new player looking for easiest dps profession/rotation

Howdy, I'm looking for suggestions on what is a good dps profession with the shortest/easiest rotation of skills if possible. I currently play condition scourge with all minion skills in healing, utility and elite, to help me focus on just my weapon skill bar and shroud skills. However, I still find myself looking more at my skills than what is going on in the battle, so I end up standing in red circles and such a lot. Ideally, I would like to only use about 3-5 skills, with the rest being passive bonuses, as I have trouble focusing on multiple things at once, like cooldowns, changing battle situtations, etc. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

> @"Philexan.8475" said:

> Howdy, I'm looking for suggestions on what is a good dps profession with the shortest/easiest rotation of skills if possible. I currently play condition scourge with all minion skills in healing, utility and elite, to help me focus on just my weapon skill bar and shroud skills. However, I still find myself looking more at my skills than what is going on in the battle, so I end up standing in red circles and such a lot. Ideally, I would like to only use about 3-5 skills, with the rest being passive bonuses, as I have trouble focusing on multiple things at once, like cooldowns, changing battle situtations, etc. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but... you are already playing one of the easiest professions out there. The scourge has a relative short rotation. You could go P/D carrion thief but that doesn't work in spvp, it`s outclassed by literally any other thief build in pve and in WvW you need to have situational awareness to land cloak and dagger every time. No really, P/D thieves might look easy mode (spam 1, 5, 1 from hide, rinse, repeat) but if u miss your cloak and dagger (5) just once you are dead. Easy rotations are not necessarily the most competitive. Stick with the scourge and master it.

This game is very well balanced. This means that easy doesnt go well with dps, for optimal dps you need skill. Having said that, the game is also very friendly. You can kill most of the stuff with far from optimum but easy to play toons.

To answer the question, I reall recommend the holosmith. The choice in the holosmith grandmaster trait makes a lot of difference to how it is played, but if you pick something suiting to your play style, all three are very forgiving (and to me that equals easy)

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> To answer the question, I reall recommend the holosmith.

He specifically said he has issues focusing on multiple things at once, playing Holosmith is horrible advice.

That being said, no class in any meta (not sure whether you play PvE or PvP or what) fits what you are asking for. So since you're not concerned with playing some optimal meta build, you can really just find a class you like and build it to fit your play style. You're never going to put out great damage or anything, but that's ok because the game would kinda suck if you could.

> @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > To answer the question, I reall recommend the holosmith.

>

> He specifically said he has issues focusing on multiple things at once, playing Holosmith is horrible advice.

>

> That being said, no class in any meta (not sure whether you play PvE or PvP or what) fits what you are asking for. So since you're not concerned with playing some optimal meta build, you can really just find a class you like and build it to fit your play style. You're never going to put out great damage or anything, but that's ok because the game would kinda suck if you could.

I doubt you really tried the different holosmith grandmaster traits. All clashes can be build by it, but no class gives it in such clear options. Thermal release valve is very supportive to a dodging play style. Photoniv blasting module makes your dps really good, but also is risky (glasscanon). The storage unit makes it a lot more forgiving and gives you time to get the most out of all skills, non are optimal to what the OP wants, but as you said, nothing is. It is the clear choice presented that makes it interesting. And obviously other traits and skills should compliment the choice,

OP, firstly what game mode are you playing or intend to play in future? Assuming pve open world, since you said you're new, just turn on "snap aoe to target" and "quick cast" in options and just mesh all the weapons skill buttons on your scourge without looking and they will fire off when they're off cd and you will do just fine. So you can concentrate on not standing in red stuff. Even just auto attack is probably enough for open world but meshing will speed things up. Also use key binds instead of clicking on skills, in case you're not already doing so. If you give us a little more info, would be easier to make beteter suggestions.

You can eventually learn to dodge and pay attention to rotation at the same time but for now button meshing should be fine imo :) Just spend some time playing and building up some muscle memory. Is this your first character? Did you use an 80 boost?

> @"Philexan.8475" said:

> Howdy, I'm looking for suggestions on what is a good dps profession with the shortest/easiest rotation of skills if possible. I currently play condition scourge with all minion skills in healing, utility and elite, to help me focus on just my weapon skill bar and shroud skills. However, I still find myself looking more at my skills than what is going on in the battle, so I end up standing in red circles and such a lot. Ideally, I would like to only use about 3-5 skills, with the rest being passive bonuses, as I have trouble focusing on multiple things at once, like cooldowns, changing battle situtations, etc. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

The answer is so easy (for PvE)... power daredevil.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Berserker_Staff

Yw. Daredevil, as mentioned above, is pretty easy but its melee with maybe half the HP of a necro if you're fine with that. Lots of dodging is part of the dps rotation with traits that help you dodge more so naturally evading a lot, good aoe, and really good lifesteal trait option if you need healing at the cost of some damage. But your current minion scourge is probably the best ranged option for you already. Also try strafing the whole time as you're fighting on scourge. That way you're already walking out of AOEs as they appear, just try not to walk into a new one you're not already in. If you need more healing on necro, Curses line has a trait that gives your condis lifesteal, and Blood Magic has one that heals you each time a minion attacks.

> > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > To answer the question, I reall recommend the holosmith.

> >

> > He specifically said he has issues focusing on multiple things at once, playing Holosmith is horrible advice.

> >

> > That being said, no class in any meta (not sure whether you play PvE or PvP or what) fits what you are asking for. So since you're not concerned with playing some optimal meta build, you can really just find a class you like and build it to fit your play style. You're never going to put out great damage or anything, but that's ok because the game would kinda suck if you could.

>

> I doubt you really tried the different holosmith grandmaster traits. All clashes can be build by it, but no class gives it in such clear options. Thermal release valve is very supportive to a dodging play style. Photoniv blasting module makes your dps really good, but also is risky (glasscanon). The storage unit makes it a lot more forgiving and gives you time to get the most out of all skills, non are optimal to what the OP wants, but as you said, nothing is. It is the clear choice presented that makes it interesting. And obviously other traits and skills should compliment the choice,

Engi is my main class so yeah, I've messed with Holosmith and its traits. lol. You're still missing the point. OP isn't too great at focusing multiple things at once. Holosmith alone adds a self destructive mechanic to the Engineer, which already juggles kits to achieve optimal damage. Now sure he can go kitless Holo, but then he still has to manage his heat levels and there are other classes that can achieve better results with less micro-managing. Also, never said nothing fits what the OP wants, said what the OP wants just won't be an optimal meta build. Again, Holosmith . . .just horrible suggestion.

> @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > To answer the question, I reall recommend the holosmith.

> > >

> > > He specifically said he has issues focusing on multiple things at once, playing Holosmith is horrible advice.

> > >

> > > That being said, no class in any meta (not sure whether you play PvE or PvP or what) fits what you are asking for. So since you're not concerned with playing some optimal meta build, you can really just find a class you like and build it to fit your play style. You're never going to put out great damage or anything, but that's ok because the game would kinda suck if you could.

> >

> > I doubt you really tried the different holosmith grandmaster traits. All clashes can be build by it, but no class gives it in such clear options. Thermal release valve is very supportive to a dodging play style. Photoniv blasting module makes your dps really good, but also is risky (glasscanon). The storage unit makes it a lot more forgiving and gives you time to get the most out of all skills, non are optimal to what the OP wants, but as you said, nothing is. It is the clear choice presented that makes it interesting. And obviously other traits and skills should compliment the choice,

>

> Engi is my main class so yeah, I've messed with Holosmith and its traits. lol. You're still missing the point. OP isn't too great at focusing multiple things at once. Holosmith alone adds a self destructive mechanic to the Engineer, which already juggles kits to achieve optimal damage. Now sure he can go kitless Holo, but then he still has to manage his heat levels and there are other classes that can achieve better results with less micro-managing. Also, never said nothing fits what the OP wants, said what the OP wants just won't be an optimal meta build. Again, Holosmith . . .just horrible suggestion.

I get your point 100% , but you fail to see my point. Just read very carefully what I have to say, before skipping over half and jump to wrong conclusions. I have said that in my opinion, what the OP wants is not possible. I am explaining the best alternative (in my opinion). Disagree with me, but also respect my effort in helping this person by not misreading things.

I cant argue with the advice the people above me have given - but if you're looking for something easy to play in PvE content (open world) and enjoy the safe pet tanking mechanic - play a LB (with a gs or sword / axe backup) power ranger :)

You can easily do most content with 2 signets (speed + power signet), an optional ability like "Sick em" and the standard Strength of the Pack ultimate :) If you REALLY wanna focus on your weapon skills alone then you can run the toughness signet instead of one active ability (helps your pet tank as well!) It is safe, easy and deals a moderate amount of damage.

> I have said that in my opinion, what the OP wants is not possible. I am explaining the best alternative (in my opinion). Disagree with me, but also respect my effort in helping this person by not misreading things.

Of course what OP wants is possible, it's Power Daredevil with staff. It fits exactly what he requires. Passive sigils, 3 to 5 skills. Basically no cool downs because it's Initiative-driven, and using staff, you will rarely run out of it. Engineer, on the other side, its one of the hardest to master classes. Of course you can use #1 with it all the time and probably kill stuff in PvE, but a Power DD is much more effective doing that.

Power DD with staff basically uses autoattack and #2. You can do pretty well doing nothing else. Then you can add dodges, staff #5, a utility skill if you are ready for it. If you start out, you can have a mix of berserker and valkyrie gear, and when you got enough practice to watch AoEs and avoid them, go for more berserker stats.

It's quite difficult to switch to another class later on though, because if you are used to dodging around all the time and having initiative, it's not that easy to stand still with another class and get used to skill cool downs and going through full rotations.

I'm going to assume that this is for open world PvE.

If your problem is that you have trouble casting skills, I would recommend to use anything that can do a full stack of signets, like Warrior, Ranger, Guardian, Ele, or Mesmer. Just set your gear up to synergise with the passive effects of the signets and you will be fine.

