Got hit mid-dodge. Anyone know what skill this is? Is it bugged?

coro.3176

Doesn't it sort of go against the fundamental combat design of GW2 to have a skill hit mid-dodge? I get why DH pull hits (because you were already hit by the spear in the first place and are tethered) and I get why Line of Warding hits (because it's a physical obstacle that you can't go through), but this appears to be some normal mesmer attack...

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> Well was that mid dodge? You even slowed down the footage and it's clearly hitting just as your feet touch the ground again.

That was mid-dodge. The evade frames last a bit longer than the landing jump animation.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> that one is shockaura. you hit someone that has a shockaura with a mine. that is why rune of surging is pretty good in some cases. so its not them hitting you but you stunning yourself by hittim him.

Hmm. That could be it, although I think I was far enough away. If so, I still don't think it should be interrupting my dodge. IMO, you ought to be able to dodge procs like that.

Yeah, that's shock aura on any of the enemy players, either shared by an Ele or with rune of surging. If you hit them while it's up, you get stunned. It will also interrupt skills like Blurred Frenzy from mesmers and unrelenting assault from revs, even though that's supposed to evade :)

Is a bit annoying... -. -

> @"coro.3176" said:

> It's close, but it's still within the dodge frames. The evade lasts slightly longer than the asura flip animation.

Wouldn’t have made a difference as shocking aura is a 1s stun, you’d be dead regardless. Also shocking aura works through evades, classic example is using shocking aura to interrupt blurred frenzy even though you’re evading in blurred frenzy which is yet another very crucial difference between a true invulnerability and evades, invulnerability gives 0 fudge what is going on, you’re immune to it, end of.

> @"guildabd.6529" said:

> Dodge has short delay before actual evade frames. Only mirage dodge is truly instant.

Is this true? I always thought it was lag on my side.

I see stuns and bursts coming but often get hit start/mid of my dodge.

My dodge animation seems to have begun on my screen but i get hit.

Also like the warrior's greatsword 5 rush, I often have to dodge way before he reaches me to avoid the damage. If I dodge just as he reach me before the upswing, I get hit.

> @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > @"guildabd.6529" said:

> > Dodge has short delay before actual evade frames. Only mirage dodge is truly instant.

>

> Is this true? I always thought it was lag on my side.

No, dodges are instant, the internet is not.

What you're seeing is a laggy players successful strike arrive late. As in they hit you before you dodged, but the server notifies you late so animations aren't synched.

I personally ran into this a ton during HoT playing Dragonhunter. I'd oftimes pull someone off a wall, see them land, but then leash back up to the wall. Reason? successful evade/stabo from a laggy player.

Yeah. I get that. I guess I take issue with the "interrupts dodge" effect of shocking aura.

It used to be a sort-of unwritten rule of GW2 combat that dodge evades ALL attacks (except the aforementioned pull and line, but again, 1 you were already hit by, and 2 is a physical obstacle). Combat used to be more tactical in that you could plan a few steps ahead and make decisions like:

"okay, I'm under attack 1vs4, but I have 2 dodges and heal up. I'm going to dodge twice, put some distance between me and the opponents, then use healing turret, then blast the water field for a bit more heal. That should keep me alive long enough to rocket boots toward the keep."

Instead, that plan is interrupted by something I don't really have control over - a ground aoe. I'm guessing this also happens with any other pre-existing ground aoe, like traps or pulsing ground fields.

I don't know. It just strikes me as wrong, like it goes against how GW2 combat was supposed to work in the first place.