• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > > > @"Ebonfire.8270" said:

> > > > > I also agree this game is the least social mmo I've played. At first, I was captivated by community events and the level of cooperative participation by those on the map. I've been playing MMOs from EQ1 and I was glad to see something different from the old "we are all on the same mission/quest but whoever tags it first gets it" design. But there is something missing, and one thing I'd point to is the flow of gameplay and mob density does not leave much time for socializing. Not that I think it was a great design to engage one mob for a 30-second fight, repeat, and then sit and regen. But I can say the zone chat was sometimes more entertaining than the gameplay. Here it is go, go, go, got to keep moving and be efficient about farming gold/loot.

> > > >

> > > > Yes, absolutely. Everyone's so busy, everyone travels way too fast, and there's not much stopping to smell the roses. And that's a good point about the mob density. You can't just explore a map and enjoy the sights and sounds without getting attacked every few seconds. They put so much work into the level design only for you to blast through it hurriedly (Tangled Depths comes to mind, in particular). In FFXIV and some other MMOs, there are plenty of non-aggressive mobs around, and once you get to a certain level the aggros stop bothering you altogether. I LOVE that. It makes you really feel like you've grown in power.

> > >

> > > Mounts and gliding needs to be removed with wp and swiftness and its likes too

> >

> > I would honestly be fine with some of that, depending on the area. Don't put mounts in areas that were never designed with mounts in mind. Same with gliders. People are just blasting through areas like a bat out of hell. It used to be fun trying to figure out how to get to vistas in base content, now you just launch up to them instantly in your stupid mount. Of course I _could_ make it more difficult on myself and NOT use a mount, but I could also make it more difficult on myself if I blindfolded myself and played the game with my toes while drunk.

>

> No they have to go alltogether they are bad for game

Yeah, I don't see that happening in this game. They are pretty much here to stay whether you like it or not.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > I love Gw2 because I'm not FORCED to play or socialize with other players. I suffer from social anxiety which actually is way worse when playing online, for whatever reason.

> > > I absolutely adore the genre of MMORPGs, yet Gw2 is pretty much the only game I can play without occasionally experiencing panic attacks.

> >

> > Why would you play MMOs at all if you have such extreme social anxiety? I'm genuinely curious. For me, it's the social aspect that's most appealing. Strip that away and you have one very mediocre game compared to any number of singleplayer RPGs.

>

> Because I like to have the possibility to play with my friends and make new friends IF i feel comfortable enough. I like Gw2 because all that is possible, but not required.

> Also I just like the gameplay of MMORPGs. Single Player RPGs don't seem to do it for me.

> On top of that, excluding activities because of your anxiety is (at least in my case) very counter productive.

Can also confirm when one has social anxiety there's encouragement to interact more with people. It's hard, but doable. But it's also nice not to have to do it all the time.

That said, I'm on a small break from GW2, and am actually playing FFXIV, where I inevitably have to play with others (it's been going just fine, which has surprised me), and the lalafell* next door is being super nice and friendly. It's probably trying to break me down, bit by bit, but for once, I seem to be appreciating the effort. XD

*Asura are still the master race, though.

> @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > > @"Jaunty.6018" said:

> > > Also, complaints (when constructive) lead to change.

> >

> > The thing is, if GW2 changed in the way that you want, much of the current player base wouldn't be very pleased. I know I'd be among the people looking for a new game.

> >

> >

>

> I don't expect people to agree with all my criticisms, but are you telling me you wouldn't like to see fishing, housing, and other socially-minded downtime activities? Two person mounts? Or improvements to inventory management? Or a more enjoyable main city? Are you 100% happy with soulbeast then, and the other elite specs?

Not addressed to me, but:

Mounts, though well implemented, were never on my list of desired additions to the game. Two person mounts? Not interested.

Fishing? Don't enjoy it in real life, didn't like it in other MMO's.

Inventory management? Better than any game I've played before...but always room for improvement I suppose.

Housing? Quickly became boring in other games I've played with it. I spent the money and time, and it didn't hold my interest.''

I love Divinity's Reach. I regret the remodel of LA though.

Soulbeast reignited my enjoyment of my main character. I run a shortbow/dagger-torch build that is very fun, effective, etc. I do wish that the spec gave more benefit for camping the merged form. A significant part of my enjoyment of the spec is the ability to play without a pet.

I won't say absolutely that changing the game to suit you would drive me away, but some of your interests would call for directing resources away from things I like about the game.

I don't know about the game... but I do know I'm leaving this forum.

Can I just say I have truly hated my experiences here. There is no room for discussion, only a dictatorship where mere words are treated like lord voldemort.

