Why I Keep Leaving GW2

Jaunty.6018

Sorry, I can't disagree more. The multiple guilds aspect of the game is great for me. I came into the game with a small group. Unfortunately that small group basically all left the game entirely. I'm the only active member left, but because of multiple guilds I have been able to keep the doors open, create my own personal guild for storage purposes, and also join a massive guild for actual activities. I have to think that if your members left you for another guild it has to have more to do with you or your guild as an entity than the other guilds. Especially now that you can communicate with all your guilds without changing reps.

I adore the fact that I can jump into any event, or just help someone and I don't have to feel bad about it. Every other MMO I've played you will absolutely get yelled at if you try jumping in on someone else's fight because they're not conducive to cooperation. There is no reason to have to compete in order to play the game itself. The idea is ludicrous. Competition should only exist in competitive modes.

I've never had issues with inventory managements. Obviously it's harder to begin with because of less space, but that's always true in MMOs.

Level scaling is the single best thing to come to an MMO. I with this existed in every MMO. I love the idea of no zone, no matter how low the level, becoming completely trivial. I do also have to say though, if you can't come back to an area that caused you trouble with full gear and skills and crush everything in your path you may have more issues with the game you might need to deal with.

I would like to be able to have different skills for my weapons, but it's not a deal breaker.

I also main a ranger, I look forward to the expansion that makes a ranger elite that I'm interested in. Soul Beast isn't is, but that's not really important. I have Elites that only use the trait line and none of the skills or weapons. I have elites that use almost everything. The fact that this one doesn't work out for this character doesn't means it's a no go.

I don't know if I like the theme of the new LA, but then, I don't know that I liked the theme of the old one either.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> It's not just for the sake of inconvenience, it's for the sake of _challenge_ and _tension_. Risk and reward.

>

> People say this often about GW2, that it values their time more than other games. After grinding my eyes out to get a legendary weapon, to get ascended gear, to level up masteries just so I can traverse a map with other players, I really don't agree. I think GW2 is one of the grindiest games out there, to be honest.

I think you're exaggerating your point a bit, that or you've never heard of Runescape. I would say Legendaries are grindy, yes, but ascended gear or the rest of your argument, not really. For me, I find plenty of risk vs reward in Ranked PvP. I've been branching out and finding quite a bit of challenge in T4 fractals as well. There are raids if you want the ultimate PvE challenge as well. Setting my progress back just to give me an artificial sense of reward seems ridiculous to me, but then again I'm personally not a fan of games like that.

The thing is, it's an open-ended game where YOU choose what you want to work towards, so it's grindy only if you choose it to be. As a primarily PvP player, I've never had to grind in all my years playing. My goals right now is to get Ascended gear on my other characters, and I'm able to do that through Fractals, PvP, and WvW now, so I'm having a very varied experience while being able to play what I want. I wouldn't call that a grind.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> This is getting very pointless to reply. I don't need to explain why my dissatisfaction is valid. These are real thoughts I've had over the years, as a gamer, as a fan of the original Guild Wars, and as someone who has played countless other MMOs. Apparently I'm not allowed to have opinions. Enjoy your perfect game, everybody.

I have had my own issues and thoughts with the game. I never ever required validation from the forums or from reddit. People are free to have their own opinion on the game, and it does not mean your opinion is invalid.

IE. Personally I think the open ended social system in GW2 is only lacking as much as the player is. Which means for that some days I just run in circles by myself and other days I get a group together for whatever content. The system doesnt force social interaction, but it does enable it. If youre looking for a social experience, then make it one.

> @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> It's funny most of the things that you don't like about the game are strong points for the people that stick around. It's almost as if you're not the intended audience for this particular MMO.

Which is why a lot of people feel betrayed by Anet. How can you make people wait 5 years for a sequel that's being advertised as "everything you loved about the first game and more!" and then completely discard everything about the first game including most of its population and then never address it.

This is why I don't think a GW3 will ever happen, hopefully people are smart enough to realize a GW3 means Anet got tired of the current community and is ready to dump them like they did before.

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> > @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> > It's funny most of the things that you don't like about the game are strong points for the people that stick around. It's almost as if you're not the intended audience for this particular MMO.

