Will the GeForce gtx 1050 ti be enough?

I'm planning on building a new computer I can use for gaming as well.

I'll go for that setup:

Gigabyte b250m-d2v mainboard

Intel i7 7700 3,6ghz

8gb ddr4 ram

600w Xilence PSU

500gb ssd & 500gb Hdd & 1tb hdd

AAAAAND

Nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 ti

I might switch Mainboard around for one that supports overclocking and get an Intel i7 7700k 4,2ghz, but that depends on the budget.

I know how CPU heavy gw2 is, I think I'm okaishly covered on that side (correct me if I'm wrong!!!)

But will a GeForce gtx 1050ti be enough?

A 1050ti should be fine for 60Hz Full HD, if you want 144 Hz it will probably struggle. But in many cases the CPU will be the limiting factor. Even a 8700k@5 GHz with 4266CL17 (and tuned subtimings) DDR4 RAM will still fall down to 30 FPS at tequatl

RAM speed is very important for GW2 (can be +20% FPS compared to average RAM), so dont buy the cheapest. But you have to look at which RAM speed your mainboard supports.

But generally the game is very poorly optimized, even when no other players are around the FPS can drop below 60 on a beast computer

> @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> Nvidia GTX 1080 Armor, 8 GB

> Intel® Core™ i7-8700K

> 16 GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB ssd 500gp Hdd

>

> FPS stays over 60 in group events too.

OP asked if the 1050ti was enough, not what rigs random users have and their anecdotal fps.

1050Ti is enough for low-medium setting for sure and maybe even high, *but is it worth it*? Prices are all over the place but a quick look at newegg yields the 1060 3gb for like $50 more. Thats ~+50% or more performance over the 1050ti 4gb. 3gb or 4gb is pretty irrelevant at that range. If one want something good and somewhat more future proof one need to go up to 1070 min. But then prices skyrocket.

Graphics card prices are all over the place right now cuz people are hyped about mining in crypto currency with them, might be worth seeing if the prices settle down a bit in a couple months, particularly with the current legal questions over it going on

> @"Cifrer.6013" said:

> Graphics card prices are all over the place right now cuz people are hyped about mining in crypto currency with them, might be worth seeing if the prices settle down a bit in a couple months, particularly with the current legal questions over it going on

This is a slight misconception. It's because memory prices are up that force graphics cards to go up (virtual memory on them and all). Furthermore, the push for SSDs as standard even for office equipment has bogged down similar factories. Not forgetting to mention of memory on every stupid slight iteration of mobile devices...

Miner's is just an easier target to understand to gamers since they're buying up graphics cards and not necessarily memory (which is expensive as suggested above in case people forget) or SSD's (ex. samsung 850 pros haven't really dipped too much even after 960s have launched).

> @"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:

> > @"Cifrer.6013" said:

> > Graphics card prices are all over the place right now cuz people are hyped about mining in crypto currency with them, might be worth seeing if the prices settle down a bit in a couple months, particularly with the current legal questions over it going on

>

> This is a slight misconception. It's because memory prices are up that force graphics cards to go up (virtual memory on them and all). Furthermore, the push for SSDs as standard even for office equipment has bogged down similar factories. Not forgetting to mention of memory on every stupid slight iteration of mobile devices...

>

> Miner's is just an easier target to understand to gamers since they're buying up graphics cards and not necessarily memory (which is expensive as suggested above in case people forget) or SSD's (ex. samsung 850 pros haven't really dipped too much even after 960s have launched).

TLDR: I wouldn't buy a brand new card 1060+ until 2020. 1050ti is fine for GW2 where CPU is more important anyway. Also why is this a quote and not an edit?

A 1050Ti will be more than fine for 1080p or less as far as gw2 is concerned. Scource: My mother runs a 1050ti and can run gw2 on max settings at 60hz. Besides with the current market prices a 1050Ti is literally the best performace per dollar card.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

>If one want something good and somewhat more future proof one need to go up to 1070 min.

Recommending a 1070 for "future proofing" is bad advice. GPU choice is going to primarily dictated by the monitor resolution and refresh rate. A 1060 6gb (note 1060 3gb have a throttled chipset) will render literally anything at 1080p 60hz with no difficulties. The only reason you could ever justify a 1070 is if you have either 144hz monitor or 2k monitor.

Also going expensive is terrible advice for future proofing. Even if a card has excessive amounts of raw power, it'll still age just as fast as weaker cards since game engines are typically only optimized around the latest architecture. It's almost always better to buy midrange and upgrade more often.

> @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> Intel i7 7700 3,6ghz

tbh, I'd recommend a 7700k even if you aren't going to overclock, the 7700k is not much more expensive over 7700 and the 7700k has a significantly higher base clockspeed (4.2ghz) and a lot of programs gw2 included love clockspeed. Do note that 7700k run warm, so you'd want a decent cooler. My recommendation would be a Cyrorig H7, or for overlocking headroom a Scythe Mugen.

