what is the point of the new mastery?

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Knopa.8460" said:

> > So the mastery is not as useless as you bois wanna have it to be..

>

> Yeah you're right its not useless, its just trash...

>

I don't know I've used it a couple of times. This is more useful to me than a mastery that only works in one zone and the guild hall, for example, in that it can be used everywhere I can use a mount. It's saved me some annoyance on a couple of occasions already.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> I’ve used it a few times. I’m hoping it’s just a first step to getting some mount combat abilities with content designed for it down the road.

I like this idea. If we get more mounted combat skills then this could become more useful. If not then at least it's manually activated so we can ignore it except on the rare occasions it's useful, and hopefully we'll get better masteries later on.

Although I suspect Living Story masteries are intentionally designed to either be only useful in that episode's map or very limited in their use, so people can't complain that they're forced to buy story chapters they missed just to get the mastery.

> @"Knopa.8460" said:

> I sometimes pass bigger mob groups fast and getting kicked from mount in that situation is very anoying. With the new skill i have 20k hp on Mount wich reduces the possibility significantly.. So the mastery is not as useless as you bois wanna have it to be..

This.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> I've found it useful on several occasions already to get past groups of mobs without dismounting.

>

> I don't know how people call this the 'most useless' mastery, when we have masteries that don't give you any gameplay changes, like the volatile magic collection mastery (wow a mastery to be able to collect orbs whose sole purpose is to be collected).

We had the equivalent in season 3 with unbound magic for ep 1 so I was not TOO surprised they did the same with volatile magic. I just was expecting them to give us a real mastery in ep 2, even if it was just useful in a couple of zones.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > I've found it useful on several occasions already to get past groups of mobs without dismounting.

> >

> > I don't know how people call this the 'most useless' mastery, when we have masteries that don't give you any gameplay changes, like the volatile magic collection mastery (wow a mastery to be able to collect orbs whose sole purpose is to be collected).

>

> We had the equivalent in season 3 with unbound magic for ep 1 so I was not TOO surprised they did the same with volatile magic. I just was expecting them to give us a real mastery in ep 2, even if it was just useful in a couple of zones.

personally I find this mastery more usefull than termal tubes....

yeah sure termal tubes allowed you to cover some routes on soem of maps like really fast, but in the end I use mounts much more often than I need to use termal tubes and I run throught big groups that includes ranged mobs also much more often than that.

altho I am kinda still sad that my favourite mastery from S3 was locked to that single map... :/

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > > I've found it useful on several occasions already to get past groups of mobs without dismounting.

> > >

> > > I don't know how people call this the 'most useless' mastery, when we have masteries that don't give you any gameplay changes, like the volatile magic collection mastery (wow a mastery to be able to collect orbs whose sole purpose is to be collected).

> >

> > We had the equivalent in season 3 with unbound magic for ep 1 so I was not TOO surprised they did the same with volatile magic. I just was expecting them to give us a real mastery in ep 2, even if it was just useful in a couple of zones.

>

> personally I find this mastery more usefull than termal tubes....

>

> yeah sure termal tubes allowed you to cover some routes on soem of maps like really fast, but in the end I use mounts much more often than I need to use termal tubes and I run throught big groups that includes ranged mobs also much more often than that.

>

> altho I am kinda still sad that my favourite mastery from S3 was locked to that single map... :/

Which one? There were several that were only used on a single map.

I am surprised the extra downed skill from Doric did not get more attention. I find it to be HUGE. It can be used all over Tyria and has gotten me out of scrapes more than once.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > > > I've found it useful on several occasions already to get past groups of mobs without dismounting.

> > > >

> > > > I don't know how people call this the 'most useless' mastery, when we have masteries that don't give you any gameplay changes, like the volatile magic collection mastery (wow a mastery to be able to collect orbs whose sole purpose is to be collected).

> > >

> > > We had the equivalent in season 3 with unbound magic for ep 1 so I was not TOO surprised they did the same with volatile magic. I just was expecting them to give us a real mastery in ep 2, even if it was just useful in a couple of zones.

> >

> > personally I find this mastery more usefull than termal tubes....

> >

> > yeah sure termal tubes allowed you to cover some routes on soem of maps like really fast, but in the end I use mounts much more often than I need to use termal tubes and I run throught big groups that includes ranged mobs also much more often than that.

> >

> > altho I am kinda still sad that my favourite mastery from S3 was locked to that single map... :/

>

> Which one? There were several that were only used on a single map.

>

> I am surprised the extra downed skill from Doric did not get more attention. I find it to be HUGE. It can be used all over Tyria and has gotten me out of scrapes more than once.

>

>

the sirens one :|

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > > > > I've found it useful on several occasions already to get past groups of mobs without dismounting.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't know how people call this the 'most useless' mastery, when we have masteries that don't give you any gameplay changes, like the volatile magic collection mastery (wow a mastery to be able to collect orbs whose sole purpose is to be collected).

> > > >

> > > > We had the equivalent in season 3 with unbound magic for ep 1 so I was not TOO surprised they did the same with volatile magic. I just was expecting them to give us a real mastery in ep 2, even if it was just useful in a couple of zones.

> > >

> > > personally I find this mastery more usefull than termal tubes....

> > >

> > > yeah sure termal tubes allowed you to cover some routes on soem of maps like really fast, but in the end I use mounts much more often than I need to use termal tubes and I run throught big groups that includes ranged mobs also much more often than that.

> > >

> > > altho I am kinda still sad that my favourite mastery from S3 was locked to that single map... :/

> >

> > Which one? There were several that were only used on a single map.

