ArenaNet attending E3 2018

Chilli.2976

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Yukio blaster.9082" said:

> > Like most of you know ANET gonna participate in E3 2018 and I've been wondering, What they probably gonna promote !!

> > What i guess is a new MOBA game based on GW2 combat mechanic's (Hope so, and not some mobile app or game ....).

>

> Please Ilmarinen, no.

>

> If any effort goes into something other than GW2 it will affect GW2 itself. Yes, they will hire new people but they only have a finite number of resources at some levels.

>

They've been hiring for some time already. And yes, new, shiny game means GW2 going on autopilot.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New GW2-based three-in-line game for mobile.

If you link it to a GW2 free account you get a permanent boost, and a bigger one if you link it to a paid account.

You can get skins for GW2 through the mobile, but you need to clear tons of levels for that.

There are also chances (infinitesimal ones) to get BLC keys.

Shoving money into the mobile game makes things extremely easier, so it is almost blatant P2W.

> @"Ragmon.6350" said:

> AHAHAHAHAAAAAA....a PvP game from Anet? They couldn't even get the PvP right in GW2 ever since they started development on it.

> They will just prolly push some promos, advertisement and stuff, nothing special. Maybe a trailer for the next Living Story.

I'm guessing you're just going to ignore how influential the original GW's PvP was and how balanced it was ?

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > @"Draxjon.1790" said:

> > > Holy kitten, i know this is wild and crazy, But what if they announced a new expansion. This instead of being a big content expansion like PoF, This instead is Race expansion. Like Tengu, kodan or other races. Now how they would solve the story timeline i don't know. maybe make itlike allied races in WoW? or you start at lvl 60 and your starting zone goes from 60-70 and then 70-80 or something simillery? I got no clue, but this would be pretty lit if you asked me.

> >

> > They won't add new races, they've already beaten this horse to death in just about every ama.

>

> I'm pretty sure they never gave us definite answer about new races.

I'm fairly certain they have.

Something about taking too much time and effort, having to create new personal stories and making sure all current and future armor works with the rigging. But hey i can't find it at the current time and i'm not willing to search the slow as molasses archives for it.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Yukio blaster.9082" said:

> > > Like most of you know ANET gonna participate in E3 2018 and I've been wondering, What they probably gonna promote !!

> > > What i guess is a new MOBA game based on GW2 combat mechanic's (Hope so, and not some mobile app or game ....).

> >

> > Please Ilmarinen, no.

> >

> > If any effort goes into something other than GW2 it will affect GW2 itself. Yes, they will hire new people but they only have a finite number of resources at some levels.

> >

>

> They've been hiring for some time already. And yes, new, shiny game means GW2 going on autopilot.

Going on autopilot now would not make a lot of sense. HOT required a lot of dev time to create the various systems so the smart thing to do would be to focus primarily on content for several expacks to milk that investment as much as possible. They also just sunk a lot of effort into a mac client (although it still has some tweeks to go) so all that effort would be wasted if they ran off after a new shiny before completing the project and getting the investment back in new users.

for Anet an engine rework would be the better step, it takes loads of time to do such a thing but the benefit outweighs the work to do such a thing.

they can then rework the model implantation system so they can add stuff (skins and such) without to much trouble, add DX11/12, make it more GPU heavy so ppl can play it on weaker computers allot easier, improve the UI so it can be customable, improve both technical, mechanical and graphics in one go, etz...

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > Sincerely hope it is not GW3. Everything invested in GW2 will feel wasted.

>

> Welcome to every online game ever.

You say that like it's normal for an MMO to have a sequel. It's not.

MMO's rarely have sequels, and rightly so, because it would just waste all the time and effort you have invested, which tends to be a lot given how time consuming mmo's can be. There is no World of Warcraft 2, EvE online 2 or Elder Scrolls Online 2 either, and nor should there be.

The only reason GW1 had a sequel at all, is because GW1 wasn't a true mmo, it was a CORPG (Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game). And I use the term "online" loosely, since the entire game can be played solo (with heroes/henchmen) and all zones outside cities are instanced.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > @"Draxjon.1790" said:

> > > Holy kitten, i know this is wild and crazy, But what if they announced a new expansion. This instead of being a big content expansion like PoF, This instead is Race expansion. Like Tengu, kodan or other races. Now how they would solve the story timeline i don't know. maybe make itlike allied races in WoW? or you start at lvl 60 and your starting zone goes from 60-70 and then 70-80 or something simillery? I got no clue, but this would be pretty lit if you asked me.

> >

> > They won't add new races, they've already beaten this horse to death in just about every ama.

>

> I'm pretty sure they never gave us definite answer about new races.