> @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> Nvidia GTX 1080 Armor, 8 GB

> Intel® Core™ i7-8700K

> 16 GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB ssd 500gp Hdd

>

> FPS stays over 60 in group events too.

>

>

Maybe if you turn some settings like character model quantity and quality down. Maxing everything and never dropping below 60 FPS is not possible, even if you would overclock that 8700k and RAM to hell with liquid helium

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > Nvidia GTX 1080 Armor, 8 GB

> > Intel® Core™ i7-8700K

> > 16 GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB ssd 500gp Hdd

> >

> > FPS stays over 60 in group events too.

> >

> >

>

> Maybe if you turn some settings like character model quantity and quality down. Maxing everything and never dropping below 60 FPS is not possible, even if you would overclock that 8700k and RAM to hell with liquid helium

I'm sorry but that's just hyperbole. A 1080 with a 8700k will absolutely run this game flawlessly even at 2k+ resolution. Heck I get 90 fps with a 7700k + 1060 6gb at 1080p resolution. As much as people like to moan about this game not being multithreaded, we are reaching the point where the sheer power of modern rigs are making the lack of multithreaded optimization irrelevant.

> to hell with liquid helium

FYI liquid helium is not used in computers, unless you mean LN2 which is only used for overclocking world records and never in practical applications.

(proof: https://imgur.com/a/7Rpes) I have a 1080ti@ 2GHz, 8700k@5GHz and 16 GB DDR4 RAM overclocked to 4266 CL 17-17-17-28 (and about every other subtiming changed too). You will definitely drop below 60, in extreme cases below 30 FPS (Karka Queen, mass of players + poorly optimized map). I even have Spectre/Meltdown fixes deactivated and no anti virus or any other junk background program that could steal CPU cycles.

Sure the game plays fine, but it is impossible to have constant 60 FPS with current tech, especially if you set all the settings to the maximum.

And yes liquid Helium is definitely used for overclocking, just rarely because it is a lot more expensive than nitrogen. Depending where you buy the liquid helium it can cost 50x the price of liquid nitrogen and it evaporates faster than nitrogen because lower heat capacity, so you need more of it.

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> A 1050Ti will be more than fine for 1080p or less as far as gw2 is concerned. Scource: My mother runs a 1050ti and can run gw2 on max settings at 60hz. Besides with the current market prices a 1050Ti is literally the best performace per dollar card.

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> >If one want something good and somewhat more future proof one need to go up to 1070 min.

> Recommending a 1070 for "future proofing" is bad advice. GPU choice is going to primarily dictated by the monitor resolution and refresh rate. A 1060 6gb (note 1060 3gb have a throttled chipset) will render literally anything at 1080p 60hz with no difficulties. The only reason you could ever justify a 1070 is if you have either 144hz monitor or 2k monitor.

144hz monitors and 2k are incredibly common, to the point of being budget gaming today (it's not premium until you go VA/IPS at the same res and hz). When I say future proofing, this is mostly about memory amount. When the graphics card hits it's limits it's gonna choke and often it choke hard, depending on the game. 3gb isnt *really* enough today. Neither is 4gb. Is it terrible? No. But either way you want 8gb or more on your card. Which lo and behold... is 1070 or higher. That's what I mean.

Regardless, buying a graphics today is terrible unless you are forced to (like, your computer exploded and you have no other). I am **really** hoping Nvidia launch a new generation within the next couple of months - even if its just an intermediary die-shrink or optimisation of the GTX10xx series. The market is a mess. All signs point to dissappointment.

If you're going to be mostly gaming on it I would suggest getting an 8600k over a 7700 or even a 7700k. The 8600k is equal to and sometimes better than a 7700k while being a lower price, it's lower in price than even a 7700, cheapest motherboard+8600k is about 50$ cheaper than a 7700+motherboard, and the difference will be greater if you decide on a 7700k+motherboard that supports overclocking. The money saved there can be used to upgrade your RAM from 8gb to 16gb or to go towards a GTX1060 6GB.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > A 1050Ti will be more than fine for 1080p or less as far as gw2 is concerned. Scource: My mother runs a 1050ti and can run gw2 on max settings at 60hz. Besides with the current market prices a 1050Ti is literally the best performace per dollar card.

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > >If one want something good and somewhat more future proof one need to go up to 1070 min.

> > Recommending a 1070 for "future proofing" is bad advice. GPU choice is going to primarily dictated by the monitor resolution and refresh rate. A 1060 6gb (note 1060 3gb have a throttled chipset) will render literally anything at 1080p 60hz with no difficulties. The only reason you could ever justify a 1070 is if you have either 144hz monitor or 2k monitor.