I was a passionate poster here but I'm just out. I'm so disheartened. Thank you all for the discussions.

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > @"Derenek.8931" said:

> > > I leave guildwars because it's just so old now. I usually go to Black Deert, which has the BEST combat out there of any MMO. It also has a mid boggling array of things to do. But I always end up quiiting BDO and heading back to GW because the story in BDO is garbage and the item enhancement system is literally the worst thing ever designed. Because the game is gear based and it is kitten near impossible to upgrade your gear once you reach a certain point without basically negating thousands of hours of play time for each failed attempt, it in't fun anymore, it's an exercise in frustration.

> > >

> > > So I come back to GW to kitten around for a bit, but rapidly get bored again. I suppose I could work towards legendaries, but...meh I don't see the point. So after a couple weeks of guildwars, I end up feeling like there is nothing left for me to do and leave again.

> > >

> > > Aner, stop making expansions and work on guildwars 3.

> > > The combat system, while innovative for a decade ago doesn't hold a candle to black desert. The variety of endless minigames and gameplay options in newer games/MMO's also outdoes GW2 these days.

> > >

> > > So if you guys made a decent sandbox MMO with a modern combat system and the sttention to detail and polish Anet is known for, I'll be first in line to buy.

> > >

> > > I haven't bought the newest expansion because...

> > > well, why?

> > > the gameplay is the same, the mechanics are unchanged. It's just more grinding.

> >

> > Gw3 low chance too happend for the genre is dying

>

> The genre is dying because there's a million and a half clones out there. People still want to play multiplayer games, it's just that everyone is sick of buying a new game that turns out to be just the same as the other games.

The genre has been struggling because publishers care far more about extracting every last cent of short term profit from their customers than they are about making a good game and forging long term customer relationships. The core customer base is getting extremely weary of the manipulative sales tactics and the industry is having to deal with the consequences of that. Until they get off the profits-at-all-costs crack-pipe the industry is going to continue to flounder.

> @"Hypatia.3160" said:

>

> The genre has been struggling because publishers care far more about extracting every last cent of short term profit from their customers than they are about making a good game and forging long term customer relationships. The core customer base is getting extremely weary of the manipulative sales tactics and the industry is having to deal with the consequences of that. Until they get off the profits-at-all-costs crack-pipe the industry is going to continue to flounder.

Also, in part, I think the general short-attention span of the target demographic drives publishers to grab every cent as quickly as possible before the players move on to the next thing.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Hypatia.3160" said:

>

> >

> > The genre has been struggling because publishers care far more about extracting every last cent of short term profit from their customers than they are about making a good game and forging long term customer relationships. The core customer base is getting extremely weary of the manipulative sales tactics and the industry is having to deal with the consequences of that. Until they get off the profits-at-all-costs crack-pipe the industry is going to continue to flounder.

>

> Also, in part, I think the general short-attention span of the target demographic drives publishers to grab every cent as quickly as possible before the players move on to the next thing.

Also mmorpg was popular but ppl moved on to other genres

1. I agree in that there needs to be more incentive to stick with a guild for one reason or another. Currently it doesn't even matter since guild rewards are pretty meh anyways, and players all afk in town instead of halls. (Might be good if you could actually log into a hall) and yeah open world is to easy, but that's the same for any MMO that doesn't have you sit for 3 min between every encounter to heal or regen some resource.

2. We could use a little more inconvence more in the ways of travel since the world feels kind of small with so many waypoints. Maybe more of a penalty for dying would be kinda neat, I always liked WoW's run to your body or rez with penalty thing. Dunno if it would suit GW2 but both of these things contribute to the size of the world. For every other part of your complaint really if you Raid or high tier frac it shouldn't matter since everyone needs to contribute to a point of completion, and slackers get left behind. Which is kind of what you want right? You will be rewarded for playing well and they won't.

3. Every MMO floods you with trash loot.

4. You don't one shot, but you can rofl stomp any zone solo easily with any spec.

5. Matters little. There is always optimal and meta, or a core rotation of skills that are irrelevant to your weapon that causes stagnation. Or a game may give you more skills than you can feasibly bind to usable keys, but a vast majority you will never use. (that said I miss things like levitate, slow fall... or popping water walk while everyone is dropping into a giant pool below xD)

6. Every spec and the weapon it comes with is hit or miss. As a Mes main I rarely ever use axe, and with the changes to shield on chrono I'm not as fond of it. Comes with the territory, if you hate the entire line well rip then, some boat for thieves who don't like deadeye. That's fine tho DD is just as good.