As for your attacks, you'll obviously want to play something ranged, but I don't recommend Necro as they are AoE heavy, Its better to play something more single-target where you don't have to do as much situational awareness, like Ranger. In fact Ranger +shortbow +pet +signets would be my overall recommendation with Rampager, Sinister or Viper's gear. its possibly the most passive DPS gameplay that you can do.. pew pew pew.

Some people here are recommending melee and/or power builds; I don't think that's a good idea, as it will increase the stress of the situation on your mind. Range and conditions allow you to focus alot more on just dodging and stuff without losing damage.

Just keep in mind that nothing like this is going to be welcome in groups, so only run group content with friends for low stress.

There are class professions that are "easier". It also depends on what the player is after, it is possible to skim some skills out to make it more easier but it will mean lowering its efficiency and potential. From your context, I'll take it you have PoF expansion. I won't recommend scourge tbh because the traits and skills usually needs the player to set a series of rotation or skills to trigger some effect. Sand shade F1 and desert shroud F5 or extra keybinds is essential. It also comes down to if the player is comfortable with range/melee but do take note, being range does comes with a price and not always makes it the best/safest choice.

Aside from the classes mentioned. I find zerker sword Holosmith can be "easy" after skimming off some skills. Rotation - mashing buttons 1-3, activate F1 to activate photon forge when its ready. Use 2 & 4 when its up, spam auto attack during cd.

But as said, alot of the utility is not used therefore it might not be the best dps but it will make it decent. Or you could pick a class profession, stick and practice till you're better.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Actually it is currently Rifle Deadeye: literally one key rotation (or three, I guess).

>

> F1 into 5 and then 4 until the fight ends (with F1 here and there to refresh mark, 5 to toggle Kneeling when needed).

>

> ;)

It's only single target though, and will get you into trouble even in the personal story. Most encounteres there are groups of mobs that attack you. Also, I wouldn't encourage ranged play, it just teaches you bad habits in this game. As much as I love ranged and kiting, I gave up on it in GW2. If you get into the habit of ranging, you will definitely lack the skill and awareness that high level content requires.

Open world PvE? No contest: Longbow Ranger. Put pet on passive, F1 to soak aggro on hard fights. At half pet health, Troll Unguent. If it gets really low, Longbow 3 to stealth and swap your pet and F1 again to re-acquire aggro to the swapped pet. Pets are insanely tanky in open-world, and with longbow, you'll be able to deal damage safely. I've killed a few map champions half-afk with this setup.

For PvP (I'm assuming you mean sPvP and not WvW), that starts getting a little harder. It really depends on your style and what jives with you, so you'll need to try a lot of things out and go from there with what feels natural and what starts getting you wins until you're more familiar with the game.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> Open world PvE? No contest: Longbow Ranger. Put pet on passive, F1 to soak aggro on hard fights. At half pet health, Troll Unguent. If it gets really low, Longbow 3 to stealth and swap your pet and F1 again to re-acquire aggro to the swapped pet. Pets are insanely tanky in open-world, and with longbow, you'll be able to deal damage safely. I've killed a few map champions half-afk with this setup.

>

> For PvP (I'm assuming you mean sPvP and not WvW), that starts getting a little harder. It really depends on your style and what jives with you, so you'll need to try a lot of things out and go from there with what feels natural and what starts getting you wins until you're more familiar with the game.

Yup, playing only ranged, you will miss out on practising melee mechanics/ little tips and tricks. Then when you do group content, ranged players will be forced into standing at melee range a lot of the times, so get used to it early if you intend to eventually do any dungeons/fractals/raiding. But ranged is still fun.

Another nod for power Daredevil. As said, use staff and just auto attacking is already good dps. As you get better you can add more of the attacks to your normal rotation or as the situation dictates. Use the Signet of Malice for your healing skill and the Invigorating Precision trait in the Critical Strikes trait line, and you can almost ignore your health bar as you will constantly heal for massive amounts.

I would have Pistol / Pistol on weapon swap. This allows you to get out of melee range when you need to and just spam skill 3 as much as you can. Again, for good damage and massive healing. By your explanation, this is exactly what you are looking for.

• 3 months later...

My question is this... if OP is having to start a new toon from scratch (they didn't say), what are the suggestions that can actually be used pre-80, because almost every build here is some type of specialization aside from those who mentioned Ranger. Isn't a core thief pretty tough to level before you access DD or Deadeye?

> @"SilverArrowsMP.2957" said:

> My question is this... if OP is having to start a new toon from scratch (they didn't say), what are the suggestions that can actually be used pre-80, because almost every build here is some type of specialization aside from those who mentioned Ranger. Isn't a core thief pretty tough to level before you access DD or Deadeye?

I found to level a core thief was best with dual pistols spamming 3 and using short bow for mobility/mob tagging at distance if necessary. I've run across many maps doing it to just tag waypoints and grab hero points and had no issues at all with it.