Please make hair unisex.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Fraghound.5730" said:

> In all honestly I would ADORE having the hairstyles all unisex. Let the ladies have the guy options and visa versa (like the charr horns). There are some male styles I would grab in a heartbeat for my ladies without second though. Some male options have such nice highlights, undercuts, and fluff - oh baby I wish I could get them on my girl toon right now.

>

> I would also like asura ear options to be unisex (yeah I'm looking at you, male torn ears!) but thats I different topic I guess.

Male hairstyles on females? Sure.

Female hairstyles on males? Errr.... no.

> @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Wrong

> > > > > > > Thats still not a female hair style attached to a male character or vice a versa. That's a female hair style attached to a female character. She isn't cross dressing, she is a transgender.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > LMAO Oh my. If you want, make another thread about this observation, and we can discuss it, but not in this thread. It's already derailed enough. :p

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > > > > > lol about people saying "if charrs and humans can wear the same hairstyle then they are the same" really? are you serious? it's not like they have lots of other differences, like one of them being a giant cat with horrns and 4 ears, no? nono, it must be the hairstyle that makes the difference XDDD

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thank you. I seriously thought maybe I was missing something in that counter argument. :3

> > > > >

> > > > > What are you blabbering about? We are talking about cross gender hair styles, that's what this thread is about. That IS cross dressing, and I don't think it's appropriate.

> > > > >

> > > > > Your argument is that it is appropriate and it already exists, but I gave a rebuttal that made your argument void. Tell me how that is derailing the topic.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm a guy with a fairly long ponytail which happens to be dyed purple and blue. I can guarantee you that I'm not a crossdresser or that I want to look female/feminine, I just think that I look good with long , dyed hair.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Where do you draw the line though?

> > >

> > > There are hair styles like pig tails and wavy hair with a giant flower, would you wear that?

> >

> > I don't draw any line. If it would look good on me, I'd probably wear it. I just have that crazy belief that everybody should wear what they want to wear and what makes them the most happy.

> >

>

> Ok so before a non-specific third party that I am not allowed to mention falsely accuses me of attacking this person. Lets establish the context of the question. I'm asking this question because I am struggling to understand this other person's perspective, thats because they are very different to mine and I am attempting to be respectful of both this person and the forum policy. This is not designed to derail the post but to add value.

>

> Do you believe that there is no line or are you not drawing the line for another reason other than the one you stated, happiness?

>

> You see when I examine a post like this, I look for some consistent truths that might be the cornerstone of your perspective. If I can find that, I can use all sorts of logic and reasoning to connect the 2 points and form a proper understanding of your perspective. But your explanation is feelings. The trouble is that its not a consistent truth. (That isn't an opinionated statement made to insult or attack anyone, thanks anonymous third party)

>

> If that's the case then it makes me wonder what you really mean by this. That's because what you're saying implies a LOT of things, most of which I am not allowed to say in case I accidently offend somebody with my indirect accidental perspective.

>

> Sorry about all of the extreme PC'ness, I'm usually pretty fair dinkum and down the line when I speak.

There is no truth or facts because it's all opinion.

The only truth is that I can't possibly hurt you or limit your freedom when I'm wearing a hairstyle that you would consider feminine.

It's my personal opinion that everybody should be allowed to wear what they want to wear, regardless of their gender.

I believe that what ever feels right to you, is the right thing for you.

There are no truths or facts. Just my belief that everybody should be allowed to feel happy.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Wrong

> > > > > > > > Thats still not a female hair style attached to a male character or vice a versa. That's a female hair style attached to a female character. She isn't cross dressing, she is a transgender.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > LMAO Oh my. If you want, make another thread about this observation, and we can discuss it, but not in this thread. It's already derailed enough. :p

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > > > > > > lol about people saying "if charrs and humans can wear the same hairstyle then they are the same" really? are you serious? it's not like they have lots of other differences, like one of them being a giant cat with horrns and 4 ears, no? nono, it must be the hairstyle that makes the difference XDDD

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thank you. I seriously thought maybe I was missing something in that counter argument. :3

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What are you blabbering about? We are talking about cross gender hair styles, that's what this thread is about. That IS cross dressing, and I don't think it's appropriate.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Your argument is that it is appropriate and it already exists, but I gave a rebuttal that made your argument void. Tell me how that is derailing the topic.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm a guy with a fairly long ponytail which happens to be dyed purple and blue. I can guarantee you that I'm not a crossdresser or that I want to look female/feminine, I just think that I look good with long , dyed hair.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Where do you draw the line though?

