A thought about Shattered Observatory

I don't know if I consider this a suggestion, a criticism, or something else, but I recently had a thought while running the Shattered Observatory fractal recently regarding the first boss you face. What if instead of it always being the crazed norn it was instead a random boss each time? One with some similar mechanics but different ones as well? It could be random each time you play or it could a different boss the higher the difficulty. I know they probably wouldn't be able to implement such an idea right now, but, at least on paper anyway, it would probably make the fractal a bit more interesting.

What do you guys think? Would this idea change up the fractal for the better or worst?

This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

> @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

I did consider that, which why I also suggested the different bosses could be set on different tiers as well (ex. boss 1 on T1, boss 2 on T2, etc.) which would eliminate the need to re-roll the instances

Even if it changes based on tier, I'm sorry to say I see no benefit to this. Those seeking to learn a fractal do so on lower difficulties, where the risk of dying is far less and the player base a bit more forgiving of mistakes. Having it be a completely different boss early on but different later would negate this training ability, as well as be arbitrarily "locked" content for those who only seek to complete the highest possible tier. It would be a slight pity if a decently cool boss appeared at T2 but one never got to see it because they only ever complete T4s.

Not a good idea. Random boss mobs for the same encounter have rarely been received well, since you'll never hit the same difficulty. Reminds me of the Ele Pairs in Wildstar's Datascape - anyone who played it might remember the difference between, for example, Water/Air and Water/Fire and that one of those pairs was slightly ... despised by everyone.

The boss fights have different mechanics at different tiers, so I think there's already sufficient distinction for Shattered. I don't think it's interesting enough for Shattered Observatory for the devs to devote resources to changing how it works now.

However, I do like the idea in general. So as the Fractal team designs the next new fractals, I hope they consider it. Specifically:

* Tier 4 would still be Tier 3 plus added mechanics, and T3 = T2 plus [stuff], T2 = T1 plus [new challenge]

* Instead of showing the same boss animation/name, it would be a different boss.

So for example:

* T1: Norn, the channels a different animal form at 66% & 33%, causing AoE knockdowns

* T2: Elemental, that changes from Air to Earth to Fire to Water at 75%, 50%, 25%, with AoE knocks plus AoE damage fields.

* T3: An Ooze that splits at breakpoints, with AoE knocks, plus AoE damage, plus overlapping shields

* T4: Colin (not _that_ Colin, I mean [the one from the labyrinth](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Labyrinthine_Horror): big grin, swings a sword (and swings it again), knocks you down like a ~~hype~~ freight train, and promises loot Soon™.

> @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

Oh I remember those days lol omg moss man house and that tree next to his house lol

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> > This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

>

> Oh I remember those days lol omg moss man house and that tree next to his house lol

We all stayed on the house,while we dps'ed him, with some exception,when he feared us. There were nice,those days lol.

> @"SidewayS.3789" said:

> > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > > @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> > > This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

> >

> > Oh I remember those days lol omg moss man house and that tree next to his house lol

>

> We all stayed on the house,while we dps'ed him, with some exception,when he feared us. There were nice,those days lol.

And when they fixed that we stayed in the tree killing him, after that in the water and then back to tree.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"SidewayS.3789" said:

> > > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > > > @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> > > > This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

> > >

> > > Oh I remember those days lol omg moss man house and that tree next to his house lol

> >

> > We all stayed on the house,while we dps'ed him, with some exception,when he feared us. There were nice,those days lol.

>

> And when they fixed that we stayed in the tree killing him, after that in the water and then back to tree.

Lol

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"SidewayS.3789" said:

> > > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > > > @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> > > > This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

> > >

> > > Oh I remember those days lol omg moss man house and that tree next to his house lol

> >

> > We all stayed on the house,while we dps'ed him, with some exception,when he feared us. There were nice,those days lol.

>

> And when they fixed that we stayed in the tree killing him, after that in the water and then back to tree.

Good times :)

> @"Eramonster.2718" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"SidewayS.3789" said:

> > > > @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > > > > @"TarkaTarquol.4856" said:

> > > > > This harkens back to the days when Fractals were completely random for three tiers then a boss fractal. Players would enter and leave, constantly re-rolling what fractal they got until they at least hit Swampland first, because back then it was an extremely quick and easy to do fractal. I feel if this was implemented somehow, players would do the same, simply re-rolling the first boss until the easiest one appeared, making the potential random boss completely moot.

> > > >

> > > > Oh I remember those days lol omg moss man house and that tree next to his house lol

> > >

> > > We all stayed on the house,while we dps'ed him, with some exception,when he feared us. There were nice,those days lol.

> >

> > And when they fixed that we stayed in the tree killing him, after that in the water and then back to tree.

>

> Good times :)

Or another note : "OMFG !!! NOOOB !! Bring him in the water !!!!! NOOOBBBBB!!!!!!!"

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The boss fights have different mechanics at different tiers, so I think there's already sufficient distinction for Shattered. I don't think it's interesting enough for Shattered Observatory for the devs to devote resources to changing how it works now.

>

> However, I do like the idea in general. So as the Fractal team designs the next new fractals, I hope they consider it. Specifically:

> * Tier 4 would still be Tier 3 plus added mechanics, and T3 = T2 plus [stuff], T2 = T1 plus [new challenge]

> * Instead of showing the same boss animation/name, it would be a different boss.

>

> So for example:

> * T1: Norn, the channels a different animal form at 66% & 33%, causing AoE knockdowns

> * T2: Elemental, that changes from Air to Earth to Fire to Water at 75%, 50%, 25%, with AoE knocks plus AoE damage fields.

> * T3: An Ooze that splits at breakpoints, with AoE knocks, plus AoE damage, plus overlapping shields

> * T4: Colin (not _that_ Colin, I mean [the one from the labyrinth](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Labyrinthine_Horror): big grin, swings a sword (and swings it again), knocks you down like a ~~hype~~ freight train, and promises loot Soon™.

>

>

Well, when you put it like that, we should probably leave SO as is. That said, I like where you took my idea, and since there are 5 more spots they can fill with new fractals I hope they'll consider using this for one of them