Guild recruitment spam

raykor.6723

this is a big problem even more so now with guilds spamming map chats for the new guild wvw alliance system

from what i can tell so far anet has no set number of people that can be blocked as right now i got about 300 people blocked for spam and just plan bad map chats

so i am in the mind set that you can block as many as you need to block . including guilds with their spamming map chats and so forth .i think the number is very highly set when it comes to the people you can have on your blocked list. and that number what ever it is well past 300 people being able to be blocked .

not sure what the max blocked list number is but pretty sure it is well over 300

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> Would be nice if there were a chat channel for ads (chat,map,guild,party,ads) although enforcement would be a burden.

Not really; it could work like the Trade channel in GW1, where beginning a chat with 'WTS' or 'WTB' automatically moved it to trade, no matter what channel you were in to begin with. It would just have to look for key words like 'recruiting'.

> @"Tzarakiel.7490" said:

> Unless Anet adds an ingame system for advertising and browsing available guilds, you'll have to live with it forever.

Which I wish they would finally do. For something that is, well, part of the name, it feels awfully insane that we have to find out about guilds by searching the web then hoping one we like is both taking new members and active.

They should set up guild recruitment in a system similar to the LFG design. Something that is not in regular chat, but easily accessible. It could have a nice place to explain your guild, contacts to the recruiter/s, pvp, pve or pvx and other misc things. The ability to choose where you want to advertise your guild to any server or world wide. A search for the name of the guild to find it faster. With the ability for players to instantly join if they like what they see. The only restriction would be the NA and EU server split

To make it rotate so its not always the same guilds the message would only run for two days at a time then shut off and have to be ran again two days after that so two days on two days off. This will make recruiting messages a thing of the past. Now in the game a player can still recruit with a message that reads something like this.

Now recruiting for X guild fun guild see details in the guild recruitment area in friends list window, under x server to know more.

This is an in game system that could easily work for everyone

In FF14, I met my first FC by some guy browsing trough some sort of player directory in the game (not even sure what that was called or what the purpose of that was, but you could search for people and get a list as result with several columns of character data) and he looked for maximum levelled players that spoke English without a Free Company (FC, their guilds). Then I used the same system to locate him and secretly watched him hunting mobs while talking to him about his FC and what he is expecting. Then I jumped off the rock I was sitting on and stood in front of him (as 96cm Lalafell in front of a Giraffe Elezen), what freaked him out a bit. It was a very cool and personal FC entry and it was so far the best FC/guild I have been into in my entire life. It was such a pleasure than copy pasted nonsense of faceless mega guilds with no personality.

Excelsior.

• 9 months later...

As a recruiter I'd love if there was a sort of default map chat, for new players that's on/ but can be turned off if they are not seeking a guild.

Then, for open world players without tags - to have in the Guild menu an option to disable or enable ability to receive an invite. So that recruiters do not see - the "invite option" when clicking a portrait.

Another feature I'd like to see is right clicking on player in a menu, the option to add to a DND - do not disturb again list. Sometimes you might whisper someone asking why are they guildless or you just did a fractal or event with them and you might want to invite them, so you ask them first.

Then if they say no due to being anti-social or w./e the reason, instead of adding the person to a block list, to be added to a DND + reason, then you can still speak with them in future + the "invite feature" on their portrait vanishes.

I'd also advise the /GuildMap or /GM to be limited per 1 message a day on a map...

And yes a Guild Search for players would be helpful... it could mention for example bosses guild done in raids, wvw/in new alliance system, how many wvwers and their average combined wvw levels + alliance leaderboard, guild level, guild supported game modes, etc.

Then I'd pay 4k gems, for a feature.... to allow me to "auto post my recruitment /GuildMap message once a day, when I enter a map :P *wink wink* $$ for Anet

> @"raykor.6723" said:

> Is this just something we have to live with? My block list is getting pretty big and it barely helps.

I've only needed to block a few people. Most of them post once per map. Once in a while, I'll see the same (boring) advert in 5-6 maps in a row, following the same meta or boss chain as the recruiter.

It's very rare I see anyone actually _spam_ the message, i.e. multiple times in a single map, within the limits of the spam filters. If it does happen, you can report them and if it's an ongoing pattern, it will come back to bite them.

> @"Nury.3062" said:

> I wonder what does spam even mean for you...Guilds have to recruit in a way or another and map chat recruiting is the easiest,as long as a guild doesn't actually spam it it's ok and as it was mentioned above,there is no system in place for recruiting...so,that's that.

Yesterday I had a person that copy pasted their ad every ~90-120 seconds on the same map for like 3 World bosses. It may not be spamming for some but for me it got pretty annoying. If 1 or maybe 2 other people try to recruit aswell it gets even worse.

> @"Fluxxar.3692" said:

> > @"Nury.3062" said:

> > I wonder what does spam even mean for you...Guilds have to recruit in a way or another and map chat recruiting is the easiest,as long as a guild doesn't actually spam it it's ok and as it was mentioned above,there is no system in place for recruiting...so,that's that.

>

> Yesterday I had a person that copy pasted their ad every ~90-120 seconds on the same map for like 3 World bosses. It may not be spamming for some but for me it got pretty annoying. If 1 or maybe 2 other people try to recruit aswell it gets even worse.

I am a guild leader and have been for 5 years (in a break right now) and ,map chat recruiting is not my style since it gets quantity and i prefer quality but i used it many times,what's more annoying is to see a guild advertising and after a second countless guilds advertise. While i don't agree with spam in general,advertising every 90-120 seconds,in my book is not spamming.

> @"Nury.3062" said:

> > @"Fluxxar.3692" said:

> > > @"Nury.3062" said:

> > > I wonder what does spam even mean for you...Guilds have to recruit in a way or another and map chat recruiting is the easiest,as long as a guild doesn't actually spam it it's ok and as it was mentioned above,there is no system in place for recruiting...so,that's that.

> >

> > Yesterday I had a person that copy pasted their ad every ~90-120 seconds on the same map for like 3 World bosses. It may not be spamming for some but for me it got pretty annoying. If 1 or maybe 2 other people try to recruit aswell it gets even worse.

>

> I am a guild leader and have been for 5 years (in a break right now) and ,map chat recruiting is not my style since it gets quantity and i prefer quality but i used it many times,what's more annoying is to see a guild advertising and after a second countless guilds advertise. While i don't agree with spam in general,advertising every 90-120 seconds,in my book is not spamming.

90 seconds is the upper limit to what i consider spamming, if they post equal or less than that, repeatedly they get reported. if its more than 5 minutes between posts they are quite alright in my book.

> @"Fluxxar.3692" said:

> I wouldn't mind but if the same post is still visible in the chat without scrolling you don't have to re-post it over and over again. Otherwise I don't give a kitten about it.

Not everyone is using the chat box at the same size others might not see more than one at a time if they use a smaller view.

Honestly I think the point has been discussed, but people recruiting for guilds has been part of MMO's since the beginning. Asking for it to change probably won't help. The best you can do is remove map chat from your main chat log if it annoys you that much. Otherwise, personally, I just put in a brain filter on anything that recruits in chat and ignore it.