Celestial gear time gated in 2018. What's up with that?

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > I would rather have easy-to-get time-gated items than items that require days of farming just to find one. (Maguuma lily, freshwater pearl.)

>

> That's a good point.

Or just buy them off the TP.

Sure, they are pricey, but gold dribbles or drops into our accounts from everything we do. I'm okay with paying someone who loves farming to avoid spending my own time "farming just to find one" of anything.

I find that no matter how stupid, pointless, or unnecessary anything in this game happens to be, there's always a contingent of players who show up to fabricate reasons why it "makes sense" and "doesn't need to be changed."

Fact 1: There's nothing special or OP about this stat combo.

Fact 2: It's time-gated in a uniquely obnoxious way that no other combos are.

Contrarian bedbug-fact 1: That makes sense.

Contrarian bedbug-fact 2: It ought to stay that way.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > @"SlateSloan.3654" said:

> > > > i hardly play nowadays . have no time to run after items, ressources for month to actively play with others or to be allowed to play with others cause i grinded the gear they want to see or exclude me from the squad, zerg or whatever. done with that. gw1 was accessable for everyone by just playing the story further. kitten that money drainage. no im not poor, i could by any time buy enough gems to gold to directly get anything ingame, but thats no game i play its shopping over expensive pixel crap in alot of unfinished business cases.

> > >

> > > I don't know which meta build uses full celestial now. You can simply take armor and weapons with non-cele stats and use cele trinkets since they are basically free to get.

> > >

> > > If you don't have much time to play the game, gear won't carry you anyways, so why bother with exact build when you can just make ~5% worse alternative.

> >

> > WvW Scourge. Used to be WvW guard, before minstrel meta. So... Yeah. You could also get full cele exo set from reward tracks.

>

> It's not full cele though. It's mix with viper, grieving or trailblazers. Some mix it with marauder too.

Metabattle's build is full cele. You can substitute for griever/viper but you die more. TRailblazer isnt a good option in that build

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > > @"SlateSloan.3654" said:

> > > > > i hardly play nowadays . have no time to run after items, ressources for month to actively play with others or to be allowed to play with others cause i grinded the gear they want to see or exclude me from the squad, zerg or whatever. done with that. gw1 was accessable for everyone by just playing the story further. kitten that money drainage. no im not poor, i could by any time buy enough gems to gold to directly get anything ingame, but thats no game i play its shopping over expensive pixel crap in alot of unfinished business cases.

> > > >

> > > > I don't know which meta build uses full celestial now. You can simply take armor and weapons with non-cele stats and use cele trinkets since they are basically free to get.

> > > >

> > > > If you don't have much time to play the game, gear won't carry you anyways, so why bother with exact build when you can just make ~5% worse alternative.

> > >

> > > WvW Scourge. Used to be WvW guard, before minstrel meta. So... Yeah. You could also get full cele exo set from reward tracks.

> >

> > It's not full cele though. It's mix with viper, grieving or trailblazers. Some mix it with marauder too.

>

> Metabattle's build is full cele. You can substitute for griever/viper but you die more. TRailblazer isnt a good option in that build

Metabattle is full of unfinished/unoptimized/outdated builds. They offer good guidelines, but should never be taken 100% seriously.

If you're a competent player, you would know that cele/grieving mix gives better results when it comes to damage output compared to full cele. You dont magically die more because enemy hits you for additional 500. I've seen players doing just fine without almost any extra toughness/vitality. The key of survival is in positioning and active damage mitigation, gear only gives you more room of error.

On the other side, if you're just a casual, you wouldn't need to finish any specific build, you could just run some cheap alternative because it's good enough.

So whether you craft full cele, or mix dire with grieving or whatever, it's up to you. You can adapt and move on, or you can hopelessly complain about it. In the end, nobody really cares what you wear as long as you're not dead weight and can do your role somewhat properly.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > > > @"steki.1478" said:

> > > > > > @"SlateSloan.3654" said:

> > > > > > i hardly play nowadays . have no time to run after items, ressources for month to actively play with others or to be allowed to play with others cause i grinded the gear they want to see or exclude me from the squad, zerg or whatever. done with that. gw1 was accessable for everyone by just playing the story further. kitten that money drainage. no im not poor, i could by any time buy enough gems to gold to directly get anything ingame, but thats no game i play its shopping over expensive pixel crap in alot of unfinished business cases.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't know which meta build uses full celestial now. You can simply take armor and weapons with non-cele stats and use cele trinkets since they are basically free to get.

> > > > >

> > > > > If you don't have much time to play the game, gear won't carry you anyways, so why bother with exact build when you can just make ~5% worse alternative.

> > > >

> > > > WvW Scourge. Used to be WvW guard, before minstrel meta. So... Yeah. You could also get full cele exo set from reward tracks.

> > >

> > > It's not full cele though. It's mix with viper, grieving or trailblazers. Some mix it with marauder too.

> >

> > Metabattle's build is full cele. You can substitute for griever/viper but you die more. TRailblazer isnt a good option in that build

>

> Metabattle is full of unfinished/unoptimized/outdated builds. They offer good guidelines, but should never be taken 100% seriously.

>

> If you're a competent player, you would know that cele/grieving mix gives better results when it comes to damage output compared to full cele. You dont magically die more because enemy hits you for additional 500. I've seen players doing just fine without almost any extra toughness/vitality. The key of survival is in positioning and active damage mitigation, gear only gives you more room of error.

>

> On the other side, if you're just a casual, you wouldn't need to finish any specific build, you could just run some cheap alternative because it's good enough.

>

> So whether you craft full cele, or mix dire with grieving or whatever, it's up to you. You can adapt and move on, or you can hopelessly complain about it. In the end, nobody really cares what you wear as long as you're not dead weight and can do your role somewhat properly.

Full cele is a safe build. I would highly recommend it to people who want that sustain. However, mixing and matching stats depending on your enemy and your own squad comp, is different. Vabbi scourges can probably pull off full griever, gandara might not. I agree with the adapting part.

I think this is just one example of where we have an outdated gearing system, frankly. I think it's time Anet do some serious brainstorming on how to refresh the way gearing and attributes work.

I'd suggest adding flexibility to the system by making attribute combinations permanently unlockable rather than having to work hard for every individual gear piece. But I realize that's a major change. Still, I think it's time for something shake up the system.