World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts on the new system:

**Server pride**

Believe it or not, but there are people in the game who are strongly connected to their server. People who brought guilds on the server together to form a community, who provided web pages, forums, etc. People who are still playing WvW on the same server since day one.

The new system will destroy this connection to a server, will make all that work useless.

Yes, maybe it will be replaced with something like alliance pride. But what is an alliance compared to a server? Something far smaller.

Players who don’t care about which server they are on, on the other hand, will simply exchange “server hopping” for “alliance hopping”.

I think you are punishing the wrong people.

Player toxicity

One benefit of having servers as a reference is that guilds who do not get along with each other had a simple way to avoid all that drama. One guild simply moved to another server, problem solved. World linking was already a step back in this regard, and the alliance system will make things even worse.

**Voice communication**

Nowadays, every server (as far as I can tell) has a dedicated TS, often set up by those “server pride” people who care about their server and its community. They put in a lot of effort to provide all that fancy stuff a good WvW TS needs (multiple channels per map with map-wide whisper lists as well as cross-map whispers, etc.) and that separates modern day WvW from the stone age situation at the game’s release.

World linking added a little extra work for the TS admins on those days when links change, because many server TS only provide access to people of that server and the linked one(s). But still, even on link change resets, every WvW player has a TS server that he can join for reset.

With the alliance system, basically every alliance will need to set up its own TS server, and hopefully on every world there will be at least one alliance that is willing to open up its TS to all players on the world. Otherwise, that world will be put back into stone age WvW for at least 8 weeks. Unless ArenaNet decides to add in-game voice communications (which I don’t believe they’ll do) this will turn the start of every season into an organization nightmare.

**Pressure on casual WvW players**

A lot of guilds have some players who are hard core WvW players, while other players in that guild are more on the casual side but still like to join their guildmates every now and then for some WvW action. Imagine multiple of these guilds forming an alliance, and the alliance reaching its capacity limit. What will you do if other players want to join one of those guilds and play WvW with their guildmates? Or if players returning after some months of absence and want to get back into WvW with their guild? Tell them they cannot do that and send them away? Ask the more casual players in the guild to deselect their main guild and choose another guild for WvW? Ask the guild with the lowest member count or the highest number of casuals to leave the alliance?

**Night capping**

The new system will not improve time zone coverage globally. With the current system, servers can try to find guilds for their server who are more active during the night. With the alliance system, it will be almost impossible to make sure every world has an equal coverage over different daytimes, especially when your pool is limited like in the language specific European servers. If one world has an alliance with a night crew, and the others don’t, guess who’ll win. And the automatic upgrade system just works in favor of the server who already has an advantage.

ArenaNet should first continue improving the scoring system before messing up servers.

**Conclusion**

You claim

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> [...] Simply "blowing up" worlds or removing people from the worlds on which they currently play is high risk [...]

yet blowing up worlds is exactly what this system will do. You only make the chunks a little larger, but you also repeat it every eight weeks.

IMHO the numbers discussed here (500-1000 players per alliance) are far too low to keep communities intact if you consider bonds between guilds as well as inside guilds, while larger alliance sizes would contradict the baseic idea of more granularity for linking people together.

Instead of working on fundamental problems like better scoring and WvW specific balance, you prefer to spend months of work time on a system that will destroy communities (and the massive amount of work some dedicated individuals have invested to build and support those communities) and increase toxicity between players.

What a waste of resources :(

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Klypto.1703" said:

> > @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> > > @"hmsgoddess.3869" said:

> > > I'd like to make a suggestion in regards to alliances and number cap. As a guild leader I am in charge of making alliances that benefits my guild, that said this means I need to know how many of my guild members are choosing my guild as their WvW guild, as you can imagine one larger guilds this is a guild leader nightmare. I need to know how many are choosing my guild as their WvW guild. When the time comes, I do hope that ANET places some sort of UI that guild leaders can see as to whom is selecting their guild as the WvW guild choice. A simple 50/100 have selected this guild for WvW is fine it would at least give guild leaders a base number to foster alliances with. Just my 2 cents.

> >

> > There will be UI to help manage the guild aspects of this change so you'll defiantly be able to see guild members that have picked your guild as their WvW guild.

>

> One issue regarding guilds and this may or may not happen with restructuring but a certain server I am on they basically are toxic to anything except afking inside smc waiting for someone to attack it. That problem being said some of us smaller guilds had to make alt guilds just to have enough claims if this issue persists in the restructuring will we be able to claim objectives outside of the wvw guild we choose? thx

yes, there is currently no plan to change the way claiming works.

