Player-created Cantha expansion ideas

Nash.3974

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

> @"Lonami.2987"

> Hey I really admire your drafts on the next expansion and I basically agree with everything you‘ve said but one thing. I disagree that we do not need new professions

> Imo we desperately need new professions and I don’t think we should get rid of elite specs but just add new classes. And ritualist would still have very unique and own mechanics and a viable role in the game. While they have ashes and weapon spells which could be newly implemented to the game also their ability to summon spirits in a unique way isn’t really replaced by Rev’s new elite spec/Ranger’s spirits or Mesmer’s illusions.

>

> > @"Deathok.2914" said:

> > I agree, the ritualist was definetely the most unique class in this game and by far my most favorite one.

> > I feel like there is plenty of room to bring the ritualist back as an own profession.

> > Maybe when we go to Cantha at some point we could get the ritualist as an own class and maybe assassin as thief’s elite spec with sword off hand or so.

> > However the ritualist would perfectly fit in this game.

> > A perfect mix between support and dps.

> > Summoning spirits are mostly the utility skills and maybe some staff skills, as well as the signet of spirits as elite which summons 3 spirits.

> > F1 skills are for example teleporting your spirits to you or consume ur spirits to heal nearby allies or damage nearby foes.

> > Staff as offensive weapon with channeled strike, essence strike etc.

> > Spirit weapons would easily work as a buff, like more damage, siphoning life, aoe damage or whatever just like they were in Gw1 and maybe even a spirit weapon skill which works like endure pain which allows u to take 0 dmg for 2-3 secs.

> > There is so much room for the ritualist, so many weapon choices…

> > Obviously the usual magician weapons like scepter focus staff etc.

> > But also weapons like torches and swords fit the ritualist perfectly.

> > Furthermore they should also get corruptions since they also had sacrifices in Gw1.

> > It fits perfectly in Gw2 in many ways and it really needs to be an own profession.

> > There is no class like the ritualist in Gw2.

I said that we don't need them (from the game's perspective), but that doesn't mean I don't agree with you. I too would have preferred for elite specializations to be just "new skill unlocks" (that's pretty much what they are now anyway), and get a new profession each expansion. In fact, if you're interested, here's some old ideas for four: (revenant and elite specs wouldn't exist)

* **Watcher:** Soldier, heavy ranger theme similar to those from Lord of the Rings. Bit of martial arts. Good with swords, bows, and spears. Shamanistic connection to nature, instead of the druidic and beastmaster themes you see on the ranger. Can transform into animal spirits.

* **Ritualist:** Scholar, pretty similar to GW1's ritualist, with some occult touches. Doesn't wield weapons, instead they float by his sides, moving when the ritualist moves his hands. Can use occult magic from Abaddon's minions (Flame Legion, Shiro'ken, and Margonites).

* **Duelist:** Fencer-like adventurer, with time-travel and sand themes. His mechanic is the echo, two copies follow him, repeating his actions. The gameplay is about doing combos with your "delayed time" versions.

* **Priest:** Soldier, combines themes from GW1's dervish and monk. Dwarven origin, runic magic, he's a religious blacksmith of sorts.

Allowing equipping different weight of armors to all professions could be a nice addition. That way, your warrior can switch between medium and heavy armor, depending on the situation. It could also allow new weights, specially for priest/dervish, who would need some tunic-like armor badly.

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

> I‘m just saying classes get boring way to quickly even with elite specs. That is why I main revenant because I needed something different and fresh. And while I still love revenant the most and am not tired of it I really wanna experience more classes and more unique mechanics

My major gripe with elite specializations, is that they don't change professions enough. Each one should bring a new mechanic bar, not just minor changes to it. Each one should feel like a new profession, or a secondary profession. See my signature or the links above for redesign ideas.

Adding new wepons to core with this expansion can help with the staleness problems, but in the long term, they should refresh elite specializations, or start thinking about new professions in some way. We can't play with the same skills from 5 years ago forever, it gets old.

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Lonami.2987" said:

> > > @"Nash.3974" said:

> > > So I randomly found this page on wiki.. Can anyone explain where this comes from? Not to mention that I love what it says (while I was hoping that Ritualist becomes a class on its own)

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Lon-ami/Cantha

> >

> > How did you find that? No one was supposed to see it until it was finished :I.

> >

> > If an user hadn't whispered me about how cool the idea was, I wouldn't have noticed this thread lol.

>

> A simple search for "cantha" and filter "everything" shows it as one of the results.

>

> Nothing stays hidden with the wiki search engine.

Damn you search engines!

