20 in pvp. nobody learns on having people just stand on a node and wait for the timer to end.

Secondly there is indeed need of a proper turtorial but i doubt it will be implemented soon if at all.

a good tutorial is to make ppl try unranked first before entering ranked

first match - you have to play and decap 3 times, kill 10.

second match - you have to heal above 300k, best guard or contest a point

third match - you have to be the best dmg dealer above 300k

this way ppl will learn few classes mechanism and role.

> @messiah.1908 said:

> a good tutorial is to make ppl try unranked first before entering ranked

> first match - you have to play and decap 3 times, kill 10.

> second match - you have to heal above 300k, best guard or contest a point

> third match - you have to be the best dmg dealer above 300k

> this way ppl will learn few classes mechanism and role.

I mean... this just sounds terrible. Like, you are trying to force new players into bad habits by punishing them for not accumulating stats. Stats at end of the game are not as important as you seem to think.

A good tutorial is to make players play unranked first, check. Agreed on that count. That's why they need pvp rank 20. Most new players aren't rank farming in custom arenas.

Decap 3 times. So, rolling over your opposing team to the point where they never cap home or mid is a bad thing in this scenario? I have been in plenty of games where one side or the other didn't need to decap 3 points. Or, if they did, only a high mobility class was doing so because the rest were doing their job holding points. But I guess most players would be able to accomplish this easily enough. Of course, now you are pushing them to rush from point to point instead of doing so tactically

Heal 300k... so support build is required? I haven't played every meta build of every class but I am fairly sure there are a lot of classes that would struggle to hit 300k healing in most matches (I've had plenty of games, wins and losses, where I was top healer at 170k or so, sometimes almost 40% of the team's healing).

Damage highest damage and over 300k - well, this is probably the easiest but, again, I guess we're punishing mobile classes for doing their job. And if you are tackling this objective you probably want to avoid that support build. Hope you don't have competent teammates whom are just stronger burst builds/classes than you.

And end of the day, accomplishing this means very little. I've had a game where I hit 790k damage on my scrapper. Game after that I hit like 160k and was 17% of my team's damage. I am not good at scrapper. Game flow has more to do with damage and healing numbers than skill. And sometimes doing your job means your damage or healing is garbage.

> @Cosbuster.4379 said:

> How about not allowing people to play ranked before X games of unranked? Got matched with somebody playing PvP for the very first time in some random leveling spec and asking map instructions after the gates had opened. Just WHY?? How can this be allowed? You waste my time and ruin the new player's experience who is probably not coming back to PvP any time soon after being farmed a few dozen times.

I don't know who thumbs downed you but exactly this. At the very least disable ranked PvP during League seasons for new players.

Archived