>

> Which is why a lot of people feel betrayed by Anet. How can you make people wait 5 years for a sequel that's being advertised as "everything you loved about the first game and more!" and then completely discard everything about the first game including most of its population and then never address it.

>

> This is why I don't think a GW3 will ever happen, hopefully people are smart enough to realize a GW3 means Anet got tired of the current community and is ready to dump them like they did before.

Gw 1was never a mmo it was a multiplayer rpg problem was they made i to a mmo

1. Depends on the guilds people join. I have been in asocial small guilds where i've been the /only/ one who wants to chat and the guilds officers barely say a peep. I've been on social large guilds where people talk often and they became my core group of friends. I've also been in social small guilds where the poeple who talk at all became the core group of friends, and asocial large guilds because they just want members and guild chat is trash I ignore when it's active.

As far as meeting people in open world is, I don't really have enough experience in big mmos to say on that. I think what's more detrimental to that, rather than waypoints, is the fact map chat exists. Relatively few people use /say to ask questions or otherwise inspire conversation because the amount you attract with /map is much larger, and because you're not close to the people you're talking to it's easy to forget after the conversation is done. On that note though - i HAVE made friends in squads, including RIBA/SW farm, hero point trains and bounty trains.

As for downtime - if you spend time in Divinity's Reach, you may know that already exists.

2. I understand wanting competition, i'm competitive myself, but I wouldn't advocate for making the game harsher than it is with rewards. because a). if you've ever done guild bounties, or SW farm legendaries, or treasure mushrooms in DS, you know how hard it already is for people to simply claim credit for the things they do especially when it draws a large crowd. Also, of upwards of 30 people, i don't think anyone cares about dps or having more % healing etc etc. If you want that kind of competition, do raids and t4 cm fractals and look only for pug groups and groups which say 'exp only' or specify needing a specific build for cm fractals - those people will definitely care about those sort of stats. : P. oh and b) I wouldn't want to encourage locking rewards behind a % contribution because i don't want more elitism than already exists.

3. Fair point, but the only issue i have personally, now that we can mass salvage, is that 1. unidentified gear + raw ambrite isn't exempt from it's salvage list (due to being blue, green, yellow and junk teir items), but that doesn't compare in agitation to 2. theres no way to mass delete, sell, or otherwise remove sigils/runes. I think that's a change we can ALL agree on.

4. I personally prefer level scaling in to games that don't have level scaling, otherwise every low level battle becomes boring as hell. That's just personal taste and something gw2 isn't gonna change because there'll be an equally large crowd (probably larger crowd - people who don't like level sclaing simply don't play gw2) who're gonna complain because they like level scaling. including me.

5. Not sure how that's different to any other mmo? Also weapon switch exists for all classes except ele, allowing for some pretty nice combos. Meta game is a whole nother side to this, but meta exists in ALL games- even the ones one might argue to be more creative- so i don't see how meta matters.

6. Don't have to use elite specs weapon. One of the meta weaver builds, among many other elite specs, doesn't use it's elite spec weapon. I also don't really like firebrand axe much to begin with so I don't use it.

7. Entirely subjective, i think old LA looks cheap instead of the grand city that it is now, but that's just me.

All in all - game just probably isn't for you, people like gw2 as it is and you're free to not play it if you don't like it's core mechanics.

I still want to know why OP keeps coming back. Might be my medication, but not sure I've seen that bit yet.

Sometimes I'm playing GW2 every day, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I've taken a little time out, for varying reasons. I always come back because the things I found fun are still there, and I don't have to pay a sub. Sometimes I take a trip to other games, for a month sub, which can impact GW2 time, because I like to make good on the sub. But, GW2's not going anywhere. Perhaps its greatest strength that when you own it, there is no sub and you can do it in your own time, over time (LS Season 1 excluded). Even in what could be considered its "grindiest" of moments (legendaries, ascended), all it needs is your time, and what you choose to do with it. Any pressure is only that which you put on yourself. Even limited BLTP sale items come around again eventually. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the time when I'll not be able to play again (and not really through choice) because I will be _bored_.