Some good points, some I absolutely disagree with

Agree:

- Playable Tengus, agree with this, should finally happen, together with Sanctum Cay as new Town and the Dominion of Winds, Sea of Sorrows and some other old EotN Areas as new maps like the Tarnished Coast which is also still now explorable again, which was back in EotN a map full of Tengus if I remember myself back on it

- Fishing (Fishing Rods/Lures), a long overdue Gathering Job, together with Digging (Shovels) and Gardening (Seeds)

- Battlegrounds - PvP must become finally more depthful, BG as a kind of GvG based Mini-WvW would be good and is overdue, bringing with it back the kind of PvP that we know and love from GW1 where it was 8v8, but GW2 having 10v10 would be now the right answer and sounds also better, than 8v8

- Upgrading Core Professions and giving them missing Weaon and Utility Skills, slong overdue and the later should have done Naet the moment on when they decided to give skills categories, they shoudl have immediately used that chance to fill up the made design gaps in the classes by addign the missing skills for more build diversity

- Fitting Good Masteries

Disagree:

- Your Weapon Choices..a Vial is no Weapon..Trident is obsoletre garbage that needs to get merged finally with Staff, same as much as you changed Harpoon Gun into Crossbows, Harpoon Guns are nothing else but just Bolt shooting Rifles..they need to get merged with Rifles. If Crossbows ever become a thing, they should be an own Weapon Type... Scythes are Polearms and basically nothing else than a Spear with a crescent blade (Warscythe!!)

- Disagree with some of your E-Spec Ideas and your weird Weapon Choices.. Assassins with GREATWORDS?? xD Or turning racial lore stuff like Golemancers into a Spec...will never happen or turning classes into somethingn what they aren't (Forgemaster)

What would I have made different in this Concept:

## 6 New Weapon Types:

- **Chain Whip/Sickle** - the real range upgrade of a Scythe!! that makes alot more fun to use) which fits also theme wise to Cantha, a Scythe NOT

- **Chakram** - This game needs finally a Throwing Weapon, which fully supports the whole idea of positioning in this games combat system

- **Halberd/Lance (Spear)** - An overdue weapon Type the Polearm Weapons

- **Crossbow** - now designed as complete own Weapon Type, while harpon guns just get merged into rifles how it shoudl be from begin on...

- **Claws/Cestus** (Brass Knuckles) - A weapon for close range combat combined with martial arts, or can be seen skin wise as magic/combat gloves (Cestus)

- **Greataxe** - another overdue Weapon Type.. we have Greatswords as bigger swords, we have Hammers as bigger Maces, but no big Axes >.>

## 9 Elite Specs/ Complete Revenant Redesign

* Thief -> **Infiltrator (Chain Whip/Sickle)** Assassins will be called Infiltrator Enemies in PvE then, which come from the Am Fah or other Factions.

* Necromancer -> Occultist (Claws/Cestus) The true Ritualists that are Necromancers, the Occultists which share the same theme/origin practically with Ritualists, Enemy Occultists are called then Ritualists

* Mesmer -> **Bard (Shortbow/ Harp Skin)** ANet already had back in GW1 for Cantha originally a Bard Concept, Mesmers are the best choice for this as Spec.

* Elementalist -> **Summoner (Chakram)**, basically combining an old GW1 concept that was also in the planning, like the Bard, with Kingdoms of Amalur Gameplay

* Engineer -> **Alchemist (Axe)**

* Ranger -> **Hunter (Crossbow)** (Rename Dragonhunter to Dragonslayer or Inquisitor)

* Guardian -> **Patron/Knight (Halberd/Lance/Spear)** as the kind of protective knight with mounted combat as part of their gameplay with basically Mounts being their "Pets"

* Warrior -> **Berserker (Greataxe)** (the current Torch Spec Berserker gets renamed to either Mercenary or Savage, or gets completely redesigned with new Weapon Mainhand Shields and becomes Legionnaire!! and torch gets simply baselined into Core Warrior... or used for a later Savage Spec, that returns then in a more interesting way

Revenant/Herold/Renegade becomes now a complete unique profession for Rytlock only in PvE story as part of his character progression over time, otherwise completely removed from the game.

* **Vagabond** (Replacement for Revenant, as a new 9th class, which is better designed to work also with Racial KSilsl like all other classes, is better designed for unterwater combat by following the same design theme of having 1 to 2 weapons for it instead of havign a 2 in 1 weapon that doesnt work well with the overall gameplay concept of the class itself -> **Marauder (Halberd/Spear)** This 9th class beign redesign to be kind of the class dark/rogue/mystic knight type (Dervish Mysticism meant with that)

* Herold Spec becomes **Reaver (Shield)** Spec, **Renegade (Shortbow) stays with its name**, but gets completely reworked to be not 100% charr lore based and based on the old gameplay...

The 9ths archetype class represents basically now the kind of dark themed outlaw/deserteur/veteran that we haven't yet , basically the heavy armored thief/ counter guardian theme style that Anet tried a bit to reach with the design of the revenant, but totally failed it with the gameplay design with all this legendary stance nonsense and Energy

Some Classes will receive then also retroactively due to the Upgrading some of these new Weapon Types baseline, which have currently not so much useable weapons as like Warriors, like for example Thieves receiving from the Upgrade baseline Offhand Swords, Claws/Cestus and Chakrams.