Not _definitive_ per se, but they did have this to say about new races

[GW2 meet and greet](

)

>I asked whether they have even considered adding a new race for PoF. Mike said that no and then added that new races in GW2 are "not impossible but very unlikely" to appear in the future. Implementing them would require a lot of resources that can be spent better on creating new content relevant for all players.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Kyban.4031" said:

> > It would be great to see an engine revamp (GW2.1). It honestly seems like the current engine is so old it is hard to work with and that kind of announcement would be worth an E3 booth. I suspect some features we've been waiting for are difficult to implement well as is (e.g. build templates) so I'd be super exited to see an engine rework including stuff like new netcode, possibility of new features, better (and more optimized) graphics, and an easier engine to work with so they can produce content faster.

>

> While nice a 2.1 is hardly worth a major announcement, that is internal housekeeping. As to old it is not 6 years old yet. While that is "replace your desktop" time it is not "rewrite a multimillion dollar engine" time.

The engine is more than 6 years old. Gw2 runs on the same engine that the original Guild Wars used. In other words Gw2 is using a engine that's over a decade old.

> @"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > > Sincerely hope it is not GW3. Everything invested in GW2 will feel wasted.

> >

> > Welcome to every online game ever.

>

> You say that like it's normal for an MMO to have a sequel. It's not.

> MMO's rarely have sequels, and rightly so, because it would just waste all the time and effort you have invested, which tends to be a lot given how time consuming mmo's can be. There is no World of Warcraft 2, EvE online 2 or Elder Scrolls Online 2 either, and nor should there be.

>

> The only reason GW1 had a sequel at all, is because GW1 wasn't a true mmo, it was a CORPG (Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game). And I use the term "online" loosely, since the entire game can be played solo (with heroes/henchmen) and all zones outside cities are instanced.

>

Im saying that like all online games come and go. Notice that i dont just say mmos. Like every mmo gw2 will come to an end 1 day so i prefer instead of the servers closing to instead have a new begining in gw3 with gw2 exclusive stuff from playing it in its prime.

If theres a continuation it doesnt need to have a number next to it.

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Kyban.4031" said:

> > > It would be great to see an engine revamp (GW2.1). It honestly seems like the current engine is so old it is hard to work with and that kind of announcement would be worth an E3 booth. I suspect some features we've been waiting for are difficult to implement well as is (e.g. build templates) so I'd be super exited to see an engine rework including stuff like new netcode, possibility of new features, better (and more optimized) graphics, and an easier engine to work with so they can produce content faster.

> >

> > While nice a 2.1 is hardly worth a major announcement, that is internal housekeeping. As to old it is not 6 years old yet. While that is "replace your desktop" time it is not "rewrite a multimillion dollar engine" time.

>

> The engine is more than 6 years old. Gw2 runs on the same engine that the original Guild Wars used. In other words Gw2 is using a engine that's over a decade old.

>

>

Well, it's not exactly the same engine; it's a _heavily modified_ GW1 engine. So, you could say more than a decade...or...less than 6 years.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> 3. EA buys Anet

EA is like a giant,slimy, filthy worm, a parasite. It leeches the life force of talented game studios and slowly suffocates them until there is nothing left, so that the investors can buy a new yacht. If this happens to be true(God forbid), I stop playing this game. And not just because of personal hate of EA, but also because I know they will eventually try to milk money out of me in any way possible.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > @"Ragmon.6350" said:

> > AHAHAHAHAAAAAA....a PvP game from Anet? They couldn't even get the PvP right in GW2 ever since they started development on it.

> > They will just prolly push some promos, advertisement and stuff, nothing special. Maybe a trailer for the next Living Story.

>

> I'm guessing you're just going to ignore how influential the original GW's PvP was and how balanced it was ?

Yea and look where we are now, they haven't learned anything from GW1's PvP. RA was my favorite PvP experience ever. I played it for fun and not for Reward tracks.

I think it all boils down if Anet has attended E3 to announce any of their previous expansions. If they have, nothing to worry about. Well, have they?

However, given the major changes to WvW/PvP and the not too distant release of PoF, GW 3 seems unlikely. Possible GW 3 means that GW 2 will become obsolete and desolate place which will cut income for the company. Bad strategy and bad marketing move for someone who wants to make a few bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Why would they go to E3.

1. PoF marketing, maybe something small about upcoming content

2. They have their staff as part of some collaboration thing

3. They are making business model changes (e.g. HoT Play for Free or something similar).

But really I don't see anything earth shattering in there, unless they are already planning on announcing expac 3, but that would be quite the departure from how they handled PoF, and even if this is the case, then at most it is a cinematic trailer and a name. PoF took 18 months or so, meaning it is far too early for anything major on the next expac.