> > > >

> > > > There are hair styles like pig tails and wavy hair with a giant flower, would you wear that?

> > >

> > > I don't draw any line. If it would look good on me, I'd probably wear it. I just have that crazy belief that everybody should wear what they want to wear and what makes them the most happy.

> > >

> >

> > Ok so before a non-specific third party that I am not allowed to mention falsely accuses me of attacking this person. Lets establish the context of the question. I'm asking this question because I am struggling to understand this other person's perspective, thats because they are very different to mine and I am attempting to be respectful of both this person and the forum policy. This is not designed to derail the post but to add value.

> >

> > Do you believe that there is no line or are you not drawing the line for another reason other than the one you stated, happiness?

> >

> > You see when I examine a post like this, I look for some consistent truths that might be the cornerstone of your perspective. If I can find that, I can use all sorts of logic and reasoning to connect the 2 points and form a proper understanding of your perspective. But your explanation is feelings. The trouble is that its not a consistent truth. (That isn't an opinionated statement made to insult or attack anyone, thanks anonymous third party)

> >

> > If that's the case then it makes me wonder what you really mean by this. That's because what you're saying implies a LOT of things, most of which I am not allowed to say in case I accidently offend somebody with my indirect accidental perspective.

> >

> > Sorry about all of the extreme PC'ness, I'm usually pretty fair dinkum and down the line when I speak.

>

> There is no truth or facts because it's all opinion.

> The only truth is that I can't possibly hurt you or limit your freedom when I'm wearing a hairstyle that you would consider feminine.

> It's my personal opinion that everybody should be allowed to wear what they want to wear, regardless of their gender.

> I believe that what ever feels right to you, is the right thing for you.

> There are no truths or facts. Just my belief that everybody should be allowed to feel happy.

Ok so before a non-specific third party that I am not allowed to mention falsely accuses me of attacking this person. Lets establish the context of the reply. I'm responding because I am struggling to understand this other person's perspective, thats because it is very different to mine and I am attempting to be respectful of both this person and the forum policy. This is not designed to derail the post but to add value.

You know I think I agree with you in a sense, there is merit in saying that nothing can be true. But there is something to be said for personal truth, which you indicate you think is real because you said you have beliefs (not to peg you down or anything, this is just sincerely my observation), and beliefs always require some kind of truth; how can a person willingly believe in a lie?

"I believe that what ever feels right to you, is the right thing for you."

That would be your personal truth, maybe its not true for everyone, but I think it's true for you (unless you lied lol); and then to anyone else, obviously that would be an opinion (not a bad thing, opinions are good too).

So, I know this is being a bit trying and I might be pushing it a bit. But would you be willing to say that there are societal truths? That people living in a society believe are true for them?

This is a perspective I have, and I really get the feeling we have common ground there, that's why I am being a little bit bold to ask that last question.

The reason I wanted to engage this deeply and from such a complex psychological standpoint is actually (also because intuition says you'd be good to have tricky discussions with) to bring it all back to hair lol. Even if it's not your truth or my truth, I get this feeling that a societal truth about hair, is that long luscious hair with a colourful flower pinned flower in the side (for example, the gender stuff can go either way) is a female stereotype.

I even think that's a truth in the Gw2 universe (let's skip the eplispy inducing aura spam on max sized charr, that's a whole different thing that would take us way off topic). Aside for the aforementioned, this idea of crossing gender stereotypes; I think has truth in the game. I can say that with confidence, simply because despite the game being very progressive with the inclusion of homosexual couples, transgenders and cross-species relationships, this one thing seems to go totally skipped. Do you think thats fair to say?

I'm not sure how much of that you agree with, and I don't expect to find common ground in everything. Hey I might even be wayyyyy off, but I'm glad we can have good dialogue about this nonetheless.

> @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> i also want a big burly norn with pink pigtails and a magic wand. Anet, make it happen pls!

Exactly this is what will happen if unisex hair appear. Also dont forget pink crazy mustache and butterfly wings :D I know why people doing it... ugliest norn gets all atention, but it game loosing immersion feeling..

What's wrong with crossdressing?

There's nothing wrong with a man with long hair just as there's nothing wrong with a woman with shaved hair. Or a man wanting to look feminine and a woman wanting to look masculine are both fine. People should be allowed to embrace their sexuality in peace.

Just because it goes against someone's beliefs doesn't mean it's wrong.

This is the truth in a nuthell: Just because YOU wouldn't wear a certain hairstyle doesn't mean your opinion or feelings about it should stop everyone else. Game or otherwise. As I hinted earlier, I think the man bun is as ugly as sin, but more power to the guys that love it.