OP, do you come back because you think things will be different each time you do? That the things you want to change will have changed? A cursory read-over of these very forums will give you an indicator if so. I very much doubt things will wander so greatly from how they are now given we are six years in and the things you want changed are the same. The only things I will say is the acquire the copper salvage-o-matic for a way to deal with inventory bobbins and I also don't like soulbeast. So, I don't play it. I still like my core ranger too - there should be nothing wrong with that. Did you try druid? I didn't like that either, but eh. It's not a game breaker, not even close. Did you try any other professions? I've been through the lot, and although I'm still favouring maining a reaper necro, I've mained mesmers (long time), rangers (always for a little bit), guardians (smallest bit now and then) before now, and have a smattering of ele, engi and thief to the side. Warrior is boring and revenants don't work for me, but they do for others, because that's how stuff works.

Honestly, I'm concluding this just isn't for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Coming back and expecting all your boxes somehow checked is a bit misguided, however. I hope you do find something for you elsewhere (or already have done so), because this likely isn't it.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"Abakk.9176" said:

> > > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > > > I'm speechless.

> > > > In order to spend the time to put all that into words and by the nature of the title itself, it means you still care enough about the game to play periodically.

> > > > It's not perfect, but it's better than what I could come up with for the price.

> > >

> > > Of course I care! As I stated at the beginning of my post, I'm a long-time fan of the franchise. I've invested a ton of time into these games and I want to see GW2 become something more than what it is, what it has largely been since launch. Part of my playing GW2 as long as I have stems from my feeling of investment. I have a legendary weapon, I've paid over $250 for the game, its expansions, and gems, I've grinded (ground? People need to start saying this) endlessly to fill up my HoM in GW1, in preparation for GW2--and it's the only MMO with lore that I actually kinda care about. But every time I come back to GW2, I get burned out very quickly and usually end up leaving within a month or two, only to come back again a few months to a year later to repeat the process. It has a whole lot to love about it, and if I had listed all these things in my original post, it would have entered the territory of novel writing. I know many of my criticisms will never be addressed, but some definitely could, and I'm sure Anet would like to know the reasons why some players are taking frequent breaks from their game.

> >

> > Sounds to me like someone changing because of getting older. That is quite a common and natural thing to happen.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Or I have legitimate complaints about the game.

Not the way i see it. You point out some stuff you dislike and some stuff you'd like to be added/changed.

Which of your points would you consider to be 'legitimate complaints' instead of ordinairy dislikes? I think a 'legitimate complaint' would have to be something they promised when you bought the game but never delivered on, or something like that.

Still looks to me as a simple case of burnout after years and years of playing.

I've found that cutting back on playtime puts the freshness back in a bit. That or rotating between several different MMO's (or non-game related hobbies).

I found that by picking small goals like hitting the dailies, feeding my converters, and farming my home instance and guild hall are all that I really need to do each day. Anything above and beyond that is optional.

I don't know what your play style is like, but trying to slay dragons when all you need to do is take a walk in the park (and farm nodes along the way) will be just as fulfilling in the end.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

>

> Actually a ton of people have complained publicly about the game. So many left because of many of the reasons I've stated, hence why the megaserver was implemented.

> You seem to be in the "The game is perfect the way it is--stop complaining" camp. Me personally, I think it's important to have a dialog about why people are less satisfied, and it's important for Anet, as a business, to get feedback from these players who leave the game.

>

Here's the thing, I am someone who has been HIGHLY critical of the game and Anet over the years. To the point of being censured and reprimanded even. There are tons of things to be critical of, yes. On the micro level there have been some transgressions that I feel needed the spotlight put to them and no doubt there will be more. As someone who comes from the GW1 days and who has been here since the beginning, I really and truly love this world and the game on the whole. Its partly why I am so critical.

That being said, the reason why you've no doubt gotten the responses that you have is because the list you provided for the reasons why you have chosen to leave GW2 repeatedly is full of many things that made GW2 stand out from the rest of the games in this field and speak more to its strengths than its weaknesses. Sure, its easy to complain about loot drops in the game, but ultimately that is a long term discussion to be had with Anet on loot values and how they have to balance that with incentive to keep playing and not destroying their in game economy outright, and Anet has in fact listened in many ways to many of our complaints and have delivered (I feel) with the PoF maps.

