Guild Wars 2 translated into Brazilian Portuguese

> @"zengara.8301" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > It is frustrating when I see people who obviously either don't realize how difficult and time consuming something they want would be to create or just don't care.

> >

> > When it comes to game developing an ongoing game like this time=money. Plus they would need to hire a new person just to work on the translation. It is not practical by any means.

>

> What frustrates me more, is a person acting like they realize how difficult and time consuming it would be. I am not saying it would be easy or low cost, just saying it doesn't make sense to be against the idea when you literally have no idea.

> Some comments on this thread is also rather.......ignorant? There are comments that do refuse the suggestion and answers in a correct manner (A-Net said no, because the major languages with highest income etc...) But other comments are simply smug responses. And that is where I am different I guess, I am not potentially losing anything nor gaining anything if A-Net decides to put the language in......So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

>

> In short: It is ok to not have opinions on stuff you are not sure about.....Not only is it ok, if you have an opinion about a subject you are clueless in.......I wont get into details, but you get the notion

So the money to pay for the language implemintation will be taken from what thin air?

It will cost and that cost have to bet cut away from something else they are doing costing you the something else they are working on mate.

> @"zengara.8301" said:

> > It is frustrating when I see people who obviously either don't realize how difficult and time consuming something they want would be to create or just don't care.

> >

> > When it comes to game developing an ongoing game like this time=money. Plus they would need to hire a new person just to work on the translation. It is not practical by any means.

>

> What frustrates me more, is a person acting like they realize how difficult and time consuming it would be. I am not saying it would be easy or low cost, just saying it doesn't make sense to be against the idea when you literally have no idea.

> Some comments on this thread is also rather.......ignorant? There are comments that do refuse the suggestion and answers in a correct manner (A-Net said no, because the major languages with highest income etc...) But other comments are simply smug responses. And that is where I am different I guess, I am not potentially losing anything nor gaining anything if A-Net decides to put the language in......So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

>

> In short: It is ok to not have opinions on stuff you are not sure about.....Not only is it ok, if you have an opinion about a subject you are clueless in.......I wont get into details, but you get the notion

Implying I have no idea what I am talking about.

> @"zengara.8301" said:

I'm not against the idea; I don't agree it would be a good use of limited ANet resources.

> So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

Because we do have some idea of what would be involved.

I don't have a problem with people asking for a feature, especially one that could open up a new market. I don't agree that the public should leave misleading or false statements unchallenged, when those statements are offered in a public forum. I'm sure we're all clueless about one or more aspects of what it takes to provide text in another language, what it takes to organize and maintain a robust, crowd-sourced evolving document (such as fan-translated database of dialogue would entail), or what it takes to maintain the game in the existing languages.

Still, we can enumerate many of the potential issues, just as easily as we can name some of the benefits. It makes sense, in a public discussion, to include both the pros and cons of an idea. Partly so people understand why ANet might say no and partly so that people wanting ANet to change their mind can figure out the things that a proposal would need to address.

I'm with you that people shouldn't just be contrary. Or hostile. Or disparage the suggestion or the person making it. All the same, there's no reason to disparage people who offer some insight into what else might be involved.

tl;dr it's great to offer suggestions to ANet, and those who do should accept that criticism can be constructive.

And in this particular case, we actually have some good ideas about why this good idea might be impractical for ANet to implement any time soon.

Brazil has one of the largest MMORPG communities in the world, as well as being one of the largest consumers in this industry. The Brazilian community is present in all MMORPGs that exist, including in the Eastern servers of the games that are being launched daily. Ignoring the Brazilian public is a big mistake.

It is worth mentioning what the company behind Dauntless is doing with the game, offering translation of the game in Portuguese and they are even seeing the possibility of putting a localized host.

Many Brazilians stop playing Guild Wars 2 because the game has no translation. I believe that GW2 and Arenane would have much to gain from this translation. The population of the game would increase a lot (after all Brazil has one of the largest MMORPG communities in the world), consequently the fanbase would increase and gain new consumers.

We are not asking for a localized host, we are asking only for a translation. **Dubbing does not interest us either**. Our order is simple and I'm sure it would bring more earnings than expenses.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"zengara.8301" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > It is frustrating when I see people who obviously either don't realize how difficult and time consuming something they want would be to create or just don't care.

> > >

> > > When it comes to game developing an ongoing game like this time=money. Plus they would need to hire a new person just to work on the translation. It is not practical by any means.

> >

> > What frustrates me more, is a person acting like they realize how difficult and time consuming it would be. I am not saying it would be easy or low cost, just saying it doesn't make sense to be against the idea when you literally have no idea.

> > Some comments on this thread is also rather.......ignorant? There are comments that do refuse the suggestion and answers in a correct manner (A-Net said no, because the major languages with highest income etc...) But other comments are simply smug responses. And that is where I am different I guess, I am not potentially losing anything nor gaining anything if A-Net decides to put the language in......So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

> >

> > In short: It is ok to not have opinions on stuff you are not sure about.....Not only is it ok, if you have an opinion about a subject you are clueless in.......I wont get into details, but you get the notion

>

> So the money to pay for the language implemintation will be taken from what thin air?

