Why is spamming 3 a viable build?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the 3 spam that is the problem. That's a pretty balanced skill IMO. It's the quickness + ranged stun/daze from other traits. The ranged stun is a problem because you usually can't see it coming with the thief's mobility and stealth. I mean, maybe if they're really obvious and run straight at you with no stealth, you can expect it and pre-dodge, but you need to save those dodges for the 3-spam, so .. yeah. It's a toss-up.

The quickness then guarantees the thief will land a full unload if you don't have a stunbreak or it's off cooldown. From there, you're probably nearly dead and need to dodge away + heal. If your defenses/dodges are off cooldown, you're just dead.

It's far from the worst thing in the game right now. It's just really cheesy.

> @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> >

> > Platinum

> >

> > OmegaLUL

>

> If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

>

> WITH RIFLE

>

> Seriously think about that a bit.

There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

> @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> > >

> > > Platinum

> > >

> > > OmegaLUL

> >

> > If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

> >

> > WITH RIFLE

> >

> > Seriously think about that a bit.

>

> There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

How do you know they are p/p deadeye by looking at the leader board? Lol

> @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> > > >

> > > > Platinum

> > > >

> > > > OmegaLUL

> > >

> > > If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

> > >

> > > WITH RIFLE

> > >

> > > Seriously think about that a bit.

> >

> > There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

>

> How do you know they are p/p deadeye by looking at the leader board? Lol

On mid/high plat division we get mostly the same players on the match so we know what each other run and known them by name.

Anyways, people on plat doesnt know how to dodge so I hope those thiefs keep running it and spamming 3-3-3, I like to see people reactions on forums.

And if anyone is wondering, this is the build:

[https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo "https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo")

rip thief, mirage and scourge on next balance patch

thank god each balance patch takes 2/3 months

> @"Paarthurnax.8931" said:

> > > > @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> > > > >

> > > > > Platinum

> > > > >

> > > > > OmegaLUL

> > > >

> > > > If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

> > > >

> > > > WITH RIFLE

> > > >

> > > > Seriously think about that a bit.

> > >

> > > There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

> >

> > How do you know they are p/p deadeye by looking at the leader board? Lol

>

> On mid/high plat division we get mostly the same players on the match so we know what each other run and known them by name.

> Anyways, people on plat doesnt know how to dodge so I hope those thiefs keep running it and spamming 3-3-3, I like to see people reactions on forums.

>

> And if anyone is wondering, this is the build:

> [https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo "https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo")

>

> rip thief, mirage and scourge on next balance patch

> thank god each balance patch takes 2/3 months

I mean pp thief is a trash build though, how are people whining about it so much

Or did the last balance patch actually enable this to be a thing?

it´s well counterable but kills scourges and annyone that doesn´t watch out/know how to fight it. It´s huge damage in short time if used right and as usual people don´t want to be killed in 2-3 seconds. you see QQ about fresh air weavers, power shatter or this one due to burst capability. And it´s easy to use the damage part. I could down as fast with my berserker(warrior) build and have more CC and facetank capability so i don´t give much on this QQ.

> @"Paarthurnax.8931" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> > > > >

> > > > > Platinum

> > > > >

> > > > > OmegaLUL

> > > >

> > > > If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

> > > >

> > > > WITH RIFLE

> > > >

> > > > Seriously think about that a bit.

> > >

> > > There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

> >

> > How do you know they are p/p deadeye by looking at the leader board? Lol

>

> On mid/high plat division we get mostly the same players on the match so we know what each other run and known them by name.

> Anyways, people on plat doesnt know how to dodge so I hope those thiefs keep running it and spamming 3-3-3, I like to see people reactions on forums.

>

> And if anyone is wondering, this is the build:

> [https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo "https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo")

>

> rip thief, mirage and scourge on next balance patch

> thank god each balance patch takes 2/3 months

yeah the enemies were really good, a 5 signet warrior and a dp thief with venom and trap on dodge

i mean come on everyone knows this build is effective against people who play worse than bots, it proves nothing

> @"Kasdwer.3721" said:

> > @"Paarthurnax.8931" said:

> > > @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Platinum

> > > > > >

> > > > > > OmegaLUL

> > > > >

> > > > > If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

> > > > >

> > > > > WITH RIFLE

> > > > >

> > > > > Seriously think about that a bit.

