• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:

> @"closedsocket.1876" & @"Roelski.2697"

>

> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-friendships/

>

> All month there will be stuff.

So far its been underwhelming. A contest that only those who follow the website/social-media platforms follow will see. And an item you can annoy your friends with.

(based off that harpy thing no doubt)

Hopefully you plan to ramp things up.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"DBZVelena.5186"

Sorry you feel this way but stay tuned all month and hopefully you will see the value.

Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube or directly on the GW2 website). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

> @"DBZVelena.5186"

>

> Sorry you feel this way but stay tuned all month and hopefully you will see the value.

>

> Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube or directly on the GW2 website). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

My point is mostly 2 things.

1: you're trying to sell the game to the people who already play. People who don't play gw2 are not going to care about a hashtag filled with the gw2 community.

2: a large part of gw2 doesn't look at any of the social media channels the game has. So won't know of the contest. Or if they do hear about it, wont be inclined very much to participate.

I understood the thing about the rules of the contest (or lack there of on certain social media platforms) just fine, the news page is clear enough in informing people who can read english.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"DBZVelena.5186" said:

> 2: a large part of gw2 doesn't look at any of the social media channels the game has. So won't know of the contest. Or if they do hear about it, wont be inclined very much to participate.

>

> I understood the thing about the rules of the contest (or lack there of on certain social media platforms) just fine, the news page is clear enough in informing people who can read english.

A point on that: Since it's on our news page, it's in the RSS feed and in the GW2 game launcher. It'll show up for players in their chosen language when they launch the game client. We'll be sharing the information via email as well.

A wider point on marketing in general: We're all super excited about this event. Like I said earlier today, the community of Guild Wars 2 is a huge part of its appeal. So many players have stories of real relationships formed in the game--I have a several of my own (Hi guildies! <3 ) -- that showcasing those stories is something we are **proud** to do. Rounding up these stories and sharing them with the world is a privilege--it would be great if you'd share in that privilege with us. We've had a lot of fun planning it and February is going to continue to be a really good time. Join us!

We have other things in the works too. At the end of February we will not be packing up our desks and going home. They're gonna keep letting us come to work , which is pretty great. So keep watching, and I hope you'll be a part of this journey. It's a pretty great one. <3

> @"DBZVelena.5186"

>

> Sorry you feel this way but stay tuned all month and hopefully you will see the value.

>

> Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube or directly on the GW2 website). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

I didn't see anything about sharing your story on the GW2 website; did you mean somewhere on the forums, or....where?

OK, just watched the archived video... Well... Kinda underwhelming... I appreciate the sentiment, and i like the idea. Won't participate, because honestly i carried over a lot of my guild mates form other games. There's a few that i picked up in GW2, that i actually now play other stuff with because they quit GW2. But no amazing love stories or anything :sweat_smile:

Couple things i got from Guild Chat... There's a lot more easter eggs than i realized :smiley:

Connor is boss (apparently he did every one of the things i enjoyed the most in the story), "Here's a Crazy idea" apparently is a game-changer in Arena Studios, and MO actually was way more involved than i imagined.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:

> > @"DBZVelena.5186"

> >

> > Sorry you feel this way but stay tuned all month and hopefully you will see the value.

> >

> > Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube or directly on the GW2 website). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

>

> I didn't see anything about sharing your story on the GW2 website; did you mean somewhere on the forums, or....where?

I think he meant during the contest, I specifically remember them saying they were going to share some of the stories with the community on the website...of course that was several hours ago now so I could be having a hazy recollection. What I don't remember them saying was that it would include those friendships from way back in the original Guild Wars...though it sounds like that is included as well if I'm interpreting the post by Silbs correctly.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:

> > > @"DBZVelena.5186"

> > >

> > > Sorry you feel this way but stay tuned all month and hopefully you will see the value.

> > >

> > > Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube or directly on the GW2 website). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

> >

> > I didn't see anything about sharing your story on the GW2 website; did you mean somewhere on the forums, or....where?

>

> I think he meant during the contest, I specifically remember them saying they were going to share some of the stories with the community on the website...of course that was several hours ago now so I could be having a hazy recollection.

I know they plan to share the stories on the website; it's stated in the blog. What I was wondering about was the statement above that says players should share their story using hashtags on "your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube or _directly on the GW2 website_). Where on the GW2 website?

> @"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:

> > @"DBZVelena.5186" said:

>

> > 2: a large part of gw2 doesn't look at any of the social media channels the game has. So won't know of the contest. Or if they do hear about it, wont be inclined very much to participate.