>

> 144hz monitors and 2k are incredibly common, to the point of being budget gaming today (it's not premium until you go VA/IPS at the same res and hz).

144hz and 2k are neither common nor budget. Stop confusing enthusiast fads with what the larger market. You can get 60hz IPS panels for far cheaper than you can get either 144hz or 2k.

60hz 1080p is the standard. Unless the OP specifically wants a 2k or 144hz monitor there is absolutely no call to be recommending graphics hardware for such monitors.

>When I say future proofing, this is mostly about memory amount. When the graphics card hits it's limits it's gonna choke and often it choke hard, depending on the game. 3gb isnt *really* enough today. Neither is 4gb. Is it terrible? No. But either way you want 8gb or more on your card. Which lo and behold... is 1070 or higher. That's what I mean.

A 4gb vram 1050TI has more than sufficient vram for the next several years. There are only a couple titles on the market right now that even have the potential to max out a 4gb card. Besides every game has on the market has a separate texture slider specifically so that users can tune their settings to match their vram.

> Regardless, buying a graphics today is terrible unless you are forced to (like, your computer exploded and you have no other). I am **really** hoping Nvidia launch a new generation within the next couple of months - even if its just an intermediary die-shrink or optimisation of the GTX10xx series. The market is a mess. All signs point to dissappointment.

eh 1050ti isn't unreasonably inflated. It's when you jump to 1060 that the price inflation goes bonkers. Although I feel for AMD fans cause AMD card prices are insane at every level. Even the 550 cards are inflated.

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> If you're going to be mostly gaming on it I would suggest getting an 8600k over a 7700 or even a 7700k. The 8600k is equal to and sometimes better than a 7700k while being a lower price, it's lower in price than even a 7700, cheapest motherboard+8600k is about 50$ cheaper than a 7700+motherboard, and the difference will be greater if you decide on a 7700k+motherboard that supports overclocking. The money saved there can be used to upgrade your RAM from 8gb to 16gb or to go towards a GTX1060 6GB.

Coffee Lake builds are not cheaper in anyway. 8700k is generally 20-40 USD more than a 7700k, and z370 mobos are also typically 20-30 USD more than their kaby lake counterparts. It's also much easier to find sales for kaby lake CPUs and mobos. Moreover coffee lake CPUs are only better for gaming titles that are optimized for multicore, and there just are not many titles out there that do that. GW2 absolutely will prefer a 7700k over a 8700k. Oh and you will need to spend more on cooling hardware if you go for Coffee Lake thanks to Intel cramming 6 cores in a tiny 1151 socket.

• 8 months later...

> @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> Thanks for all the input guys. My monitor is rather old so it's not about 4k or HD :)...

> I think I will go for the 1050 ti than and stay with the i7 7700k, cause gw2 profits from single core performance rather good, so the 7700k with 4,2 GHz is nice as it is :)

So, how does your 1050ti runs the game?

> @"shoegaze.3482" said:

> > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > Thanks for all the input guys. My monitor is rather old so it's not about 4k or HD :)...

> > I think I will go for the 1050 ti than and stay with the i7 7700k, cause gw2 profits from single core performance rather good, so the 7700k with 4,2 GHz is nice as it is :)

>

> So, how does your 1050ti runs the game?

I have a 1050ti and a I7 7700 3,6GHz... I run the game with everything on max except shadows and reflections (Which are both turned off)... I get an avarage 50fps in area with lots of people with the only exception being if I'm on a 3-way on SMC with 3 blobs or world bosses, where my FPS drops to 30ish or lower. Pretty sure I could lower some of the video specs and get a better fps, but I don't feel the necessity as I'm usually above 60fps when there aren't many players around (And I'm usually not in mobs of players).

I decided on a 1060 instead and I run it with gsync and 75fps constantly.

I also have a 8600k I overclocked to 4,6ghz on all cores instead of an 7700k.

In big events/loads of players it goes down sometimes, but I've never seen the FPS being lower than 25.

I have all settings maxed, character model and limit high and I run reshade as well.

i run on an intel integrated graphics. seems ok. 40 fps roaming on wvw, 20fps on WvW zergs or on PvE massive events, lesser on major towns/pvp waiting area. on AutoDetect.

i have good nvidia card installed tho. i just use it when i feel like using it. but i almost never use it. ill be using it probably when i get the proper monitor.

> @"zionophir.6845" said:

> > @"DerJoker.9081" said:

> > Afaik, all the playerrelated stuff is handled by the cpu, so it would make sense that u can get 40fps with the integrated GPU...

> >

>

> but a GPU is still better. All I'm saying @ integrated graphics, the game is still playable.

He is saying that the quality of the GPU does not matter as much since the main bottleneck for this game is and will be the CPU.