API temporarily disabled (Sept 22-25)

Lawton Campbell.8517

Lawton, is it possible for you guys to have a mirror api web server before big updates? There's a plethora of websites which simply won't work without them, and while I sincerely understand shoot happens in live, it would be cool to have a backup of sorts... at least for static endpoints such as items, traits and skills. There's quite a lot of popular build websites which break without them.

> @cthos.3791 said:

> Hey, thanks for letting us know!

>

> This exposed that I'm not properly handling the API being down in my app which I'm now fixing, and I don't know that I'd have properly caught it if the API didn't explode.

>

> Good luck and remember to take breaks and stuff!

> :+1:

What does your app do btw?

> @Valento.9852 said:

> Lawton, is it possible for you guys to have a mirror api web server before big updates? There's a plethora of websites which simply won't work without them, and while I sincerely understand shoot happens in live, it would be cool to have a backup of sorts... at least for static endpoints such as items, traits and skills. There's quite a lot of popular build websites which break without them.

Bump to this! ^

Quite a few websites are basically unusable without this.

Would be fabulous to have even an outdated mirror, until the new/fixed one kicks in.

> @Vegeta.2563 said:

> > @cthos.3791 said:

> > Hey, thanks for letting us know!

> >

> > This exposed that I'm not properly handling the API being down in my app which I'm now fixing, and I don't know that I'd have properly caught it if the API didn't explode.

> >

> > Good luck and remember to take breaks and stuff!

> > :+1:

>

> What does your app do btw?

It's a mobile character viewer app for iOS. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gw2-assistant/id1206531672?ls=1&mt=8

I open sourced the v1 of it since I'm about 95% done updating the whole thing to Ionic 3, but I don't really have a lot of time to work on it. :/

v1 source is here: https://github.com/cthos/gw2-ionic

> @Valento.9852 said:

> Lawton, is it possible for you guys to have a mirror api web server before big updates? There's a plethora of websites which simply won't work without them, and while I sincerely understand shoot happens in live, it would be cool to have a backup of sorts... at least for static endpoints such as items, traits and skills. There's quite a lot of popular build websites which break without them.

A better solution would be to have some local cache in the API-client for the data that the API-client wants to serve offline (when the API is not responding). An API-client/website should always be prepared that API-calls do not work.

> @"Lawton Campbell.8517" said:

> I broke stuff. Temporarily turned off all of the APIs while I sort out some crashing backend server. Planning on turning it back on ~~today~~Monday with some endpoints disabled (`/v2/colors` and the corresponding `/v1` endpoint, at least). Sorry about the mess.

How's it going? Are you on track to have the API back online today?