> It will cost and that cost have to bet cut away from something else they are doing costing you the something else they are working on mate.

No lol. THIS^ is exactly what I am referring to.

The "cost" is literally because time consumption, in other words, if there are enough Portuguese in the game, it would be an waiting income....not a cost. Each team are independent, they have already given a good indication, that their business model is made from both a vertical and horizontal work share in a deep organisation and with control spreads....They work on different subject to perform the job.....If you get WvW things fast, it is simply because the team that worked on that part is better, or less work to get results. Not because they all stopped doing Raids, PvP, Fractal designs etc......to design w/e wvw thing came up that week.

I am an economist, just kinda pisses me off when people guesstimate stuff they have no clue about......It is not a random workshop that was created with 5 people, please do not randomly assume and force others to know less, even though they think they learned anything from you.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"zengara.8301" said:

> > What frustrates me more, is a person acting like they realize how difficult and time consuming it would be. I am not saying it would be easy or low cost, just saying it doesn't make sense to be against the idea when you literally have no idea.

> I'm not against the idea; I don't agree it would be a good use of limited ANet resources.

>

> > So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

> Because we do have some idea of what would be involved.

>

> > In short: It is ok to not have opinions on stuff you are not sure about.....Not only is it ok, if you have an opinion about a subject you are clueless in.......I wont get into details, but you get the notion

> I don't have a problem with people asking for a feature, especially one that could open up a new market. I don't agree that the public should leave misleading or false statements unchallenged, when those statements are offered in a public forum. I'm sure we're all clueless about one or more aspects of what it takes to provide text in another language, what it takes to organize and maintain a robust, crowd-sourced evolving document (such as fan-translated database of dialogue would entail), or what it takes to maintain the game in the existing languages.

>

> Still, we can enumerate many of the potential issues, just as easily as we can name some of the benefits. It makes sense, in a public discussion, to include both the pros and cons of an idea. Partly so people understand why ANet might say no and partly so that people wanting ANet to change their mind can figure out the things that a proposal would need to address.

>

> I'm with you that people shouldn't just be contrary. Or hostile. Or disparage the suggestion or the person making it. All the same, there's no reason to disparage people who offer some insight into what else might be involved.

>

> tl;dr it's great to offer suggestions to ANet, and those who do should accept that criticism can be constructive.

> And in this particular case, we actually have some good ideas about why this good idea might be impractical for ANet to implement any time soon.

Yeah that is where we agree, I am just a lot more against the notion of people who try to create these illusive company models, and how a company should be ran. When they are waaay off target. I mean look at how the discussion forum is made, A-Net clearly have stated time and time again that they are working in teams, yet people believe fully on that A-Net works on 1 thing at a time, further more.....That is the biggest excuse for not doing w/e on the forums......

Again, I cold care less for the implementation of this particular language, but I just dont mentally understand the people who do and try to convince others that companies are ran like this.

> @"zengara.8301" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"zengara.8301" said:

> > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > It is frustrating when I see people who obviously either don't realize how difficult and time consuming something they want would be to create or just don't care.

> > > >

> > > > When it comes to game developing an ongoing game like this time=money. Plus they would need to hire a new person just to work on the translation. It is not practical by any means.

> > >

> > > What frustrates me more, is a person acting like they realize how difficult and time consuming it would be. I am not saying it would be easy or low cost, just saying it doesn't make sense to be against the idea when you literally have no idea.

> > > Some comments on this thread is also rather.......ignorant? There are comments that do refuse the suggestion and answers in a correct manner (A-Net said no, because the major languages with highest income etc...) But other comments are simply smug responses. And that is where I am different I guess, I am not potentially losing anything nor gaining anything if A-Net decides to put the language in......So why even responding to it? If they decide that it will create a bigger income to use Promotion target on a country, it would benefit the income etc........

> > >

> > > In short: It is ok to not have opinions on stuff you are not sure about.....Not only is it ok, if you have an opinion about a subject you are clueless in.......I wont get into details, but you get the notion

> >

> > So the money to pay for the language implemintation will be taken from what thin air?

> > It will cost and that cost have to bet cut away from something else they are doing costing you the something else they are working on mate.

>

> No lol. THIS^ is exactly what I am referring to.

> The "cost" is literally because time consumption, in other words, if there are enough Portuguese in the game, it would be an waiting income....not a cost. Each team are independent, they have already given a good indication, that their business model is made from both a vertical and horizontal work share in a deep organisation and with control spreads....They work on different subject to perform the job.....If you get WvW things fast, it is simply because the team that worked on that part is better, or less work to get results. Not because they all stopped doing Raids, PvP, Fractal designs etc......to design w/e wvw thing came up that week.

>

> I am an economist, just kinda pisses me off when people guesstimate stuff they have no clue about......It is not a random workshop that was created with 5 people, please do not randomly assume and force others to know less, even though they think they learned anything from you.