Yes, I also think some of it's out of place or inappropriate, like that pink-haired and pink-bearded guy who spoke in front of a congressional committee, but I'll fight tooth and nail for his right to have that choice.

And that's the bottom line: the right to choose.

> @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Zlater.6789" said:

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Wrong

> > > > > > > > > Thats still not a female hair style attached to a male character or vice a versa. That's a female hair style attached to a female character. She isn't cross dressing, she is a transgender.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > LMAO Oh my. If you want, make another thread about this observation, and we can discuss it, but not in this thread. It's already derailed enough. :p

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > > > > > > > lol about people saying "if charrs and humans can wear the same hairstyle then they are the same" really? are you serious? it's not like they have lots of other differences, like one of them being a giant cat with horrns and 4 ears, no? nono, it must be the hairstyle that makes the difference XDDD

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Thank you. I seriously thought maybe I was missing something in that counter argument. :3

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What are you blabbering about? We are talking about cross gender hair styles, that's what this thread is about. That IS cross dressing, and I don't think it's appropriate.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Your argument is that it is appropriate and it already exists, but I gave a rebuttal that made your argument void. Tell me how that is derailing the topic.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm a guy with a fairly long ponytail which happens to be dyed purple and blue. I can guarantee you that I'm not a crossdresser or that I want to look female/feminine, I just think that I look good with long , dyed hair.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Where do you draw the line though?

> > > > >

> > > > > There are hair styles like pig tails and wavy hair with a giant flower, would you wear that?

> > > >

> > > > I don't draw any line. If it would look good on me, I'd probably wear it. I just have that crazy belief that everybody should wear what they want to wear and what makes them the most happy.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ok so before a non-specific third party that I am not allowed to mention falsely accuses me of attacking this person. Lets establish the context of the question. I'm asking this question because I am struggling to understand this other person's perspective, thats because they are very different to mine and I am attempting to be respectful of both this person and the forum policy. This is not designed to derail the post but to add value.

> > >

> > > Do you believe that there is no line or are you not drawing the line for another reason other than the one you stated, happiness?

> > >

> > > You see when I examine a post like this, I look for some consistent truths that might be the cornerstone of your perspective. If I can find that, I can use all sorts of logic and reasoning to connect the 2 points and form a proper understanding of your perspective. But your explanation is feelings. The trouble is that its not a consistent truth. (That isn't an opinionated statement made to insult or attack anyone, thanks anonymous third party)

> > >

> > > If that's the case then it makes me wonder what you really mean by this. That's because what you're saying implies a LOT of things, most of which I am not allowed to say in case I accidently offend somebody with my indirect accidental perspective.

> > >

> > > Sorry about all of the extreme PC'ness, I'm usually pretty fair dinkum and down the line when I speak.

> >

> > There is no truth or facts because it's all opinion.

> > The only truth is that I can't possibly hurt you or limit your freedom when I'm wearing a hairstyle that you would consider feminine.

> > It's my personal opinion that everybody should be allowed to wear what they want to wear, regardless of their gender.

> > I believe that what ever feels right to you, is the right thing for you.

> > There are no truths or facts. Just my belief that everybody should be allowed to feel happy.

>

> Ok so before a non-specific third party that I am not allowed to mention falsely accuses me of attacking this person. Lets establish the context of the reply. I'm responding because I am struggling to understand this other person's perspective, thats because it is very different to mine and I am attempting to be respectful of both this person and the forum policy. This is not designed to derail the post but to add value.

>

> You know I think I agree with you in a sense, there is merit in saying that nothing can be true. But there is something to be said for personal truth, which you indicate you think is real because you said you have beliefs (not to peg you down or anything, this is just sincerely my observation), and beliefs always require some kind of truth; how can a person willingly believe in a lie?

>

> "I believe that what ever feels right to you, is the right thing for you."

>

> That would be your personal truth, maybe its not true for everyone, but I think it's true for you (unless you lied lol); and then to anyone else, obviously that would be an opinion (not a bad thing, opinions are good too).

>

> So, I know this is being a bit trying and I might be pushing it a bit. But would you be willing to say that there are societal truths? That people living in a society believe are true for them?

>

> This is a perspective I have, and I really get the feeling we have common ground there, that's why I am being a little bit bold to ask that last question.

> The reason I wanted to engage this deeply and from such a complex psychological standpoint is actually (also because intuition says you'd be good to have tricky discussions with) to bring it all back to hair lol. Even if it's not your truth or my truth, I get this feeling that a societal truth about hair, is that long luscious hair with a colourful flower pinned flower in the side (for example, the gender stuff can go either way) is a female stereotype.

