PVErs Expect a Shift

Adry.7512

> @"Adry.7512" said:

> I’ve said this before, but now it seems even more obvious. Expect a focus on WvW and PvP, and please try not to give a huge push back when it happens. Pve has finally reached its perfection and all it needs is just new content with the same blueprint. But WVW and PVP has been starving for a while. And while you may think that Anet doesn’t care about WVW and PVP, you’re wrong; they just needed to put their game on a good platform so it wouldn’t die out. Now expect their focus to shift towards the PvP side because this game really needs it, it’s the only thing it lacks. Regardless of whether pve players complain when it happens, it will happen, so expect it. I’m just excited about what they will come up with.

You just pulled this prediction out of nowhere. I think they call this "citation needed."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > These Raids, perhaps even Fractals are not meant for the Core population

> Devs (based on their actions and statements) seem to have the idea that the endgame for _everyone_ in PvE lies in fractals, and then graduating to raids. And that people that haven't yet reached that point should up their game and try harder. This influences both the attitude of the whole community, as well as the game design. In the end, it's not the community's doing but Anet's, and only anet could change that. Assuming they wanted to, which at the moment they don't.

>

> They don't seem to think the way you do at all.

>

>

I'm not so sure about that...if that was the case then you'd see a lot more fractal and raid development and a lot less open world PvE. imo. Otherwise making such a large investment in new open world PvE would be taking away the desire to push the player base towards that endgame content of fractals and raids. However, the fact they keep coming out with new story chapters and new open world maps tells me a different story, yes, a segment of the community wants more fractals and raids, but a greater number of players want more open world PvE and that is who they're catering to.

This is not them against them. We do not live in the Donald Trump world. I expect arenanet to please as many people they can. I am happy they are finally taking steps to solve the issue of worlds In wvw. I made similar suggestion 3 years ago. I hope they do a rename as world vs world will be not really appropriate and maybe it might spark my interest in this format. But I also expect them to do the same for all formats. This is not us against them. We are one community, we are all important to the health of the game, but some elements are more important then others. This is economy. As long as arenanet makes the most money and has the largest money making potential in PvE, PvE will get the most attention. Do not envy others, be happy with what you have.

> @"Raizel.8175" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Raizel.8175" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"Raizel.8175" said:

> > > > > How has PvE reached perfection?

> > > > >

> > > > > Some classes are still too dominant for endgame-PvE-content. Also, the community in this game is bonkers anyway when it comes to endgame-PvE-content.

> > > >

> > > > You have to understand the game philosophy ... it results in the dominance you see. but I do believe he is right. Anet wants you to play how you want. You can ... and be successful to. It's just a little harder to find people that think like that.

> > >

> > > Which game-philosophy?

> > >

> > > All I see are massive problems concerning the accessibility of endgame-PvE-content which are caused by both the community itself and lackluster game-design/class-balance.

> >

> > Exactly. That's a result of the game philosophy; no holy trinity, play how you want. This frees Anet of the requirement to have classes with equivalent performance. It's the players that make accessibility more difficult because they impose restrictions on themselves under the belief it leads to lower risk of failure. Anet actually LIFTED restrictions to end game content at the beginning of the game with the philosophy ... I can't tell you how many times I've stood around spamming local chat in other games to get a healer or a tank. Unfortunately, Anet slid into a trinity a little again with raids. It's not full blown holy trinity, but it's pushing the limit IMO.

> >

> > Even with that ... they made sure there was enough love spread out to allow various classes to play whatever is necessary to succeed. This makes me recall a thread where 10 necros completed a raid ... and people were criticizing them for it ... so no, it's not Anet or their game design, its players. Players that carry massive baggage who don't want innovation. They grew up on standard MMO pablum ... that's what they want to get fed now they are grown up.

> >

>

> But the game-philosophy did a 180°-turn with the implementation of HoT. You agree with that statement and even Anet stated that the new specializations will be needed in order to beat the new raid-content.

