What's the least used necro weapon and why?

Treetoptrickster.4205

Focus

hands down its got to be the worst weapon in all of the game (on necro) in regards to its use all around bad with little to no use. Its main uses are venerability, and boon strip which necros are capable of doing plenty of without it. Its skill 5 which is spinal shivers is far too slow for its cast time and feels less rewarding than "Lesser spinal shivers." Its projectile on 4 skill will hit its target (only when the target is standing within maybe 150 to 200 range) ITs just bad. (As some one above mentioned it also bounces of allies some times kill half of its mechanics onto of its very bad tracking ability)

If i had to give a runner up i would say off hand dagger its not as useless as focus and its projectile is actually decent. you get one condi transfer with it as well as a blind and the 5 skill gives you a boon corrupt. Still not all that but it has its uses when you need them.

In short just rework focus to either be something targeted focused on boon strip, chill, and life force gain or make it have some defensive tools (a counter, a parry, a block idk something) to make it worth using as necros have 0 defensive weapons in their kits.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> Focus

> hands down its got to be the worst weapon in all of the game (on necro) in regards to its use all around bad with little to no use. Its main uses are venerability, and boon strip which necros are capable of doing plenty of without it. Its skill 5 which is spinal shivers is far too slow for its cast time and feels less rewarding than "Lesser spinal shivers." Its projectile on 4 skill will hit its target (only when the target is standing within maybe 150 to 200 range) ITs just bad. (As some one above mentioned it also bounces of allies some times kill half of its mechanics onto of its very bad tracking ability)

>

> If i had to give a runner up i would say off hand dagger its not as useless as focus and its projectile is actually decent. you get one condi transfer with it as well as a blind and the 5 skill gives you a boon corrupt. Still not all that but it has its uses when you need them.

>

> In short just rework focus to either be something targeted focused on boon strip, chill, and life force gain or make it have some defensive tools (a counter, a parry, a block idk something) to make it worth using as necros have 0 defensive weapons in their kits.

I use focus on scourge in pve for a little bit more lifeforce regen and vulnerability, if I play solo. But the skill is terrible unreliable. In fractals u can sometimes use the boonstrip on focus.

I also use focus on reaper in spvp, for boonstrip and the bouncing of skill 4 is on powerbuilds quite decent if you stand in meele range of your opponent.

But yeah it's not great, often, due to how the bouncing skill 4 works it doesn't even hit the target, like not once and the boonstrip has a long cast time, too long for pve, where it screws up your rotation.

But necro lacks good weapon choicesin general, especially offhand weapons .

> @"Adenin.5973" said:

> > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > Focus

> > hands down its got to be the worst weapon in all of the game (on necro) in regards to its use all around bad with little to no use. Its main uses are venerability, and boon strip which necros are capable of doing plenty of without it. Its skill 5 which is spinal shivers is far too slow for its cast time and feels less rewarding than "Lesser spinal shivers." Its projectile on 4 skill will hit its target (only when the target is standing within maybe 150 to 200 range) ITs just bad. (As some one above mentioned it also bounces of allies some times kill half of its mechanics onto of its very bad tracking ability)

> >

> > If i had to give a runner up i would say off hand dagger its not as useless as focus and its projectile is actually decent. you get one condi transfer with it as well as a blind and the 5 skill gives you a boon corrupt. Still not all that but it has its uses when you need them.

> >

> > In short just rework focus to either be something targeted focused on boon strip, chill, and life force gain or make it have some defensive tools (a counter, a parry, a block idk something) to make it worth using as necros have 0 defensive weapons in their kits.

>

> I use focus on scourge in pve for a little bit more lifeforce regen. But the skill is terrible unreliable. In fractals u can sometimes use the boonstrip on focus.

> I also use focus on reaper in spvp, for boonstrip and the bouncing of skill 4 is on powerbuilds quite decent if you stand in meele range of your opponent.

>

> But yeah it's not great, often, due to how the bouncing skill 4 works it doesn't even hit the target, like not once and the boonstrip has a long cast time, too long for pve, where it screws up your rotation.