Unfortunately if the very things that make GW2 what it is. If the things that help set it apart from other MMOs are the things that you dislike enough to post about it and how they keep making you leave the game, then the suggestion that you step away to another MMO that is more your speed is not a completely wrong suggestion. Go and try out a few different MMOs out there. See how they are faring and how they approach some of these same issues you have with GW2. I say this because i have done it. When GW2 was burning me out and I was grousing about all of the issues I had with it, i stepped away and played about 5 different other MMOs. At the end of the day got to see just how right Anet "got it" and find myself enjoying GW2 more in spite of the things I feel they still get wrong.

No one is saying you shouldn't express your feelings about it just that perhaps if the very core of what makes GW2, well GW2, is what is rubbing you the wrong way right now, then perhaps some distance and evaluation from afar will do you more good than a post in the forum that really won't lead to any change on Anet's part.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > Using an argument that you dont like LA and you want designers to waste all their work and time is the worst thing you could have said in this post.

>

> Except I'm not alone:

yup, i miss it too. I have toons "parked" at the personal story steps that take place in old LA just to see it/play around there. Its not a bad thing in the long run though. Its still not enough of a reason for me to nope out of the game. It was an experiment in world events that changed the landscape and I'm happy I was here to see it all unfold. That's an experience new players will never get to have in this game, and that is worth more to me than loot from a chest after a boss event.

> @"Ceridwen.6703" said:

> I still want to know why OP keeps coming back. Might be my medication, but not sure I've seen that bit yet.

I enjoy the franchise, and with so many hours played I feel invested--and I said in another post there are many things I love about the game. I wouldn't be posting here if I weren't passionate about it. I just wish it were more.

>The only things I will say is the acquire the copper salvage-o-matic for a way to deal with inventory bobbins and I also don't like soulbeast. So, I don't play it. I still like my core ranger too - there should be nothing wrong with that. Did you try druid? I didn't like that either, but eh. It's not a game breaker, not even close. Did you try any other professions? I've been through the lot, and although I'm still favouring maining a reaper necro, I've mained mesmers (long time), rangers (always for a little bit), guardians (smallest bit now and then) before now, and have a smattering of ele, engi and thief to the side. Warrior is boring and revenants don't work for me, but they do for others, because that's how stuff works.

Thanks. If I get back into the game I'll try the salvage-o-matic. I still don't understand why so many worthless blues and greens (and minor runes) drop in a max level expansion area. If it's just for the materials, I think that's kind of poor way to go about it. And I didn't like the druid either, so for me that's two elite specs that have been disappointing.

> Honestly, I'm concluding this just isn't for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Coming back and expecting all your boxes somehow checked is a bit misguided, however. I hope you do find something for you elsewhere (or already have done so), because this likely isn't it.

I don't expect all my boxes to be checked, but I do think there are things I mentioned that could be improved upon. I don't think most would object to having some more activities that have the potential to bring people together and give you more relaxing things to do, such as fishing or housing. Anet added mounts after most people thought they were unnecessary, and put their own spin on them, so there's definitely a chance we could see fishing (or similar) or housing later on down the road.

I'm not sure that the game isn't "for me", I just don't think it has the capability to keep me glued to the screen for the long haul. The beautiful aesthetics and the responsive and varied traversal are always a blast at the beginning, and the spectacle of the sheer amount of people piling up for events is initially impressive, but after awhile I notice myself going through the motions, grinding away for rewards rather than memorable experiences. As if a new legendary weapon is going to make me enjoy the game more. The theme park becomes apparent and I can see all the parts in motion, as we insert coins to watch the Mouth of Mordremoth dance around once again. I realize that I'm not actually having that much fun with the gameplay itself; it's the carrot at the end of the stick that makes me want to continue. It's at that point when I usually quit. There needs to be more potential for unique experiences.

With regards to the point about guild and social.

I started running a guild few months in after launch, to be more accurate, I took over a dead guild. For context, I am SEA thus my initial group of target is of course SEA as well, in other words, it has smaller recruitment pool than prime time populations. In the same server at that time, there were couple of other larger SEA guilds, ranging from medium to large. As everybody who played at launch should know, represent is a thing as it defined your chatbox. Despite being not the first mover and having many competitors (guilds), I turn that dead guild into a 500-men guild within a few months. At that period, some earlier guilds attempted to adapt my guild's rules and requirements due to its success without actually understanding the intentions behind all those rules. At the same time, a lot of people got bitter over the success. The guild had robust social environment but the rapid grow and my lack of presence due to RL quickly cause allow internal conflicts of interests to grow and go out of hand. Nevertheless, despite taking some time, I repaired the damage caused by the drama and bought it to even greater height.

