Let’s discuss the GW2 Economy

I've played computer games from the time home computers were first available. I've seen a lot of economies and besides EVE online, GW2 has the best economy hands down. Developers, don't change a thing about it. Release what you want and let the market price it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are actually complaining that stuff is affordable now?smh, OP is probably upset that he didnt manage to sell some of his hoarded stuff before it was reintroduced. Why should a backpack cost 10k? Or are people just upset they lost their prestige as owners of legacy items? The memory boxes were a nice way to rei troduce old stuff for newer players, albeit in form of lootboxes with 80% worthless kitten in them, like blc but at least it scared hoarders who were holding stuff ransom for unreasonable amounts of gold

Only some people are complaining, and they are the ones who used to sell stuff for truckloads of gold and now cant anymore.

You wont see many people who are normally buying stuff from the TP complaining.

But regardless, the TP is a dynamic market, which means it will always be changing as supply / demand criteria changes, and thats exactly what you would expect

when there is a major change in the game like an expansion.

If you are really clued up, you should be able to figure out prior to an expansion being released how it will affect the economy.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> Only some people are complaining, and they are the ones who used to sell stuff for truckloads of gold and now cant anymore.

> You wont see many people who are normally buying stuff from the TP complaining.

> But regardless, the TP is a dynamic market, which means it will always be changing as supply / demand criteria changes, and thats exactly what you would expect

> when there is a major change in the game like an expansion.

> If you are really clued up, you should be able to figure out prior to an expansion being released how it will affect the economy.

>

That's not completely true. I'm a casual small-time trader and make most of my gold from PVE. But I do not enjoy this deflation from supply glut, at all. Nothing that I get as a reward excites me anymore because the thrill of getting a rare drop is gone when their values have raced to the bottom.

God it was just 6 or 7 months ago when people would call out Orichalcum/Ancient Wood spots in map chat! Now they're so common that I often skip past them.

> @"Mister Asdasd.6194" said:

> People are actually complaining that stuff is affordable now?smh, OP is probably upset that he didnt manage to sell some of his hoarded stuff before it was reintroduced. Why should a backpack cost 10k? Or are people just upset they lost their prestige as owners of legacy items? The memory boxes were a nice way to rei troduce old stuff for newer players, albeit in form of lootboxes with 80% worthless kitten in them, like blc but at least it scared hoarders who were holding stuff ransom for unreasonable amounts of gold

I don't think most complaints are coming from people who thinks a backpack should cost 10k gold. Even among hoarders/investors there are a lot of players who think these items need to make a comeback from time to time and without previous warning to keep speculation at bay ... the real problem is on how brutal these comebacks have been looking for certain items.

The jetpack needed a comeback and it had it. As soon as memory boxes were reintroduced, it went from 9k gold to about 400, and since then it has kept dropping in price. Right now it's at about 100 gold on direct pruchase / 70 gold on buy order, which is about the price it had some years ago when it was a content drop and gold was far more valuable. and almost surely will keep going down as long as memory boxes remain in game.

It was pretty much a luxury skin at the time and now it goes for about the same price of any random gemstore packpack, and as happy I might be after getting mine for less than 100 gold a couple of weeks ago, I don't think it's a good idea to plummet exclusive item prices so hard.

Look at, for example, Mini Karka. It went for about 3k gold for a long time and now it's at 40 gold on direct purchase.

It probably shouldn't cost 3k gold but definitely neither 40. Whatever random ugly gemstore mini goes for about 100 gold. The hydra head minis from the last living story release are close to those 40 gold each while still being fresh content (so they will likely go up as the content gets deserted).

And it's not like ANet doesn't like overpriced items either. PoF came with at least 3 minis which are so ridiculously elusive that go for over 1k gold while still available and without any sort of collection to make them more desired / valuable than what they are.

Or the Knight Cores ... They were pricy and could use a comeback, and ANet reintroduced them through the nightmare fractal, which was OK. It was a hit to speculation, made the backpacks more affordable (maybe even too affordable for my taste) and introduced a nice to have drop to the fractal. This would have allowed them to play around the droprate of these items to somewhat control the item supply and make the fractal content more appealing as needed.

There was absolutely no need to include them on the memory boxes and make them pretty much a trash item, and there wasn't any need either to include the gift of blades (something that uses 15 tier 7 mats) for such a low price.

And about the BLC drops, it's kinda crazy to see any bloodstone kit dye goign for less than 10g and any bloodstone set weapon averaging about 20-25 gold (all that on direct purchase). Those prices are far lower than what they used to be when the items were released.

Look at the classic exotic minis. All plummeted. Forgeable yellow minis guaranteed on BLCs, direct purchases through BL miniature tickets, eggs ... Checking the miniature state by value, we have those PoF elusive ones I mentioned before, the BLC exclusive ones, the grindy halloween ones, the latest tiers of BL raptor/jackals and then a plethora of gem based black lion ones ... the exotic classic minis which used to be pricey (only the jackalope somewhat holds), most ingame tradeable minis, fall behind that.

It's perfectly fine to reintroduce items, to combat heavy hoarding and speculation and make things more affordable for the players who missed the chance to get them, but this trend the game is experiencing on which many of the goodies we got in the past get suddenly downgraded to trash is also kinda demoralizing ... the goodies of the present will eventually become the goodies of the past, and if the trend continues, why put effort on getting some pricy minis / skins / whatever unless we are truly interested on using them? Why not just wait?

All the guesses behind that question are incredibly annoying from a completionist point of view.

> @"Sombra.3246" said:

> There are few things I think they can do to help fix the economy.

> These are things they should remove from the Black Lion Chests that are having effect on the economy:

> 1. Remove dyes from common or uncommon drop!

> 2.  Remove Season 1 Memory Boxes

> 3.  Remove Large Crafting

> 4.  Remove Heavy Crafting Bag

> 5.  Remove Black Lion Material

> 6.  Remove Toy Miniature Eggs

>

> Another action that can be taken to help boost the economy is to give players more stuff to craft that will use more uncommonly used materials. The crafting has been heavily concentrated on Mithril and Elder Wood. There are so many other materials that could be used that people have a lot of and never use like silver or gold.

> There has to be stuff in the game that will allow players to use their materials to make cool stuff without having to farm endlessly for them.

I would agree that there could be some additional recipes utilizing some less used materials. The reason many recipes focus on Mithril and Elder Wood is because those are the highest tier raw materials and also hugely abundant as many people salvage _Fine_ and _Masterwork_ items at level 80.

I like the idea of utilizing silver/gold and other Jeweler materials into Huntsman/Weaponsmith/Artificer recipes as Jeweler is generally underused due to the ease of access to ascended trinkets.

The crafting materials from BLCs are insignificant due to the quantity they come in and are rarely the reason players open BLCs.

Your point about exclusive items, investing in them and how the economy is being ruined by their re-introduction is subjective. I understand that speculators will often buy up these items but ANet has no obligation to keep them exclusive so the risk is always there. Remember - the health of the economy is not determined by your personal wealth.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > @"preacher.9370" said:

> > if anything with BLC's, they need to nerf droprates for total makeovers, hair kits, upgrade extractors and transmutation charges.

>

> They should at least check if you have unlocked the permanent tools.

Yes, please. I thought about sending Support a friendly note about that after I got a hair kit after having my hair contract soulbound . .