>

> But necro lacks good weapon choices, especially offhand weapons in general.

Ive played around with focus now and again just to hear the satisfying sound of spinal shivers (necros have some of my favorite sound effects in the game).

The damage on power builds of foucs 4 is very satisfying if you manage to land it but due to it have like a 20% chance to land and right in your foes face is not always an ideal place for a necro to be it can be very punishing some times to go for or when it out right misses. >.<

I dont doubt that some people still use it but if i had to pick the worst it would be that one. For the longest time ive wanted this weapon to get a skill rework maybe one day the devs will do it.

depends on game mode

from a pvp power perspective, Dagger/Focus is still pretty scary to deal with, if you get a good immob off after they waste cleanses because they think you're a generic condi build like everyone and their grandmother are, focus 4/5 can hit like a train, for small scale spvp or in wvw

but, as above said, a lot of 4's damage gets wasted on bouncing to allies and yourself, which is a disappointment

but the strip and damage can be pretty heavy, it just figures it's not aoe

other problem is, Warhorn is too good to pass up in most scenarios, due to even more life force generation and unblockable daze, same with staff for the fear mark and condi swap

the dagger/focus themselves don't really need some "love", the thing that needs "love" the most is power necro itself, the power creep is too real in this game, the dagger autos are really strong on their own, when you consider how much life force you generate with what scourge can pump out of their F skills in terms of damage and set up utility with fear or the barriers and cleanse just being so good on their own

it's just.... power necro is outclassed as a whole right now due to the horrifying power creep that is most other power-based classes and lolcondi right now

other things for power necro need to be fixed, first, and then dagger/focus wouldn't seem as bad as they do now, we'd have to see how power necro itself stands after some much needed help before considering the weapons being the problem

i don't know much about pve, but i'm assuming they will always see low use of them there, as pve tends to favor cleaving, which, because of the bouncing, mostly single target on 4, and 3/5 being single target heavily leaning in the opposite direction of what's useful in pve, you'd only be auto attacking, and only have your shroud or scourge skills for actual rotations, which is another reason why necro isn't doing so well in pve right now, but i assume if power necro in general is buffed, reaper would be best there because of how the reaper shroud works with cleave, and that means greatsword due to that cleave plus gravedigger.... existing, then maybe ranged option for swap if necessary

I'm of the firm belief that it's not the weapons that are a problem ... it's how many core traits are wasted as 'shroud-only' and this results in a limited bandwidth of effects for non-shroud state. If you compare Necro weapons to other classes' weapons, they don't appear first hand to be particularly restricted or limited.

I can't guess what's the least used in PvP, but I can't help but feel Staff is missing something that makes it's appealing in PVE>

Offhand Dagger is the worst weapon in PvP/WvW. Both skills are unreliable and don't even offer LF generation.

People who say Focus is bad will never get good on Necro in PvP/WvW. It's by far the best offhand for power builds.

PvE wise Focus is not bad but redundant. None of the skills is needed as in PvE you don't have LF issues, you don't have range issues and in contrast to PvP your GS chills will hit their target.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> Focus, for every single game mode. That's particularly sad, since the new legendary focus seems to be specially designed to suit a necromancer.

Focus is my second favorite off hand warhorn would be my favorite. I would say the least used weapons in my opinion are scepter and off hand dagger

I'd say focus.

Daggers have their adepts, be it main hand or off hand.

Warhorn is always usefull

scepter... well it's our best weapon...

Axe is neither bad nor good.

staff, despite it's horrendous skills, have fervent users that only believe in it.

GS and torch are just e-specs weapon... so they don't really need to be addressed.

So definitely focus. Skill#4, while seemingly a good idea, tend to be a waste of time and skill#5 have always been difficult to use due to it's long cast time. Best course of action would be to rework skill#4 and reduce skill#5 cast time to a almost instant cast (maybe 1/2 or 1/4 second). It's effect is not worth the 1 whole second of cast time and have never been worth it.