**PROBLEM:** Our server's WvW community guild is already full (500 members), and yet I know of some members who are still planning to declare a different guild as their WvW guild. Ideally, such members would leave the community guild to make room for players who will actually commit to that guild for WvW, but I suspect that large numbers will remain.

**SOLUTION A:** I suggest that ArenaNet create a means for guild leaders to designate that their guild is flagged for WvW. Then, after that flag has been set, all uncommitted members would be given ~7 days to designate that guild for WvW, or they would automatically be kicked out.

**SOLUTION B:** If solution A seems too ruthless then perhaps a new WvW-guild marker could be introduced next to each member's name in the guild roster, showing whether or not they've designated that guild for WvW. It could then be left up to the Guild leaders to cull uncommitted members as they see fit.

_**Edit:** Doh!! I've just read a post by Raymond Lukes on the previous page stating that they will be introducing new Guild UI elements along the lines of Solution B above._

> @"brianmiguel.8517" said:

> So will guilds need to kick inactive members in order to not take up alliance slots?

If they're designated as the WvW guild, probably so. Guild Administration should be up to the guild not anet anyways. However, if they're not designated it shouldn't have an affect.

> So will guilds need to kick inactive members in order to not take up alliance slots?

The members need to mark one of their current guilds as WvW guild every 2 months to get counted towards alliance slot for that particular matching. Members that dont mark the guild as the one they chose to go with to a new world, dont count.

No... the only members that will count will be the ones that have the guild flagged as their WvW guild. Anyone who doesn't have a WvW guild indicated for their account won't be counted in the WvW numbers etc.

> @"PabbyGaul.9682" said:

> > @"Bahrain.2468" said:

> > Noooo........ I don't usually post on the forums, though I'm a huge fan and think GW2 is amazing, thanks to an amazing team behind it :)

> >

> > Now someone pleaaaase, get this to Arenanet:

> >

> > # **WvW should change to Faction vs Faction (Meaningful)**

> >

> > Why would I logon to fight against "_Server X_", I'd much rather fight for my faction "The Vigil" vs "The Order of Whispers"! For example....

> > Faction pride and allegiance is important in PvP, ie: "For the Queen !", it doesnt make sense to fight for "Server X"

> > Now with the new system, its even worse, its a randomly generated server, which makes it even less meaningful who I'm fighting for.

> >

> > # **Faction v Faction maps should be UNIQUE and not the current nearly identical copies**

> >

> > Currently we are out there fighting 2 nearly identical maps, which is not that attractive. There's the Alpine and Desert maps, with no background as to WHO actually belongs there? It's just "Server X borderlands". I'd rather be fighting another faction's unique map, with their own objectives. When I roam "Server X borderlands" for 30mins its not nice to travel to the SAME identical enemy "Server Y borderland". We need a meaningful war! The Lannisters vs The Targaryens vs House Stark! Thats a war! When you venture out to The Lannisters area it looks different than House Stark area ;)

> >

> > # **Faction v Faction maps should be a bit larger, in line with PoF encouraging mounted travel and less focus on fast travel**

> >

> > When venturing out, you'd want to venture out a borderland that feels massive in size, and unique in terrain. Think of it like an enemy nation or a faction your venturing into. Encourage solo / group / raid content, to be inclusive for all players. Like Camps/Towers/Keeps.

> >

> > # **Faction that holds the most territory unlocks a bonus dungeon that has rare bosses and rare loot.**

> >

> > Encourage factions to fight for territory to gain more bonuses and access to a special bonus dungeon with amazing loot and dynamic encounters. Otherwise why am I fighting for territory today? (Meaningful)

> >

> > That's it :)

> >

> > One last note:

> >

> > <3 everyone at Arenanet, and to everyone else in the forums, keep it constructive, always :)

>

> kitten. Must be troll post

What troll post? That's my constructive feedback. Your two sentences are more trolling tbh. I've taken the time to write a full post, and you reply with two newb sentences. Pffft

My cynical side sees this restructuring as a lucrative means of earning gems from players transferring to stay with their friends. I can't think of any other reason to cap the alliance size at a mere 500.

We are told that the WvW player population averages 2000 - 2500 per server. My above-average server's WvW population is easily double that which means that only ~15% of us will be able to stay together. The other 85% will either accept their relocations or pay a fee to transfer and, if there's space, remain with friends they've run with for 6 years.