The point is there are pros and cons in the guild system that guild wars 2 chose.

In the beginning, there was only one chat and successful guilds at that time made rules to make sure everyone are on that one single chat. The pro of that system is it allow guilds to foster a very strong social environment where people actually get to know each other for real. It is like going to office, the person sitting beside your desk is not part of your team but just because is sitting beside you, eventually you will speak and know him better. Naturally, it also breed a lot of activities, people will look within the guild first before lfg, people are also more willing to do things that never wanted to because their friends they made in the guild are doing it. The level of activities was easily many times above what my guild has now. The con of it is that there will always be conflict in personalities and interests.

When cross chat became a thing, the social of guilds naturally got impacted. Other than the obvious less likely to try other things since people will just hop to their preferred activities. People also became less helpful simply because it is human nature to partake the side that are doing your favorite thing than offer help on the other side. Likewise, the social perspective narrowed because you will only join the side that is doing your favorite thing, and not just one side but many sides (guilds). In other words, the con is that the social closeness and friendliness got severally impacted, and anything that born from those got severally impacted as well. The pro is obvious, the freedom to access your preferred activities.

All in all, when guilds change to cross chat. It no longer follows the traditional approach of mmorpg in social building. Now, guilds have become a placeholder for chat rooms, special interest groups etc. There are still minority number of guilds that attempt to maintain a certain level of social with rules or simply selective memberships or tryhard maintaining activities but all of those are simply just last effort to maintain the natural breeding of social closeness in guild.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> This is getting very pointless to reply. I don't need to explain why my dissatisfaction is valid. These are real thoughts I've had over the years, as a gamer, as a fan of the original Guild Wars, and as someone who has played countless other MMOs. Apparently I'm not allowed to have opinions. Enjoy your perfect game, everybody.

Well, you sort of do, because your basis for comparison is not valid. GW2 was not intended to be GW1, part 2, though that's how you describe your complaints.

I have five things keeping me here, guild chat, wvw sometimes, the combat system itself, cooperative PvE and the lack of competition.

No game already there or announced manages to keep my interest for long. Some are deathtraps and breeding pits for skrittholes like Eve Online. For Honor fell through. I do not play games who are on maintenance only, so no GW1 for me anymore. Crowfall and CU could be on the right track, but I am not too positive about their potential. GW2 blew me away when I first saw their ideas, but they could not keep their word with things they suggested(changing world, home invasion) and so the game slowly turned into the clone of a game it is today.

So in summary I would say that GW2 is the most stable island in a sea of mediocre opportunities.

So I decided to try out FFXIV. Within the first couple hours I ran into two people doing quests and we stopped and had a conversation, because in this game it felt very natural to do. They asked if they could help me out, since they're both max level. Moments later, I've added them as friends, and I'm invited into their "guild hall" (which is actual land that is purchased inside a neighborhood) and we're all just dancing to music playing on the jukebox and being silly and having a good time.

This little social event, occurring within _two hours_ of playing the game, was already more enjoyable and intimate than any event I can recall in my entire time of playing Guild Wars 2. _This_ is what I'm talking about; this social aspect that is present in so many other MMOs. Yes, in Guild Wars 2 I have lots and lots of great items. Great armor, great weapons, skins, achievements, titles, etc. I've seen some fantastic things, killed fantastic beasts, and enjoyed events that new players will never get to see. That's all great--but what I don't have, and have never had, are online friends and a real sense of community. And that's simply because GW2 is not designed for you to make friends easily and naturally. You guys can disagree with me, but that's how I feel. That's been my own personal experience.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> So I decided to try out FFXIV. Within the first couple hours I ran into two people doing quests and we stopped and had a conversation, because in this game it felt very natural to do. They asked if they could help me out, since they're both max level. Moments later, I've added them as friends, and I'm invited into their "guild hall" (which is actual land that is purchased inside a neighborhood) and we're all just dancing to music playing on the jukebox and being silly and having a good time.