You have to pay someone to do the work, and you pay employees with money. Money is limited, this means money is spent on what is thought to bring in more of it. Currently Brazilian Portuguese is not one of those. Why? Latin America is only 4-5% of the market share for games as a whole, and the majority of global Portuguese speakers are in Brazil. This means at best ~2% of the market speaks Brazilian Portuguese. Compare that to North America (mostly the US) which sits at ~25%, or China around 25-26%, or Europe/Africa ~25% too. These regions mostly speak English, Chinese, and French. German is another language due to Germany being a large spender on games. Being a large country doesn't matter when another country with less than half the population spends 4 times as much on games.

> @"breno.5423" said:

> Brazil has one of the largest MMORPG communities in the world, as well as being one of the largest consumers in this industry. The Brazilian community is present in all MMORPGs that exist, including in the Eastern servers of the games that are being launched daily. Ignoring the Brazilian public is a big mistake.

>

> It is worth mentioning what the company behind Dauntless is doing with the game, offering translation of the game in Portuguese and they are even seeing the possibility of putting a localized host.

>

> Many Brazilians stop playing Guild Wars 2 because the game has no translation. I believe that GW2 and Arenane would have much to gain from this translation. The population of the game would increase a lot (after all Brazil has one of the largest MMORPG communities in the world), consequently the fanbase would increase and gain new consumers.

>

> We are not asking for a localized host, we are asking only for a translation. **Dubbing does not interest us either**. Our order is simple and I'm sure it would bring more earnings than expenses.

This is almost the exact argument the Russian community gave, nearly word for word, and it was still a solid "No" from ANet.

English is an easy language to learn, and its the world's most used language aswell, people in my country needs to stop running from it and simply accept that the world has much more to offer if you can understand it.

My gf has been wanting to play this game for a really long time now, and she can barely understand some words in english, i've been teaching her whatever i can ever since but not only because of the game, but because i'm 100% sure that in the near future, after college, she will need it not only to get more out of the games she like, but for her personal and professional life aswell.

> @"zengara.8301" said:

> >

>

>

You do realize this request comes up like clockwork, right?

Most forum regulars already know the responses from anet, which is what really matters at the end of the day. They have said no and there is not much that can be done at that point on the subject. You have two alternatives: convince them to look at their decision again (know that all your arguments were used n times before) or come up with an alternative to reach your goal that does not rely on asking them to do anything at all.

• ArenaNet Staff

As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

>

> More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

>

So my hopes of Klingon localization are now crushed? Hab SoSlI' Quch! :lol:

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

> >

> > More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

> >

>

> So my hopes of Klingon localization are now crushed? Hab SoSlI' Quch! :lol:

jIQoS!

I was thinking: Why not have the game set out some kind of tag with each line of dialogue, so that then a third party add-on can use that to call up fan-made subtitles? (Some kind of naming tag has to exist already, so the game knows what lines to play and when.) Then players could wait for translations and use the ones from groups they trust to get it right.

But... First of all, that's a lot to translate, and how long would it take? Second, that's going to add to the clutter on the screen, blocking more of the player's view. That's not good. And what about when multiple people are talking? Suddenly the "simple" idea is a complex mess, and that's only for the spoken parts. Getting into the text makes it even worse. And what if a translator gets something wrong, and screws up an important bit of information? Should ANet have to provide customer support to cover that?

There really is no easy way to do this, just slow and expensive ways. It becomes a question of Money Spent vs Money Gained.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> I was thinking: Why not have the game set out some kind of tag with each line of dialogue, so that then a third party add-on can use that to call up fan-made subtitles? (Some kind of naming tag has to exist already, so the game knows what lines to play and when.) Then players could wait for translations and use the ones from groups they trust to get it right.

>

> But... First of all, that's a lot to translate, and how long would it take? Second, that's going to add to the clutter on the screen, blocking more of the player's view. That's not good. And what about when multiple people are talking? Suddenly the "simple" idea is a complex mess, and that's only for the spoken parts. Getting into the text makes it even worse. And what if a translator gets something wrong, and screws up an important bit of information? Should ANet have to provide customer support to cover that?

>

> There really is no easy way to do this, just slow and expensive ways. It becomes a question of Money Spent vs Money Gained.

I though Gaile. speaking for Anet was quit clear 'nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.'

Time to close this thread!

> @"Blude.6812" said:

> I though Gaile. speaking for Anet was quit clear 'nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.'

Nor am I asking for them to. I'm just stating the thoughts I had when I tried to approach the "easy" way with fan subtitles. If you think about it, it's not easy or simple at all.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> > @"Blude.6812" said:

> > I though Gaile. speaking for Anet was quit clear 'nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.'

>

> Nor am I asking for them to. I'm just stating the thoughts I had when I tried to approach the "easy" way with fan subtitles. If you think about it, it's not easy or simple at all.

As I mentioned, the mods just need to close this thread. It's be answered clearly--it's not going to EVER happen.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

>

> More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

>

frustrating

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Hyoga.1034" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

> >

> > More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

> >

>

> frustrating

But that is the decision, based in part on statistical information provided in this thread and readily available in general on the Internet, plus our own awareness of our products, our community, and our business.

We *do* understand the desire, and we *do* respect the request, but this request is not something we can fulfill.