Of course, there will always remain that 3rd option of moving on entirely from Guild Wars 2. :'(

> @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > @"kafka.1657" said:

> > players transferring to stay with their friends. I can't think of any other reason to cap the alliance size at a mere 500.

>

> Possibly, but realistically, 500 friends?

lol :)

No, the transferring player is not necessarily friends with all 500 alliance members. However, breaking up a large long-standing community into _at least_ 5 or 6 separate alliances will force many players to buy transfers.

> @"kafka.1657" said:

> > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > @"kafka.1657" said:

> > > players transferring to stay with their friends. I can't think of any other reason to cap the alliance size at a mere 500.

> >

> > Possibly, but realistically, 500 friends?

>

> lol :)

>

> No, the transferring player is not necessarily friends with all 500 alliance members. However, breaking up a large long-standing community into _at least_ 5 or 6 separate alliances will force many players to buy transfers.

>

OR, maybe they can make do with a couple hundred of their closest friends and make some new ones too. Why would they have to buy transfers to a world that may be full anyway for an 8-week period?

A problem (and an opportunity) I see with this new system is accessibility.

I’m in a guild with ca. 400 members of which 10% – 20% actively play WvW. As it is now, if one of our guild members wants to get started with WvW the natural approach is to join one of our guild raids if they are on the same (or a linked) server, else they have to get help from somewhere else or their interest just fizzles out (usually the later).

With the new system a thing I’d like to see is an opportunity for starting (and maybe returning) players to cheaply (ideally for free) join their guild mates.

Conditions could be some or all of these:

Transfer is free if

- had no transfer in the current season

- played no more than 10 hours in the last season

- played no more than 10 hours in the current season

- WvW-Rank is no more than 149

> @"Macilien.3078" said:

> A problem (and an opportunity) I see with this new system is accessibility.

>

> I’m in a guild with ca. 400 members of which 10% – 20% actively play WvW. As it is now, if one of our guild members wants to get started with WvW the natural approach is to join one of our guild raids if they are on the same (or a linked) server, else they have to get help from somewhere else or their interest just fizzles out (usually the later).

>

> With the new system a thing I’d like to see is an opportunity for starting (and maybe returning) players to cheaply (ideally for free) join their guild mates.

>

> Conditions could be some or all of these:

> Transfer is free if

> - had no transfer in the current season

> - played no more than 10 hours in the last season

> - played no more than 10 hours in the current season

> - WvW-Rank is no more than 149

>

But... It is free :/

Either you:

A) Set the 400 man guild as your WvW guild as is. Everyone will be on the same world, even if people that stopped playing 5 years ago log back on. It's gonna be free to join guild mates (duh, since no one leaves)

B) Trim the fat and create your own alliance. That way you can still be part of a large group if you want to invite several other guilds, while not taking up 400 slots. I am guessing that there will be some extra slots to make sure guilds have some wriggle room (like, if you have a 210 man guild you take up 250 slots). Gonna be free for anyone joining the guild (after the 8 week MMR is over, max 8 weeks wait min 1 week or whatever it is)

C) Leave the guild and make a considerably smaller new WvW guild and join an alliance or roam freely like A). Like B), anyone wanting to join you for free even after the restructure is in place and 8 weeks has started, just join this guild.

It only gonna cost if you are so impatient you need to join right now today in 1 minute. Which as I have said before Anet *knows* people are but still that's how I understand it will work.

Edit: Point "B" didnt quite work out as intended but kitten it, that works too.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Macilien.3078" said:

> > A problem (and an opportunity) I see with this new system is accessibility.

> >

> > I’m in a guild with ca. 400 members of which 10% – 20% actively play WvW. As it is now, if one of our guild members wants to get started with WvW the natural approach is to join one of our guild raids if they are on the same (or a linked) server, else they have to get help from somewhere else or their interest just fizzles out (usually the later).

> >

> > With the new system a thing I’d like to see is an opportunity for starting (and maybe returning) players to cheaply (ideally for free) join their guild mates.