>

> This little social event, occurring within _two hours_ of playing the game, was already more enjoyable and intimate than any event I can recall in my entire time of playing Guild Wars 2. _This_ is what I'm talking about; this social aspect that is present in so many other MMOs. Yes, in Guild Wars 2 I have lots and lots of great items. Great armor, great weapons, skins, achievements, titles, etc. I've seen some fantastic things, killed fantastic beasts, and enjoyed events that new players will never get to see. That's all great--but what I don't have, and have never had, are online friends and a real sense of community. And that's simply because GW2 is not designed for you to make friends easily and naturally. You guys can disagree with me, but that's how I feel. That's been my own personal experience.

>

Funny cause I meet a lot of new people everyday and make friends easily on GW2. In fact last night I met a guy who recently got to lvl80, and asked on map if there was anything to do in game after lvl80, and I told him I was going to do a few jumping puzzles and if he wanted to join me. He did and while we did a Jumping Puzzle outside the grove, we saw a new player who apperantly was there 30min before us and died at the worst place possible. So we killed the bad guys and revived him together. Then he asked if he could join us seeing that we where both lvl80s and he was lvl5 at the time, and we invited him to our party and we completed the puzzle. By the time we finished, we all got our achievment, loot and exp. I told them I know another jumping puzzle near by, and I took them there while we did dynamic events, by the time we got there and finished another puzzle, he leveled up to lvl8, and then we made our way up to Metrica Provance and did more events, got hero points, vistas, while making our way to the puzzle there. By the time we finished he reached lvl9. The three of us where having fun, and having a conversation together over Discord. The new player didn't have a mic so he typed for the most part but he was able to listen to us chat. And next thing you know we added each other to friends list and tonight when I logged on for my daily reward, I saw them again and we chatted a bit. Didn't have too much time to play but it was one hell of an adventure we had last night and we had a lot of fun playing and socializing together.

I played GW2 since beta and to me this is the most social MMO I have ever played with a lot of fun content I can play solo or with others while making friends. The best part for me is the social aspect of this game is never forced. It is all optional. People who prefer to socialize can and those who feel like soloing can. I came from playin FF11 for 6 years and that game had nothing but forced social aspects to it with tons of grind and repetitiveness which a loath.

That's my story.

Edit: I like to also add that during my time playing FF11, I always hated that I needed to interact with people to get something done when I didnt want to. I'm glad in GW2 I can have my cake and eat it too. I can get stuff done solo or with friends and I never have to feel like I am competing with others. In fact I feel like people who help me are actually helping me and that motivates me to interact with them and even make friends with them naturally. This I like because I can choose to do what I want and interact with people I want, not because I need too, but because I want too, which comes naturally for me.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> So I decided to try out FFXIV. Within the first couple hours I ran into two people doing quests and we stopped and had a conversation, because in this game it felt very natural to do. They asked if they could help me out, since they're both max level. Moments later, I've added them as friends, and I'm invited into their "guild hall" (which is actual land that is purchased inside a neighborhood) and we're all just dancing to music playing on the jukebox and being silly and having a good time.

>

> This little social event, occurring within _two hours_ of playing the game, was already more enjoyable and intimate than any event I can recall in my entire time of playing Guild Wars 2. _This_ is what I'm talking about; this social aspect that is present in so many other MMOs. Yes, in Guild Wars 2 I have lots and lots of great items. Great armor, great weapons, skins, achievements, titles, etc. I've seen some fantastic things, killed fantastic beasts, and enjoyed events that new players will never get to see. That's all great--but what I don't have, and have never had, are online friends and a real sense of community. And that's simply because GW2 is not designed for you to make friends easily and naturally. You guys can disagree with me, but that's how I feel. That's been my own personal experience.

You don't need a virtual hous/guild hall to socialise with people. You can meet folks while questing in every MMO out there.

I've seen lots of players acting silly and making funny with toys and dancing in central hubs in this game. You can chat up to folks while beeing outside, waiting for a bounty to spawn... i actually did that less than an hour ago, and i'm a solist by nature in games like this.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

>

>

This same exact kind of thing could have easily happened in GW2 as well.

You could have ran into people doing map completion, chatted, made friends, been invited to a guild, dance play with tonics/gizmos/etc, and have a good time.

I do not see what you mean when you say GW2 is not designed to make friends. I've met and made friends with plenty of people on Gw2.

That may be your personal experience, but that does not mean that most people experience the same things as you.