How come there isnt a RP forum on the official guildwars2 site?

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

>

> MMORPG, i don't think i need to spell that to know it is advertised as an RPG.

Maybe but not all players who play a RPG are deciding to group up with other people and build another story on top of the story provided by the game designers themselves. I would argue that most of us don't, simply because the devs never promised any huge update dedicated to role playing features.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > The new policy is: Less is more.

> > >

> > > Good luck.

> >

> > Do you think they will use that theory for future pricing on xpacks? yes this is a rhetorical question... Feel free to answer anyway.

>

> I don't know; maybe many don't frequent the forums. The Forum policy about sub-forums was stated some time ago here: Less sub-forums offer more to Devs and players.

>

> Sigh.

did you even read what you quoted?

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > The new policy is: Less is more.

> > > >

> > > > Good luck.

> > >

> > > Do you think they will use that theory for future pricing on xpacks? yes this is a rhetorical question... Feel free to answer anyway.

> >

> > I don't know; maybe many don't frequent the forums. The Forum policy about sub-forums was stated some time ago here: Less sub-forums offer more to Devs and players.

> >

> > Sigh.

>

> did you even read what you quoted?

I did. Again, maybe many who post don't frequent the forums, and thus are unaware of the _forum_ policy of 'less is more'. It has, and had, nothing to do with expansions, only about how many sub-forums there would be on these new forums.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

>

> MMORPG, i don't think i need to spell that to know it is advertised as an RPG.

I think many of the younger rpg players have no clue what rpg stands for.

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> >

> > MMORPG, i don't think i need to spell that to know it is advertised as an RPG.

>

> I think many of the younger rpg players have no clue what rpg stands for.

Hmm I would rather argue that the meaning of the word has evolved.

I would like to also add this, for the sake of my own curiosity: how many video games rely on an active RP community, meaning that the devs specifically targeted RP’ers to develop their game, with resources specifically spent on expanding RP features ?

As it stands (to me), it feels like the word RP is too much of a broad concept with players having their own definition of what RP should be, for any dev to actually find a market to develop a game that really supports RP. And honestly, it is not like you actually need a video game to role play.

Tl;dr You have SPvP, WvW and PvE, the three big mountains of the game. In comparison, RP is a mole hill in this game.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> > >

> > > MMORPG, i don't think i need to spell that to know it is advertised as an RPG.

> >

> > I think many of the younger rpg players have no clue what rpg stands for.

>

> Hmm I would rather argue that the meaning of the word has evolved.

> I would like to also add this, for the sake of my own curiosity: how many video games rely on an active RP community, meaning that the devs specifically targeted RP’ers to develop their game, with resources specifically spent on expanding RP features ?

>

> As it stands (to me), it feels like the word RP is too much of a broad concept with players having their own definition of what RP should be, for any dev to actually find a market to develop a game that really supports RP. And honestly, it is not like you actually need a video game to role play.

>

> Tl;dr You have SPvP, WvW and PvE, the three big mountains of the game. In comparison, RP is a mole hill in this game.

PvE is RP, the problem is simply that Anet doesn't do anything to improve the RP side and just let's the game be messy.

this game needs quite an overhaul to improve the RP side but as long as Anet threats this game like an action game with linear story lines it will never get to the AAA level they want to go for.

Lord of the Rings Online is a company that understands what role-players want and how to give it to them, and I think that ArenaNet could learn from what they're doing right.

This is the LOTRO RP forum. As you may note, it has around 600 active threads. Compared to the 2000+ threads of their PvP forum, sure, it's less than a third of the size of that portion of the community, but so what? Those people make purchases from the microtransaction shop for new clothing, emotes, and items to use as stage props for their stories. They're a niche portion of the community, but they're still a portion that the company feels is worth cashing in on.

If you want to get to know their needs, you (as a company) need to give them a space to communicate with each other. Otherwise any attempted updates aimed at the RP community are going to feel out of touch with the playerbase. As a veteran role-player, I can tell you that *no one* I knew was asking for an in game LFG. Why would we? If we want to role-play with someone, we just go looking for it on the forums and join a guild. It's like an LFG, except we have more control over screening the people who join so that it's not full of trolls who just want to waste our time.

Role-players love spending money on worthwhile investments. If there were new emotes introduced into the game, we would buy them in a heartbeat. Anything that adds to the experience and personalizes our ability to portray our characters on screen is fair game. ArenaNet should learn from other companies that do host community space for role-players and gain valuable insight into our spending patterns so that they can cash in on what we want. More communication means that they're more in touch with reality and can more accurately predict which ideas are more profitable to invest their time and money to develop.

