If no new weapons will be introduced into the game, how about...

I'm always in favor of ANet breaking tropes with skins. They did a little of that in GW1 and (so far) less in GW2.

In theory, each "weapon" is a magical item that focuses profession skills, so there's no particular need for a "greatsword" to look like a big sword. It could look like an Axe. Or a scepter. Or a snake.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> I'm always in favor of ANet breaking tropes with skins. They did a little of that in GW1 and (so far) less in GW2.

>

> In theory, each "weapon" is a magical item that focuses profession skills, so there's no particular need for a "greatsword" to look like a big sword.

**It could look like an Axe. Or a scepter. Or a snake.**>

Wouldn't that require skill animations?

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > I'm always in favor of ANet breaking tropes with skins. They did a little of that in GW1 and (so far) less in GW2.

> >

> > In theory, each "weapon" is a magical item that focuses profession skills, so there's no particular need for a "greatsword" to look like a big sword.

> **It could look like an Axe. Or a scepter. Or a snake.**>

>

> Wouldn't that require skill animations?

Sure. I just mean it's not required by the rules of Tyria to look like a Greatsword. It might be easy in terms of design effort or (more likely) tricky.

Still, we've seen musically-themed weapons. I imagine that the designers are clever enough to come up with actual musical instruments as weapons, too (perhaps a flute as a scepter or a banjo as a short bow).

We did get a couple of these at one point: the candy cane hammer, the sling-shot shortbow. In GW1, most of the trope-busting designs were existing skins repurposed to fit another weapon (e.g. daggers used as focus items or as a shield). Much easier in GW1, because, as you suggest, the skill animation requirements were more modest.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> I'm always in favor of ANet breaking tropes with skins. They did a little of that in GW1 and (so far) less in GW2.

Agreed. I was impressed by Touch of Madness for this very reason. It's minimalist and eccentric, all in one.

Much depends on the original weapon, I think. For instance, there are many possibilities for foci, but I find it more difficult to re-imagine axes in a substantial way.