I'm not sure that's an accurate statement. They simply provided tools to people to solve the new content they were adding to the game and did it broadly enough across classes. In addition, there are people out there proving that if you know what you are doing, you don't need those optimal tools to do it ... the philosophy is preserved.

But you said it yourself ... there are two communities. Just make sure you play with the community you fit in and you don't have a problem. That's not a problem Anet can solve. Anet creates content, not kumbaya counseling sessions.

I think the OP is just fearmongering; not sure why. While I think the different aspects of the game have received very different amounts of attention, they all get some and as with any MMO, they all have their proponents. I mean, Anet is dedicated to LS, we know they are adding and changing WvW mechanics, PVP is a periodic event. I see nothing that hints Anet is focusing any more or less on any of those.

> @"xBrutalityx.3507" said:

> PVE is far from perfection, ever since the massive condition damage change. Bring back dps and less condi damage. doing **100kdps** off condition damage is just ridiculous. more love to thiefs please. we can not keep up with the condition damage.

The current best DPS build can maybe reach 45k DPS on a benchmark golem. I'd love to see 100k DPS anything.

People on the official forums...

> @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> > @"xBrutalityx.3507" said:

> > PVE is far from perfection, ever since the massive condition damage change. Bring back dps and less condi damage. doing **100kdps** off condition damage is just ridiculous. more love to thiefs please. we can not keep up with the condition damage.

>

> The current best DPS build can maybe reach 45k DPS on a benchmark golem.

And it would be a power build, not a condi one.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> Ahahahahah, you're funny OP, this will never happen since most of gw2 players (aka most of anet money income) are PVEers, they can (and will) drop some big patch every now and then about PvP and WvW but if they would completely shift their focus on the latters, the game will 100% die.

100% agree.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> > > @"xBrutalityx.3507" said:

> > > PVE is far from perfection, ever since the massive condition damage change. Bring back dps and less condi damage. doing **100kdps** off condition damage is just ridiculous. more love to thiefs please. we can not keep up with the condition damage.

> >

> > The current best DPS build can maybe reach 45k DPS on a benchmark golem.

> And it would be a power build, not a condi one.

>

yeah, that just makes it funnier since the overall perception is that condi does more damage regardless and then you see weaver.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Adry.7512" said:

> > I’ve said this before, but now it seems even more obvious. Expect a focus on WvW and PvP, and please try not to give a huge push back when it happens. Pve has finally reached its perfection and all it needs is just new content with the same blueprint. But WVW and PVP has been starving for a while. And while you may think that Anet doesn’t care about WVW and PVP, you’re wrong; they just needed to put their game on a good platform so it wouldn’t die out. Now expect their focus to shift towards the PvP side because this game really needs it, it’s the only thing it lacks. Regardless of whether pve players complain when it happens, it will happen, so expect it. I’m just excited about what they will come up with.

>

> Don't get your hopes to high, they aren't going to shift around development resources to all of the sudden try and work on WvW and PvP. The resources allocated for those segments are already assigned, same as with PvE, unless they're working on those segments to have a bigger part of the next expansion...which I highly doubt.

Well there was a part of Vabbi that was originally going to have some PvP stuff in it which shows that they were at least experimenting with that type of stuff.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Raizel.8175" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Raizel.8175" said:

> > > > How has PvE reached perfection?

> > > >

> > > > Some classes are still too dominant for endgame-PvE-content. Also, the community in this game is bonkers anyway when it comes to endgame-PvE-content.

> > >

> > > You have to understand the game philosophy ... it results in the dominance you see. but I do believe he is right. Anet wants you to play how you want. You can ... and be successful to. It's just a little harder to find people that think like that.

> >

> > Which game-philosophy?

> >

> > All I see are massive problems concerning the accessibility of endgame-PvE-content which are caused by both the community itself and lackluster game-design/class-balance.

>

> Exactly. That's a result of the game philosophy; no holy trinity, play how you want. This frees Anet of the requirement to have classes with equivalent performance. It's the players that make accessibility more difficult because they impose restrictions on themselves under the belief it leads to lower risk of failure. Anet actually LIFTED restrictions to end game content at the beginning of the game with the philosophy ... I can't tell you how many times I've stood around spamming local chat in other games to get a healer or a tank. Unfortunately, Anet slid into a trinity a little again with raids. It's not full blown holy trinity, but it's pushing the limit IMO.