7. You may like the old LA, but I like clean nice and open areas. Ya know instead of rotting strung pirate ships everywhere. Only better map than both was the destroyed version. I guess there is no accounting for taste tho.

I leave when my level of frustration reaches its limit...I like the MMO aspects of the game, and I like the story (mostly) but I really despise the sadistic nature of the story instance mechanics and challenges...just not for me...yeah, some people like that kinda stuff -the same that like jumping puzzles, I'd imagine.

I have even managed to get good socializing out of the *most* anti-social part of this game: PvP

It was unranked, which I suppose helped, but before the match started we ran to the middle, saw someone from the other team, waved, said hi, told them to take it easy on us simple noobs (I was playing with my usual PvP team, we are far from pro, but it's still fun). They laughed and expressed doubt at us being noobs at PvP.

The game progressed, there was occasional remarks at each other in map chat, friendly things. My team ended up winning. Found the person in the lobby, made conversation with them. Joked about how my team isn't normally that good. They expressed interest in joining our guild so we invited and "initiated" them (put on matching weird outfits and danced in a circle around them). And now the guild has one more friendly face.

I do struggle with the gear or lack of desirable items etc. I feel like there is no need for them since I don't raid. The griffon mount was brilliant though, really enjoyed that, same with the reforging of Caladbolg. Those two were fun but not exciting.

I just miss those days when I found an upgrade and it was exciting. Can't remember the last time something dropped and I was excited about it. The last time I felt my pulse race was doing Abaddon's Ascent, that was a while ago.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> I have even managed to get good socializing out of the *most* anti-social part of this game: PvP

>

> It was unranked, which I suppose helped, but before the match started we ran to the middle, saw someone from the other team, waved, said hi, told them to take it easy on us simple noobs (I was playing with my usual PvP team, we are far from pro, but it's still fun). They laughed and expressed doubt at us being noobs at PvP.

>

> The game progressed, there was occasional remarks at each other in map chat, friendly things. My team ended up winning. Found the person in the lobby, made conversation with them. Joked about how my team isn't normally that good. They expressed interest in joining our guild so we invited and "initiated" them (put on matching weird outfits and danced in a circle around them). And now the guild has one more friendly face.

That's great! I'm not saying it's impossible to be social in the game, I personally just find it far more difficult than other games.

> @"Daishi.6027" said:

> 2. We could use a little more inconvence more in the ways of travel since the world feels kind of small with so many waypoints. Maybe more of a penalty for dying would be kinda neat, I always liked WoW's run to your body or rez with penalty thing. Dunno if it would suit GW2 but both of these things contribute to the size of the world. For every other part of your complaint really if you Raid or high tier frac it shouldn't matter since everyone needs to contribute to a point of completion, and slackers get left behind. Which is kind of what you want right? You will be rewarded for playing well and they won't.

I also enjoyed how WoW handled death. Just enough punishment to make you not want to die, but not so much to make you WANT to die IRL. XD

> 3. Every MMO floods you with trash loot.

Not like this one. Holy moly!

> 4. You don't one shot, but you can rofl stomp any zone solo easily with any spec.

You certainly are more powerful, but it's not the same as something like FFXIV where aggro mobs won't even bother you anymore once you're a few levels higher. That wouldn't work in GW2, but it's such a cool feature. I hate how much I'm attacked in GW2, just trying to enjoy the areas.

> 5. Matters little. There is always optimal and meta, or a core rotation of skills that are irrelevant to your weapon that causes stagnation. Or a game may give you more skills than you can feasibly bind to usable keys, but a vast majority you will never use. (that said I miss things like levitate, slow fall... or popping water walk while everyone is dropping into a giant pool below xD)

It does matter though. While utility skills can be swapped, my longbow always has the same 5 skills. They never change. Compared to GW1, that's very limiting.

> 6. Every spec and the weapon it comes with is hit or miss. As a Mes main I rarely ever use axe, and with the changes to shield on chrono I'm not as fond of it. Comes with the territory, if you hate the entire line well rip then, some boat for thieves who don't like deadeye. That's fine tho DD is just as good.

I wish there was some shapeshifting in soulbeast. Letting you bind with less pets but actually having you shapeshift into them would be way cooler than just having the same aura all the time.

> 7. You may like the old LA, but I like clean nice and open areas. Ya know instead of rotting strung pirate ships everywhere. Only better map than both was the destroyed version. I guess there is no accounting for taste tho.

I'll take rotting strung pirate ships any day. Was so much more interesting to look at and traverse. Also enjoyed the mystic forge area more, where people were packed tightly together and there was more socializing going on. Was cozy.