Mesmers receiving baseline Halberds/Spears, ChainWhips/Sickles and mainhand Pistols

Necromancers receiving baseline Halberds/Spears, Chain Whips/Sickles and Claws/Cestus

Elementalists receiving baseline Claws/Cestus and Chain Whips/Sickles. with their whiplike skills gettign replaced like Lightning Whip to this new weapon where it makes sense

Guardians receiving baseline Warhorns and enable them to use Shields also as Mainhand Weapon

Warriors, receiving either Torches baseline or Shields enabled as Main Hand Weapon based on th mentioned changes above and Crossbows. Due to them havign already access to most weapons, they receive the most less additional weapons retroactively from upgradings and the new weapon types and most of the new weapons make anyways no sense with Warriors, except of the Crossbow that woudl work for thenm like a middle thing between Longbow and Rifle with 900 range

However all these changes id do are all only a matter of taste in the end, as they have all to do with class design, where i think for a Canthan based expansions should definetely be implemented other weapon types with specs, that do fit to these weapons, while the underwater stuff just needs to get merged finally with rifle/staff to make the neccessary space for soem of these new weapon types to replace their them

lol, who in their bright mind thought it's a good idea to put ritualist on the revanant, it's clearly a necro elite spec for sword ether hand.

and then the part where a new race is something for a deluxe edition, that would be their downfall.

on the surface it looks well done but i see so many mistakes, better not bother with any of it.

> @"Lonami.2987" said:

> How did you find that? No one was supposed to see it until it was finished :I.

>

> If an user hadn't whispered me about how cool the idea was, I wouldn't have noticed this thread lol. Oh well, we're here anyway, so if you have any feedback on what you see so far, go for it. My current plan for the story is that various Canthan envoys arrive across Tyria, with an invitation. This is the pitch for said invitation:

I'm honestly sorry, I didnt mean to expose you :(

But I also am very impressed with your drafts. I really thought this was an actual concept by anet lul.

Good job on that!!

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > @"SnowHawk.3615" said:

> > really neat fan made stuff

> > but on a serious note:

> > I hope cantha isn't the next part - i hope it's Eotn bc cantha will be their biggest seller and if they push that out first - then noone will care about Eotn to kill Jormag,

>

> I already don't care about killing Jormag. Braham on the other hand...

>

>

lol yeah i get ya'

personally the writers who decided make Braham do a 180 from his over protective papa bear demeanor to a 14 yr old emo kid should be pooped on js.

> @"Hexinx.1872" said:

> Only thing I would suggest that user to change would be the elite specialization for guardian change to paragon, and weapon spear.

Tbh though paragon wouldn’t fit to the Canthan lore.

While I really want a Paragon elite spec it shouldn’t happen with Cantha I guess since usually the elite specs are lore based ?

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

>

> Tbh though paragon wouldn’t fit to the Canthan lore.

> While I really want a Paragon elite spec it shouldn’t happen with Cantha I guess since usually the elite specs are lore based ?

True, just figured as they threw dervish in, may as well get all the oldies back

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> I like it, except for the new weapons selection.

> Come on. What's the obsession with the great axe! Just make them skins for hammer!

> Add something new, like Chain Weapons or Boomerangs, something that plays differently from our actual weapons.

I don't think those kind of weapons would work well, since multiple professions should be able to effectively use them. No point at introducing a new weapon if only one profession will ever use it.

I'd rather get them through kits in an elite specialization, like the assassin idea in there.

> @"Nash.3974" said:

> > @"Lonami.2987" said:

> > How did you find that? No one was supposed to see it until it was finished :I.

> >

> > If an user hadn't whispered me about how cool the idea was, I wouldn't have noticed this thread lol. Oh well, we're here anyway, so if you have any feedback on what you see so far, go for it. My current plan for the story is that various Canthan envoys arrive across Tyria, with an invitation. This is the pitch for said invitation:

> I'm honestly sorry, I didnt mean to expose you :(

> But I also am very impressed with your drafts. I really thought this was an actual concept by anet lul.

> Good job on that!!

>

>

Nevermind, not a lot of people has seen it anyway. How did you find it though? Just curious.

> @"Hexinx.1872" said:

> Only thing I would suggest that user to change would be the elite specialization for guardian change to paragon, and weapon spear.

I prefer spears for the core profession, guardians need more ranged weapons.

My ideal paragon 2.0 would use a two-handed trident, transform into an archangel of sorts, and summon banners. Only reason it's not included with Cantha is that I wanted to add at least 4 new weapon types with the elite specializations, so I'm saving him for a northern expansion, with valkyrie themes.

> @"Lonami.2987" said:

> Nevermind, not a lot of people has seen it anyway. How did you find it though? Just curious.

I looked the Imperial Outfit up on the wiki and on its picture history there was a picture of the outfit with a cool colour pattern and I wanted to copy that and it lead me to your site ^^

• 10 months later...

> @"Hoover.6394" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > You gonna necro every single Cantha thread?

>

> maybe... im super excited here, is that a problem?

You're flooding the front page with old threads and you're pushing new posts down to the second page.

Surely you can be super excited in one thread without burying newer posts?