> >

> > I understood the thing about the rules of the contest (or lack there of on certain social media platforms) just fine, the news page is clear enough in informing people who can read english.

>

> A point on that: Since it's on our news page, it's in the RSS feed and in the GW2 game launcher. It'll show up for players in their chosen language when they launch the game client. We'll be sharing the information via email as well.

>

> A wider point on marketing in general: We're all super excited about this event. Like I said earlier today, the community of Guild Wars 2 is a huge part of its appeal. So many players have stories of real relationships formed in the game--I have a several of my own (Hi guildies! <3 ) -- that showcasing those stories is something we are **proud** to do. Rounding up these stories and sharing them with the world is a privilege--it would be great if you'd share in that privilege with us. We've had a lot of fun planning it and February is going to continue to be a really good time. Join us!

>

> We have other things in the works too. At the end of February we will not be packing up our desks and going home. They're gonna keep letting us come to work , which is pretty great. So keep watching, and I hope you'll be a part of this journey. It's a pretty great one. <3

If you think people actually read the news in the game launcher... I hate to disappoint you but most player go from log in right in to character select so fast, they barely see the headlines never mind what its about. (And will think its about ships because of the news title header)

Don't get me wrong, i look forward to what you guys have planned. I'm very much a fan. But new players don't join a game for its community. They join a game because it looks cool, fun, rewarding, engaging, competitive ect. New players STAY because the community. But no player is going to believe how awesome GW2's community REALLY is, until they experience it for them selves. This is simply because ALL games claim it, but few actually make true the promise. And if you're looking for a new game to play you have a hard time, seeing the gems between the shiny rocks.

This is why i rather see professionally made GW2 ads aimed at new players showing off all the cool stuff gw2 has now. How its definitely not a "dead game", like some people think. Than hundreds of pictures of strangers/art/screenshots, that to an outsider are meaningless.

Also i'm looking forward to Lunar-festival :+1:

> @"DBZVelena.5186" said:

> > @"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:

> > > @"DBZVelena.5186" said:

> >

> > > 2: a large part of gw2 doesn't look at any of the social media channels the game has. So won't know of the contest. Or if they do hear about it, wont be inclined very much to participate.

> > >

> > > I understood the thing about the rules of the contest (or lack there of on certain social media platforms) just fine, the news page is clear enough in informing people who can read english.

> >

> > A point on that: Since it's on our news page, it's in the RSS feed and in the GW2 game launcher. It'll show up for players in their chosen language when they launch the game client. We'll be sharing the information via email as well.

> >

> > A wider point on marketing in general: We're all super excited about this event. Like I said earlier today, the community of Guild Wars 2 is a huge part of its appeal. So many players have stories of real relationships formed in the game--I have a several of my own (Hi guildies! <3 ) -- that showcasing those stories is something we are **proud** to do. Rounding up these stories and sharing them with the world is a privilege--it would be great if you'd share in that privilege with us. We've had a lot of fun planning it and February is going to continue to be a really good time. Join us!

> >

> > We have other things in the works too. At the end of February we will not be packing up our desks and going home. They're gonna keep letting us come to work , which is pretty great. So keep watching, and I hope you'll be a part of this journey. It's a pretty great one. <3

>

> If you think people actually read the news in the game launcher... I hate to disappoint you but most player go from log in right in to character select so fast, they barely see the headlines never mind what its about. (And will think its about ships because of the news title header)

>

> Don't get me wrong, i look forward to what you guys have planned. I'm very much a fan. But new players don't join a game for its community. They join a game because it looks cool, fun, rewarding, engaging, competitive ect. New players STAY because the community. But no player is going to believe how awesome GW2's community REALLY is, until they experience it for them selves. This is simply because ALL games claim it, but few actually make true the promise. And if you're looking for a new game to play you have a hard time, seeing the gems between the shiny rocks.

>

> This is why i rather see professionally made GW2 ads aimed at new players showing off all the cool stuff gw2 has now. How its definitely not a "dead game", like some people think. Than hundreds of pictures of strangers/art/screenshots, that to an outsider are meaningless.

>

> Also i'm looking forward to Lunar-festival :+1:

They likely have metrics of number of clicks linking from launcher to news sites - it's not an uncommon thing to monitor. I know I use the launcher and a few people I know only know about things from announcements there.