> >

> > I am surprised the extra downed skill from Doric did not get more attention. I find it to be HUGE. It can be used all over Tyria and has gotten me out of scrapes more than once.

> >

> >

>

> the sirens one :|

Ah, the one so useless I did not bother to get. :)

This is a TRULY dumb mastery. Why would I ever want to go **straight into** the downed state instead of being dismounted?? If there are enough mobs to dismount you as you whiz past, then there are enough mobs to (guaranteed) finish you off from the downed state. At least, dismounted, you can fight, heal, stealth, blink, block, reflect, stun, etc. I worked hard to max my masteries. And I'll pick up whatever ridiculous new skill they put in the game to stay that way (did this one just last night). But what a waste of time this is.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> Well, there's some cases where you're going through a patch with lots of ranged mobs, you can use the skill to get a heal in the mount and avoid getting dismounted.

> Of course there's a chance you die if you take too much damage. It's one of those things where you have to weigh the pros and cons. As far as masteries go it isn't the best, but it's nice to get more mount skills regardless.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> My mounts usually don't take enough damage to die - but when they do, I usually find I'm dismounted because of that one hit before I exit combat. This trait helps me keep my mount so I'm not swamped down in NPC's.

>

> I'd call that a win.

Precisely. There have been many times where I was on my mount, being hounded by ranged enemies, and only needed a bit more health to jump/glide to safety. If I were to get dismounted, I'd be put in combat, unable to re-mount, and in a precarious situation for easy pickings. Now I can just pop the mastery and continue on without worry. I pretty much only use it when I'm confident that my mount, and thus I, will not become downed. It's kind of like a fail-safe.

I'm not saying it's the _best_ or most widely-used mastery we've gotten, but I can see and appreciate its niche use.

Edit to add: As others above have mentioned, this mastery may likely be the first step in filling out the skill bar while mounted. It's not a full-on heal, but close enough.

You just have to love MMO forums:

"There's too much power creep, stop giving us all this power" becomes "this is the dumbest thing ever, it didn't give me any power" as soon as an update hits that doesn't add to the power creep. The next thing you know, someone will be complaining that the CS sells too many cosmetic items or something...

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > you found this mastery useless? HoT and season 3 says hi.

>

> I am guessing you did not get the extra downed skill? That thing has saved my life more than a few times.

Not to mention that it's pretty much the only Downstate cc mesmers have (Fractal Avengers say hello).

But to be fair, it was pretty much the only mastery that has any use outside LW3 maps. I much prefer this trend that adds universally useful things.

Really pointless mastery and a waste of ressources.. when i saw it getting asvertised in the trailer, that we get a new mastery, I was in hope, that it is somethign useful, somethign fun, somethign that really completements this game and makes it somehow better than before, that feels rewording at the moment as you achiev it.. and then.. this...

it would have been at least a meaningful kind of somehow useful achievement, if it would do at least, exactly what its description say - otherwise correct the irritating description that are clearly an error here, cause they say somethign totalyl different out, than what the mastery exactly does ..

When a description for a mastery like this says out basically, that the health pool of my mount and the health pool of its Rider get together, then I do expect from such a mastery exactly also THIS - means if my Mount has like 10000 HP and I have like 20000 HP, that I have as a character with this earned Achievement then while riding on my mount instead of the lousy 10000 Hp actually then 30000 HP, so that I can survive on my mount riding through dangerous territory just longer, so that there is actually NO NEED for a total obsolete Heal Skill slot being added, what is actually in fact what this mastery does do.

It just adds a very risky heal skill, which feels more like a stupid punishment tio the player, as you get downed when using this heal skill, to basically replace temporarely the heal pool of your mount with yours and if the damage you receive meanwhile brings you down to 0 you get downed, instead of just thrown off of your mount as usual, like manx others before me have already mentioned it.

It would have been much better for this game and the fun factor of using mounts, if this trait would actually really do, what it's mastery description says it does... Because there is really absolutely no need to add a useless healing skill slot, when you can do the same proactively with just raising the terribly low health pool of our mounts through this mastery by doing just SIMPLE MATH with the health pools of both - you and mount as in 1+1 = 2

Why the need to add extra an obsolete Heal Slot? Proactive Play that requires Palyer SKill/Good Positioning with your increased Health Pool is always better, than reactive Gameplay, with that you need to heal you up, just so that you don't die on your mount in a situation, where it's tiny health pool alone would not be enough to make it alive out of a situation.. like that poison corridor for saving a skritt in one of the current episodes missions, which would be impossible to do without that mastery, cause you'd be already dead with your mount, before you are even at all half way back out of that corridor >.>

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > you found this mastery useless? HoT and season 3 says hi.

> >

> > I am guessing you did not get the extra downed skill? That thing has saved my life more than a few times.

>

> Not to mention that it's pretty much the only Downstate cc mesmers have (Fractal Avengers say hello).

>

> But to be fair, it was pretty much the only mastery that has any use outside LW3 maps. I much prefer this trend that adds universally useful things.

This. Gliding and that mastery were the only good ones to come from HoT.

If you want to classify the Core mastery points as useful(lol) then all of HoT masteries became useless after PoF. Or when their map came out of relevance during the season.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Celldrax.2849" said:

> > like we all thought it would be initially.

>

> I didn't assume anything about the skill, not even that it would be related to mounts. We do you think "we all" has the same thoughts?

"_Aurene has granted you the ability to temporarily share your health pool with your active mount_"

I admit, I did forget about that "temporarily" part in the description, but I wouldn't have thought it was a manually activated skill with a three whole minutes of cooldown. I think it would've been much more useful as an emergency backup that fully replenishes the mounts HP upon reaching zero.