> >

> > Conditions could be some or all of these:

> > Transfer is free if

> > - had no transfer in the current season

> > - played no more than 10 hours in the last season

> > - played no more than 10 hours in the current season

> > - WvW-Rank is no more than 149

> >

> But... It is free :/

>

> Either you:

>

> A) Set the 400 man guild as your WvW guild as is. Everyone will be on the same world, even if people that stopped playing 5 years ago log back on. It's gonna be free to join guild mates (duh, since no one leaves)

>

> B) Trim the fat and create your own alliance. That way you can still be part of a large group if you want to invite several other guilds, while not taking up 400 slots. I am guessing that there will be some extra slots to make sure guilds have some wriggle room (like, if you have a 210 man guild you take up 250 slots). Gonna be free for anyone joining the guild (after the 8 week MMR is over, max 8 weeks wait min 1 week or whatever it is)

>

> C) Leave the guild and make a considerably smaller new WvW guild and join an alliance or roam freely like A). Like B), anyone wanting to join you for free even after the restructure is in place and 8 weeks has started, just join this guild.

>

> It only gonna cost if you are so impatient you need to join right now today in 1 minute. Which as I have said before Anet *knows* people are but still that's how I understand it will work.

>

> Edit: Point "B" didnt quite work out as intended but kitten it, that works too.

A: Only those who set their WvW-guild will end up on the same server and it's quite unlikely that people who never (rarely) played WvW will actually set one just in case.

B: We do have a separate guild for our more active WvW-players, but this doesn't help those in the main guild that want to start WvW.

C: What I mean by accessibility is exactly that you don't have to tell people something like: "Great that you want to play WvW, see you in 8 weeks."

By that time people likely will have lost interest.

As I see it these people will have little weight in the balancing algorithm anyway and their placement will be rather arbitrary in that regard, so why make it unnecessarily hard for them?

> @"Euryon.9248" said:

> > @"kafka.1657" said:

> > > @"Chaba.5410" said:

> > > > @"kafka.1657" said:

> > > > players transferring to stay with their friends. I can't think of any other reason to cap the alliance size at a mere 500.

> > >

> > > Possibly, but realistically, 500 friends?

> >

> > lol :)

> >

> > No, the transferring player is not necessarily friends with all 500 alliance members. However, breaking up a large long-standing community into _at least_ 5 or 6 separate alliances will force many players to buy transfers.

> >

>

> OR, maybe they can make do with a couple hundred of their closest friends and make some new ones too. Why would they have to buy transfers to a world that may be full anyway for an 8-week period?

>

I like Guild Wars 2 well enough, but I primarily play for the fun of being with a very active server community that even organizes real-life meet-ups a few times each year. I almost envy you if the restructuring is not affecting your community as it is ours.

Sure, many of those left out of their friends' alliances will likely seek new friends rather than pay a transfer fee. Although, many will just as likely seek a new game while they're at it. ...A game where large thriving communities are supported, or at least allowed to remain intact.

> @"Macilien.3078" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Macilien.3078" said:

> > > A problem (and an opportunity) I see with this new system is accessibility.

> > >

> > > I’m in a guild with ca. 400 members of which 10% – 20% actively play WvW. As it is now, if one of our guild members wants to get started with WvW the natural approach is to join one of our guild raids if they are on the same (or a linked) server, else they have to get help from somewhere else or their interest just fizzles out (usually the later).

> > >

> > > With the new system a thing I’d like to see is an opportunity for starting (and maybe returning) players to cheaply (ideally for free) join their guild mates.

> > >

> > > Conditions could be some or all of these:

> > > Transfer is free if

> > > - had no transfer in the current season

> > > - played no more than 10 hours in the last season

> > > - played no more than 10 hours in the current season

> > > - WvW-Rank is no more than 149

> > >

> > But... It is free :/

> >

> > Either you:

> >

> > A) Set the 400 man guild as your WvW guild as is. Everyone will be on the same world, even if people that stopped playing 5 years ago log back on. It's gonna be free to join guild mates (duh, since no one leaves)

> >

> > B) Trim the fat and create your own alliance. That way you can still be part of a large group if you want to invite several other guilds, while not taking up 400 slots. I am guessing that there will be some extra slots to make sure guilds have some wriggle room (like, if you have a 210 man guild you take up 250 slots). Gonna be free for anyone joining the guild (after the 8 week MMR is over, max 8 weeks wait min 1 week or whatever it is)

> >

> > C) Leave the guild and make a considerably smaller new WvW guild and join an alliance or roam freely like A). Like B), anyone wanting to join you for free even after the restructure is in place and 8 weeks has started, just join this guild.

> >

> > It only gonna cost if you are so impatient you need to join right now today in 1 minute. Which as I have said before Anet *knows* people are but still that's how I understand it will work.

> >

> > Edit: Point "B" didnt quite work out as intended but kitten it, that works too.

>

> A: Only those who set their WvW-guild will end up on the same server and it's quite unlikely that people who never (rarely) played WvW will actually set one just in case.