Whilst I understand what players are saying about advertising etc and was underwhelmed myself by this announcement, I can't say they did anything wrong. It boils down to being a valentines promotion and something a bit more original and modern that what other MMO's do by taking advantage of social media (which is likely bigger than credit is given to). The timing was fine in terms of proximity to Valentines Day, the promotion itself is pretty decent for what it is - even if it doesn't really interest a lot of us, it'll attract enough attention to warrant the existence of it.

I think we will see the sort of things you have suggested, with better ads etc (not those weird things I saw on Twitter recently with meaningless quotes), but perhaps later on.

If I was to be constructive about this first celebration announcement, it was far too low key an idea to launch the month with. We needed something big and exciting to grab everyone so that more eyes would be on the smaller stuff like this. My concern would be, if this is the level/bar set, expectations and viewing figures will be lower next time.

> Have an open mind everyone. There is a method to the madness. You will see as the month progresses.

>

> You will also be getting everything you requested around new ads showing gameplay. All is in the works. :-)

That would be great but the gameplay ads should include combo's and skills used in specific situations and if that was with the help of veteran players would be amazing.

The same thing about sPVP maps some tips and tricks for escaping using teleport skills or Jumping Puzzles to out run a player something like the QQmore.com did many years ago would be amazing too, too bad the advertisement for that site was poor .

> Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube **or directly on the GW2 website**). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

Ahah. That bolded part is not in the news blog, though it is in the official rules. I did not previously look at those rules because the news post only mentions "YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, or Facebook." However, in the rules at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-friendships-sweepstakes-official-rules-north-america/ this is included:

"(f) GuildWars2.com Website:

To receive an Entry, visit the Website and complete the Entry form by entering correct and accurate information and describing or otherwise telling the story of a friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2. "

I would recommend editing the news blog line to include a link to the entry form on the official website. I'd include a link but I'm looking for the darn thing and can't find it. The rules state it exists, can you please say where?

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> > @"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:

> > Also please check the official rules but the only entry requirement is share your story of friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 using the hashtags “#GW2Friendships” and “#GW2Giveaway” on your social channel of choice (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube **or directly on the GW2 website**). Facebook is the only page that requires you to like the GuildWars2 page and create a new post on our Facebook page but on the other social channels this is not required.

>

> Ahah. That bolded part is not in the news blog, though it is in the official rules. I did not previously look at those rules because the news post only mentions "YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, or Facebook." However, in the rules at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-friendships-sweepstakes-official-rules-north-america/ this is included:

>

> "(f) GuildWars2.com Website:

>

> To receive an Entry, visit the Website and complete the Entry form by entering correct and accurate information and describing or otherwise telling the story of a friendship you developed through Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2. "

>

> I would recommend editing the news blog line to include a link to the entry form on the official website. I'd include a link but I'm looking for the darn thing and can't find it. The rules state it exists, can you please say where?

I asked that, as well, earlier in the thread. I can't find where to enter/post on the GW2 website.

> Have an open mind everyone. There is a method to the madness. You will see as the month progresses.

>

> You will also be getting everything you requested around new ads showing gameplay. All is in the works. :-)

I had an idea yesterday for a series of funny video ads for the game. In the first one a couple of hunters are in the wilds of Alaska and a woman in a fancy outfits comes running out of the woods and starts chopping a tree down with a magical axe that comes out of nowhere. Now this next line would be a good effect added to the game. Instead of chopping it down logs come off the mid-section of the tree and it just gets shorter until she gets 3 logs off the now seedling sized tree. She looks at them and says "Sweet sweet loot!" then a griffon appears and she flies off.

The next one would be with the same hunters next to a river but now slightly drunk. A Sylvari male comes running out the woods; a pick appears in his hands and he starts working away at a clump of rocks. After three hits on the rock, a sand jackal appears under him and they sand leap off into the woods parallel to the river. Before they can recover from what they saw, a Charr ridding a skimmer comes from the opposite direction along the river. The Charr stops and says "Did you just see a male Sylvari come thru here?". In shock they point in the direction the Sylvari went and the Charr on the skimmer disappears up the river after him.

The third one is with the same hunters but now drunk and one passed out. An Asura bounds in on a springer which vanishes. The Asura has a bucket of water and dumps on the passed out hunter who wakes up in time to hear the Asura say "Oh! I can't wait to explore this place!" then the springer reappear and they bound off into the woods.

The final one is where the hunters are trying to make their way back to their camp when they hear a rumble of people talking then a Norn on a raptor bounds past them off towards the sounds. The hunters stumble upon a bunch of Norns in their own camp drinking and boasting of their adventures. All the Norns stop talking and look at the hunters when one Norn says "Join us! There is always time for a good old fashion moot!"