Pof vs Hot

Zexall.6305

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > > PoF>HoT for one single reason - maps. Maps in HoT are a mess, multiple levels of mess that feels like a giant deathtrap full of holes, traps and deadly enemies every step which are difficult and annoying to navigate through. Some may like this, but not me.

> >

> > Yeah, a giant deathtrap full of holes, traps, deadly enemies...or as I like to call it: "fun!"

> >

> > I can see why these maps aren't universally appreciated, but I love pretty much everything about the HoT maps. Exploration was a blast and finally mastering maps like VB and TD was especially rewarding. Speaking of rewards, HoT seems to have more of them. The events are better, too. Chain events, mapwide meta events. Right down to the metas on timers and event progress markers on the map. It's easy to know where to go and when and there's action and rewards everywhere! Just my kind of map!

>

> The only HoT map that “sucks” is Tangled Depths because of how the map/mini map is woefully inadequate when it comes to accurately dealing with multi-leveled areas. Verdant Brink still works because it really only has two very distinct levels: jungle floor and canopy.

>

> The downfall with the PoF maps is how dead and static they feel. Just like core Tyria. With HoT there is almost always something going on and the maps feel designed to funnel people to those hotspots.

>

>

I wouldn't say the map is inadequate. Between map layer transition icons and transparency you can tell which level an objective is on relative to the layer you're currently on. However, it does appear that some objectives were intentionally displayed on the map without any pathways leading to them. For instance, the veteran mushrooms challenge is on the third layer above Rata Novus lane, but nothing appears to connect to it in any way on the map. I really think they wanted us to explore and find hidden paths rather than just following a map on this one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the new maps sucks pretty bad. HOT maps are way better now thx to the mounts.

When HOT came out I made couple treads about how hard was to get from one corner of the map to another corner without getting killed along the way. Now with the mounts transportation is way easier making these maps more enjoyable.

I see more players in HOT than in POF.

Ive been considering my, very, negative reaction to HoT maps lately. I think that it can be boiled down to three elements:

1) platform(ish) mario-esque elements. Even if not a true platformer, bouncing mushrooms, etc are not my cup of tea. The continjation, expansion upon, these elements in LW3 tainted it for me as well.

2) objective interference. When a friend or guildie needed help with a given event, not being able to get to him in time, or at all, was a bummer. Similarly, having a short amount of time to play and making literally zero progress toward my goal for that play session was off-putting. Now that I have completed the zones, have no actual objectives in them, wandering around just killing mobs, or completing random events as I come across them, isnt as bad as when I was actually trying to accomplish something and the nature of the maps interfered. I still cant help friends or guildies in many cases without using teleport to friend, which is a serious bummer as helping others is what keeps me entertained in between content releases.

3) jungle is one of my least favorite environments. All that green (I am told) just blurs together to someone as green colorblind as I. I tend to prefer stark open spaces in game and real life. Desert, badlands, plains, etc.

I did and do like the mob design in HoT. I would have preferred foes to be a bit more challenging, but what we got was a nice change of pace from core foes.