> > > >

> > > > There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

> > >

> > > How do you know they are p/p deadeye by looking at the leader board? Lol

> >

> > On mid/high plat division we get mostly the same players on the match so we know what each other run and known them by name.

> > Anyways, people on plat doesnt know how to dodge so I hope those thiefs keep running it and spamming 3-3-3, I like to see people reactions on forums.

> >

> > And if anyone is wondering, this is the build:

> > [https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo "https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo")

> >

> > rip thief, mirage and scourge on next balance patch

> > thank god each balance patch takes 2/3 months

>

> yeah the enemies were really good, a 5 signet warrior and a dp thief with venom and trap on dodge

> i mean come on everyone knows this build is effective against people who play worse than bots, it proves nothing

It's a bad build that takes low effort to hit 20k+, there is a stun when you press f1, either you want it or not, youre going to get a pretty big hit of 10k+ but after that depends if youre a good player or nah, speaking from experience, most people on platinum just let those thieves burst them, that's why I made the video, I hope that more thieves become aware of this build and it just becomes a 3-3-3-3 spam until the next balance patch, I personally don't use the build but it's very OP, because it takes no skill to reach 40k crits. You don't even need to finish someone, just keep spamming 3.

My problem with this build is that when there is a thief on the enemy team that uses it, my team doesn't know how to deal with it. And that's coming from plat division where the "good" players are supposed to be.

> @"Panda.3620" said:

> > @"Kasdwer.3721" said:

> > > @"Paarthurnax.8931" said:

> > > > > > @"Legatus.3608" said:

> > > > > > > @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Platinum

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > OmegaLUL

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If you're talking about vallun the guy was top 10 or something with rifle last season

> > > > > >

> > > > > > WITH RIFLE

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Seriously think about that a bit.

> > > > >

> > > > > There's at least 3-4 p/p deadeye's in the top 50 right now. Vallun placed in gold this season but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a stupid build.

> > > >

> > > > How do you know they are p/p deadeye by looking at the leader board? Lol

> > >

> > > On mid/high plat division we get mostly the same players on the match so we know what each other run and known them by name.

> > > Anyways, people on plat doesnt know how to dodge so I hope those thiefs keep running it and spamming 3-3-3, I like to see people reactions on forums.

> > >

> > > And if anyone is wondering, this is the build:

> > > [https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo "https://youtube.com/watch?v=tdREqwNTQuo")

> > >

> > > rip thief, mirage and scourge on next balance patch

> > > thank god each balance patch takes 2/3 months

> >

> > yeah the enemies were really good, a 5 signet warrior and a dp thief with venom and trap on dodge

> > i mean come on everyone knows this build is effective against people who play worse than bots, it proves nothing

>

> It's a bad build that takes low effort to hit 20k+, there is a stun when you press f1, either you want it or not, youre going to get a pretty big hit of 10k+ but after that depends if youre a good player or nah, speaking from experience, most people on platinum just let those thieves burst them, that's why I made the video, I hope that more thieves become aware of this build and it just becomes a 3-3-3-3 spam until the next balance patch, I personally don't use the build but it's very OP, because it takes no skill to reach 40k crits. You don't even need to finish someone, just keep spamming 3.

>

> My problem with this build is that when there is a thief on the enemy team that uses it, my team doesn't know how to deal with it. And that's coming from plat division where the "good" players are supposed to be.

Pressing buttons is too hard for me

Pls nerf thief

> @"Allarius.5670" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > @"Julius Seizure.4985" said:

> > > It’s bad game design, but it works. I have always felt that Thief was designed poorly, being able to spam its single most powerful skill, whether that is Vault, Heartseeker, or Unload over-and-over-and-over again. But the Devs are happy with it and so are a good many players.

> >

> > I've gotta start by sayingthat I think the initiative system is a cool idea. But in practie I think it has failed. It has led to a system where it is impossible to balanec thief skills. You simply cannot balanec weapons skills against the abilitt to cast them back to back, multiple times.