>

> Even with that ... they made sure there was enough love spread out to allow various classes to play whatever is necessary to succeed. This makes me recall a thread where 10 necros completed a raid ... and people were criticizing them for it ... so no, it's not Anet or their game design, its players. Players that carry massive baggage who don't want innovation. They grew up on standard MMO pablum ... that's what they want to get fed now they are grown up.

>

On the one hand you are correct.

On the other hand while it is possible to dig a tunnel with a spoon a shovel would be preferable.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> This is not them against them. We do not live in the Donald Trump world. I expect arenanet to please as many people they can. I am happy they are finally taking steps to solve the issue of worlds In wvw. I made similar suggestion 3 years ago. I hope they do a rename as world vs world will be not really appropriate and maybe it might spark my interest in this format. But I also expect them to do the same for all formats. This is not us against them. We are one community, we are all important to the health of the game, but some elements are more important then others. This is economy. As long as arenanet makes the most money and has the largest money making potential in PvE, PvE will get the most attention. Do not envy others, be happy with what you have.

I am under the impression GW2 doesn't have general, unified community. This is more like a gathering of individuals. Also, game design pushes players into more conflicts and it only escalated during years. General open world crowd may act chilled but anywhere else game is constantly conflicting players.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > This is not them against them. We do not live in the Donald Trump world. I expect arenanet to please as many people they can. I am happy they are finally taking steps to solve the issue of worlds In wvw. I made similar suggestion 3 years ago. I hope they do a rename as world vs world will be not really appropriate and maybe it might spark my interest in this format. But I also expect them to do the same for all formats. This is not us against them. We are one community, we are all important to the health of the game, but some elements are more important then others. This is economy. As long as arenanet makes the most money and has the largest money making potential in PvE, PvE will get the most attention. Do not envy others, be happy with what you have.

>

> I am under the impression GW2 doesn't have general, unified community. This is more like a gathering of individuals. Also, game design pushes players into more conflicts and it only escalated during years. General open world crowd may act chilled but anywhere else game is constantly conflicting players.

It is some who seek conflict and some who seek union.

> @"Adry.7512" said:

> I’ve said this before, but now it seems even more obvious. Expect a focus on WvW and PvP, and please try not to give a huge push back when it happens. Pve has finally reached its perfection and all it needs is just new content with the same blueprint. But WVW and PVP has been starving for a while. And while you may think that Anet doesn’t care about WVW and PVP, you’re wrong; they just needed to put their game on a good platform so it wouldn’t die out. Now expect their focus to shift towards the PvP side because this game really needs it, it’s the only thing it lacks. Regardless of whether pve players complain when it happens, it will happen, so expect it. I’m just excited about what they will come up with.

As long as they keep the pace at which they release new PvE content (fractal and LW updates have been great recently, raids could be a bit faster but I can live with this level as well), I don't really mind getting changes in the pvp aspects of the game. I don't care about spvp, but I'd be excited about anything wvw-related.

> @"dace.8019" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > Game is 6 years old and has bad reputation for competitive players. There's nothing to fix, that ship has sailed and devs passionate about competitive mode were on that ship.

>

> Can't agree with this enough. The game has almost all the ingredients to be a great competitive game, the realisation of those assets failed them and the damage can't be undone, but at least the game's PvE is excellent and well respected, especially from HoT onwards.

>

> The competitive people have my sympathy but are only fooling themselves if they think ANet will change 6 years worth of direction to revitalise a now dismissed aspect of the game.

>

>

>

Even if they seriously make that attempt what is making everyone think they have the skill set to get the job done right or at all? They have not proven so far that they do, so it remains to be seen what will actually be the outcome of any increased focus on PVP related activities in game. But by all means make all the assumptions you can rather than just wait and see what happens with something NONE of you control in the first place.

I would strongly suggest everyone take a step back and a breath and then try again.