>

> I even think that's a truth in the Gw2 universe (let's skip the eplispy inducing aura spam on max sized charr, that's a whole different thing that would take us way off topic). Aside for the aforementioned, this idea of crossing gender stereotypes; I think has truth in the game. I can say that with confidence, simply because despite the game being very progressive with the inclusion of homosexual couples, transgenders and cross-species relationships, this one thing seems to go totally skipped. Do you think thats fair to say?

>

> I'm not sure how much of that you agree with, and I don't expect to find common ground in everything. Hey I might even be wayyyyy off, but I'm glad we can have good dialogue about this nonetheless.

Interesting points.

Keep in mind, regarding your reference to societal truths, that there is really only one solid measure of such (at least here in the US where the game is developed). We as a society have chosen to not repeal those elements of the founding laws of the land which codify the right to self expression, including dress and the like. By definition the decision to live in a society that codifies those rights makes those rights a truth for the society.

Of course this is private property and so certain rights are not guaranteed, but the point responded to referenced society as a whole.

Odd. People have turned this into a race argument when the OP specifically stated sex. Oo

I completely agree with OP, hair should be unisex.

Many women style their hair "like men" and vice versa in real life, why shouldn't they be able to do so in game too?

It's not like hair only grows in a specific way per gender.

the fact is:

-for those who like it, it will add much more customization to their characters.

-for those who don't, it doesn't affect them in anyway. if it's about immersion breaking, it's already happening. the same people that made goofy/funny characters will keep doing it and the people who want to make serious characters will still do it.

Also, not all feminine hair will look ridiculous on a guy, here's an example. https://pre00.deviantart.net/12e6/th/pre/i/2017/180/8/f/estinien_in_stormblood_first_cutscene_by_fantasy_girl19-dbeg9ld.jpg

in FFXIV one of the most badass characters has what would be traditionally called a female/feminine hairstyle.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> the fact is:

> -for those who like it, it will add much more customization to their characters.

> -for those who don't, it doesn't affect them in anyway. if it's about immersion breaking, it's already happening. the same people that made goofy/funny characters will keep doing it and the people who want to make serious characters will still do it.

>

> Also, not all feminine hair will look ridiculous on a guy, here's an example. https://pre00.deviantart.net/12e6/th/pre/i/2017/180/8/f/estinien_in_stormblood_first_cutscene_by_fantasy_girl19-dbeg9ld.jpg

> in FFXIV one of the most kitten characters has what would be traditionally called a female/feminine hairstyle.

That doesn’t count as that is a “male” elf, obviously.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> Again, this is a topic about hair. Don't go down that rabbit hole. It won't be pretty.

Exactly, our options for hairstyles are extremely limited compared to most other things in the character builder. Just look around in the real world and you will see all sorts of hairstyles - some variations on what is the norm for the culture some completely out there. Why should the idea of increasing options in the character builder be at all controversial?

> @"intox.6347" said:

> > @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> > i also want a big burly norn with pink pigtails and a magic wand. Anet, make it happen pls!

>

> Exactly this is what will happen if unisex hair appear. Also dont forget pink crazy mustache and butterfly wings :D I know why people doing it... ugliest norn gets all atention, but it game loosing immersion feeling..

BTW, I think arguments about immersion tend to lose a bit of weight once you look at what skins and dyes are out there. :)

> @"Matick.4132" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > they could.....maybe....add the Chinese exclusive hairstyles?

> >

>

>

> Chinese exclusive hairstyles?! :o

>

about a week ago a saw a video about some kind of premium option in the chinese version, eventually it showed a long tail for females with several bounds along the way.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

>

> about a week ago a saw a video about some kind of premium option in the chinese version, eventually it showed a long tail for females with several bounds along the way.

Interesting, indeed.

So because there are so many regional servers, we don’t get to see them eventually?

So if: are there any other region-specific styles and why is it there in the first place, in a game distributed for world-wide interactions and coop?

> @"Matick.4132" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> >

> > about a week ago a saw a video about some kind of premium option in the chinese version, eventually it showed a long tail for females with several bounds along the way.

>

> Interesting, indeed.

> So because there are so many regional servers, we don’t get to see them eventually?

>

> So if: are there any other region-specific styles and why is it there in the first place, in a game distributed for world-wide interactions and coop?

The chinese version of the game is a completely separate matter. Its operated by a different company and uses a different business model.