>

> Even looking at it from this angle I think it is possible to balance: you build modifiers into skills to promote combo-ing skills together rather than spamming a single ability. Each ability would remain spammable on its own to a lower effect. Full or improved effectiveness is locked behind sequencing different skills. If done right, you could even build multiples of these chains into a single weapon set for an even more dynamic playstyle. It almost feels like this is what they aimed for and along the way missed the mark.

This is a nice idea. It would basically be incorporating a bit of the design made for assassin in GW1.

> @"shadowpass.4236" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > Everything is viable in low divisions.

>

> Platinum

Well realistically platinum in a game like GW2 doesn't really mean much at this stage, the reality is most of the PvP playerbase (and most of the vaguely competent players) have left the game, the result of which is the "quality" required to be platinum is lower than ever, and if this game had the population it did say 3 years ago, a fair number of the players currently in platinum would be gold/silver and be considered mediocre at best, or at worst 'trash'...

> @"zinkz.7045" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > Everything is viable in low divisions.

> >

> > Platinum

>

> Well realistically platinum in a game like GW2 doesn't really mean much at this stage, the reality is most of the PvP playerbase (and most of the vaguely competent players) have left the game, the result of which is the "quality" required to be platinum is lower than ever, and if this game had the population it did say 3 years ago, a fair number of the players currently in platinum would be gold/silver and be considered mediocre at best, or at worst 'trash'...

>

Agreed.

i usualy enyoy playing aginst it as well as playing it ... Unless my team dies to one over and over XD ... the only way to get me is if i overlook them, but any power class can kill me if i don´t see it coming .... If people want´s to nerf something due to lack of map/battle awarenes the quality is questionable ...

The only reason spamming 3 seems effective is that the players that a person spamming 3 against ALLOW it to be. If you know exactly what the enemy players is going to do before they do it, there should be no reason whatsoever that you should be getting hit with every such attack. The success of a player in Combat depends very much on reading tells and anticipating what an enemy is going to do next so the damage can be mitigated or countered. When facing a player spamming you do not even have to read tells.

I do play p/p on thief with s/p off hand in WvW and can tell you this. In WvW when roaming I can come across the EXACT same proffession using very much the same build and against some p/p #3 spam is effective. These are the players that allow it to be effective. As soon as I encounter someone who knows how to avoid the unloads, be it by dodge, blocks , LOS and the like , I switch to s/x because p/p is now ineffective. I do not feel you can design skills premised on the fact that the quality of the playerbase drops for were that the case virtually every skill in the game would be deemed UNSUITABLE because a player can use said skill to defeat a person of lesser skill.

As to SKILL. There is no more skill involved in pressing 1, 2 and 3 in succession then there is pressing 3 3 and 3 in succession. They both involve pressing A key on the keyboard. If you really want the #3 spamming thief build to be more skillful , there no need to change mechanics to force that on him. Just play skillfully against him and he will either lose the match or learn to use other skills. Unload spam or any spam type build on a thief has a built in penalty , that being all other weapon skills outside #1 are sacrificed.

If you’ve ever tried playing a P/P thief you would quickly find out that it requires skill to play effectively. You need to not die 10000000 times, and be able to cap and takeout foes. I only play P/P with S/P so I can effectively fight players from afar when I’m low and get right in their face when I’m not, plus there are plenty of reflects in the game to counter P/P.

> @"babazhook.6805" said:

> The only reason spamming 3 seems effective is that the players that a person spamming 3 against ALLOW it to be. If you know exactly what the enemy players is going to do before they do it, there should be no reason whatsoever that you should be getting hit with every such attack.

Except all of the tools for countering unload have cooldowns, but unload does not. Unload thief works because the thief can just spam unload until the target runs out of cooldowns at which point the target will die instantly from unload's insane 12k per channel output.

It's also worth noting that for classes with low base health it's entirely possible for a p/p to delete half their health before basi wears off, and once they go below 50% panic strike goes off, which is a auto death due to the immobilize preventing dodging.