Why are names not being released/Can't create character

Voo.3421

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> Never really had an issue with names, some I made recently have names I was surprised weren't taken yet such as Arcade Warrior (which is my mesmer in SAB gear and fluro colors mixed with a teal poly luminescence)

Nicholas Cage Rage :lol:

"Why am I not in that video game?!"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" I never need more than 2 minutes to find a name. Maybe others can confirm the kick for being idle after character creation.

>

> Wait, what?

> Then why would you write something like this: "Even more frustrating, when **you** eventually find a name after an hour"

Why would I not? I bolded the important word in my quote for you. "You" in my sentence are people who look up names and themes before coming back to character creation to put it in, maybe after an hour and a cup of tea. If I was talking about myself, I would obviously have used "I".

> @"Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921" said:

> Thesaurus is usually a good start. Alt letters can work in a pinch. If you use first and last names usually that opens up a lot names since it's not common to find the same first and last name. You can even get common names by adding a last and sometimes middle name. I have Susan Sto Helit with one alt letter. Got Mythic Kitten with an alt letter. So it's not impossible and you may have to get creative. Even titles and name combinations work.

I like to also use Latin last names. For example, Mortis (death) is my necro's last name.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> Picking names that have no vowels in them usually works also.

> eg mdyyy which I got first time I tried.

> The problem with names is that most people want names that everyone else also wants, so its going to be hard to find one.

>

Very few MMOs ever delete names, because they want the players to come back, and know they wont if their name is gone.

Even WOW which is a sub based game doesnt delete char names.

Personally I find coming up with unique names in GW2 to be easier then a lot of online games I've played so long as you're willing to be a bit creative/willing to compromise. Taking two or three names from a generator and smashing them together in a way that sounds/looks pleasing to you will normally pass pretty easy. Surnames are a good way to get an otherwise typical name through character creation and there are enough combinations of first name/surnames that you're sure to find something that works. For Charr you can just come up with warband name rather then a typical surname. For races that typically don't have surnames like Asura or sometimes Norn I go for titles. Alixxi probably wouldn't have made it through on its own, but I had no trouble with Keeper Alixxi. You can also go for names that aren't really names. My necromancer is called A Peculiar Stranger. I like to rp and part of her character became that she never gives the same name twice when introducing herself so nobody knows what her real name is. It's become a fun thing to play around with.

If you had your heart set on something specific then I imagine it can be frustrating, but there are fun and lore friendly names available you just have to put a bit of work into it.

> @"Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921" said:

> > @"artemis.6781" said:

> > I like to also use Latin last names. For example, Mortis (death) is my necro's last name.

>

> I right there with you. Have a Victoria Vel Nex. ;)

Me three.

I have several character using Latin words in their name. Uncia Snowfur, Ilex Hedera, Vanirar Corvusson and Ambage which is (appropriately) ambiguous; the origin of the word is Latin but the spelling I used is Old English. Oh and Danielle Aurorel - the last name is a combination of aurora and the Quenyan word elen (star).

My favourite though is one of my Elder Scrolls Online characters. He's a retired soldier so naturally I called him Sagittam Ad Genu.

It’s always interesting to hear from someone who can’t get a name after a extensive period of trying. I always wonder what names they are trying as I’ve never had to try more than a couple of times, at most. Since the OP didn’t say my guess is they’re either trying to get an established name from other games, movies, books, etc instead of making an unique, brand new name or they only want short one word names and refuse any variation.

For my recent attempts, I made a Charr and tried a short, 5 letter name. It was taken. I added Irontooth to the end and it went through. I made a human and tried a name. It was taken. I added a last name, Crane, to the end and it went through.

This game’s naming system is flexible enough that there are plenty of unused names available if you're willing to be flexible too and not insist on only one short name with no variations, such as adding a last name or title of your choice.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> It’s always interesting to hear from someone who can’t get a name after a extensive period of trying. I always wonder what names they are trying as I’ve never had to try more than a couple of times, at most. Since the OP didn’t say my guess is they’re either trying to get an established name from other games, movies, books, etc instead of making an unique, brand new name or they only want short one word names and refuse any variation.

>

> For my recent attempts, I made a Charr and tried a short, 5 letter name. It was taken. I added Irontooth to the end and it went through. I made a human and tried a name. It was taken. I added a last name, Crane, to the end and it went through.

>

> This game’s naming system is flexible enough that there are plenty of unused names available if you're willing to be flexible too and not insist on only one short name with no variations, such as adding a last name or title of your choice.

>

>

I was guessing either that or they were trying single first only names, no spaces, and likely common (or even uncommon) names you'd see in a baby naming book. Susan, Heather, Kennedy etc.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> Bob in Accounting was already taken,

I remember meeting "Bob From Accounting" shortly after launch. "Bob In Accounting" must have been on another world.

(which also shows that there are multiple ways to mildly alter a name to make it work)

By the way... I fear we might have scared the OP off. @"Voo.3421" hasn't posted anything since they launched this thread.