Anyway, that's my case for a subforum for role-players.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> > > >

> > > > MMORPG, i don't think i need to spell that to know it is advertised as an RPG.

> > >

> > > I think many of the younger rpg players have no clue what rpg stands for.

> >

> > Hmm I would rather argue that the meaning of the word has evolved.

> > I would like to also add this, for the sake of my own curiosity: how many video games rely on an active RP community, meaning that the devs specifically targeted RP’ers to develop their game, with resources specifically spent on expanding RP features ?

> >

> > As it stands (to me), it feels like the word RP is too much of a broad concept with players having their own definition of what RP should be, for any dev to actually find a market to develop a game that really supports RP. And honestly, it is not like you actually need a video game to role play.

> >

> > Tl;dr You have SPvP, WvW and PvE, the three big mountains of the game. In comparison, RP is a mole hill in this game.

>

> PvE is RP, the problem is simply that Anet doesn't do anything to improve the RP side and just let's the game be messy.

> this game needs quite an overhaul to improve the RP side but as long as Anet threats this game like an action game with linear story lines it will never get to the AAA level they want to go for.

I understand your claim but still.....How is introducing more RP in the game will make the PvE experience less messy ? And what kind of mess are you talking about really ?

Because you not liking PvE as it stands doesn't make it messy.

From an RP point of view, it is messy because there aren't good ways in the game itself to centralize the experience and record info. As Klipso said, "you'll run into a lot of other single players that you never have to interact with" which will fill your screen making RP hard to maintain, and even bothersome to others, because the actual sharding system mix everyone without giving RP any relevance.

Everything helping RP people to stay thogheter and enriching their experience would be greatly appreciated, and surely paid for:

- RP preference toggle for sharding

- Emotes

- Character sheets

- In game designated RP hubs

- Dedicated Forums

Everything helps.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> > > > >

> > > > > MMORPG, i don't think i need to spell that to know it is advertised as an RPG.

> > > >

> > > > I think many of the younger rpg players have no clue what rpg stands for.

> > >

> > > Hmm I would rather argue that the meaning of the word has evolved.

> > > I would like to also add this, for the sake of my own curiosity: how many video games rely on an active RP community, meaning that the devs specifically targeted RP’ers to develop their game, with resources specifically spent on expanding RP features ?

> > >

> > > As it stands (to me), it feels like the word RP is too much of a broad concept with players having their own definition of what RP should be, for any dev to actually find a market to develop a game that really supports RP. And honestly, it is not like you actually need a video game to role play.

> > >

> > > Tl;dr You have SPvP, WvW and PvE, the three big mountains of the game. In comparison, RP is a mole hill in this game.

> >

> > PvE is RP, the problem is simply that Anet doesn't do anything to improve the RP side and just let's the game be messy.

> > this game needs quite an overhaul to improve the RP side but as long as Anet threats this game like an action game with linear story lines it will never get to the AAA level they want to go for.

>

> I understand your claim but still.....How is introducing more RP in the game will make the PvE experience less messy ? And what kind of mess are you talking about really ?

> Because you not liking PvE as it stands doesn't make it messy.

the battle system GW2 has is already a huge mess, then we have the characters being mute till you are in a story where you are supposed to talk but even with that it's just linear without any feadback from the player.

in terms of battle systems they could mix FFXV battle system with vindictus, you still have allot of action but in a more orderly fashion.

in terms of story, they should really look at SWToR, if there is one MMO who did RP story perfect (from my perspective at least) it's how bioware did SWToR.

now mix a part where you actually cast the spells and it feels more alive (so you say the spells), that's already a small step to the right direction.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

>

> I really hope you know how ironic your opinion is.

I said that because when I got into the game, I looked at what kind of content was marketed and promoted. The content I saw was: WvW, PvP and PvE. If I wanted to look for a RP focused kind of game, I would have never gotten into Guild Wars 2. Once again, simple as that.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> >

> > I really hope you know how ironic your opinion is.

>

> I said that because when I got into the game, I looked at what kind of content was marketed and promoted. The content I saw was: WvW, PvP and PvE. If I wanted to look for a RP focused kind of game, I would have never gotten into Guild Wars 2. Once again, simple as that.

Perhaps, but the game is marketed as an MMORPG. The RP in that description means role playing.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > @"flog.3485" said:

> >

> > I really hope you know how ironic your opinion is.

>

> I said that because when I got into the game, I looked at what kind of content was marketed and promoted. The content I saw was: WvW, PvP and PvE. If I wanted to look for a RP focused kind of game, I would have never gotten into Guild Wars 2. Once again, simple as that.

