Pot of Soup

SNS.8713

I've never posted in the forums but this challenge is one of the worst things I've come across in the game and I'm against seeing anything else like it. It feels like game designers getting together and coming up with ways to frustrate players. Good game design it is not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Georgiana.8014 said:

> Update: All right, so about a week or so ago, I finally managed to complete this challenge after just 2 or 3 tries. I assume the game devs fixed it, because before, I consistently tried it over 40 times and I had absolutely no success.

Sometimes it is just a matter of luck. If it happens to alternate between ingredients on opposite ends of the room you will be more likely to fail.

I actually enjoyed this one. I got it on the 2nd try and then again for my girlfriend later who was having far more trouble than I was.

The tips I can offer you are to zoom all the way out, and hold ctrl to see all the names of the ingredients from afar, rather than having to run to look/memorize.

> @Tawniey.3796 said:

> I actually enjoyed this one. I got it on the 2nd try and then again for my girlfriend later who was having far more trouble than I was.

> The tips I can offer you are to zoom all the way out, and hold ctrl to see all the names of the ingredients from afar, rather than having to run to look/memorize.

or Options -> Show All Usable Object Names

also useful for stuff like chests in dry top.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually liked this Mastery ALOT. It's so unique and the VA for the chef cracks me up. I felt it hit the fine line between "alright, this is totally doable", "where is the thing!?" and "GAH, I MESSED IT UP!".

Very reminiscent of old school games where you had to adapt and survive, and so rewarding once completed.

I enjoyed this mastery. It took me some tries to get it done but overall it was fun.

And like many of the people already suggested, take your time to learn where most mats are located.

Don't throw as soon as you get the mats and don't panic that you are running out of time.

Try to be as close to him as possible before throwing.

And never throw while he is moving. (Turn ground targeting for spells so you can aim better).

> @YoukiNeko.6047 said:

> I enjoyed this mastery. It took me some tries to get it done but overall it was fun.

> And like many of the people already suggested, take your time to learn where most mats are located.

> Don't throw as soon as you get the mats and don't panic that you are running out of time.

> Try to be as close to him as possible before throwing.

> And never throw while he is moving. (Turn ground targeting for spells so you can aim better).

IKR.. I mean, w.tf? :/

Do so many people really want: **Brain-Dead-Sit-My-Cat at the Keyboard-to-play for me-Easy-Mode?**

It took me like 5 or 7 tries. Once I got a pretty good feeling for where stuff was at, I was able to be **VERY JOHNNY ON IT!**

And the chef was so comical! I loved it! <3

There are enough "commune with this place of power" type of easy mode mastery points, go do those if a _little_ challenge is too much for you.

Anet please don't nerf this; I found it most enjoyable! :+1:

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> Just saw some guardian spam "Save Yourselves!" at the chef. That was hilariously ineffective, since it also made the chef run faster (and harder to hit).

Save yourselves is a self-buff. Allies lose conditions, but the chef shouldn't be under cripple so it should make no difference. Did you mean "Retreat!"?

• 1 month later...

I like the concept of this quest...but for people not in the USA, latency has a massive impact on being able to do it. Most of the time he says "I am waiting" but I have no dialog (written or verbal) of what he has asked for, until it is too late. The target gets blocked by the tables and baskets and can be delayed by latency so you miss often. He moves a lot (which is again delayed visually from latency) so you miss again. add this plus what others have said make it a total fail no matter how many times I have tried. Please do something to make this feasible.

> @"lchristineh.3214" said:

> I like the concept of this quest...but for people not in the USA, latency has a massive impact on being able to do it. Most of the time he says "I am waiting" but I have no dialog (written or verbal) of what he has asked for, until it is too late. The target gets blocked by the tables and baskets and can be delayed by latency so you miss often. He moves a lot (which is again delayed visually from latency) so you miss again. add this plus what others have said make it a total fail no matter how many times I have tried. Please do something to make this feasible.

Pretty old topic you dug up.

Weird.. I have 300+ ping all the time and I done this on second try. Your problem might be ping spike or something.

It's not really that much of a problem that you can't get this mastery though. PoF have enough mastery for you to skip this one. And try it again when your connection is more stable.

I did this the day of the expansion and though it took me a couple tries I completed it, I found it pretty fun and different to just climbing a mountain or gliding to a ledge! It was frustrating though so I get why people hate it. My advice I guess would be to try and memorize the place of all the ingredients and then throw to where he is walking, not where he was stood when he asked. You can actually take your time a little bit as long as you don't throw the wrong ingredients.

> @"SNS.8713" said:

> It's little things like this which make an otherwise really fun expansion frustrating.

>

> We have to get 10 ingredients, with shoddy aiming and it's just not fun.

>

> Can we please have this reduced to 4 or 5 ingredients.

>

> I don't mind a challenge, but this Mastery Point challenge just isn't fun.

I had some difficulty with this, but once I knew where the ingredients were, it became a whole lot easier.

I play with action cam and controller, which often makes aiming hard...I just made sure to run to chef and only throw when he stops moving.

I enjoyed it

• 3 weeks later...

So I was getting really frustrated with this one, found that I was losing all this time while the chef lolly-gags and quips about ingredients...

Until I realized: don't LISTEN to him. Just read what he says (if you read fast). Once I did that, I could sometimes get 2 ingredients at ONE of his standing spots. It still took a couple tries to get the "lucky" list on ingredients , but it only took a couple minutes once I realized to just read instead of listen to him.

• 2 months later...

[edit]OK, I finally got it - in one try even - my points below still stand, and actually are reinforced by what I now know...

**Don't throw the items at him, throw it AT HIS FEET!**

If you're in action-cam mode, the marker should be a bit below his feet (he's still marked). Worked with every item for me.

[/edit]

Seriously, this COULD be a fun minigame if it actually worked.

I threw him the right ingredient a dozen times - straight at him - but to no effect.

And yes, the path was clear as far as I could see, and he wasn't moving - I threw the same ingredient several times without any result. It would be nice if there were actually ANY kind of response, perhaps a simple "you missed"?

The challenge should be playing the game, not fighting the mechanics.

It's like some of the jumping puzzles where the actualy "challenge" isn't the jumping but finding a way to SEE anything because the camera screws up all the time. No fun, no skill challenge either.

• 1 month later...

Personally I found this quite amusing and entertaining but wouldn't bother doing it again if that were an option. It took a few tries, but then again this is a mastery point, so the difficulty level is about right.

I don't expect it's for everyone, but then again, that's why there are other mastery points available.

I'm struggling to understand how people are getting so worked up about a stew.