Increasing level cap

Deathok.2914

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

> So I was wondering if we should increase the lvl cap to 100 with the next expansion.

> In my opinion always being lvl 80 is very boring and having to level up again at 80 can be fun I think (in form of elite zones e.g).

> Also armor should either be adjusted or newly crafted. I don’t have a problem to craft all new ascended sets… I enjoy the process of progression a lot.

> What do you think?

Quite frankly, this would make me stop playing right there and then. The masteries is the substitute for late game levels. I like this. I will keep liking it. But I will never agree with increasing the level cap. I hate it in other games I would hate it here.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> So why did ANET increase the level cap from GW (20) to GW2 (80) if it's just a number?

Think this way. Level is between 0.00 - 1.00, where 1.00 is level cap and the world is finally yours. Because level is expressed as integer number and not as floating point number, you use some scale factor here. GW2 chose that this C = 80. It gives some finer granularity to scaling things. It would be possible to make a game that shows level just as plain floating point number, and which adds XP linearly to the level until it reaches 1.0. In fact, it would probably be even easier to implement than these common "stepped" systems, which need all kinds of type castings and special cases and extra variables to track progression :)

> I think those people who want the level increase want it because 80 is such an weird number to stop at. Why 80 and not 50 or 75 or 100?

I don't know the reason, and 100 would definitely been very exact number, even indicating that it can not raise (your "level efficiency" is 100% at cap) :) But it is just a number, scaling factor between level 1 and level cap.

Raising a level cap means dropping people backwards. That is, if ANet now raises cap to 100, it means that characters are downgraded to level 0.80 with new C = 100. In general, in any game, level cap raise does not ever bring anything new, but it is just for resetting players and putting them to work again for what they already had. If ANet wants to reset things at some point, yes, maybe then they raise the cap, but it will cause a huge s##tstorm.

Raising the level cap is pointless. What do you gain? You relevel till you reach the new cap then you gear up again and you’re exactly where you were before the cap was increased, because the new maps will be at the new level cap and you’ll be downleveled on the old maps. Masteries are better. At least with them you gain new abilities.

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

> So I was wondering if we should increase the lvl cap to 100 with the next expansion.

> In my opinion always being lvl 80 is very boring and having to level up again at 80 can be fun I think (in form of elite zones e.g).

> Also armor should either be adjusted or newly crafted. I don’t have a problem to craft all new ascended sets… I enjoy the process of progression a lot.

> What do you think?

For me it seems like adding a further 20 levels would not add anything new apart from having to force people to re-craft all their gear. _You_ might be fine to craft new ascended sets but for players with 6/10/15 specialized ascended sets already created, this would be diminishing their investments. As for actual leveling, I could max out my 10 main level 80 characters and still have 300 ToKs spare; no "fun" involved in pumping Tomes.

My suggestion is, if you like leveling, start a new character and experience things from the start. I've done this on an F2P account and it was enjoyable for some time.

The danger of having an increased cap is the impact it would have on the economy as players scramble to obtain the new benchmark armor. Not to mention players who have worked on legendary gear.

Not suitable IMO.