Um . . . you're playing in a fantasy world where you're a fantasy character in a fantasy setting. To the point: In a role-playing game, players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. If we're talking simplicity, it's implied that you know that it's RP based on the game premise itself.

That's kind of common sense, but again . . . irony having to discuss this point.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> > >

> > > I really hope you know how ironic your opinion is.

> >

> > I said that because when I got into the game, I looked at what kind of content was marketed and promoted. The content I saw was: WvW, PvP and PvE. If I wanted to look for a RP focused kind of game, I would have never gotten into Guild Wars 2. Once again, simple as that.

>

> Perhaps, but the game is marketed as an MMORPG. The RP in that description means role playing.

Yes and once again I will repeat myself: you don't have a majority of players indulging in a deeper RP experience than the basic story experience provided by the PS, the living stories and the expansions. Hence the lack of RP official forum subgroup similar to PvE, PvP and WvW. At least, that is my experience.

Edit: one word missing

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I thought (MMO)RPG meant a game where you play the role of the main character, or one of the main characters of the game's story. I was unaware it meant making up your _own_ story. If I had thought that, I might have looked elsewhere. /shrug

Well yes, that is what I was mainly talking about. On occasion, seeing extensive dialogues written by real players in mapchat.

Amazing the amount of hoops someone will jump through to avoid admitting they're wrong. Regardless, welcome to Guild Wars 2: An MMORPG. Again, as far as an RP forum? This debate alone should show why it can never happen. We can't even get someone to acknowledge this MMORPG is an RPG. Instead, let's debate semantics.

And moving on.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> > > >

> > > > I really hope you know how ironic your opinion is.

> > >

> > > I said that because when I got into the game, I looked at what kind of content was marketed and promoted. The content I saw was: WvW, PvP and PvE. If I wanted to look for a RP focused kind of game, I would have never gotten into Guild Wars 2. Once again, simple as that.

> >

> > Perhaps, but the game is marketed as an MMORPG. The RP in that description means role playing.

>

> Yes and once again I will repeat myself: you don't have a majority of players indulging in a deeper RP experience than the basic story experience provided by the PS, the living stories and the expansions. Hence the lack of RP official forum subgroup similar to PvE, PvP and WvW. At least, that is my experience.

>

> Edit: one word missing

I am not sure that majority participation should be the threshhold for support from Anet for a playstyle. I dont have official numbers but I doubt that the majority of the player base is deeply invested in WvW, PvP, or Raids either.

To be clear though, I believe that an outside site, supported by the RP community, would serve better than anything Anet could put together.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> To be clear though, I believe that an outside site, supported by the RP community, would serve better than anything Anet could put together.

Honestly, I agree about that for ALL sub-communities in GW2. Even the ANet devs would rather use Reddit than their own official site.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > To be clear though, I believe that an outside site, supported by the RP community, would serve better than anything Anet could put together.

>

> Honestly, I agree about that for ALL sub-communities in GW2. Even the ANet devs would rather use Reddit than their own official site.

While I see your point I still think an official forum should exist

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > > > > There is no RP forum on official site because the game was never marketed as a RP game. Simple as that.

> > > > >

> > > > > I really hope you know how ironic your opinion is.

> > > >

> > > > I said that because when I got into the game, I looked at what kind of content was marketed and promoted. The content I saw was: WvW, PvP and PvE. If I wanted to look for a RP focused kind of game, I would have never gotten into Guild Wars 2. Once again, simple as that.

> > >

> > > Perhaps, but the game is marketed as an MMORPG. The RP in that description means role playing.

> >

> > Yes and once again I will repeat myself: you don't have a majority of players indulging in a deeper RP experience than the basic story experience provided by the PS, the living stories and the expansions. Hence the lack of RP official forum subgroup similar to PvE, PvP and WvW. At least, that is my experience.

> >

> > Edit: one word missing

>

> I am not sure that majority participation should be the threshhold for support from Anet for a playstyle. I dont have official numbers but I doubt that the majority of the player base is deeply invested in WvW, PvP, or Raids either.

>

> To be clear though, I believe that an outside site, supported by the RP community, would serve better than anything Anet could put together.

Well I believe it so in this particular case, because five years in, it is pretty clear where the priorities of the devs lie in. If this thread request was created in the early development of the game, I would have supported the OP personally.

PvP and WvW are less popular than PvE, true, but here we are five years with automated tournament and a future rework of WvW because that is the content that has been “sort of” supported since the launch of the game.

You are right about external websites developed by RP guilds and they already exist if I am not mistaken.