>

> B: We do have a separate guild for our more active WvW-players, but this doesn't help those in the main guild that want to start WvW.

>

> C: What I mean by accessibility is exactly that you don't have to tell people something like: "Great that you want to play WvW, see you in 8 weeks."

> By that time people likely will have lost interest.

>

> As I see it these people will have little weight in the balancing algorithm anyway and their placement will be rather arbitrary in that regard, so why make it unnecessarily hard for them?

If people loose interest over 8 weeks then what's even the point of arguing? They wont bother playing WvW with you anyway. Also why are you worrying about people not setting their WvW guild due to inactivity? The matchup obviously doesnt matter to them anyway. Either they dont care about where or with who they play or what, they left in 2013 and come in back in 2018 going "omg what is this 8 weeks I cant wait for that long I quit shit game!"?

The question was, is there free transfer. The answer was yes with a delay. Instant would cost. Nothing is made unnecessarily hard on anyone. Well, unless Anet want to introduce a gem cost to joining a guild. Which would be truly evil.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Macilien.3078" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"Macilien.3078" said:

> > > > A problem (and an opportunity) I see with this new system is accessibility.

> > > >

> > > > I’m in a guild with ca. 400 members of which 10% – 20% actively play WvW. As it is now, if one of our guild members wants to get started with WvW the natural approach is to join one of our guild raids if they are on the same (or a linked) server, else they have to get help from somewhere else or their interest just fizzles out (usually the later).

> > > >

> > > > With the new system a thing I’d like to see is an opportunity for starting (and maybe returning) players to cheaply (ideally for free) join their guild mates.

> > > >

> > > > Conditions could be some or all of these:

> > > > Transfer is free if

> > > > - had no transfer in the current season

> > > > - played no more than 10 hours in the last season

> > > > - played no more than 10 hours in the current season

> > > > - WvW-Rank is no more than 149

> > > >

> > > But... It is free :/

> > >

> > > Either you:

> > >

> > > A) Set the 400 man guild as your WvW guild as is. Everyone will be on the same world, even if people that stopped playing 5 years ago log back on. It's gonna be free to join guild mates (duh, since no one leaves)

> > >

> > > B) Trim the fat and create your own alliance. That way you can still be part of a large group if you want to invite several other guilds, while not taking up 400 slots. I am guessing that there will be some extra slots to make sure guilds have some wriggle room (like, if you have a 210 man guild you take up 250 slots). Gonna be free for anyone joining the guild (after the 8 week MMR is over, max 8 weeks wait min 1 week or whatever it is)

> > >

> > > C) Leave the guild and make a considerably smaller new WvW guild and join an alliance or roam freely like A). Like B), anyone wanting to join you for free even after the restructure is in place and 8 weeks has started, just join this guild.

> > >

> > > It only gonna cost if you are so impatient you need to join right now today in 1 minute. Which as I have said before Anet *knows* people are but still that's how I understand it will work.

> > >

> > > Edit: Point "B" didnt quite work out as intended but kitten it, that works too.

> >

> > A: Only those who set their WvW-guild will end up on the same server and it's quite unlikely that people who never (rarely) played WvW will actually set one just in case.

> >

> > B: We do have a separate guild for our more active WvW-players, but this doesn't help those in the main guild that want to start WvW.

> >

> > C: What I mean by accessibility is exactly that you don't have to tell people something like: "Great that you want to play WvW, see you in 8 weeks."

> > By that time people likely will have lost interest.

> >

> > As I see it these people will have little weight in the balancing algorithm anyway and their placement will be rather arbitrary in that regard, so why make it unnecessarily hard for them?

> If people loose interest over 8 weeks then what's even the point of arguing? They wont bother playing WvW with you anyway. Also why are you worrying about people not setting their WvW guild due to inactivity? The matchup obviously doesnt matter to them anyway. Either they dont care about where or with who they play or what, they left in 2013 and come in back in 2018 going "omg what is this 8 weeks I cant wait for that long I quit kitten game!"?

>

> The question was, is there free transfer. The answer was yes with a delay. Instant would cost. Nothing is made unnecessarily hard on anyone. Well, unless Anet want to introduce a gem cost to joining a guild. Which would be truly evil.

>

The problem is simply that it's quite hard to keep someone enthusiastic about a gamemode they can't play (properly) for the duration of 8 weeks.

The question never was whether you can transfer for free, but under which circumstances it should be free and instant and in my eyes getting new players into the gamemode is quite a good reason.